As much as I really like my Priv for the obvious reasons of ahem...apps... many apps... such as the ability to pair my low cost G2 watch... it still comes short in so many "business vital" ways... as in speed of accessing the hub, opening/replying/editing emails, but most importantly while I have grown used to the compromised performance of these gold standard tasks, the thing that bugs me most is how no one talks about these things... it's almost like silence of the lambs... (wait... we r not even talking iPhone here...) I am one of the early adopters of the Priv coming from the 10 years of BlackBerry evolution of devices and keep wanting to go back to my Passport for these very fundamental tasks, like all the time lately... I just experienced another random overheating -see the screen shot below, while I had only BBM open and was looking at a web link on the BBM browser. This is nothing though... a few days don't go by before I have another experience when I try to look up a phone number or make a call and if I am too quick or left some apps open before the Priv slept, my Priv will just start acting stubborn, like a dog pulling on a leash sometimes... I know so many of us are experiencing this type of unacceptable performance and wonder if the K1 will be able to streamline some of these issues... I have never been an ios power user and wonder if the grass is not so green also there... but trust me... I have first hand experience that grass is in fact very green on the OS10 side... still is, especially for enterprise email access and all... not this Good (GFE) crap I have to use along with other byod coworkers on ios and droid devices. Yet... I still like my access to all kinds of apps, and of course the fact that I can use my G2 watch. Hmmm... hope the K1 will be good enough to liberate me from my OS10 fixation.
    Attached Thumbnails Priv Overheating Revisited-61033.jpg  
    04-22-17 02:49 AM
    As much as I really like my Priv for the obvious reasons of ahem...apps... many apps... such as the ability to pair my low cost G2 watch... it still comes short in so many "business vital" ways... as in speed of accessing the hub, opening/replying/editing emails, but most importantly while I have grown used to the compromised performance of these gold standard tasks, the thing that bugs me most is how no one talks about these things... it's almost like silence of the lambs... (wait... we r not even talking iPhone here...) I am one of the early adopters of the Priv coming from the 10 years of BlackBerry evolution of devices and keep wanting to go back to my Passport for these very fundamental tasks, like all the time lately... I just experienced another random overheating -see the screen shot below, while I had only BBM open and was looking at a web link on the BBM browser. This is nothing though... a few days don't go by before I have another experience when I try to look up a phone number or make a call and if I am too quick or left some apps open before the Priv slept, my Priv will just start acting stubborn, like a dog pulling on a leash sometimes... I know so many of us are experiencing this type of unacceptable performance and wonder if the K1 will be able to streamline some of these issues... I have never been an ios power user and wonder if the grass is not so green also there... but trust me... I have first hand experience that grass is in fact very green on the OS10 side... still is, especially for enterprise email access and all... not this Good (GFE) crap I have to use along with other byod coworkers on ios and droid devices. Yet... I still like my access to all kinds of apps, and of course the fact that I can use my G2 watch. Hmmm... hope the K1 will be good enough to liberate me from my OS10 fixation.
    I have never gotten one of those warnings (have I now jinxed myself). As I posted last evening, I was out hiking yesterday and running simultaneously, Nogago Tracks using the gps, a pedometer, it was paired with and linked to my Gear S3, I was taking photos with the camera and before I lost signal in the steeper hills I was receiving email and even sent a picture. Accuweather always runs.

I do have a Verizon version and I don't know if that makes a difference.

I know it is a pain but have you thought of wiping and reloading the OS?
    04-22-17 08:39 AM
    I had that warning 2-3 times before my phone was toast. Started random rebooting. New phone is like a different phone. Never happens anymore and doesn't studder much either. If you are in warranty period, get a replacement!
    FF22 likes this.
    04-22-17 09:48 AM
    Priv is either hot or hotter... battery is draining to heat production... charging is terrible even with FC... sheesh !!
    04-22-17 10:43 AM
    Priv is either hot or hotter... battery is draining to heat production... charging is terrible even with FC... sheesh !!
    My priv has never gotten that message, even when playing some intensive games.
    And when I use the BlackBerry fast charger the phone charges ridiculously fast.

