Ultimately, people who like the specs, performance and usability of the "Priv" will buy it.

People aren't buying the 6, 6s, S6, S6 Edge, M8, G4, etc. because of the name.

The miss people should be concerned about is the price. Unlike the other manufacturers, BlackBerry won't have an existing cheaper version for people to try the BlackBerry Experience on... and then move onto the higher-end devices later. BlackBerry should consider having a slimmer profit margin to get their interface "branding" out there. It's the BB10-ish features that will keep people on BlackBerry's Android devices; otherwise, people will just go for any Android device.
    09-24-15 08:57 PM
    Yes but in order to bring back old customers, u need it to be "hot" or as Chen put it, "sexy". Priv doesn't get close. Your average consumer won't consider it.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2474
    09-24-15 08:59 PM
    Yes but in order to bring back old customers, u need it to be "hot" or as Chen put it, "sexy". Priv doesn't get close. Your average consumer won't consider it.
    The tech sites are already drooling over it. The name isn't bad enough to dissuade them from reviewing and perhaps giving it their stamp of approval. The old ecosystem/lack of apps argument that's plagued novel devices like the Passport is gone. The average consumer will follow their tech savvy friends, who read tech sites.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    09-24-15 09:06 PM
    it always matters... A product is a sum of it's parts, and the name is part of it. The name might not be a dealbreaker for 99% of the people, but from what i've read, it is for some, and is a something that shouldn't happen given that the cost of a good name is the same of a bad name
    09-24-15 09:28 PM
    The tech sites are already drooling over it. The name isn't bad enough to dissuade them from reviewing and perhaps giving it their stamp of approval. The old ecosystem/lack of apps argument that's plagued novel devices like the Passport is gone. The average consumer will follow their tech savvy friends, who read tech sites.
    And where will they follow those "tech savvy friends" the following month?
    The "average consumer" will do no such thing. They will continue to be carried along with the broader current in the consumer market, which won't see the Venice/Priv as more than a minor blip. There's nothing really shaping up to be at all approaching revolutionary about this phone. It's more of a curious oddity than anything else, and while it might in fact get the attention of the "Tech site" types, that will be fleeting. Little doubt about that, given that they are accustomed to a VERY fast pace of "the next big thing." The next "niche" thing (the Priv) will be an afterthought.

Why? You will still have a badly damaged Brand, questionable customer service, pathetic PR, non-existent marketing, and whatever other hiccups come from shifting OS. Oh yes--AND novelty is just as likely to push people away as to attract them.

KAM
    09-24-15 09:31 PM
    And where will they follow those "tech savvy friends" the following month?
    The "average consumer" will do no such thing. They will continue to be carried along with the broader current in the consumer market, which won't see the Venice/Priv as more than a minor blip. There's nothing really shaping up to be at all approaching revolutionary about this phone. It's more of a curious oddity than anything else, and while it might in fact get the attention of the "Tech site" types, that will be fleeting. Little doubt about that, given that they are accustomed to a VERY fast pace of "the next big thing." The next "niche" thing (the Priv) will be an afterthought.

Why? You will still have a badly damaged Brand, questionable customer service, pathetic PR, non-existent marketing, and whatever other hiccups come from shifting OS. Oh yes--AND novelty is just as likely to push people away as to attract them.
    If what you're pointing out is fact, what's the point of the huge advertising push you've advocated for? What a huge waste of time, resources and money! You were so ready to have BlackBerry burn through three billion. Perhaps some of the naysayers have made some points that adjusted your thinking. Why even bother staying on BlackBerry? Why be so invested in arguing about the viability of the name "Priv"?

The word "novel", by the way, means "original or striking especially in conception or style". Things that are novel aren't necessarily a "novelty", as the way you're using the word, with its connotation.
    09-25-15 12:06 AM
    Ultimately, people who like the specs, performance and usability of the "Priv" will buy it.

People aren't buying the 6, 6s, S6, S6 Edge, M8, G4, etc. because of the name.

The miss people should be concerned about is the price. Unlike the other manufacturers, BlackBerry won't have an existing cheaper version for people to try the BlackBerry Experience on... and then move onto the higher-end devices later. BlackBerry should consider having a slimmer profit margin to get their interface "branding" out there. It's the BB10-ish features that will keep people on BlackBerry's Android devices; otherwise, people will just go for any Android device.
    I agree with you. And I do remember hearing something back a while ago that one of their 'rumoured' devices was an entry level Android device. I suppose that this device became the Leap (the name would have actually made more sense had it been Android) and the Android device became the Slider.

It's really hard to say, if this was the case, if they made the right decision. On the one hand, the Android market already has many low-end entry level devices to choose from and there would be stiff competition there. On the other hand, putting everything they have into an Android phone (and leaving their current BB10 users completely unsure about what's happening to their beloved OS of choice) was a big gamble.

Time will tell, with the way things will pan out. I don't really think that, whatever the outcome, I could argue whether or not BlackBerry 'made the right move.' The fact is, they HAD TO make a move and this was the only big move they could make. Playing it safe at this point was just slowly whittling their resources. They had to make a big move and that's what they did.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-25-15 12:54 AM
    I think BlackBerry will rename it after 6 months: The BlackBerry Flop
    09-25-15 01:39 AM
    I think BlackBerry will rename it after 6 months: The BlackBerry Flop
    Funny...sad, but funny, but I beat you to it in another thread!

That said, I hope that DOESN'T happen.

KAM
    09-25-15 08:03 AM
    PRIV sounds good to me.

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-25-15 02:37 PM
    But Galaxy is some kind of sexy?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 03:49 PM
    But Galaxy is kind of sexy?

Posted via CB10