Alright I had to check it out for myself because people have been reporting that the pkb on the Priv hasn't been that good, that it's smaller than the q10 etc

So I went into a store to take a look.

The keyboard certainly didn't feel as nice when pressing the keys, although I was using a dummy unit. I expected the key press feeling would be like the passport's since it's the same design, but it felt a bit cheaper.

As for the size, as that was the main complaint - I found out the problem. It's not that small, and certainly not smaller than the Q10 or approaching the 9810.

The width is a good size, as someone mentioned it's as wide as the Classic (which has the best keyboard BlackBerry has ever made). The problem is that the keys are designed like the passport's, so they're wider and shorter - but they're not a passport sized keys. It's like a miniature version of the Passport.

The problem is that the pkb, while being a good width, the keys are really "short", combined with the lack of silver frets, did make it a bit tougher to use. The vertical dimension of the keys are too short - that's the problem.

I wonder if it is something that you can get used to however, any owners wanna chime in?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 12:37 AM
    I used a Q10 before getting my Priv today. I'm already used to the keyboard. It's the same size as my Q10's keyboard, but the keys do not have as much travel like the Torch 9800 (which I also owned). I think BlackBerry did the best they could with the keyboard considering how thin the device is.
    rjkolo likes this.
    11-10-15 12:41 AM
    I like the physical keyboard on the Priv. The action feels good. People should have no problem using it coming from Q5, Q10, or Classic.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    rjkolo likes this.
    11-10-15 01:13 AM
    The biggest complaint that I have seen that is not size, is that it can't keep up with the typing. But the poster who said that got a replacement that was better.
    11-10-15 01:15 AM
    Went into Bell today to try out the Priv. My only key'd BB phones were a Curve 9360 and a Q5, maybe I'm just used to the lower end keyboard but Priv felt natural to me, and I've been using a Z30 for 2 years. My only issue was swiping up too high and hitting the screen but that just takes getting used to I'm sure.

I also tried out a Passport and I understand why users are having trouble with the narrower keyboard. Not sure what BB could have done differently but maybe they'll make a Passport Marshmallow Edition with upgraded specs and Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 01:56 AM
    The biggest complaint that I have seen that is not size, is that it can't keep up with the typing. But the poster who said that got a replacement that was better.
    This is true for me too. I have a second unit being delivered today (I'm in UK) so hoping that this resolves my issue. It is a difficult keypad to get used to, and no where near as godly as the Classic (for me) but it is still perfectly useable and sizeable enough to get good speed on after practice.

Now if only it kept up...
    11-10-15 02:33 AM
    coming from my Q10 i thought it was easy to use, even with the shorter keys.

in regards to frets, I don't feel the frets on my Q10 at all, since they're lower then the keys. I compared this to the Priv, the priv does have frets. they're just part of the "background" of the keyboard. the space between each row of keys seemed the size of the fret on the Q10, and the height difference between fret and key seemed the same as well.
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    11-10-15 01:59 PM
    coming from my Q10 i thought it was easy to use, even with the shorter keys.

in regards to frets, I don't feel the frets on my Q10 at all, since they're lower then the keys. I compared this to the Priv, the priv does have frets. they're just part of the "background" of the keyboard. the space between each row of keys seemed the size of the fret on the Q10, and the height difference between fret and key seemed the same as well.
    you have no idea what is and is not a fret.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 06:29 PM
    Buy the phone before you post there is nothing wrong with the physical keyboard at all.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Blackberry Priv
    Last edited by o4liberty; 11-12-15 at 10:03 AM.
    11-10-15 07:03 PM
    you have no idea what is and is not a fret.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    Haha ok buddy, whatever you think. I see 4 frets on a daily basis on my Q10 for 2+ years. You're a joke.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 07:15 PM
    Coming from the passport, it's definitely an adjustment. I'm still getting used to it but it will come. When I went to the passport I thought the same thing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 07:52 PM
    Coming from the passport, it's definitely an adjustment. I'm still getting used to it but it will come. When I went to the passport I thought the same thing.

