Everyone is talking about it. "That's a horrible name. No wonder BlackBerry has floundered. Wait...it runs Android? What the?!?! What is this thing?...Google, find BlackBerry Perv, I mean Priv."

Then they read about and perhaps get it...and it never would have happened if the name didn't get bad press.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:59 PM
    What a horrible argument. The media rips BlackBerry to shreds all the time cause of their idiotic mistakes and it's never once helped them sell phones.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-15 08:02 PM
    I can kinda agree with you, but is bad publicity good publicity? I don't know. I'm not a CEO or marketing guy. Maybe the publicity is a good thing, as people search it out and go Wow! Or, it could backfire and people may stay away from it due to the name itself. I guess only time will tell. Me personally, a Galaxy S6 sounds like a good bet that it's a good phone. A Priv? Reminds me of a **** house, stay away from it. It's really a razors edge on how they market it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-24-15 08:07 PM
    Nope. The phone was already getting a ton of positive press. Now it looks like a joke to many people. It's changed the entire image of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 08:28 PM
    Ask Subway Sandwiches shop about this past Summer's publicity with Jared Fogle. Let me know how they liked that.

Speaking of Jared, he's gonna wanna sneak this phone into his jail cell. Yea, he'll brag, he got himself a BlackBerry Perv!
    09-24-15 08:37 PM
    you are drunk....go home lol
    09-24-15 08:39 PM
    If there's one thing that BlackBerry must have learned, is that the CB members don't amount to anything as far as their profits go.

And even their "70million" user base, most of which are probably in "emerging markets", are not on CB lol

Yea, we're not that relevant.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and AdamThatsIt like this.
    09-24-15 08:41 PM
    So you're saying that bad publicity is good publicity in this case? For a brand as tarnished as BlackBerry I don't think so.
    Last edited by thanasi; 09-25-15 at 08:38 PM.
    09-24-15 08:59 PM
    Well there is the saying no such thing as bad press...

But under these circumstances I would have to disagree with what you are saying for one reason.

BlackBerry isn't in a position to have bad press about a device that is supposed to reintroduce itself into the masses.

It's easy to poke fun of and we all know how well that kinda of marketing has worked out for Samsung in the past for example.

As a stockholder I am pissed about it as this creates another barrier or reason for someone not to buy the device. Remember owning a type of phone is supposed to be cool and different and the name Priv doesn't do that in any way other than bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 09:03 PM
    The name was chosen on purpose so JC can wind down the hardware side once and for all

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    Kody Holt and lift like this.
    09-24-15 09:34 PM
    Hello,

When you're the joke or **** of jokes, the last thing you want is "more press" of that nature. Conventional Wisdom isn't that universal...or really all that wise if you think about it.

KAM
    09-24-15 09:37 PM
    Thanks for everyone's feedback.

This will be Blackberry's best selling phone since the company started to tank. And it may be the phone people 10+ years from now say, "you remember the Priv? Horrible name but it did bring BlackBerry back from the dead."

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 09:06 AM
    Good slogan btw
    Attached Thumbnails Priv is a great name...here's why...-20150915__blackberry_priv__lockup__ol.jpg  
    anon(8908445) and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-25-15 09:17 AM
    Change it to Privileged Privacy

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    09-25-15 09:41 AM
    Oh please... this name SUCKS!

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-25-15 10:29 AM
    "Hold on, let me check my Privilege", is going to lead to some awkward conversations if you ask me.

Maybe it's because I was watching the new South Park the other day, maybe it's because of all the immigration headlines over the last months. But I think referring to your phone as a privilege could lead to some awkward stares from the public because the definition of the word seems to have shifted to something negative.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed | BB Social → C0007CC89
    09-25-15 10:31 AM
    Good slogan btw
    The slogan should be, "the privilege of privacy."

That way it qualifies the word privilege, which can be taken as a negative/stuck up term.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat, ayngling and kbz1960 like this.
    09-25-15 10:40 AM
    The name was chosen on purpose so JC can wind down the hardware side once and for all

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    God I hope there isn't even a hint of truth behind that...why just not make any new handsets besides 2 BlackBerry10 devices every two years and then use the rest of your resources towards software.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:47 AM
    The whole notion that there's no such thing as bad publicity is a humorous fallacy in this instance. It applies only when the object of publicity will have only a transitory effect on the consumer. People will go to cinema to see a bad film because it represents a small discretionary expense in time and coin. But when the object is a phone that will likely cost, at minimum, $299 subsidised or $699 unsubsidised (granted this is not confirmed), and likely be in one's life for at least a year (and probably two or more given the habits of BBRY users), bad publicity is the last thing you want for an upcoming release.

As for the name not mattering, people seem to love bringing up the Wii as a name that was panned yet the device being a stellar product in terms of sales (it was, in fact, the best selling console of that generation by far), it nonetheless represents a salient case in the discussion of the Priv's launch, in that it's successor, the Wii U, had laughingly embarrassing sales and is the clear loser of this generation. The Wii U was viewed as 'more of the same' by the populace at large. Why does this matter, when the Priv doesn't share a name with any other BBRY product? Because it does: BlackBerry. The battle that BBRY needed to win was to have a name that allowed non-BBRY users to disregard the BlackBerry name, which has virtually no brand appeal in general population. Can anyone reasonably state that they managed to do so with 'Priv'? I don't believe they did and, it seems, very few others do either.
    09-25-15 10:49 AM
    Previously posted, but still relevant :

A lot of plans in Business fail because folks haven't the ability to communicate their Vision to others or don't find it necessary. Or they simply lose sight of their real Goal.

The goal is to sell this smartphone, and the folks you're trying to sell it to (in numbers) are expressing that they aren't "Feeling" the name choice.
    Then focus on the goal (to get as many people behind your products) to achieve your Vision to save BlackBerry.
    Marketing said one thing, "but" the buyers are telling you (outright) another. Since your not trying to sell phones to the Marketing Department, how about taking the "free" advice from the consumers.
    Change the name man and sell more phones.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 09-25-15 at 11:06 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-25-15 10:51 AM
    I don't care what they call it as long as it works as claimed. Blackberry Guardian would be a good name though.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:51 AM
    I don't care what they call it as long as it works as claimed. Blackberry Guardian would be a good name though.

Posted via CB10
    They already use that (the Android app scanner).

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:58 AM
    They already use that (the Android app scanner).

Posted via CB10
    Still wouldn't see an issue with that. Better then Priv

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 11:25 AM
    Though think about it in an ad, Introducing the BlackBerry Shield (queue the bugdroid with the shield). How is that not a good marketing strategy for an ad and at an announcement of the phone?

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-25-15 11:26 AM
    Good slogan btw
    Yes if anyone actually knew that. Just seems like they could have figured another word for the same idea
    09-25-15 12:01 PM
30 12