I use a quick charge cable and have no heat issues.
    In that case, I probably have the wrong Quick Charge adapter.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    04-23-17 10:24 PM
    I ordered mine direct from blackberry in November. I have done the factory reset twice now, to try to fix my overheating issues. Works for a few weeks, then back to hot and slow. I use various chargers from 1a to the QC2.0 and all cause the phone to overheat when charging (more heat with higher voltage but ALL cause overheating). Not kidding, my phone is getting hot just typing this all out. It seems as though if I just look at it askance, it gets hot and bothered. I don't like the 'you've got too many/useless apps' argument. I've got the apps that I want and need, and if my phone can't handle them, I get a new phone. I have had everything from a Find7a to a Sony to a nexus to a Samsung and they all miss the mark to one degree or another. I love being able to side load apps, but I am seriously considering an iPhone. What good is a smart phone when I have to change how I operate (where is my charger, where is an ice pack, where is that app I wanted, etc). Smartphones serve me, not the other way around. When they stop serving me, I move on. I'm about two weeks and $700 away from moving away from my PRIV and onto an iPhone.

YMMV.
    Last edited by djtimyd; 06-06-17 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Typos
    TheGraduate likes this.
    06-06-17 05:35 PM
    my phone only heats up when I add a launcher to change things up but after u installing when I come back to BBlauncher it goes back to normal he a full day wit moderate use
    06-06-17 09:08 PM
    No overheating using quick charger but sometimes gets warm/hot when using a wireless charger.
    I find that most of the overheating issues are due to poorly written or optimized apps. If apps are stored on SD card, I also recommend moving them to internal storage.
    06-06-17 09:54 PM
    I have never gotten one of those warnings (have I now jinxed myself). As I posted last evening, I was out hiking yesterday and running simultaneously, Nogago Tracks using the gps, a pedometer, it was paired with and linked to my Gear S3, I was taking photos with the camera and before I lost signal in the steeper hills I was receiving email and even sent a picture. Accuweather always runs.

I do have a Verizon version and I don't know if that makes a difference.

I know it is a pain but have you thought of wiping and reloading the OS?
    I didn't start getting them on my Verizon priv until the April update and then it's only happened maybe 5 times. The last time I was using it to stream music, had it on my car quick charger and it was laying on a black car seat directly in the sun lol
    FF22 likes this.
    06-06-17 10:17 PM
    Only time I had consistent overheating issues was when I was playing Pokemon Go constant screen on with data and GPS. I did have an overheating issues at first when using a daydream clock and wireless charging but that seemed to stop. But during normal use I really don't have any overheat issues phone gets warm but not to the point where I get the warning.
    hazmaju likes this.
    06-07-17 01:11 PM
    I have had overheating problems with mine since the beginning (I pre-ordered it so it is from one of the first batches). looking back, I should have complained more and returned it, but I kept thinking that it would get better with the next round of updates. But here I am, a year and a half later, and I have a phone that's great for typing, but I can't do much of anything else with it. I've given up on games because even the simplest ones overheat the phone to the point of it shutting off with no warning. I was using Google maps and streaming Spotify in the car, while it was plugged in, and the battery level still dropped, until it shut down.

There is obviously a problem with my phone beyond the software. Most Privs don't have the issue, but it's obvious to me that some are defective. This leads to the "great advice" that others give of uninstalling certain apps, restricting access, turning off GPS, etc. These are not a solution, and they shouldn't be. Maybe if I was trying to set some kind of batter life record, these would be great things to try, but they shouldn't need to be done just so that I can get through 6 hours without plugging in, and to be able to play a simple game or watch a video without fear of burning my hand. I know that other phones can do this (like the Galaxy S7 Active that I had for work), and still, I'm sure there will be people that will try to tell me that it's something that I've done wrong, and not a defect with the phone.
    This is a long rant, but it can be summarized to I've been burned by BlackBerry again, and this will be the last time.
    djtimyd and TheGraduate like this.
    06-14-17 02:09 PM
    Amen @ThatGuy1134... I ordered mine direct about 8 month ago, and called support this weekend only to find out that they no longer offer the premium support that was promised me when I bought it. So I have a phone that overheats when you look at it wrong, and good luck getting support for it.

This is a loosing battle, and I'll be getting something else very soon. I'm device agnostic and equally loath Samsung, LG, ASUS, and Sony. Perhaps I'll switch to the dark side and get an iPhone. Good luck with your trials and tribulations.
    06-14-17 02:41 PM
    Yes... the heating and freezing up continues to drive me nuts... how radically improved is the K1... and how sustainable are those improvements. I read on all reviews that the heat issue is gone, and battery life is a huge improvement... iPhone would never be an option for me, especially not without trying out the K1 first.
    06-14-17 03:20 PM
    after June Patch mine started doing the heating up thing didn't have this issue before it already did the runaround clearing cache stopping app disabling useless ones etc. fix maybe in July update somehow on t-mobile so haven't got it yet
    07-07-17 07:25 PM
    I live in Arizona and took my PRIV with me for a 14 mile bike ride in 109 degree heat today. Endomondo was running on it tracking my progress. The PRIV was in a saddle bag underneath my seat. I never saw this warning come up after the ride.

