I just realized all the negative comments about the Priv remind me of CrackBerry forums when the digitizer for the Passport was launched. It's funny because we were all up in arms about it, and now everyone loves their Passports as the best phone ever!

I think we are uncomfortable with change. We should give Priv a fair shot. Who knows, maybe we'll love it as much as the Passport or even more!

There are enough people hating on BlackBerry these days. Let's not help those people out. We are BlackBerry Fans.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 11:37 PM
    I just realized all the negative comments about the Priv remind me of CrackBerry forums when the digitizer for the Passport was launched. It's funny because we were all up in arms about it, and now everyone loves their Passports as the best phone ever!

I think we are uncomfortable with change. We should give Priv a fair shot. Who knows, maybe we'll love it as much as the Passport or even more!

There are enough people hating on BlackBerry these days. Let's not help those people out. We are BlackBerry Fans.

Posted via CB10
    I'm starting to warm up to the name and the idea of play store, we should stop judging it until it's finished. I agree with what you are saying 100%

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:02 AM
    I'm starting to warm up to the name and the idea of play store, we should stop judging it until it's finished. I agree with what you are saying 100%

Posted via CB10
    It's funny you said that, I'm starting to warm up to the name too.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:10 AM
    You're absolutely right. I remember the very first image of the Passport. Everyone here hated it. It looked so odd.

I admit that once the name Priv leaked on Twitter it almost pushed me over the edge. I posted my feelings and thoughts on a thread that very same night. Luckily for me every single concern I mentioned was addressed today. The name was shockingly bad when it first surface but I have to admit it's starting to grow on me.

I'm getting this phone the moment it's available BUT there is no way in the world it could replace my beloved Passport as my daily driver.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    09-26-15 12:24 AM
    Nah name is still bad in my mind. Sounds funny in all the languages I know.. American English, British English, Spanish, French.

Wondering if phonetically it sounds strange or odd in other languages like Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, etc..

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 12:54 AM
    Its still a terrible name. The passports functionality won me over even though initially I wasnt fond of its design. The name of the slider brings nothing to the device which will add to the enjoyment of use. It doesnt mean that I wont buy it because I will need an upgrade and it looks like it has a lot of stuff I would like; big screen, pkb, and hopefully a sharp camera unlike my passport. But if I do end up buying it, I will be referring to it as the blackberry slider or the new blackberry. I know trolls aside there are a load of blackberry fan boys on this forum and people will 'warm up to it' out of company loyalty. But when the name first leaked and 80% of our brand loyalist community didnt like the name it, seems the company has missed the mark. This would have been an easy device to name and ive seen a number of really good suggestions just around here from forum members.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 07:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't care what they call it. It's a BlackBerry. All that should matter is if it works well, battery life is good, and feels premiums like the Passport.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2639 / Telus
    09-26-15 07:51 AM
    lol to be honest I held the Passport at a BlackBerry Enteprise event in London last year and didn't like it at all. But the more leaks I saw, the more I started to see the use of the big screen combined with the physical keyboard. And still, when I received it, I was mind blown about its size. This is the first phone I'll be rocking for longer than a year. It still wows me when I pick it up

I'll buy the Priv and try it out to see if I can like Android enough to make it my daily driver. I've toyed with Samsung and HTC devices and found it to be all over the place. The Hub will make me very happy, depending on how integrared with the rest of the OS it will be.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-26-15 08:06 AM
    Hate? I don't know. To me, the Priv seems more like the weird uncle in everyone's family who smells funny, is a bit of an embarrassment and someone to be avoided at family reunions. It's true that we might consider him the black sheep, talk about him behind his back, and sometimes even made fun of him, but he is still family.
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 09-26-15 at 10:37 AM.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-26-15 08:11 AM
    I have no opinion of the passport. I still to this day have been able to find one to pick up and play with. It might be amazing, it might suck. I have no way to know. I have however used a few android phones, and while some had awesome screens, and awesome cameras, I just don't like the OS. From everything I've seen so far BlackBerry has not changed the actual OS interface very much, so I actually can form an opinion on this phone. You know it was designed for bb10 because of the capacitive keyboard, they must have made the decision to go android very late, because it's kind of pointless without gestures, and it can't justify whatever it costs to make in my mind. They must have already committed to it before they decided to go android. I also know that whenever BlackBerry does anything it takes like a year before it works right. Remember the storm? Worst phone I ever had. Remember the storm2? One of the best phones I ever had. Remember bb10 on launch day? It was horrible! It took until 10.2 before it was even really usable IMO! So what are the chances this brand new modified OS will work 100% correctly day 1? Especially since it was a last minute decision? I guess we'll see?

