First time blackberry owner, upgraded to the Priv mainly because of the physical keyboard and android combo. That and the awesome specs for the price. Anyways, I am not entirely satisfied with the keyboard. I feel its layout is lacking.

I upgraded from the Stratosphere II which had great spacing, and useful buttons like ".com" and the numbers were across the top like a normal keyboard!

Curious if other blackberries have a better physical keyboard?
    12-05-16 02:14 PM
    Priv vs Q10:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rison-1055646/

Priv vs Classic:

http://cdn.mobilesyrup.com/wp-conten...6944082988.jpg

Priv vs Passport:

http://zdnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2...v-passport.jpg

As you can see, the Priv keyboard is essentially the Q10/Classic keyboard, but shaped to fit the constraints of the slider form factor. There are no .com shortcuts or stuff like that on the other devices. The Passport is what it is, with the software fourth row (here: http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/m...ef8127d17c.jpg) and unique dimensions.

There is also the upcoming (?) device codenamed Mercury, which is compared to several devices here (post #138): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post12688082
    shawha_haha likes this.
    12-05-16 02:23 PM
    I wouldn't have thought I'd ever say this but for me typing is easier and faster than on my Classic. I think it's because the keys are not as raised as on the Classic.
    12-05-16 02:55 PM
    Priv keyboard is small and cramped but you can get used to it.
    shawha_haha and Gigolo69 like this.
    12-05-16 03:01 PM
    First time blackberry owner, upgraded to the Priv mainly because of the physical keyboard and android combo. That and the awesome specs for the price. Anyways, I am not entirely satisfied with the keyboard. I feel its layout is lacking.

I upgraded from the Stratosphere II which had great spacing, and useful buttons like ".com" and the numbers were across the top like a normal keyboard!

Curious if other blackberries have a better physical keyboard?
    I don't recall what device would show .com and .org if you held the PERIOD key down. Playbook? Not the 9900 series?
    12-05-16 03:44 PM
    I think it was actually proven that the PRIV keyboard is one of the biggest on a BlackBerry. We all loved the Bold 9900 but it was smaller keyboard than PRIV. With the PRIV, I think it has to do with the keys being shallower due to it being a slider.
    DiegoV_G likes this.
    12-05-16 04:29 PM
    Actually I measured the Priv and 9930 pkbs and posted the photos in another thread. The Priv pkb is actually a hair larger.
    12-05-16 05:00 PM
    I agree with the shallow key hypothesis. It just feels a lot flatter, and I've had the 9000, and 9700. I didn't have a problem with my 9700, and the PKB is a lot larger than that one.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    12-06-16 01:52 PM
    I've had the 9000, 9700, 9800, Q10, Passport and now the Priv. I find the Priv keyword too soft and not clicky.

I'm okay with its size.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 12:22 AM
    I don't recall what device would show .com and .org if you held the PERIOD key down. Playbook? Not the 9900 series?
    I had a samsung, "Stratosphere II" it was one of the few androids and maybe the only 4G LTE to have a keyboard. The keys were well spaced, the numbers were on the top row and that .com button saved me ample seconds! I am new to blackberry, a die hard physical keyboard guy, and Priv with android had me sold as soon as I found out about it!

However, I think blackberry could do better on this keyboard......
    andy957 likes this.
    12-07-16 12:35 AM
    I think it was actually proven that the PRIV keyboard is one of the biggest on a BlackBerry. We all loved the Bold 9900 but it was smaller keyboard than PRIV. With the PRIV, I think it has to do with the keys being shallower due to it being a slider.

