I'm in the market for a phone again, and I really want the Keyone, but am hesitant to buy a $549 phone unlucked, meaning I would have to mail the phone in if any issues arise. I've seen the Priv is pretty inexpensive now, and would be more willing to spend that amount of money. Should I get a Priv, or wait for Keyone carrier availability in the US?

Envoyé par mon Q10
    05-30-17 10:26 AM
    That depends on your preferences, not the preferences of us people on the internet.

The general consensus would be leaning towards the KEYone.

I personally own a Priv and probably won't spring for the KEYone because cost and I prefer the Priv's form factor and that it has Qi, microUSB, among some minor details.

But on the other hand, while the Priv's heat problems are largely behind it, it's performance is okay/mediocre (which is perfectly fine for me, but not some), whether it'll get Nougat is murky and its battery life is inferior. It's fine for me, but compared to the KEYone or Moto Z Play, it pales like most other phones.

Is KEYone worth the extra $200+? Depends on you. Not to me, but probably to many. I think it makes a compelling case, especially since it's lifespan is just getting started.
    05-30-17 10:44 AM
    PRIV was my 1st pkb BB. I was going to holdout for the K1 but preferred having the option of both pkb & vkb.

I don't have as many issues with heat unless it's updating & I get a full day of battery life. I wouldn't call myself a power user though.

Now that I primarily use the pkb I'd like to have a K1 eventually, but not at top $$. I haven't had my PRIV long & it doesn't seem like an 'old' device. It's snappy enough for me.

Either choice is a good choice so it's definitely all about what you prefer & how much you're trying to spend.
    05-30-17 10:59 AM
    For the current price, the Priv is a steal. The only caveat I would add is that it seems that many of the early build devices had quality control issues. What proportion that really was is impossible to say of course.

By all accounts the KEYone has mega battery life and is clearly better than the Priv for 'orthodox typing' i.e. actually clicking the keys. But at the moment the Priv is better for flick-to-type, scrolling, swiping, etc. Hopefully this area will be addressed by TCL on the KEYone in future updates.

I like the KEYone and if the Priv didn't exist I'd probably buy it when the price comes down a little. But I'm very happy with my Priv with its superb screen, choice of VKB and PKB, superior trackpad, and tbh I prefer the styling and form factor. And all those keyboard shortcuts are there too!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-30-17 12:15 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward waiting for the K1 to drop in price a little bit...I think my Q10 will suffice for a few months since my Moto G3 died. Still impressed that my Q works after 4 years!

Envoyé par mon Q10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-30-17 01:04 PM
    I'm in the market for a phone again, and I really want the Keyone, but am hesitant to buy a $549 phone unlucked, meaning I would have to mail the phone in if any issues arise. I've seen the Priv is pretty inexpensive now, and would be more willing to spend that amount of money. Should I get a Priv, or wait for Keyone carrier availability in the US?

Envoyé par mon Q10
    I do wonder about how Verizon treats or rather treated a private purchase of the Z10. I purchased the Z10 brand new from a private seller (and upgrade they did not want!). I met the guy at a Verizon store (official) and got a sim card from them and they added it to my account and allowed me to insure it. But when it failed three months later, they treated it completely as a warranty replacement. They shipped me a new phone and I returned the old one to them. So there was no hassle with not purchasing it from them. I also purchased a Tour from Best Buy years ago for ZERO Dollars but extended my contract. It was handled similarly - when it was acting up, Verizon upgraded me to the newer whatever that replaced it. Similarly, I purchased the Z30, again privately from an upgrade client and took it to Verizon and insurance on it continued. The Priv I got from Verizon.

I don't know if their policy is the same. But the warranty issues are supposedly with the carrier. The only exceptions were BB dealt directly with Playbook issues since it was not a carrier device. And BB offered that one year support concept for the Priv.
    05-30-17 01:57 PM
    I'd go for the Priv. It really is a steal at current prices and there's nothing stopping you from selling it for a bit less and getting a KEYone in a few months, if you start wishing for a change.
    05-30-17 02:10 PM
    I do wonder about how Verizon treats or rather treated a private purchase of the Z10. I purchased the Z10 brand new from a private seller (and upgrade they did not want!). I met the guy at a Verizon store (official) and got a sim card from them and they added it to my account and allowed me to insure it. But when it failed three months later, they treated it completely as a warranty replacement. They shipped me a new phone and I returned the old one to them. So there was no hassle with not purchasing it from them. I also purchased a Tour from Best Buy years ago for ZERO Dollars but extended my contract. It was handled similarly - when it was acting up, Verizon upgraded me to the newer whatever that replaced it. Similarly, I purchased the Z30, again privately from an upgrade client and took it to Verizon and insurance on it continued. The Priv I got from Verizon.

