The price of the Priv is such a steal right now... even with all the buzz being around the KEYone and the rumours and leaked pictures starting to come in with the upcoming "Krypton" device, the Priv is still a very appealing device at such a bargain (currently $330 CDN brand new factory unlocked on amazon.ca) and I still think it's a very slick design.

However, one cannot turn a blind eye to all of the issues that people have had with their units (overheating, lag, battery, etc). Since being around since the beginning of BB10 and even still holding on, I am no stranger to the need for"tuning" and "tweaking" settings and finding work-arounds for my beloved 'berries. I'm hoping satisfied Priv owners can offer their tips and tricks for getting the most of their device. In other words, this is not a thread to bash the Priv or share your bad experiences but rather for those who have found it to be a completely satisfying experience and to share some advice to other users in order to get the most out of theirs also.

What setting adjustments have you made? What apps have you found helpful. In particular, has anyone once had but since found a way to rid themselves of the pesky heating issue?

Thanks CB Community!
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-21-17 10:00 AM
    Hello there are lots of threads on the PRIV an example like this one where you can the info you request. Just a matter of searching and digging down..

/blackberry-priv-f440/priv-worth-2017-a-1115015/

Good luck.
    glwerry likes this.
    09-21-17 10:20 AM
    I think, lowering the resolution to Full HD and lowering the animation to 0 or 0.5 in the Developer Mode should make the device sufficiently faster, and I believe, that should much lesser burden on the CPU to make it lesser hot. For me, lowering the animation is fine, but going for lesser resolution is something I, personally, don't want to do. Quad HD resolution and the beautiful screen were the USPs I paid most attention at the time of buying it.

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV STV100-3
    09-21-17 10:24 AM
    Hello there are lots of threads on the PRIV an example like this one where you can the info you request. Just a matter of searching and digging down..

/blackberry-priv-f440/priv-worth-2017-a-1115015/

Good luck.
    Thanks. I did see this thread but it mostly consists of people debating whether or not the Priv is still worth getting.

I was hoping to get past that debate and just get people to offer constructive tips on getting the most out of their device for those who already have one or may soon. It'd be nice to have it a bunch of tips consolidated in one place.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-21-17 11:08 AM
    I am considering upgrading from a Classic to a Priv so I'll be following this thread closely!

I don't care so much that the PRIV won't be upgraded to Nougat. Over 50% of active Android devices are running a version of Android older than Marshmallow. 1/3 are still running Marshmallow. BlackBerry has promised security patches through 2018 and the phone will continue to work beyond that.

I refuse to get locked into payments and expensive service plans with carriers. I also refuse to spend more than $300 USD on a phone. So I still see the Priv as a legitimate option for my use case.
    skinnymike1 and bibbula like this.
    09-21-17 02:38 PM
    I am considering upgrading from a Classic to a Priv so I'll be following this thread closely!

I don't care so much that the PRIV won't be upgraded to Nougat. Over 50% of active Android devices are running a version of Android older than Marshmallow. 1/3 are still running Marshmallow. BlackBerry has promised security patches through 2018 and the phone will continue to work beyond that.

I refuse to get locked into payments and expensive service plans with carriers. I also refuse to spend more than $300 USD on a phone. So I still see the Priv as a legitimate option for my use case.
    I personally think lowering the resolution is not worth the other issues it can cause let alone not allowing the user to enjoy the Priv inall it's screen glory. Better options for handling the Priv is tobe careful to closely manage your apps, especially the social ones. Make sure those apps do not run in the background or or are constantly notifying you of posts.

Another thing to do is to regularly clear your cache and periodically reboot (not restart, there is a difference. I would also make sure I close apps rather than have a boatload minimized in your "rolodex". The only time I keep more than one open is when I am switching back and forth between them.
    glwerry likes this.
    09-21-17 03:12 PM
    BlackBerry has promised security patches through 2018 and the phone will continue to work beyond that.
    Link? I don't remember seeing a hard date from them.
    09-21-17 03:25 PM
    priv is dead, along with the topic
    No, it's not.

I have the Marshmallow loaded, mine works wonderfully, I've done some of the tweaks to optimize the battery and it's going to run just fine until the end of my 2 year contract.

