I know there have been a few threads where people say they have crappy loudspeaker on their Priv. I am one of those people.

But I see some posts where people say their Priv Loudspeakers are great and most reviews say the speaker is good.

I'm on the verge of returning my Priv because the speaker is so bad. How many people here have a Priv and think their speaker is loud and clear? Mine is way quieter than a Note 4 and S6 Edge speakers. I did a comparison.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:24 PM
    Speaker is great...not the best, but above average.

I think both the Passport and Z30 have better speakers then the Priv - along with some HTC devices with their stellar front stereo speakers - but the Priv speaker is still better then most of the competition.
    11-09-15 01:30 PM
    Maybe I'm used to the speakers on my Passport and Z30. But that's why I did a comparison with Note 4 and S6 Edge. They had better and louder speakers.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:48 PM
    I think its decent but by no means anything to write home about. Mine is somewhat low and sounds muffled at full volume.
    11-09-15 02:03 PM
    Does this phone have 1 or 2 speakers? Today I noticed that sound is only coming form the LEFT of the speaker grill. If you put your finger over the right while some music is on, the sound does not change. However, if you put it over the left, the sound deadens.

I'm guessing the right houses the mic, then.
    Last edited by 312; 11-09-15 at 04:26 PM.
    11-09-15 03:53 PM
    Does this phone have 1 or 2 speakers? Today I noticed that sound is only coming form the LEFT of the speaker grill. If you put your finger over the right while some music is on, the sound does not change. However, if you put it over the left, the sound deadens.

I'm guessing the right houses the mic, then.
    I've read it is only on the left. I'm in line to return mine as I write this. I can't deal with a crap speaker. I'm coming from a Z30 and Passport. No BBM Video. YouTube pausing when you navigate to another screen or turn off the screen. Big three strikes for me.

I can't justify $900 to lose three big features when my Passport works fine.

It was a difficult decision because the Priv hardware, save for the speaker, is fantastic! I even liked most of the software. Which surprised me because I'm not a big fan of Android. I do think this is a great device for Android users.

I hope they sell lots!

Posted via CB10
    BoldWorld likes this.
    11-09-15 05:03 PM
    The speaker is nice and loud sounds good for a cell phone. It blows away the iPhone in my opinion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-09-15 05:22 PM
    I've read it is only on the left. I'm in line to return mine as I write this. I can't deal with a crap speaker. I'm coming from a Z30 and Passport. No BBM Video. YouTube pausing when you navigate to another screen or turn off the screen. Big three strikes for me.

It was a difficult decision because the Priv hardware, save for the speaker, is fantastic! I even liked most of the software. Which surprised me because I'm not a big fan of Android. I do think this is a great device for Android users.

I hope they sell lots!

Posted via CB10
    Download OG YouTube
    11-09-15 05:22 PM
    The phone has a small speaker, mono, just like most phones out there that do not says Motorola, HTC or BlackBerry on it.
    11-09-15 05:25 PM

I hope they sell lots!

Posted via CB10
    I agree that the Passport and Z30 both have better speakers, but I can't imagine returning a phone for its speaker when we have so many cheap BT headphones and BT speakers all over the place that blow any phone speaker out of the water!

I personally rarely use my built in speaker since I don't like the whole room to listen to what I am talking about or playing, so I could care less about it...always on headphones or streaming through BT
    11-09-15 05:36 PM
    I agree that the Passport and Z30 both have better speakers, but I can't imagine returning a phone for its speaker when we have so many cheap BT headphones and BT speakers all over the place that blow any phone speaker out of the water!

I personally rarely use my built in speaker since I don't like the whole room to listen to what I am talking about or playing, so I could care less about it...always on headphones or streaming through BT
    Because I don't carry Bluetooth speakers around with me. I use the loud speaker easily a dozen times a day. Mix of music and mostly phone calls while I'm doing other things.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 05:56 PM
    The speaker is nice and loud sounds good for a cell phone. It blows away the iPhone in my opinion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Could it be mine was defective? Some people say it is loud. Mine also had a few dead pixels at the bottom.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:00 PM
    Could it be mine was defective? Some people say it is loud. Mine also had a few dead pixels at the bottom.

Posted via CB10
    There is a chance yours is bad. I was just at TELUS and we played the same clip on my z30 and the Priv, side by side, sitting on the counter. The Priv was slightly better. And I have never complained about the z30.