You guys have a problem with your phone and I'm willing to bet it's one or more apps. Just wipe your phone and start over.

The OP seems to have a bunch of useless apps throwing notifications for example. I'm willing to bet he even has one of those garbage antivirus apps which destroy your device.

Getting a keyone won't solve your problem if you keep installing garbage apps! And if it's not an app, it's clearly some corrupt software. Reload the OS!
    Mirko935 likes this.
    04-22-17 11:00 AM

You guys have a problem with your phone and I'm willing to bet it's one or more apps. Just wipe your phone and start over.

The OP seems to have a bunch of useless apps throwing notifications for example. I'm willing to bet he even has one of those garbage antivirus apps which destroy your device.

Getting a keyone won't solve your problem if you keep installing garbage apps! And if it's not an app, it's clearly some corrupt software. Reload the OS!
    I don't have many apps and using the usual social apps etc... I get constant heating, to an extent that cannot hold the device to my ear for a call. I don't use it anymore, after trying many things to reduce the processor use, the device is known to warm up.
    04-22-17 11:19 AM
    I don't have many apps and using the usual social apps etc... I get constant heating, to an extent that cannot hold the device to my ear for a call. I don't use it anymore, after trying many things to reduce the processor use, the device is known to warm up.
    That's not normal. I'm willing to bet you have a defective device more than anything.
    04-22-17 11:34 AM

I have always had McAffee Virus Protection loaded on mine... are you saying that this would actually destroy my Priv?

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 12:12 PM
    McAffee Virus Protection

Get RID of that POS!
    Nathan Conley and BlueOhSix like this.
    04-22-17 12:14 PM
    Get RID of that POS!
    Seriously?! I had no idea it could be a problem... will give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 12:16 PM
    I have always had McAffee Virus Protection loaded on mine... are you saying that this would actually destroy my Priv?

Posted via CB10
    Well first of all it's useless, so there's that. Also it's wasting resources if it's constantly running.
    There are many others like battery optimization apps and stuff like that which do nothing for you either.

Look at the dtek app, you'll find a lot of apps are trying to steal your location, turning on your mic, your camera, at random times even without you opening them
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    04-22-17 12:17 PM
    Well first of all it's useless, so there's that. Also it's wasting resources if it's constantly running.
    There are many others like battery optimization apps and stuff like that which do nothing for you either.

Look at the dtek app, you'll find a lot of apps are trying to steal your location, turning on your mic, your camera, at random times even without you opening them
    Ok... so, trying to uninstall it but seems like it won't be an easy task as I can't readily see the uninstall option... I am not sure but maybe both this and Lookout were included as a part of the AT&T package...

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 01:06 PM
    I too have been experiencing lately a lot of hangups on the Priv - heating up, the device locking up at inopportune moments, etc. Been disappointed as otherwise, I like the phone a lot. I have tried clearing the cache but it never seems to totally clear. I have tried rebooting my device after a particularly bad time of heating up and locking up. I haven't really been able to pinpoint any particular set of circumstances that lead to it happening. I have also noticed problems with charging - particularly if the Priv is hot. I will have it on a charger or hooked up via the car charger and if it is hot, the charge will actually go down instead of up. I don't know what is causing these events. It is annoying. But the phone is a year old so I can't say these things would be considered under warranty. Just started getting worse since the start of 2017.
    04-22-17 01:46 PM
    Please take the time out to do a factory reset. And DO NOT use a quick charging cable. Use a Samsung 5.2A one. It charges the phone within 2 hours. Quick Charge increases the heat issues.

All of the above has been tried and tested by yours truly.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    04-22-17 01:50 PM

OK... uninstalled McAffee but uninstalling Lookout is not an option as it is a built-in app with the AT&T version of the Priv... probably can't be removed unless the device is rooted. I am not sure if deactivating it would help or make the device unstable... by the way, since the earlier event today with the heat alert, things appear to be back to normal now... bizarre things will probably start happening again when least expected... hoping removal of McAffee helps... thanks for the strong recommendations.
    Last edited by TheGraduate; 04-22-17 at 02:31 PM.
    04-22-17 02:06 PM
    I share your observations about the Priv. It is my first Android phone so I don't know how much is Android an show much is Priv.