For the OP, here are the tweaks that I did:
    • turn off animations
    • turn off adaptive brightness and turn up the fixed brightness
    • use mobile facebook (I have Chrome browser with home page of m.facebook.com)
    • turn off location services - if I need Google Maps I turn it back on
    • I don't use wifi unless I'm going to do updates - use cellular data for everything

Like has been said, there are numerous threads with optimization tricks. I wouldn't bother turning down the resolution.
    Note that using it as a PHONE eats battery a bit - I seldom use mine for calling.
    Make sure that you are on Marshmallow also - that is significantly better than the previous version.
    vincentkong likes this.
    09-21-17 04:06 PM
    Link? I don't remember seeing a hard date from them.
    It was implied by Alex Thurber in his UTB Blogcast interview that they would stop security updates to the Priv when Google stopped releasing Marshmallow security updates next year.

09-21-17 04:07 PM
    I used Z10, Z30 and priv; all if them i had problem of over heating, lag and short battery life. Why is it, still no answer. Whatever it's i am waiting for crypton.
    09-21-17 04:52 PM
    No, it's not.

I have the Marshmallow loaded, mine works wonderfully, I've done some of the tweaks to optimize the battery and it's going to run just fine until the end of my 2 year contract.

For the OP, here are the tweaks that I did:
    • turn off animations
    • turn off adaptive brightness and turn up the fixed brightness
    • use mobile facebook (I have Chrome browser with home page of m.facebook.com)
    • turn off location services - if I need Google Maps I turn it back on
    • I don't use wifi unless I'm going to do updates - use cellular data for everything

Like has been said, there are numerous threads with optimization tricks. I wouldn't bother turning down the resolution.
    Note that using it as a PHONE eats battery a bit - I seldom use mine for calling.
    Make sure that you are on Marshmallow also - that is significantly better than the previous version.
    I suppose that will keep your hardware going longer, mostly just battery life. What do you mean by marshmallow loaded?
    09-21-17 05:23 PM

I figured I wasn't the only one in this boat!
    09-21-17 05:27 PM
    Get a dark background and gray icon pack. Turn the brightness down on the display. Turn animations down to .5. Shut off auto update apps.
    09-21-17 09:57 PM
    Get a dark background and gray icon pack. Turn the brightness down on the display. Turn animations down to .5. Shut off auto update apps.
    I love blacked out icons, etc. but after a day or 2 it gets a little boring. Colorful icons just look so good on the PRIV display.
    09-21-17 10:44 PM
    priv is dead, along with the topic
    Yeah, the Priv cannot be used, it's dead. It is impossible to use now that it won't be getting Nougat. Unreal, it's like it just up and died. Stop using it people, it will burn your hands and the ghost of Alexander Graham Bell will fly out of it and demand you upgrade if you try to make a call.

Don't feel bad, my wife's S4, running Lollipop, demands she lick the phone before using it.
    09-22-17 12:57 AM
    we all agree, the priv is a great device that blackberry abandoned, and yes you will get support probably through the winter until the OS gets fully abandoned by Android when it becomes two years old.
    09-22-17 03:14 AM
    JS...
    Not bad for an old s4 now is it
    Attached Thumbnails Priv : A life without Nougat-17600.jpg  
    09-22-17 03:58 AM
    Not bad for an old s4 now is it
    Wow, so exciting. Zzzzzzzz...

Oh, remember how I mentioned my wife's S4 still works fine? My point being, it didn't just die and become unusable. Just like the Priv won't become unusable because it's still on Marshmallow, the OS that is used on the majority of Android devices today.

Please do us all a favor and buy a new phone and join a site devoted to that phone and begin telling everyone there how horrible the company that makes that phone is.
    Mirko935 and bibbula like this.
    09-22-17 10:31 AM
    I used Z10, Z30 and priv; all if them i had problem of over heating, lag and short battery life. Why is it, still no answer. Whatever it's i am waiting for crypton.
    I have had those too and Leap ,Classic, Passport and Yes the Dtek60 gets warm also but I added an app ( on Android) that cools it down. It helps a bit .
    At least is doesn't go up in flames like the other brands that I won't mention lol.... "SaMpple"...phones
    09-22-17 03:20 PM
    I have had those too and Leap ,Classic, Passport and Yes the Dtek60 gets warm also but I added an app ( on Android) that cools it down. It helps a bit .
    At least is doesn't go up in flames like the other brands that I won't mention lol.... "SaMpple"...phones
    What's the name of the app?
    09-22-17 03:25 PM
    Hmm actually I paid attention to Chen and the direction he wanted to take blackberry when he took over, and getting out of the device business was his goal. He saw the failure of the last management and also saw blackberry going in a better smarter direction through software because by the time he took over he was way lost in the device aspect of the business and that's why they collaborated with tcl Alcatel.
    Sorry friend but by I don't rely on Google for my info I go to the horses mouth. I rely on Android authority which is in cahoots with crackberry.
    You seriously cannot follow a conversation. It is truly sad. I mentioned Google in reference to your statement that most people do not know this site exists. They don't have to know it exists, they need only search for information on Blackberry. When they do, as many have done, including the "reporter" I mentioned that spawned this part of the discussion, they will find the misinformation you are spewing.