I don't know if their policy is the same. But the warranty issues are supposedly with the carrier. The only exceptions were BB dealt directly with Playbook issues since it was not a carrier device. And BB offered that one year support concept for the Priv.
    Verizon gave me nothing but hassle when I tried to make a warranty claim on my Z30. It was purchased from them, to boot. I took it in b/c the lock button quit working. They said I could be charged $499 b/c the tiny scratch on the screen indicated physical damage which could've caused the lock screen malfunction. Fortunately our phone plan made it easy for me to steal someone's upgrade.
    05-30-17 02:21 PM
    Verizon gave me nothing but hassle when I tried to make a warranty claim on my Z30. It was purchased from them, to boot. I took it in b/c the lock button quit working. They said I could be charged $499 b/c the tiny scratch on the screen indicated physical damage which could've caused the lock screen malfunction. Fortunately our phone plan made it easy for me to steal someone's upgrade.
    Well, fingers remain crossed almost anytime I deal with Verizon. So I don't know how they will react to my bringing in a K1 from outside the fold, as it were.

I an only guess that if they see sufficient interest in the K1 from their customers they might add it to their offerings - or NOT!
    05-30-17 04:38 PM
    That depends on your preferences, not the preferences of us people on the internet.

The general consensus would be leaning towards the KEYone.

I personally own a Priv and probably won't spring for the KEYone because cost and I prefer the Priv's form factor and that it has Qi, microUSB, among some minor details.

But on the other hand, while the Priv's heat problems are largely behind it, it's performance is okay/mediocre (which is perfectly fine for me, but not some), whether it'll get Nougat is murky and its battery life is inferior. It's fine for me, but compared to the KEYone or Moto Z Play, it pales like most other phones.

Is KEYone worth the extra $200+? Depends on you. Not to me, but probably to many. I think it makes a compelling case, especially since it's lifespan is just getting started.
    I think the keyboard takes away from the screen on the keyone. PRIV is perfect for me , Full screen and the option to go the keyboard.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    06-01-17 07:34 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward waiting for the K1 to drop in price a little bit...I think my Q10 will suffice for a few months since my Moto G3 died. Still impressed that my Q works after 4 years!

Envoyé par mon Q10
    Get the Priv. No telling when the KEYone will actually be in stock.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-17 08:19 AM
    Sorry, but several aspects of the KEYone keyboard leave something to be desired. Three swipe up from home button missing, as is swipe down for symbols. And flick to type is poor compared to Priv, in my opinion. Trackpad scrolling not as smooth either.
    You can go into Settings to activate the VKB, but the screen left is very small.
    Unless you have one of the crappy build Privs or the toaster version, not much reason to shell out another ₤500.
    06-01-17 08:32 AM
    Sorry, but several aspects of the KEYone keyboard leave something to be desired. Three swipe up from home button missing, as is swipe down for symbols. And flick to type is poor compared to Priv, in my opinion. Trackpad scrolling not as smooth either.
    You can go into Settings to activate the VKB, but the screen left is very small.
    Unless you have one of the crappy build Privs or the toaster version, not much reason to shell out another ₤500.
    No swipe down for symbols? Really? WTH?
    06-01-17 10:21 AM
    No swipe down for symbols? Really? WTH?
    I believe it was on the pre-production units so maybe it can be put back!
    Mirko935 likes this.
    06-01-17 10:28 AM
    Yup, you are right.