P.s. The name is weird.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 08:39 AM
    I absolutely prefer the name Priv over Venice!

Just holding to it in real then I will see if I like it or not.
    09-26-15 09:08 AM
    I have no opinion of the passport. I still to this day have been able to find one to pick up and play with. It might be amazing, it might suck. I have no way to know. I have however used a few android phones, and while some had awesome screens, and awesome cameras, I just don't like the OS. From everything I've seen so far BlackBerry has not changed the actual OS interface very much, so I actually can form an opinion on this phone. You know it was designed for bb10 because of the capacitive keyboard, they must have made the decision to go android very late, because it's kind of pointless without gestures, and it can't justify whatever it costs to make in my mind. They must have already committed to it before they decided to go android. I also know that whenever BlackBerry does anything it takes like a year before it works right. Remember the storm? Worst phone I ever had. Remember the storm2? One of the best phones I ever had. Remember bb10 on launch day? It was horrible! It took until 10.2 before it was even really usable IMO! So what are the chances this brand new modified OS will work 100% correctly day 1? Especially since it was a last minute decision? I guess we'll see?

P.s. The name is weird.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it was a last minute decision. The decision must have been taken early last year after the passport was released, when they started planning for the next phone. I remember reading somewhere that Chen just went ahead with releasing the passport because it was already in development and they could not bin it.

So this is Chens first phone after becoming CEO of BlackBerry. I maybe wrong but this is what I believe.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 09:17 AM
    I don't think it was a last minute decision. The decision must have been taken early last year after the passport was released, when they started planning for the next phone. I remember reading somewhere that Chen just went ahead with releasing the passport because it was already in development and they could not bin it.

So this is Chens first phone after becoming CEO of BlackBerry. I maybe wrong but this is what I believe.

Posted via CB10
    I think they had all the hardware specked out, vendors lined up, and everything before. People don't realize how long it takes to bring a product to market, this device was planned out before the passport released. I believe they have a bb10 OS for the device, I just think they won't release it.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 09:38 AM
    Not sure if I like the name..but I'm not buying the device based on the name. I agree...lets not add fuel to the fire
    09-26-15 09:40 AM
    You're absolutely right. I remember the very first image of the Passport. Everyone here hated it. It looked so odd.

I admit that once the name Priv leaked on Twitter it almost pushed me over the edge. I posted my feelings and thoughts on a thread that very same night. Luckily for me every single concern I mentioned was addressed today. The name was shockingly bad when it first surface but I have to admit it's starting to grow on me.

I'm getting this phone the moment it's available BUT there is no way in the world it could replace my beloved Passport as my daily driver.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    I'm thinking the same. I'll be getting the Priv but I can't give up my Passport!

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:28 AM
    I don't care what they call it. It's a BlackBerry. All that should matter is if it works well, battery life is good, and feels premiums like the Passport.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2639 / Telus
    Agreed. And I am worried about battery. I hear Android is not great on battery and I'm very used to my full day of heavy use on Passport or sometimes two days!

I'm also wondering if they will use BlackBerry 's browser and on screen keyboard. Which I love! BlackBerry ringtones? We have seen the BlackBerry Spark in images, so i hope it's there and active. Sound profile and bedtime mode? I love bedtime mode! Maybe peek and flow will come as app purchases from BlackBerry?

