Hey all, as the title suggests, I'm having an issue with my Priv and it's keyboard.

The pkb seems to be waaaay over sensitive to touch gestures and will often mistake my finger movement's above the keyboard as delete or other swipe gestures.

This has been going on for some time now, but seems to be getting worse. It's to the point where I can no longer reply on the pkb for typing.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix I should try?
    02-11-17 08:28 AM
    Hey all, as the title suggests, I'm having an issue with my Priv and it's keyboard.

The pkb seems to be waaaay over sensitive to touch gestures and will often mistake my finger movement's above the keyboard as delete or other swipe gestures.

This has been going on for some time now, but seems to be getting worse. It's to the point where I can no longer reply on the pkb for typing.

Hopefully, someone will have a direct answer about the issue. I would suggest trying some of the reboot methods to see if it might just be a hiccup.

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    02-11-17 09:37 AM
    Happens to me often too. It's just not being used to picking up my fingers more as I move around the keyboard compared to previous non-capacitive keyboards.

You can always turn the capacitive keyboard off. Otherwise you just have to train yourself not to drag your fingers across the keyboard as you type. Those are really the 2 options.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-11-17 09:47 AM

Check your BlackBerry keyboard settings. System settings, language and input, BlackBerry keyboard settings. You may have type by swiping and keyboard swipe gestures enabled.
    02-11-17 11:34 AM
    I am also having this problem starting about a week or so ago. Only worse. I can lay the phone flat on the table and watch the launcher swipe between the desktops sometimes. It seems to be 'swiping' all on its own, especially when I am trying to type but also when I let go of the phone compeltely. It seems like a hardware error and is making typing very difficult. Would this be covered under warranty?

edit: guess not. bought last november. Just over a year ago :/
    Last edited by weezul; 02-11-17 at 03:21 PM.
    02-11-17 03:02 PM
    I have also been experiencing the over sensitive PKB as described. Checked all my settings to make sure they hadn't changed with updates... all is good. Just dealing with a wonky PKB of late.

Bob
    02-11-17 03:20 PM
    I am also having this problem starting about a week or so ago. Only worse. I can lay the phone flat on the table and watch the launcher swipe between the desktops sometimes. It seems to be 'swiping' all on its own, especially when I am trying to type but also when I let go of the phone compeltely. It seems like a hardware error and is making typing very difficult. Would this be covered under warranty?

edit: guess not. bought last november. Just over a year ago :/
    Mine also gets this bad once in a while. It's fine 90% of the time, but for the other 10 it's unusable.
    02-11-17 07:00 PM
    Happens to me often too. It's just not being used to picking up my fingers more as I move around the keyboard compared to previous non-capacitive keyboards.

You can always turn the capacitive keyboard off. Otherwise you just have to train yourself not to drag your fingers across the keyboard as you type. Those are really the 2 options.
    No, this is more than not being used to the keyboard. There is something wrong with either the hardware or the software.
    02-11-17 07:01 PM
    No, this is more than not being used to the keyboard. There is something wrong with either the hardware or the software.
    agreed. It's easy to claim otherwise when it's not you using the problem phone. It doesn't just behave normally for a year and then start doing this. Never had any problems with 'false swipes' before. Words would never rub out, apps wouldn't scroll. Now sometimes i'm typing an the message window just flies up the screen and my words start to rub out one by one.
    02-11-17 07:04 PM
    Had this issue slightly so cleared cache and data from apps after 6 months of use. Seems to have helped. Remember clearing cache does not affect loosing info but clearing data on apps resets app to mode when you first installed app.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-12-17 12:55 AM
    Not my experience but ok
    02-12-17 10:42 AM
    Hopefully, someone will have a direct answer about the issue. I would suggest trying some of the reboot methods to see if it might just be a hiccup.

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    I thanks for the advice. I tried rebooting the device in the ways you described.

Even when booted into safe mode the keyboard issues seem to persist. All of the reboots seemed to improve the keyboard performance for a while... in fact as I'm typing this the keyboard is working flawlessly... however after some use the issues seem to reoccur.

