After one month of usage I just know I will need to claim on something. Why?

OK, I know you this is self inflicted but my Z10 fell in the toilet.

Than I dropped it a year later excitedly hard on the ground. Cost me 50 to repair on the street and it was never perfect after that.

Had a faulty Passport to start of with and my replacement device smashed in les than a month.

Now the Priv had a fall in the gym last week and the volume rockers were forced in. Turned out the back was loose. I pushed it back in but it still feels liase around the hindges of the slider.

My view is if you have to pay for a street vendor to fix it you may as well have done it through insurance and have everything legit and secured. A 50 excess fee is nothing when you have to pay that anyway on the street.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-28-15 05:13 PM
    Wouldn't the more correct title be "I need Insurance"?

Smartphone insurance is generally a bad value considering what the premiums are and what the deductibles are. As you said, many repairs can be done by independent technicians. If you have 3rd party insurance, I wouldn't consider the repair any more legit. It certainly would be less convenient.

I, for one, absolutely hate trying to get people/companies to cough up money or services that I have already paid for. If at all possible, I never allow myself to be in the position of paying before a service is rendered. Sure, I have destroyed an expensive smartphone by accidentally dropping it in water. However, that was one in about 15 phones so I can't say that paying for insurance for the past 20 years would have been worth it. If you are self-insured then you also have the option of upgrading or downgrading your phone rather than replacing it.

Perhaps you should consider a smartphone that can be protected by a more sturdy, even waterproof, case and a more common model that is easier to find a repair for.
    12-28-15 05:23 PM
    Sounds like you needed to sign up for 3rd-party insurance like Squaretrade. I always use cases and am generally careful with my phones and thus I've never had to repair one so insurance isn't a good buy for me.
    12-28-15 05:31 PM
    Despite the slightly higher monthly fee I opted for my wireless carrier's insurance plan because it covered every situation and guaranteed me a new replacement BlackBerry Priv with a relatively low deductible. As the value / consumer price of the smartphone decreases I can opt out of the insurance protection without any additional fees. Since I have a two-year contract I will keep the insurance unless the retail price drops through the floor making it cheaper to buy outright than the insurance deductible. Do you seriously expect the BlackBerry Priv price to reach only 250.00 this year?
    12-28-15 06:09 PM
    After one month of usage I just know I will need to claim on something. Why?

OK, I know you this is self inflicted but my Z10 fell in the toilet.

Than I dropped it a year later excitedly hard on the ground. Cost me 50 to repair on the street and it was never perfect after that.

Had a faulty Passport to start of with and my replacement device smashed in les than a month.

Now the Priv had a fall in the gym last week and the volume rockers were forced in. Turned out the back was loose. I pushed it back in but it still feels liase around the hindges of the slider.

My view is if you have to pay for a street vendor to fix it you may as well have done it through insurance and have everything legit and secured. A 50 excess fee is nothing when you have to pay that anyway on the street.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    https://care.blackberry.com/

Posted via the CrackBerry App via PRIV
    12-28-15 11:09 PM