Priv and Passport really couldn't be more different. They are really two completely different phones with almost nothing in common.

For me, the transition from Passport to Priv has been hard. I'll break it down. There are huge differences in: form factor, user experience, and battery life.

Form factor differences are obvious.

Passport is heavy and built like a tank. Priv is thin and light and elegant. Boy, I know I am out of touch with what most people like but I prefer a heavy phone. Priv is beautiful and well constructed. I just wish BlackBerry had used some of that Stainless Steel from Passport and given the phone some heft.

Passport has a square screen and a huge physical keyboard. Priv has a 16X9 screen and a small slide out physical keyboard with an option to use an on-screen keyboard. For me, there is no better typing experience than on the Passport, specifically, the Passport SE. It is huge and feels great. On Priv, I find myself using the onscreen keyboard most of the time. It is basically the same as the one on the Z BB10 devices. The physical keyboard is unlike any other BB keyboard. It is around the size of a Bold 9900 (I have one laying around and compared) but it is much more firm and clicky. They keys actually feel a little bit pointy. The layout feels strange with the Alt key. I am sure I would get used to it over time but it has not been an easy transition. It is just about practice.

The Priv's screen is awesome. I love amoled with its deep blacks. The form factor is much better for most content like video and most apps. Passport has a good screen but on balance, the square form factor is a compromise in many respects. With the screen being so important, BlackBerry scores a lot of points for getting this right on Priv.

These are two completely different phones for a software user experience point of view. I admit that I love BB10 and I wish it had been more successful. I am also very used to BB10 having used it since it was first launched. For me, Android is cartoony and busy. BB10 is understated and efficient. Everything on Android is a bright color. Animation transitions POP everywhere. Every interaction has a sound or haptic feedback buzz. I tried working like this but I couldn't. It was sensory overload for me. I had to dial everything back. Off went the sounds. Off went haptic feedback. I wish I could tone done the animations and colors, but I can't. I want things to be as simple and understated as possible. People will say that this is Android and I can pick a different launcher. I guess that they are right. I'm just giving my impressions of the experiences that BlackBerry provided OOTB.

Another pet peeve with Priv is waking the device. On BB10, you just swipe up. On Priv, first you double tap the screen and then swipe up. Why the extra step BlackBerry? It seems silly but it is something you have to do dozens of times a day. Why did BlackBerry mess with success when it had it right already?

I am not going to ding BlackBerry too much for how the Hub is not as good on Priv as it is on BB10. It is clear that Blackberry is working on it. We have seen several updates so far. I think that eventually it will be as good as BB10's Hub is.

Battery life seems to be much worse on Priv than it is on Passport. When I pick it up first thing in the morning, the battery always seems to take a huge quick hit. Then, it seems to settle down. I never had battery issues with Passport. The Priv's battery size is comparable to the Passport's so I'm hoping that Blackberry can improve this over time. I have a quick charger, but somehow it does not seem to charge Priv very quickly. I wonder if quick charging is really working.

You can see that my transition hasn't been easy but I'm learning.
    11-15-15 07:47 AM
    I agree with absolutely everything you've have said. I was a passport SE user as well and you are spot on about everything in my opinion. Are you keeping the priv?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-15-15 08:06 AM
    I'm sticking with the Priv but I confess that I'm back on Passport right now.

Posted via CB10
    so crow likes this.
    11-15-15 08:08 AM
    I hear you. I'm still keeping my SE handy in case the Priv doesn't work out. They both stay with me daily, for now.
    11-15-15 08:10 AM
    A few of us who use a Droid as a backup phone were chatting on BBM about jumping to the Priv. If you really truly love BB10, then it's going to be a bit of a challenge giving much of that up for Droid, no matter how good the "Hub" gets on Priv. If you have never used a Droid before, it's really going to be a learning curve, but eventually, it will be 2nd nature. If you are indifferent, then Priv may be a good choice for you.

Eventually if Berry gets the Hub to the way users like it on Priv and other DBerry products (Droid/Berry), I'm sure those of you jumping to the new platform will find it useful and workable. Especially if you are into App. If not, then you may come home to BB10. It will be interesting to see what has evolved regarding the Priv in a year.
    11-15-15 08:17 AM
    I am currently using the passport as well, but I am too eager not to buy the priv. Do you recommend atleast checking it out and using for some time?

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 08:18 AM
    I am currently using the passport as well, but I am too eager not to buy the priv. Do you recommend atleast checking it out and using for some time?

Posted via CB10
    If you like BlackBerry you should check out the Priv.

Obviously, most people who use smartphones on the Planet Earth are happy with Android. I think it is really all what you are used to. Coming from BB10, you have to make some adjustments.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 08:46 AM
    I'm definitely on the fence about going to something like the Priv from my Z30. I think if you're a current BlackBerry 10 user with no previous engagements with either Android or iOS, the transition to one of those platforms from BB10 isn't as easy as one would think.