This is actually the problem...I just got my Priv, but will be using the vkb waaaaaaaaay more than the pkb.... I wish the kb was raised a bit more...
    andy957 and chuckiev79 like this.
    12-07-16 01:18 AM
    I had a Bold 9700, which has a ridiculously small pkb compared to the Classic. The Priv has the same size as the Classic so not a problem for me coming from that device. If you had the passport, it is smaller, but apart from being thinner due to the design and feeling "fragile" when you are used to the classic's keyboard, it works... Mostly use it as a trackpad. short replies work on the vkb with word suggestion...maybe not the best ever, but it still works cos its a blackberry keyboard.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-07-16 02:39 AM
    This is actually the problem...I just got my Priv, but will be using the vkb waaaaaaaaay more than the pkb.... I wish the kb was raised a bit more...
    For that I believe they would have had to make the device thicker, and you know these days everything is getting slimmer. The keys are definitely "softer" than previous Blackberry's but you get used to it quickly.
    pineapple2607, FF22 and Hazo like this.
    12-08-16 06:46 AM
    But still the best pkb in the wild. Aside from Passport, only Priv sports capacitive scrolling which makes it even awesome. Been using BlackBerry for years and yes, it's not as clicky as the others but still the best so far.
    chuckiev79 and qwerty4ever like this.
    12-08-16 09:57 AM
    I'm sure there is some autocomplete that can add. Com for you in the browser and such? You should learn to use the swiping predictions if you want to love the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-16 10:41 AM
    I'm sure there is some autocomplete that can add. Com for you in the browser and such? You should learn to use the swiping predictions if you want to love the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    That's actually a problem, I have noticed the physical keyboard barely responds for the swipe up predictions. I have to swipe vertically 2-4 times before it registers. The touch sensor on the keyboard works just fine for everything else, just not swipe predictions... That one is definitely frustrating...
    12-08-16 05:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's how it was for my Passport. Just type the website, then swipe up with my right thumb to fill the .com.
    12-08-16 05:44 PM
    Total junk.
    I have ordered a DTEK 60 as I don't use the PKB on the Priv and the PKB gives you a wobbly screen.
    12-09-16 10:24 AM
    I have both Priv and Classic and find the Classic keyboard to give me a better performance. I love that the Classic has more "click" on its keys and also that they seem to stick out more and be a bit harder, which helps the precision of the typing.
    But I love that the Priv keyboard is sensitive and allows you to swipe and scroll the page without touching the screen.
    I think they both are great in their own way. I simply love qwerty keyboards <3

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    12-09-16 10:39 AM
    Well the keyboard is smaller than the Classic and the Passport and maybe the Q10 but it is bigger than the Torch Bolds Curves. Two years ago I was using a Bold 9650 although its physical keyboard was better than any touchscreen phone it was very small and many times I messed up typing on it because my thumbs were so big against it to me the PRIV is a Wonderful keypad the only problem is that it is flat like the Torch sliders but then again it's a slider. sometimes to have something that is great you need to make a few sacrifices here's my rating on BlackBerry keyboards

#1 Classic
    #2 Passport
    #3 Q10
    #4 Bold 9900 / 9930
    #5 PRIV
    #6 Bold 9650 and other Bolds and Tours
    #7 Curve and 9720
    #8 Torch
    #9 porche design
    12-09-16 12:38 PM
    Total junk.
    I have ordered a DTEK 60 as I don't use the PKB on the Priv and the PKB gives you a wobbly screen.
    I disagree completely.
    FF22 and qwerty4ever like this.
    12-09-16 07:46 PM
    The Bold 9900 and the Classic were my faves but as with each of them, I had to adjust. I love my Priv's keyboard now and the form factor. Mine does click and does not feel squishy at all. I bought a later model from ShopBlackberry. I type a lot for work on my phone, so the PKB is a blessing for long emails and texts. I also am pleased with the battery life on my Priv. I was on my phone with calls, emails and LinkedIn notifications and still had 50 percent by 6pm. This phone has served me very well.
    smertz likes this.
    12-09-16 10:01 PM
    The Priv keyboard is actually decent BUT only if you get a unit that was made properly.

I've owned 5 Privs to date and only one had a pkb where all keys clicked properly.

The other ones had several keys that were mush/stuck. Subsequently returned obviously or sold.

I firmly believe a lot of people's gripes with the Privs pkb do with the fact that so few of them were properly assembled.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 02:05 PM
    The Bold 9900 and the Classic were my faves but as with each of them, I had to adjust. I love my Priv's keyboard now and the form factor. Mine does click and does not feel squishy at all. I bought a later model from ShopBlackberry. I type a lot for work on my phone, so the PKB is a blessing for long emails and texts. I also am pleased with the battery life on my Priv. I was on my phone with calls, emails and LinkedIn notifications and still had 50 percent by 6pm. This phone has served me very well.
    Exactly. I had one that was not squishy at all either, so it's possible.

But it's a crapshoot with this joke of a company.

But I keep buying!

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 02:07 PM
    The Priv keyboard is actually decent BUT only if you get a unit that was made properly.

I've owned 5 Privs to date and only one had a pkb where all keys clicked properly.

The other ones had several keys that were mush/stuck. Subsequently returned obviously or sold.

I firmly believe a lot of people's gripes with the Privs pkb do with the fact that so few of them were properly assembled.

Posted via CB10
    I guess I was one of the ones who got lucky. Mine has no issues at all. I did get mine many months after release though.
    12-10-16 02:12 PM
56 123