Agreed. I am a Passport user and demoed a AT&T unit as I wait for my Priv to be delivered from BlackBerry. Other than the prior comments about the Priv's shallow feeling keys and smallish keyboard, I immediate noted how mushy the keyboard is compared to my Passport. I use my Passport like crazy and the keys are still firm as can be. Guess it's just something I'll have to get used to.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 09:52 PM
    Went into Bell today to try out the Priv. My only key'd BB phones were a Curve 9360 and a Q5, maybe I'm just used to the lower end keyboard but Priv felt natural to me, and I've been using a Z30 for 2 years. My only issue was swiping up too high and hitting the screen but that just takes getting used to I'm sure.

I also tried out a Passport and I understand why users are having trouble with the narrower keyboard. Not sure what BB could have done differently but maybe they'll make a Passport Marshmallow Edition with upgraded specs and Android.

Posted via CB10
    I had similar problem at first but now I'm used to it. My thumbs just know exactly how much they need to swipe up. I don't have such problems anymore. The ability to adapt of the Human brain is amazing.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-12-15 08:56 AM
    IMO:

Not nearly as clicky and deep(they're shallow) as other BlackBerry phones? Yes. (I used q10 9900 and PP)!

But! Because I don't have to press as hard and have less distance to travel, I imagine this will greatly reduce fatigue of fingers.

Most complaints ive seen so far about pkb is PP users - which is understandable.

11-12-15 09:35 AM
    I used a Q10 before getting my Priv today. I'm already used to the keyboard. It's the same size as my Q10's keyboard, but the keys do not have as much travel like the Torch 9800 (which I also owned). I think BlackBerry did the best they could with the keyboard considering how thin the device is.
    it's wider. Priv's keyboard is as wide as the classic.
    11-12-15 09:39 AM
    The keyboard you will most likely get use to it but the lag that I get sometimes pisses me off.

weezul likes this.
    11-12-15 09:45 AM
    I remember when I first got my BB Torch back in 2010, the keyboard felt tiny! Eventually I got used to it, and when I switched to a Q10, it's keyboard felt huge!

You'll get used to it.

Here's the size difference between Torch and Priv, it's pretty significant. Even if this post isn't ;-)

Priv keyboard complaints-img_20151112_105143.jpgPriv keyboard complaints-img_20151112_105155.jpg
    Fr3lncr, CarGuy1368 and imcurved like this.
    11-12-15 10:04 AM
    +1. Misses double letters, too slow to react to the first letter you touch. The size of the keyboard, and the layout actually came back to me really fast considering being away from it for 2 years
    11-12-15 10:07 AM
    Meh.

I got my Priv last night and I have no quarrel with the keyboard. Yes, it's much smaller than the Passport, but so is the device in width. I'm adapting to it and the tactile feel is fine -- and so is the touch response.

I like it.
    WT44 likes this.
    11-12-15 10:10 AM
    I also do not have any problems with the pkb (I used almost all kinds of BB pkb to date and latest Q10 and Classic)
    11-12-15 10:13 AM
    I remember when I first got my BB Torch back in 2010, the keyboard felt tiny! Eventually I got used to it, and when I switched to a Q10, it's keyboard felt huge!

You'll get used to it.

Here's the size difference between Torch and Priv, it's pretty significant. Even if this post isn't ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151112_105143.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	380249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151112_105155.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	380250
    I'm not sure the Priv keyboard is that much better than the Torch (worst BB PKB of all time?) but your picture is great showing the difference. Thanks for taking the time to post that!
    11-12-15 10:51 AM
    I don't have any issues with the keyboard, ofcourse coming from passport everything is going to seem smaller, but it's not small, perfect size.
    11-12-15 11:05 AM
    In store, and after using Q10 for 2 years, I thought the Priv keyboard was a little too pliable and that the keys do not have enough individual separation somehow; it might be the difference in how they are slanted/positioned. But that being said I started to get the hang of it. With any keyboard there is a several day learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 01:15 PM