This was a road bike. I've never seen this warning on any of my rides or during normal use. It's just to cool for school.
    07-07-17 07:45 PM
    So you're saying that mine really is defective?
    07-08-17 12:54 AM
    my PRIV will overheat occasionally, if I am running several apps , watching a video...etc,it will get warm..... the only times it gets "hot" , is when on car quick charger in a hot car, also will get that cooling down message.....its not all the time and from what I have read this is not limited to the priv , but many other druids have this mild issue.
    07-08-17 06:19 AM
    You guys have a problem with your phone and I'm willing to bet it's one or more apps. Just wipe your phone and start over.
    I wiped my priv (factory reset) and started recording some videos and taking pictures of my kids and got the overheating message. Mine started having problems after Verizon's March update so its been pretty much unuseable for a 3 months now.
    07-08-17 01:36 PM
    A Factory reset, followed by putting all the same apps back in place is likely to do nothing.
    If the device is acting that bad, run an autoloader, then put apps back on one every day or two, till it starts acting up again. Then get rid of that app, and never use it again.
    Always a possibility you have a bad device, but until you do the above you'll never know.
    07-09-17 07:25 AM
    All the same apps didn't have a problem before the March update. I actually don't have that much installed .
    07-09-17 03:49 PM
    I've only had experience with two Blackberry Hardware items namely the passport and the priv. both of these devices had heating issues. They have large batteries. They have a lot of blackberry alleged security software some of which is visible such as dtek and some of which is not seen. They also have in the case of the priv software to make the device running Android appear more like prior Blackberry operating system devices. that said this that I term bloat causes some over-usage of the resources requiring a large battery to overcome the heating issue since heat does not emanate from nowhere but rather from the battery usage that it engenders. It seems fanciful to continue making devices with larger and larger batteries to fuel bloat. I admit that I am not an expert. I admit that some would object to my term bloat, but I retain the fact that this heating issue persists and apparently goes beyond the two devices that I have to most of the more recent offerings. Why can't they get a handle on this?
    07-09-17 04:28 PM
    I use an application, GSam Battery Monitor Pro which tells me how much power each (or some anyway) application is drawing and creates a plot showing how that varied over time.

I found one situation that causes heating. I don't allow updates until I say so. When updates are available and I have not told it to download and install, then it gets hot. After they are all updated it get cool again.
    07-09-17 11:21 PM
    All the same apps didn't have a problem before the March update. I actually don't have that much installed .
    Very good chance that some or all of those very few apps also updated about the same time as the security update. Or that one of the apps had some poor coding that didn't cause a problem until the update. Or the security update could have some poor coding that is now interacting with an app, but didn't before.
    If it were truly the security update at fault, every phone that got updated to whatever build you are now on would be having the same problems, that's apparently not the case.
    I'm on AAM489 with no problems.
    07-10-17 08:25 AM
    Very good chance that some or all of those very few apps also updated about the same time as the security update. Or that one of the apps had some poor coding that didn't cause a problem until the update. Or the security update could have some poor coding that is now interacting with an app, but didn't before.
    If it were truly the security update at fault, every phone that got updated to whatever build you are now on would be having the same problems, that's apparently not the case.
    I did a factory reset though and still had all the same problems before I installed any additional apps.
    My build is AAL748.
    07-10-17 11:27 AM
    I received the 'cooling down' message 2 days ago. Culprit was Google Maps. I never invoked it, but been running for past 9 hrs. Once I disabled it, everything is back to normal.
    07-10-17 12:19 PM
    I've dealt with the heating issues like the rest of you, although I've never had the warning message pop the main issue is when it gets hot, the battery drains at a very rapid pace. I've tried just about everything to avoid the heat, but just have to learn to live with it. I use a lot of apps though so I figured I'm just going to have to live with it. FYI I also had the same issue on my Q10 and Classic, but not as extensive. the culprit for those was Twitter
    07-12-17 06:26 AM
    Agree. With my PRIV since way back uninstalled Facebook and Messenger everything went better. Replaced with Friendly which works great! Currently on AAM489 and my PRIV runs perfectly full day battery and min 4 hrs On screen time.
    good luck.
    07-12-17 04:49 PM
    Heats & Lags... always

Posted via CB10
    07-13-17 01:50 PM
    No but you could check the apps that you're running. One thing I do on a regular basis is to close all apps. Don't know if it will but it's worth a shot.
    07-13-17 08:08 PM
56 123