I can appreciate why the Priv came out as an Android device. My wife's company, Hewlett Packard, will not let their employees use a Blackberry device, their choices are either Android or Apple. So even those who want to us a Blackberry, like my wife, can't. This device opens Blackberry up to businesses that for now have been closed off to Blackberry.

I'm still using my Z10. I like the Z30 but it's too big to strap on my arm for my weekly runs. I'm also not really a fan of the Leap (low end specs), the Passbook, or the Classic - great phones, but I need the screen real-estate and some apps just don't run (even using Snap) on the keyboard devices.

I love the flow of BB10, it may take a little longer to learn the OS, but once you're there, every other OS feels clunky (as was highlighted by Chen when he recently demoed the Priv - which of course means he's currently using a BB10 product :-)

I would have purchased the Priv had it been a BB10 device. I would have paid up to $1000 for it given the specs and the fact it was a Blackberry. I would have adjusted to the larger phone for my runs because the specs are finally worthy of a Blackberry fan. My company still supports Blackberry, but for how much longer, especially given this announcement, is unclear. I'm disappointed that so many good suggestions on Crackberry didn't get executed on. A dual boot phone, a choice between BB10 or Android being the top two I was hoping for.

Unfortunately I will not be buying the Priv, I can't stand the Android OS, it's awkward, slow and not intuitive. Unfortunately I'm also a shareholder, so I want the phone to be successful, which could speed the demise of BB10. You'd think with $3 billion in the bank they could have solved the app issue, especially with Android Run Time in the background.

Best of luck Blackberry, with no new BB10 devices on the horizon this will likely be my last post. I hope they have a change of heart, but current commentary does not support this. I'm not sure what my next phone will be as I don't like Android, I don't like Apple and didn't really care much for Microsoft's latest offering. Most of all I'm disappointed that Blackberry is giving up on BB10 - sure, two new software releases while they try to convince the world they can secure Android, but that's not a new phone it's a bait and switch.

It's been a great ride, until we meet again.
    KAM1138, JR94, Asvertus and 3 others like this.
    10-13-15 03:13 PM
    They tried for 2-1/2 years.... at some point you cut your losses and move one to something else. It's sad and it's will be hard for some to deal with... but life will go on.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    10-13-15 03:26 PM
    You'll be back.
    10-13-15 03:35 PM
    It's a phone #ffs

Posted from my Blackberry Classic
    anon(2313227) and John Doe99 like this.
    10-13-15 03:36 PM
    I'm disappointed in companies like HP, and thousands of others, that do not allow BB10 devices; which is truly the source of the problem (no company support > no BBOD > no retail > no consumers > no Apps > no marketshare). On Fantasy Island, I would love for BB10 to make headway with the public. But it's not happening. Therefore, I fully support and understand BlackBerry's decision. I hope they succeed, and perhaps add some BB10 features down the road if the Priv gains traction, because being a part of an 80% ecosystem is better than 100% of nothing.
    DarkJoker33 and Carmels like this.
    10-13-15 03:44 PM
    I love my Passport and enjoyed using the other BB10 devices since launch but BlackBerry needs to start selling Android devices to survive. As a fellow shareholder, I'll support that move by buying the Priv even though I'm not a big fan of Android but at least it's better than iOS.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and DarkJoker33 like this.
    10-13-15 04:12 PM
    Life will go on, it will just be a little less productive and a little more frustrating.
    00stryder, anon(2313227) and m1kr0 like this.
    10-14-15 05:10 PM
    Yes, if they produce a BB10 device that I like, otherwise all bets are off.
    10-14-15 05:11 PM
    No, if it was just a phone I wouldn't care. It's a small computer that does the following for me:
    - wakes me up the in the morning
    - shows me the fastest way to work
    - provides me the latest weather updates
    - provides news updates from 10 different sources
    - compiles all my communications into one spot
    - provides best in class security so I don't spend my time clearing out spam from my phone
    - tracks all my physical activity from running, to skiing to mountain biking to kayaking
    - allows me to search the internet at any time for information on virtually anything

While many phones can do some or even many of these things, no others do it as well or as securely, so it's not just a phone - it's the one tool I use more than any other tool.
    Quorist and BerryRipe like this.
    10-14-15 05:22 PM
    All fair points. Buy I would have liked to see Blackberry set up their own android app store. Developers wouldn't need to do anything but load their apps. This would have addressed both the app issue and the security issue.
    10-14-15 05:25 PM
    While it is better than iOS, it's still no BB10.
    10-14-15 05:26 PM
    While it is better than iOS, it's still no BB10.
    And BB10 is no webOS...

Curse HP and Leo, Curse SAP for sending us these paper mill CEOs... oh look we got one at BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 06:27 PM
    They tried for 2-1/2 years.... at some point you cut your losses and move one to something else. It's sad and it's will be hard for some to deal with... but life will go on.
    Spot on.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 07:07 PM
    You'll be back.
    I think you're right!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 07:07 PM
    Life will go on, it will just be a little less productive and a little more frustrating.
    Hey, that was my take when those idiotic screen keyboards took off "just because Apple said so".