I did read that Priv will not be as secure as we would like at launch with added security coming in the new year. I thought that was odd.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...service=mobile

"But it wont be as secure as a BB10 handset, a fact Mr. Chen confirmed on Friday, saying further security improvements to the Priv would come in the new year. For a company that has prided itself on bulletproof security since its inception, the move could be a letdown for some, considering Mr. Chens pledge that the company would not make an Android device unless it could secure the platform."

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:37 AM
    Nah name is still bad in my mind. Sounds funny in all the languages I know.. American English, British English, Spanish, French.

Wondering if phonetically it sounds strange or odd in other languages like Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, etc..

Posted via CB10
    American English and British English must indeed be new languages.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 10:36 PM
    I. You know it was designed for bb10 because of the capacitive keyboard, they must have made the decision to go android very late, because it's kind of pointless without gestures, and it can't justify whatever it costs to make in my mind.
    So if was designed for BlackBerry 10
    Maybe, just maybe... one day we can install bb10 on the phone... who knows...

But it will be cool if you can buy the handset with a choice of BlackBerry os
    Or Droid os

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:06 PM
    So if was designed for BlackBerry 10
    Maybe, just maybe... one day we can install bb10 on the phone... who knows...

But it will be cool if you can buy the handset with a choice of BlackBerry os
    Or Droid os

Posted via CB10
    That might just be the killer because I think I read somewhere that Microsoft is planning on bringing out a phone with dual boot. Choose the OS at the beginning and stick with it.

But I don't think that is going to happen with BlackBerry...

Just wishing it happens...

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:38 PM
    I've been using an Android phone (HTC One M8) along with my BlackBerry Classic. Not too long ago I invested in an iPhone 6 Plus (tech nerd here). All the OS's have their pros and cons. I love the BlackBerry OS but do need a backup playmate due to lack of apps. I am really anxious to get my hands on the new Priv when it's released. IMO, the Google Play Store is far superior to the iTunes App Store, and I think if development and design end up working out seamlessly the Priv is going to be a real crowd pleaser. However, if the Priv does, in fact, end up running on Android, as rumored, the skin is going to be an integral part of development. If Samsung's TouchWiz skin is used, forget it! Hopefully there will be a release date soon with all the specs. My prediction is a release date in mid November.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, that is how people are when change shows up. They first hate everything about it (shape, size, specs, name, etc.), then they start talking about the price even though it is pure speculation, and at the end they cannot stop talking about how wonderful it is. You can see that for anything BlackBerry does.
    10-08-15 03:08 AM
    I agree OP.

I was one of those that laughed at the Passport when it first leaked. Then I bought it on launch day and have loved every minute of it.

So I have learned my lesson,.. keep an open mind, never say 'never',.. or you'll look like a fool.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:33 AM
    Venice, was way better than Priv. Priv is juvenile. It's hard believe that a team of grown ups approved that name . JMO

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 08:31 AM
    Venice, was way better than Priv. Priv is juvenile. It's hard believe that a team of grown ups approved that name . JMO

Posted via CB10
    I know how you feel. At first I thought for me the name was abrasive. Now...I'm kind of liking it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by europolska00; 10-08-15 at 11:24 AM.
    10-08-15 08:57 AM
    Many here love their Passports.... Many here still think they are ugly, over-sized and awkward....

Both groups are right, because we are all different and have different needs, wants and likes. We each are free to pick what we want. But it would be wise not to ignore what other are saying about the PRIV. While you must be one of the "lovers" of the Passport, a year later it's doubtful they have sold even a million of them. So it's possible some of the "hate" that you felt back when the Passport was in development... might have been a good indicator that maybe it wasn't going to be a "popular" device.

As for being BlackBerry Fans..... this is a BlackBerry community. But the company had done things that have pushed many that were once fanatics in to skeptics. And there are still a few here that despise BB10 and are loyal to the "real" BlackBerries
    10-08-15 09:07 AM