Now, I am going to stop responding, since it is clear you are unable to follow a line of thought or read and understand responses.
    09-22-17 04:08 PM
    What's the name of the app?
    The app was "Max Optimizer" it warns you that the phone is overheating . Cools it down by shutting down other apps working in background etc.
    TheBirdDog likes this.
    09-22-17 04:27 PM
    I don't know why this thread is closed:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...8/index38.html

Instead of doing nothing, we should SPAM all BlackBerry Facebook accounts and mailboxes, to have comments about Priv not getting Nougat!

If they will get hundred messages they may start to realise how big mistake they have just made.

But why Nougat on Priv? Marshmallow is so great, why do you even need that? (many people ask this silly question)

It's simple: split screen. Priv would get a second life and this would be something they could show the world: the only phone on the market that can run 2 apps at once without the keyboard taking space on the screen. Well, actually KeyOne can do this too, but the keyboard is always there, so the screen is smaller. Priv still has a better screen (and it's AMOLED) and you slide the keyboard only when you need it!

Imagine how copying URLs to some e-mail messages would be easy, or how you could run Excel with your calculations, when having a conversation about it in the same time.
    Or just do some simple tasks like... copy and paste authorization code to your bank, without the time consuming need to switch apps.

Possibilities are endless, this feature is like "designed" for phones with physical keyboards, but the irony is Priv is not getting it.

I get it that BB don't want to do anything with phone hardware any more, but this is software, software is the new BlackBerry.
    By not doing the update, they are harming the BlackBerry brand - not only harming TCL, but only themselves.

I even wanted to buy a second Priv after the Nougat release, just to have a backup if the first one fails one day (like Kim Kardashian with the Bold), but now it's pointless.

We should act and do something!!!

By the way:
    I don't have any other issues with my Priv. I don't know anything about the overheating issues, never had that in my unit. Never had any issues with the slider mechanism, too.
    And most importantly, after disabling all unnecessary Google services and bloatware, I get 2-days of normal use easily. When I rarely use the phone (e.g. during weekends) I can get even 3 days of battery life.
    And this is with maximum screen brightness, wifi etc.!

I think the overheating units are simply faulty units, like KeyOnes with screen popping off.
    My unit is unlocked and this is the STV-100-4 without wireless charging.

Regarding this topic:
    Want to have BB10 gestures? Wait for my YT video coming soon, I've got what you need!

I've got a solution to disable the Android buttons completely, to have the whole screen available, and BB10 gestures!!! This is just great, without the big black bar at the bottom it's a completely new device!

And those who are waiting for BB10 updates, I find now Android with gestures better than BB10. Why?
    - You can continue work when someone is calling you (no need to decline the call, just minimize the notification),
    - You can record calls,
    - You can use portrait mode with Nova Launcher (icons are rotated when you rotate the phone - impossible on BB10, super annoying).

For me Priv is an ideal phone and I started earning much more money, because I can do a lot of stuff when travelling.

Even connecting to my PC via remote desktop is great - I can work on my Windows apps and use precision, hardware keyboard, that doesn't waste the screen real estate.

I am sure I wouldn't be able to do this on any all-touch phone, with virtual keyboard taking half the screen, and no precision typing. Priv is still the best device on the market, with still better spec than KeyOne. It's snappy, it looks great, it has a great battery, just doesn't have Nougat...

https://www.facebook.com/BlackBerry/ <- let's post some comments!
    09-22-17 04:58 PM
    right now there is a petition to keep the dtek 50 and 60 alive and that's not even a guarantee and blackberry doesn't even have any control of that. So never mind the prayer of getting its update of putting in a petition to keep the priv
    Alive it's just not going to happen Blackberry has ceased to make Hardware
    09-22-17 05:04 PM
    you guys have me all wrong I love the priv in fact it was my most sought after device a few months ago, I get laughed at for still using bb10
    But facts are facts and blackberry is a software company now...... So from the priv on do you even have a real berry
    09-22-17 05:11 PM
40 12