I too had a Passport which I liked much more with one exception bring that I use some apps that are only Android. I find Android a Spyware / spam device that is controlled be Google that won't get out of my face.

I wonder that if BlackBerry had made OS10 open source and free, would it not be a major player now. That would have required BlackBerry to be skilled in retail marketing which it is / was not.

I
    04-22-17 02:19 PM
    OK... so uninstalling is not an option as both McAffee Mobile Security and Lookout are built-in apps with the AT&T version of the Priv... probably can't be removed unless the device is rooted. I am not sure if deactivating them would help... by the way, since the earlier event today with the heat alert, things appear to be back to normal now... bizarre things will probably start happening again when least expected...
    Have you tried checking the dtek app for any apps using your location around that time?

Do you have autoupdates enabled in playstore? Downloading and installing app updates is a massive load on the processor, for some reason. I only do it at night or when I have my phone charging because I know if I have 10 updates it will drain a lot of battery.

Try disabling the apps if you can't uninstall them. It's basically the same thing, once disabled the app cant go rogue anymore.

Keep wifi off when you're not using it, or if the signal is weak or intermittent. Keep location services off also if you're not using it.

If after all that you still get issues, it might just be a corrupt software update or something like that and you really do need to do a factory reset.
    04-22-17 02:31 PM
    Ok, I disabled a boatload of apps and also uninstalled some... should I now do the 32 second restart in order to clear cache and start fresh?
    04-22-17 03:01 PM
    Ok, I disabled a boatload of apps and also uninstalled some... should I now do the 32 second restart in order to clear cache and start fresh?
    Wouldn't hurt...
    04-22-17 03:04 PM
    Ok... so, trying to uninstall it but seems like it won't be an easy task as I can't readily see the uninstall option... I am not sure but maybe both this and Lookout were included as a part of the AT&T package...

Posted via CB10
    To uninstall an app, simply long press the app icon, and drag it to the appropriate choice (uninstall) at the top of your home screen.
    04-22-17 03:17 PM
    To uninstall an app, simply long press the app icon, and drag it to the appropriate choice (uninstall) at the top of your home screen.
    Thanks for the input... but obviously this is not possible for apps burnt in by the carriers, my carrier and Priv are both AT&T... it's only possible to disable/deactivate most of those apps.

Posted via CB10
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    04-22-17 03:29 PM
    I think you don't really need to reboot, I only do it when I find the phone is acting strange and I can't find out why, but it's been a while.

By the way, personally I noticed FB messenger would open my camera and microphone even at times when I didn't ask it to and it would completely drain my battery and heat up the phone. The only way I knew about it was because the dtek app showed it to me.

Now I've disabled both mic and camera permissions in Facebook messenger. Just one example of even very popular apps doing weird stuff
    04-22-17 03:47 PM
    OK... uninstalled McAffee but uninstalling Lookout is not an option as it is a built-in app with the AT&T version of the Priv... probably can't be removed unless the device is rooted. I am not sure if deactivating it would help or make the device unstable... by the way, since the earlier event today with the heat alert, things appear to be back to normal now... bizarre things will probably start happening again when least expected... hoping removal of McAffee helps... thanks for the strong recommendations.
    That is strange. All of that junk was removed by BlackBerry when all att devices got the BlackBerry build direct not from att.

Call BlackBerry and ensure your imei is cleared for it. Mine got an update last Sept I believe that essentially turned my att device into a shop BlackBerry one.
    04-22-17 05:26 PM
    Please take the time out to do a factory reset. And DO NOT use a quick charging cable. Use a Samsung 5.2A one. It charges the phone within 2 hours. Quick Charge increases the heat issues.

All of the above has been tried and tested by yours truly.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    I use a quick charge cable and have no heat issues.
    04-22-17 08:17 PM
    Have had mine for a month now. The phone gets warm on occasion, but always cools off fairly quickly. I have never received that message. Bought an unlocked version on dailysteals.com. As soon as I got it, it updated to Marshmallow. I just received the April security patch. No problems thus far.
    04-22-17 09:32 PM
56 123