Thanks again, and I'll try to keep the thread updated if I find a fix or if I figure out what the source of the issue is.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-12-17 12:36 PM
    Yes, add me to this list...been good lately, but every once in awhile gets over sensitive for sure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my awesome Priv !!!!
    02-12-17 12:43 PM
    Yes, I have had this and it seems to have shown up after an update. If it would just scale back a little it would be better. It doesn't always happen. The other day, though, I watched it go and erase and change what I had written with my hands completely off the keyboard. Sometimes it is when I am going over to Norwegian which I have as my 2nd language on the phone. I am wondering if someone could give a step by step of how do clear up the cache and data. I need to know how to avoid losing contacts. After a hard reboot a few months ago I lost some contacts. Sometimes suggested words float up to the screen when I didn't mean to choose them.
    02-12-17 12:59 PM
    Yes, I have had this and it seems to have shown up after an update. If it would just scale back a little it would be better. It doesn't always happen. The other day, though, I watched it go and erase and change what I had written with my hands completely off the keyboard. Sometimes it is when I am going over to Norwegian which I have as my 2nd language on the phone. I am wondering if someone could give a step by step of how do clear up the cache and data. I need to know how to avoid losing contacts. After a hard reboot a few months ago I lost some contacts. Sometimes suggested words float up to the screen when I didn't mean to choose them.
    PS. I have had my PRIV since last November and this was not always an issue.
    02-12-17 01:00 PM
    Hello to clear CACHE and DATA is fairly easy.
    Go to settings
    Select storage and usb
    CACHED DATA:
    You will see Device Storage select Internal storage
    Select Cached data and will ask you if you want erase. Erase
    APP DATA:
    At Internal storage menu select Apps
    Select an app and you will see CLEAR APP and CLEAR CACHE. While cache of all apps can be cleared in previous step. App DATA has to be done on each app basis.

KEEP IN MIND
    Cached data can be cleared without any issues. Just information that helps apps load faster and some other items. But you do not loose any critical info.

App data once cleared returns app to same status as when you first installed the app. This means going thru set up, settings, etc.

Both steps can help and in my case after PRIV runs better. My experience.

Hope it helps.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-12-17 01:53 PM
    For anyone else that stumbles across this topic, I've also posted the issue in the Blackberry forums. No responses yet, but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Since I did not buy through blackberry directly I'll need to go through my carriers technical support for more answers. I'll continue to post updates as I get them.
    02-19-17 04:20 PM
    For anyone else that stumbles across this topic, I've also posted the issue in the Blackberry forums. No responses yet, but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Since I did not buy through blackberry directly I'll need to go through my carriers technical support for more answers. I'll continue to post updates as I get them.
    I've posted about this before and received no answers. The bottom line is that the first batch of Privs that went out have issues that cannot be fixed by software. That's why Crackberry has so many Priv users disagreeing on whether or not the Priv is a good phone or not. BlackBerry never acknowledged this, but AT&T did.
    bcfischer likes this.
    02-19-17 05:15 PM
    I have an AT&T Priv with a crazy keyboard per the above posts. I've had it about 10 months. Should I be looking into returning?
    02-19-17 05:21 PM
    I don't have an issue with this and hope I never do. My priv is pushing a year old and working great. Here's hoping it stays that way
    02-19-17 06:13 PM
    I have an AT&T Priv with a crazy keyboard per the above posts. I've had it about 10 months. Should I be looking into returning?
    If your keyboard is acting up and you are still covered by warranty, you might investigate that route. I'm not sure what AT&T is doing in the replacement department these days.
    02-19-17 07:47 PM
    I have the issue as well. Had phone since launch and this has only been an issue for the last few months so I question that it is a hardware issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 09:07 PM
    As if on queue, mine's doing it right now. When long holding a letter, I don't get the capital, but a pop up showing some characters somehow associated w that letter. Double space won't give a period. The virtual symbol keypad shows up often wout being requested. I see the four pointer arrows (where suggested words usually display) often when not requested. Can't get through a word wout it being erased or changed to a suggested word not requested... you get the idea.

When this problem is happening, the physical keyboard becomes unusable.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 09:45 PM
    I don't have an issue with this and hope I never do. My priv is pushing a year old and working great. Here's hoping it stays that way
    Where did you get it from?
    02-20-17 09:36 PM
    It would be great if someone would take the time and record this happening so everyone can see what we're talking about. Problem is that the keyboard acts up randomly. When I first responded to this thread yesterday, I had to close the pkb and use the vkb because the pkb is unusable when this happens. But now, typing like a champ and hitting all the swipe gestures better than I could ever want. Go figure.
    02-20-17 09:39 PM
37 12