The Priv is the only phone with a full pkb and vkb that are fully usable.
    06-01-17 04:07 PM
    Agreed and with questionable signal quality this phone is a no go for me
    06-02-17 10:50 PM
    Coming from PRIV and used that for over a year. KEYone is great. Don't listen to others just because they don't like something.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-02-17 11:03 PM
    Well I got both priv and Keyone now. I only had Keyone for few days now and I never thought that I would say this but for me priv keyboard is better for me. Keyboard size is almost identical but Keyone glass keyboard feels slippery compared to priv. Coming from priv, Keyone screen feels so small. Keyboard swipe feels more comfortable in priv. Also, Keyone doesn't feel premium to me compared to priv. I only had Keyone for 2 days so my opinion may change. I can definitely can see why BlackBerry would not be updating priv to nougat. Priv is as good as a Keyone. I am BlackBerry fanboy so Keyone will be in my collection. Keyone does have better design IMO. If priv had same processor as Keyone, I would say priv is better device. Priv is definitely a steal.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-02-17 11:16 PM
    As a Priv owner, I picked up my KEYone today. Wow! After I got it set up with all the apps my Priv had, all I can say is.... there is no comparison!

Besides being absolutely faster in every way possible... the battery life is incredible!!! I had it fully charged around noon, and by the time I wrote this, about 12 hours later, I'm at 70%!!!!!! My Priv would have been absolutely dead with all the use I put the KEYone through... i.e. non stop tinkering. It didn't even get warm.

Tomorrow will be a more fair test, but this thing is resilient!

The fingerprint scanner is absolutely blazing. Immediate! The camera is instantaneous and incredibly clear. The keyboard is the best BlackBerry I have ever used, just as good as the 9900.... perhaps better.

I was hesitant, but this thing is a beast. Can't wait to give it a full day run tomorrow under normal usage.

KEYone all the way. The Priv is so slow compared to it.
    DJBS4LIFE and FF22 like this.
    06-02-17 11:18 PM
    Coming from PRIV and used that for over a year. KEYone is great. Don't listen to others just because they don't like something.
    Yes, as my Mum always says "Bertie, if you're not going to say something nice, don't say anything at all."
    Last edited by Bertie Bear; 06-04-17 at 06:19 AM.
    DJBS4LIFE and FF22 like this.
    06-03-17 02:29 AM
    Personally I'm a value driven individual when it comes to spending money on devices. I'd have to say that if you're a PRIV owner today, I don't see enough value in purchasing the K1 at full price as there isn't a incredible performance gap between the two devices, with the exception of battery life. That being said, if you're a Q10 or Classic hold out right now, the K1 is looking really good as a device replacement for you folks.
    FF22 and Mirko935 like this.
    06-03-17 07:18 AM
    Personally I'm a value driven individual when it comes to spending money on devices. I'd have to say that if you're a PRIV owner today, I don't see enough value in purchasing the K1 at full price as there isn't a incredible performance gap between the two devices, with the exception of battery life. That being said, if you're a Q10 or Classic hold out right now, the K1 is looking really good as a device replacement for you folks.
    I'm not so sure about the performance gap statement. Although the KEYone's 625 SOC is not particularly impressive compared to the Priv's 808 SOC, the performance difference is staggering. Perhaps this is because of Nougat? I'm not sure, but the Priv feels like a clunky, slow device compare to the KEYone.

I'm not trying to cause trouble here... but having a Priv for 18 months and going to the KEYone is a world of difference.
    06-03-17 07:23 AM
    I'm not so sure about the performance gap statement. Although the KEYone's 625 SOC is not particularly impressive compared to the Priv's 808 SOC, the performance difference is staggering. Perhaps this is because of Nougat? I'm not sure, but the Priv feels like a clunky, slow device compare to the KEYone.

I'm not trying to cause trouble here... but having a Priv for 18 months and going to the KEYone is a world of difference.
    Oneplus 5
    06-03-17 07:25 AM
    Oneplus 5
    One plus 5 is likely to be my second device to my Priv, not the KeyOne.
    newcollector likes this.
    06-03-17 07:29 AM

Like $200 - $300 more on the device price world of difference? That was really the point I was trying to make. I don't deny that the K1 is probably a more efficient device from a power consumption standpoint given its battery size and pairing with the Snapdragon 625. But IMO, I get a full day out of my PRIV mixed use, its never so slow for me to get mad at it and heating has been virtually nonexistent since upgrading to Marshmallow. As a current Priv owner, I'd be hard pressed to see the value is shelling out $500+ CND for the K1. Now as mentioned, if your a Q10 or Classic owner (holdout) that's a completely different set of arrangements to me made.
    06-03-17 07:38 AM
41 12