I'm curious whether anyone else has noticed declining GPS performance after the latest Android patches. I'm on a locked AT&T STV1001-1 Priv. After the September update, I noticed slow start & response times in apps using GPS (Google Maps, FlightAware, etc.). Things seem even worse following the October patch (build AAQ-289).

It's mostly just a nuisance, but can sometimes be highly annoying, e.g., when on the freeway, it suddenly places me several blocks from my real position and changes the route. After a minute or two, the location and route correct themselves.

I've tried several restarts, including the 32 second version, but the symptoms continue.

Thanks for suggestions from anyone else who has run into this.
    11-30-17 03:01 PM
    I'm on a STV100-2. Since I downloaded an update about two weeks ago, I haven't had any GPS service. I use Waze a lot and I've had to start driving with my iPad. Tried Google maps - no GPS service. Installed a GPS tools app - no service. Does someone monitor these conversations? Blackberry/Android need to fix this, I'm on the verge of getting a new phone.
    11-30-17 04:52 PM
    I'm on a STV100-2. Since I downloaded an update about two weeks ago, I haven't had any GPS service. I use Waze a lot and I've had to start driving with my iPad. Tried Google maps - no GPS service. Installed a GPS tools app - no service. Does someone monitor these conversations? Blackberry/Android need to fix this, I'm on the verge of getting a new phone.
    Have you checked to make sure your location services are turned on? Things can get wonky on Android. Try a 32 second restart next.
    11-30-17 06:43 PM
    Location services are on high accuracy mode (I'm getting info from he weather app, probably from the cell tower). Restarted the phone a couple times. Reset factory settings to try to get rid of the update (it didn't). Reinstalled Waze twice. Now I'm getting mad again......
    11-30-17 07:20 PM
    Gps has been real bad as of late. I suspect it's from the last update or 2..it was working perfectly but now not so much with waze...so it's not just you.
    sbtpdx likes this.
    12-01-17 06:37 AM
    The GPS on the Priv (also the Z-10 for that matter) has never been very reliable. For the Priv, you can pretty much expect that it will drop GPS every few minutes if you are making it play music while connected with Android Auto.
    12-01-17 06:51 AM
    The GPS on the Priv (also the Z-10 for that matter) has never been very reliable. For the Priv, you can pretty much expect that it will drop GPS every few minutes if you are making it play music while connected with Android Auto.
    Jep. Had exactly this today . Useless device
    12-01-17 01:40 PM
    Actually, my GPS experience on the Priv was very good until the latest updates. FWIW though, I don't normally run anything else when using the nav function.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    12-01-17 08:47 PM
    Ditto about the last update. Waze used to run beautifully on my Priv. No longer. Either the GPS issue you're talking about or it would just lock up.
    12-12-17 04:58 AM
    Ditto about the last update. Waze used to run beautifully on my Priv. No longer. Either the GPS issue you're talking about or it would just lock up.
    Didn't it overheat like crazy with Waze?
    12-12-17 02:41 PM
    I didn't experience overheating. Waze used to run well on my Priv.

I have noticed that Waze added features like voice commands ... being able to say "OK Waze" in the app to give it verbal instructions. This may have added some weight to the app. I'm sure that hasn't helped.
    12-12-17 02:47 PM
    Hi, today I was trying to upgrade my Priv to Android 7, I followed some instructions to do that, when I restart my phone I get a message that says "in an earlier version of Android you deactivated access to your location of all google applications. Do you want to activate it again?"

I think that this is the problem with the gps, but I don't know how to fix it.

This is the link to the YouTube video where I followed the instructions, and after doing it I get that message

Hope you can understand my explanation and what I'm trying to explain.
    Attached Thumbnails Priv GPS issues-23901.jpg  
    12-14-17 06:16 PM
    Good luck trying to upgrade a Priv to Nougat, (android 7) it's not going to work, but maybe you won't brick your phone.
    12-14-17 08:03 PM
    GPS has been intermittent for me over the past month or more, was just fine previously. I even tried a total wipe and reset. Still wonky gps.
    12-29-17 01:58 PM
    I am having trouble with GPS as well. Non-functional would be the best way to describe. I need either Waze or Maps to work or going to have to get a new phone. Any new insight into the problem? Thanks
    03-10-18 08:25 AM
    Any new insight into the problem? Thanks
    Not that I have read... as others have reported, my GPS also started getting wonky last Fall after a Security Patch update. Prior to that it was working normally.

It's hit or miss at best when trying to use GPS on my Priv these days... mostly miss... 😞

Bob
    03-10-18 09:40 AM
    Mine has to be open to the direct sky to work at all. If I set it on my center divider on my vehicle, it says GPS signal lost.

It started sometime last year. There was a couple threads about this. After one update, it started working better, now it is all but worthless
    03-12-18 06:41 PM
    Mine has to be open to the direct sky to work at all.
    Unfortunately even with a clear view of the sky my Priv still won't work consistently... 😢

Bob
    03-12-18 07:38 PM
    Navigation with Priv is definitely a weak point, always has been. Mine works, some minor freezes and lag, but not enough to make much difference in really heavy traffic. It does get hot, and eats the battery up, and i have no heat or battery issues doing anything else. It'll eat battery faster than a (non QC) car charger will charge it.
    Not a big issue for me as I use a Garmin with traffic most of the time. If I were depending on the phone for Nav, I'd either buy a new phone or a dedicated GPS.
    What ever you have now is what you will have going forward, no more Priv updates and I doubt Google Maps or Waze updates will cure whatever ails the Priv.
    03-13-18 07:30 AM
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have never had any GPS or navigation issues with my Verizon Priv. I have high accuracy location settings on 24/7. Always accurate. Just used Google maps almost nonstop from North Carolina to upstate New York last weekend with only 1 glitch. I usually have the phone in a cradle and plugged in to my QC2.0 car charger while navigating. Glitch was that I had not fully charged the phone the night before and the sun was coming through the windshield right at the phone. Caused some overheating and drained the battery which shut the phone off. I just left it on the charger out of the sun for a while. No problem once I had a good charge in the phone. Sun moved. No more overheating.

On another note, I'm using a CD slot cradle which works very well for me. It sits right in front of an A/C vent in my truck which helps tremendously with any heating issues while navigating. However, on this trip I was driving my wife's Honda Accord which doesn't have a vent that blows directly on the cradle in the CD slot. Probably why the glitch mentioned above happened.
    03-13-18 12:55 PM
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have never had any GPS or navigation issues with my Verizon Priv. I have high accuracy location settings on 24/7. Always accurate. Just used Google maps almost nonstop from North Carolina to upstate New York last weekend with only 1 glitch. I usually have the phone in a cradle and plugged in to my QC2.0 car charger while navigating. Glitch was that I had not fully charged the phone the night before and the sun was coming through the windshield right at the phone. Caused some overheating and drained the battery which shut the phone off. I just left it on the charger out of the sun for a while. No problem once I had a good charge in the phone. Sun moved. No more overheating.

On another note, I'm using a CD slot cradle which works very well for me. It sits right in front of an A/C vent in my truck which helps tremendously with any heating issues while navigating. However, on this trip I was driving my wife's Honda Accord which doesn't have a vent that blows directly on the cradle in the CD slot. Probably why the glitch mentioned above happened.
    That's what makes me crazy, the wifes priv works great
    03-17-18 07:53 PM