One point to note is that the z30 speakers face back and the Priv face forward. So on the table, they are about the same. In your hand, the Priv will probably be better.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:08 PM

I hope they sell lots!

Posted via CB10
    As far as YouTube goes you never had an official YouTube app on BB10 which is the only reason it played in the background. On BB10 it is just a web shortcut to YouTube which enables background play to take place. You can do this same thing on other platforms, it wasn't unique to BB10. Now that you have an official YouTube app you are blocked from background play because YouTube blocks it, unless you want to pay for it on YouTube Red.
    11-09-15 06:10 PM
    11-09-15 06:10 PM
    There is a chance yours is bad. I was just at TELUS and we played the same clip on my z30 and the Priv, side by side, sitting on the counter. The Priv was slightly better. And I have never complained about the z30.

One point to note is that the z30 speakers face back and the Priv face forward. So on the table, they are about the same. In your hand, the Priv will probably be better.

Posted via CB10
    No the Priv is not better, its not possible. The Priv has a mono speaker and the Z30 has stereo speakers.
    11-09-15 06:12 PM
    No the Priv is not better, its not possible. The Priv has a mono speaker and the Z30 has stereo speakers.
    I was there with three TELUS guys and we all agreed the they were close, but the Priv was slightly better.

Maybe it was what we played (YouTube movie trailers). But all I need is for it to be close to the z30 as it has never been an issue for me so I don't really need more.

The sound quality was similar also.

I don't know what to tell you other than to try it out for yourself.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:30 PM
    Are people actually turning the volume to maximum? I dare say few if any smartphone would sound good. The speaker sounds good on my BlackBerry Priv though I have sensitive ears and keep the volume low relatively speaking. Of course a mono speaker will never sound as good as a stereo speaker such as with the BlackBerry PlayBook.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-09-15 06:41 PM
    How is the ear speaker? If have some hearing loss and the z30 is a bit quiet to me

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:46 PM

I hope they sell lots!

Posted via CB10
    That's not really a youtube thing, it's and android and ios thing... only webos and bb10 have active and front facing tasks-app management and imo innately make it better than the others.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:49 PM
    I was there with three TELUS guys and we all agreed the they were close, but the Priv was slightly better.

Maybe it was what we played (YouTube movie trailers). But all I need is for it to be close to the z30 as it has never been an issue for me so I don't really need more.

Posted via CB10
    You needed to double check that the Z30's youtube video wasn't playing with the local (browser) video player's volume down (which is independent from the phone's volume rockers).
    On Adroid the phone volume rockers would be directly linked to the Youtube player and control it.
    From every else I've read, there is no way the Priv would beat the Z30 (or Passport) audio.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 08:40 PM
    FYI the speaker is only located on the left third side of the speaker bar. It is mono, not stereo. This is similar in placement as the classic. The charging connector is in the center and head set jack on the right, that accounts for space. I am big on media and watch videos/listen through speaker during lunch. I have headphones for travel. For this I am disappointed. Such a big beautiful display that you cannot enjoy the full media experience.
    europolska00 and BoldWorld like this.
    11-09-15 09:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hmm. I own a Z30 and the Priv I got sounded muffled and almost half volume. Odd. Maybe I should go check out another Priv unit.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:26 PM
    Are people actually turning the volume to maximum? I dare say few if any smartphone would sound good. The speaker sounds good on my BlackBerry Priv though I have sensitive ears and keep the volume low relatively speaking. Of course a mono speaker will never sound as good as a stereo speaker such as with the BlackBerry PlayBook.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    My Passport at full volume has incredible sound. My Priv if I didn't have at over 70% volume you couldn't even hear the speaker.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:28 PM
    WTF do people want? To have dance party around the Priv? Do you want to wake the neighbours? Were you going to invite company over to watch a movie around the Priv?

Having stereo speakers 4 inches apart is the same thing as mono.

The real joke is that anyone who fancies themselves an audiophile, or even just someone who values the sound of quality speakers is _not_ going to listen to music on their phone speakers. If you enjoy great sound, you are going to use a decent set of head phones, or a stereo.

This is like buying a high end wrench, and then complaining that it is a lousy hammer. Use the right tool for the job.
    cios, weezul and bluetroll like this.
    11-09-15 10:31 PM
49 12