I think the best course of action someone like myself and other could take is to hold off till BlackBerry's vision of Android matures a bit, so that the shell shock of moving over doesn't take away from the experience of owning a new device.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    11-15-15 09:10 AM
    It's Android and BlackBerry has made the decision to keep it as close to stock Android as possible. There is going to be she'll shock no matter what.

I don't think BlackBerry was wrong to take this approach because most people seem to prefer stock Android over others.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:16 AM
    Two small things:

There is a color saturation and white adjust

And

You can directly unlock to home instead of lock screen

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android - Priv Until Death do Us Part
    11-15-15 09:19 AM
    Changing the color saturation is just going to screw up all the colors. The colors are intended to be as they are.

Plus, I need a lock screen, I just want to swipe up and get there, not wake the screen, then swipe up. It's one extra unneeded step that I have to repeat dozens of times a day.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:28 AM
    (Try lift to wake yet?)

Changing the color saturation is just going to screw up all the colors. The colors are intended to be as they are.

Plus, I need a lock screen, I just want to swipe up and get there, not wake the screen, then swipe up. It's one extra unneeded step that I have to repeat dozens of times a day.

Posted via CB10
    I feel you, lots of others have the same complaints - and they are legitimate.

Hope to see them fixed or implemented solutions.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android - Priv Until Death do Us Part
    11-15-15 09:30 AM
    Most of these things are not complaints. They are just differences that are hard for me to get used to. BB10 is intuitive and comfortable because I've been using it for years. I'm not used to Android yet.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-15-15 09:47 AM
    Why are you sticking with the priv? Did you buy yours full retail or did you have it financed?

11-15-15 09:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't hurt. If you don't like the Priv, you can return it.
    11-15-15 09:54 AM
    I'm sticking with the Priv for a few reasons.

First thing is that the bones of the phone are good. I just need to get used to it. It's not that the phone is bad. I wouldn't stick with a bad phone.

Second thing is that, let's face it, there is no future in BB10. It's dead and we will never see another new device.

Third thing is that the app situation is much better than it is on Passport.

Fourth thing is that I want to see this device develop. I like that there will be regular updates and new features added in.

There are probably other reasons.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 and ProjectBrett like this.
    11-15-15 09:57 AM
    Thanks for your post.

I've been using a Passport since launch and been considering the Priv...

I've used Android in the past and haven't any issues... things are just done differently.

Like what other users have said... the learning curve for someone who has never touched Android will be tough, but that goes with any OS change.

This is really an Android phone with BlackBerry features.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:59 AM
    Thanks for this LGM. Good job.
    11-15-15 10:04 AM
    I don't know about numbers 2 and 4. What do you think blackberry will do if the priv has significant problems with returns / sell-through? What happens if they actually end up selling more passports than they sell privs?

11-15-15 01:45 PM
    I don't know about numbers 2 and 4. What do you think blackberry will do if the priv has significant problems with returns / sell-through? What happens if they actually end up selling more passports than they sell privs?

Then we'll have to get used to Android anyway. Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 02:14 PM
    Then we'll have to get used to Android anyway. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. BlackBerry's last shot.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 02:15 PM
    I am pretty sure I am going to get a Priv, just not now. Today I went to a popular restaurant only to realize that I won't be able to get a table unless I wait for 2 hours... or download a Nowait app so I can reserve a table before I leave home.

But that app need Google Services, which I tried patching using lucky patcher and still won't work. And no, you can't use it with your browser.

The world has moved on, faster and faster. We either move on and catch up with the world or become dinasourses or caveman.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-15-15 03:04 PM
    Exactly. BlackBerry's last shot.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I know they say that but I don't see them just ditching the hardware ever unless they break up the company. I genuinely think they might focus on cost reduction and switch back to bb10 exclusively if the imaginary situation I outlined above were to come to pass.

11-15-15 07:02 PM
    Most of these things are not complaints. They are just differences that are hard for me to get used to. BB10 is intuitive and comfortable because I've been using it for years. I'm not used to Android yet.

Posted via CB10
    I went from BBOS to Android, and used that phone for two years. I never fully got used to it. I even played around with widgets and app arrangement on home screen but was never able to find a combination that worked for me. Then I got my Z10 and within a few days felt right at home.

I considered the Priv up until the Louks interview on Android Central. I was hoping BlackBerry would put more BlackBerry onto Android but it sounds now that they have no such plans. He did say they might tweak some stuff in the name of productivity if need be but I dunno, I doubt it.

Granted, Android has changed since I was last on it but much if it remains the same... ...including all I find annoying.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:31 PM
    I am pretty sure I am going to get a Priv, just not now. Today I went to a popular restaurant only to realize that I won't be able to get a table unless I wait for 2 hours... or download a Nowait app so I can reserve a table before I leave home.

But that app need Google Services, which I tried patching using lucky patcher and still won't work. And no, you can't use it with your browser.

The world has moved on, faster and faster. We either move on and catch up with the world or become dinasourses or caveman.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    For what it is worth I think that relying on apps to accomplish tasks that even a year where normal to do so without are bringing us closer to caveman than not.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:35 PM