10-03-17 03:48 AM
30 12
tools
    I've just bought new PRIV for my wife. She's been using white Passport. Lovely device, but slowly bank app, shhopping apps lack become to be really painful for her.
    PRIV looks great, but I'm really afraid - after reading a lot of reviews - of it's using comfort. Is it really so laggy? Is battery really so poor? She's not heavy user.
    09-28-17 12:21 PM
    I've just bought new PRIV for my wife. She's been using white Passport. Lovely device, but slowly bank app, shhopping apps lack become to be really painful for her.
    PRIV looks great, but I'm really afraid - after reading a lot of reviews - of it's using comfort. Is it really so laggy? Is battery really so poor? She's not heavy user.
    It won't be laggy is she isn't a major heavy user and using intensive apps all the time.
    09-28-17 12:26 PM
    Mine was always fine till it would get hot.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Pixel
    09-28-17 12:28 PM
    Mine was always fine till it would get hot.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Pixel
    You mean hot Like sexy? :-)
    09-28-17 01:41 PM
    I have a PRIV. I had to do a number of optimizations on the battery in order to keep the phone from heating up.
    Once those optimizations were done the battery life has be excellent and the only time I get heating is when doing large updates.
    Search out the PRIV battery life threads and apply those.

As for lagging, I would not worry - I do notice the occasional lag, but the PRIV is still great value for the money. The keyboard may not be that easy to adapt to after using a Passport, but it's still a very reasonable keyboard.

In summary, I would purchase a PRIV again. Much cheaper than a KeyONE, although the KeyONE could be an option for you.
    Vigolec likes this.
    09-28-17 02:06 PM
    Don't be afraid about heating if she is not a heavy user. Mine is heating up only when navigating using Wade.
    And lag only is affecting me when updating or installing apps (í'm not a heavy user either).
    09-28-17 03:18 PM
    If she is not a heavy user, I think she will be fine. Running a lot of apps at once can cause some lag but it's bearable. There was one time where my priv was slow to the point where it was at a crawl.

I did have like 5 apps running at one time (including Google maps which can be a laggy app in general). At that point, it hadn't cleared the cache and done a 32 second reset in a while. Once I did that, it was way smoother.

That is something that sucks to have to keep up with but I guess that is the cost of being on android. Solid device nonetheless.
    09-28-17 03:51 PM
    You can also tune it and reduces graphics etc.. search for threads on priv and 1080p... should improve bat/heat issues.
    09-28-17 04:12 PM
    Don't be afraid about heating if she is not a heavy user. Mine is heating up only when navigating using Wade.
    And lag only is affecting me when updating or installing apps (í'm not a heavy user either).
    Mine gets hot just updating apps. Especially when plugged in. That said, I still love the PRIV. Nothing quite like it.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Asus ZenPad Z8s.

Sent from a random tablet, Flicked on the BlackBerry keyboard 👍
    09-28-17 08:27 PM
    You mean hot Like sexy? :-)
    Well....... Not exactly lol

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Asus ZenPad Z8s.

Sent from a random tablet, Flicked on the BlackBerry keyboard 👍
    09-28-17 08:30 PM
    I get a bit of lag from time to time but nothing serious, with the exception of running Google Maps or Waze or the like.
    09-28-17 11:23 PM
    Priv is just a middle of the road android with a PKB that I use less and less. happy to trade PKB for a fast processor.
    09-29-17 04:21 AM
    Sorry, thought you meant swap a PRIV for your wife? Need a pic though-;-)
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    09-29-17 03:49 PM
    I have priv and to be honest really love it. great device!!!
    09-29-17 04:01 PM
    I am afraid it might be grounds for divorce... move cash to grand cayman bank immediately !!

Attention: this is a joke
    Last edited by furieux; 09-30-17 at 06:14 AM.
    09-29-17 04:03 PM
    I am afraid it might be grounds for divorce... move cash to grand cayman bank immediately !!
    You not helping.... :-)
    09-30-17 12:38 AM
    Sorry, thought you meant swap a PRIV for your wife? Need a pic though-;-)
    Ok. I'm not sure if my poor English let me understand , but just in case - I meant Blackberry Priv :-)
    09-30-17 12:44 AM
    Ok. I'm not sure if my poor English let me understand , but just in case - I meant Blackberry Priv :-)
    I was only joking ...
    09-30-17 06:08 AM
    ok... here's some help:

the good

nice feel in the hand
    amazingly thin despite having a lot inside including qi charge Plate and slider mechanism
    real nice screen
    Stereo speakers

the bad

end of life device with updates only through 2018 and no more upgrades
    overheats
    lags
    some Hardware complaints

overall

very innovative and attractive design with some good features but hampered by slow processor overworked by some demands beyond its capacity leading to overheating and attenuate battery consumption
    Vigolec likes this.
    09-30-17 06:23 AM
    as for banking and shopping apps, avoid them and use their web portal... bookm3k them to the launcher so they feel the same for your wife... if the native browser doesn't do well with that, add Firefox which may do better sometimes...
    Vigolec likes this.
    09-30-17 06:26 AM
    open the battery dialog in settings to see what is consuming so much battery

get rid of commercial apps for weather, shopping, file managers, cleaners that run in background

there is a way to live with the PRIV for a light user if you strip away the bloat as well... some are not removable, but in the app dialog of Settings you can do this for what is not used:

uncheck notifications for the app
    then force stop
    then Disable and it will revert to original version
    it is still there but not running anymore
    you can enable it anytiime
    do NOT Disable any SYSTEM apps
    09-30-17 06:33 AM
    I have had Passport then Priv then KEYᵒⁿᵉ ...I LOVED the passport, liked the Priv, and accept begrudgingly the KEYᵒⁿᵉ since I am fully committed to the physical keyboard for personal reasons
    09-30-17 06:35 AM
    One more thing is the ability to shift to on screen from physical KB on Priv by closing the slider
    09-30-17 09:28 AM
    The screen of the Priv is so nice as to make that of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ somewhat of a disappointment and diminuitive...
    09-30-17 09:32 AM
    These are my personal experiences only and are not the only answers to be had
    09-30-17 09:33 AM
30 12