Apparently, if Apple told its users to go jump off a cliff, they would. And they would preach to you about how beneficial that is to your life.
    Quorist and HabsFan9860 like this.
    10-14-15 07:29 PM
    I understand where you are coming from, but I'm going to call BS on this. Thor tried and he sold phones -- not as many as the market wanted given BlackBerry's perceived upgrade potential, but a good number give that it was an entirely new platform. Chen immediately began firing, losing, or transferring the BB10 team and quickly withdrew all consumer advertising or sales efforts. He almost never mentioned BB10 publicly and routinely cast doubt on the future of device sales altogether in public comments. Most recently, he's been refusing to state there's a future at all beyond maintenance upgrades for BB10, the OS that ships on every device consumers can currently buy. Who is going to buy a BlackBerry 10 device right now?

Anyway, I think BB10 had about 8 months. It should have gotten 5 years as Thor planned. We should have seen ecosystem development efforts grow and differentiating features like Blendy Apps added. But, well, John Chen bet everything on software, in which BlackBerry isn't at best a mid-tier player. Now the company has lost almost all the key players on the BB10 team and software revenues have not increased quickly enough to cope with the fact that Chen either is hellbent on neglecting devices or couldn't sell a phone if he tried. BlackBerry's revenues are now half what they were under Thor and quarter over quarter Thor sold way more phones. BB10 was a longshot, but a good play at the future. Now that BlackBerry is a device builder and not a platform, I'd say Chen needs to sell, maybe, 20 million this year to be successful. He'll sell more than BB10 phones under his leadership and then call the Priv a success even if he only sells 10 million. I'd take 10 million BB10 devices in a year, no complaints, though. But, Google will monetize from the platform, Chen is now just about making money from unit sales... sad...

Posted via CB10
    KAM1138 likes this.
    10-14-15 07:44 PM
    By your logic, only BlackBerry users are productive and the other 99.9% of mobile users are not. Stop sucking on the rhetoric. You sound silly. I love BB10 as much as the next guy, but to not see that it has not sold well.

If you open your eyes, you will see that the rest of the world is productive without BB10. You may just have to get used to an alternative.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-15-15 03:02 PM
    No, if it was just a phone I wouldn't care. It's a small computer that does the following for me:
    - provides best in class security so I don't spend my time clearing out spam from my phone
    - tracks all my physical activity from running, to skiing to mountain biking to kayaking
    - allows me to search the internet at any time for information on virtually anything

While many phones can do some or even many of these things, no others do it as well or as securely, so it's not just a phone - it's the one tool I use more than any other tool.
    Dude, unless you are on BES, your Blackberry is no more or less secure than any other non BES hand set. Stop with the security tripe.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 03:07 PM
    As I said in one of my post, I have been using Blackberry products since the early days and I am buying two of them the day it's officially ready to buy. As a true fan, I am embracing the Priv and the Android based device, it's still a device that's designed and built by Blackberry and that's good enough for me.
    Quorist and qwerty4ever like this.
    10-15-15 03:09 PM

OP are you on BES? If you aren't then you aren't more secure than any other phone out there. Also I'm not sure what best in class security has to do with Spam on your phone. Minus the hub, both Android and iOS can do what those things you want and do them better.
    10-15-15 06:19 PM
    OP are you on BES? If you aren't then you aren't more secure than any other phone out there. Also I'm not sure what best in class security has to do with Spam on your phone. Minus the hub, both Android and iOS can do what those things you want and do them better.
    I'm very secure. Currently tied to a chair.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Quorist likes this.
    10-16-15 04:53 AM
    I'm very secure. Currently tied to a chair.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Lol, security at its best.
    10-16-15 05:16 AM
    Eventually you're gonna have to adapt to another's OS. We have all done it. At one point I thought I couldn’t live without Symbian OS now I laugh at those times.

I use Android on daily basis and it's anything but "awkward, slow and not intuitive". If it was anything like this it would not be #1 OS. If bb10 was the god-like you make it sound to be then all people and big corporations would have gone with it.

Things change. You either get on board or you get left behind. Im glad BlackBerry has realized this, maybe one day you will too.
    Adam Frix likes this.
    10-16-15 06:51 AM
    I totally agree with the original post. If want "fruity" lifestyle, then I do not buy a blackberry but a Cupertino product. BB buyers trust in BB's software and security. It is difficult to understand what is goind on right now.
    11-09-15 03:27 PM
    Eventually you're gonna have to adapt to another's OS. We have all done it. At one point I thought I couldn�t live without Symbian OS now I laugh at those times.

I use Android on daily basis and it's anything but "awkward, slow and not intuitive". If it was anything like this it would not be #1 OS. If bb10 was the god-like you make it sound to be then all people and big corporations would have gone with it.

Things change. You either get on board or you get left behind. Im glad BlackBerry has realized this, maybe one day you will too.
    Ok not saying its not the number one OS, but how in the heck is it? It's horrible. I'd rather use iosx or whatever than Android. And just because it " outsells" something does not mean its better. Kinda like the transformers movies vs ohhhh any other movie.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-09-15 03:39 PM
29 12