Half of the people on CB say the Priv is great and the other half says it's bad, I have the option of buying the Priv for 280$ or to buy the Motorola g5 250$ I own a z10 right now but I'd like to switch but for a new BlackBerry. I don't have the money to buy a key one.

So is the Priv really that bad in terms of battery or its okay..
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-18-17 11:41 AM
    I also have the option to get a dtek 50 if it's better than the priv...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-17 11:42 AM
    Graze this forum how to get Priv battery consumption under control and you will be fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-17 11:47 AM
    The main issue with the Priv and DTEK devices are that they're both on Marshmallow so monthly patches will probably stop soon (IIRC Google will only provide them until late 2018).

Monthly patches are a big part of Android security so without it you're kind of screwed if security is a purchasing factor. If this is the case I wouldn't recommend a Moto device either,

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...urity-patches/

The only OEM's that have a good track record for monthly patches are Google, BlackBerry, Nokia, and Essential.
    zruiyin and Kat580 like this.
    11-18-17 11:59 AM
    There biggest threat to your phone's security is the user. I bought a DTEK50 after BlackBerry Link died just over a year ago. I thought it would be a good transition to Android until the KEYone was available. Now the Motion is available here in Canada and I'm still happy with the 50. It's not too big, has two good speakers, and performs reasonably well. The only issue I've had is that with heavy use it might not make it through the day.
    Qorax and zruiyin like this.
    11-18-17 12:33 PM
    don't do it. I just got a keyone and it's way better than the priv. yes the screen may not be as 'good' but that is subjective.

the ketone is so much faster and it doesn't lag. who cares if the PRIV screen is better when you can't use the phone? unless you like looking at a better screen as your phone hangs as it thinks about doing what you asked it to do.

save your $$$ don't bother with the priv.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-18-17 01:49 PM
    I'd say do it. I have a priv and keyone and I use the priv as my daily. I prefer the slider keyboard, and larger screen. Sot has been about 2.5hours. Not terrible.
    Qorax, zruiyin and Rico4you like this.
    11-18-17 01:51 PM
    There biggest threat to your phone's security is the user.
    Good user practices go a long way but even the most security conscious user would have trouble protecting against KRACK, BlueBorne, Stagefright, etc on an unpatched device.
    zruiyin and skinnymike1 like this.
    11-18-17 02:44 PM
    Good user practices go a long way but even the most security conscious user would have trouble protecting against KRACK, BlueBorne, Stagefright, etc on an unpatched device.
    While KRACK is a serious potential threat, the actual risk of being affected by it is still low.
    zruiyin likes this.
    11-18-17 02:55 PM
    So the Priv is not a terrible choice ?

Posted via CB10
    zruiyin likes this.
    11-18-17 04:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, it's not.

It's a great device for the price you can get it today.
    andy957 and zruiyin like this.
    11-18-17 04:41 PM
    While KRACK is a serious potential threat, the actual risk of being affected by it is still low.
    They were just examples but my point is for serious vulnerabilities you'd be reliant on patches, a security conscious consumer wouldn't be able to do much against threats like these. If these are a deal breaker for OP today then I'm sure they will be if similar vulnerabilities are found in 2018 or 2019 (assuming patching is stopped, and that applies to all platforms).

Posted via CB10
    If you're buying for security and updates it's a bad choice at this point IMO. If you like the form factor and don't mind the SOC issues it's not bad for the price. There's a lot to like about the Priv, I think this video from earlier this year sums up the situation pretty well (just keep in mind Nougat was canceled a few weeks ago).

skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-18-17 04:46 PM
    The Priv absolutely can make it through an average day if you do most or all the tips and tricks to get the most out of the battery, including:

-updating to Marshmallow
    -disabling location and Google location tracking
    -disabling wifi and bluetooth scanning when off
    -lowering the resolution to 1080x1920 with adb/fastboot (see tutorials, very easy)
    -power saving mode
    -disable hub
    -disable background processes from unnecessary apps
    -lower animations to 0.5 or 0
    zruiyin and glwerry like this.
    11-19-17 08:26 AM
    The Priv absolutely can make it through an average day if you do most or all the tips and tricks to get the most out of the battery, including:

-updating to Marshmallow
    -disabling location and Google location tracking
    -disabling wifi and bluetooth scanning when off
    -lowering the resolution to 1080x1920 with adb/fastboot (see tutorials, very easy)
    -power saving mode
    -disable hub
    -disable background processes from unnecessary apps
    -lower animations to 0.5 or 0
    Instead of going through all that, there's a much much easier solution. Just turn it off and leave it off.
    zruiyin and MrChiezy like this.
    11-19-17 08:50 AM
    Instead of going through all that, there's a much much easier solution. Just turn it off and leave it off.
    The OP said he wanted a phone, not a paperweight
    11-19-17 09:00 AM
    They were just examples but my point is for serious vulnerabilities you'd be reliant on patches, a security conscious consumer wouldn't be able to do much against threats like these. If these are a deal breaker for OP today then I'm sure they will be if similar vulnerabilities are found in 2018 or 2019 (assuming patching is stopped, and that applies to all platforms).

If you're buying for security and updates it's a bad choice at this point IMO. If you like the form factor and don't mind the SOC issues it's not bad for the price. There's a lot to like about the Priv, I think this video from earlier this year sums up the situation pretty well (just keep in mind Nougat was canceled a few weeks ago).

That is one fantastic video, and for what it is worth today - the Priv* is a fantastic buy too.

*Later models
    11-19-17 09:03 AM
    Yeah.. I want a BlackBerry... not a disabled BlackBerry... so Is the passport still worth it? If not I'd the dtek50 good?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 11:13 AM
    Yeah.. I want a BlackBerry... not a disabled BlackBerry... so Is the passport still worth it? If not I'd the dtek50 good?

Posted via CB10
    Of all the phones you've listed I'd go with the DTEK50; in spite of the dim software future of the DTEKs and Priv, it doesn't have the supernova generator Snapdragon 808 in the Priv, and even if it never gets updated it's still an Android Marshmallow device instead of some stillborn weird niche OS.
    11-19-17 11:49 AM
    Priv is awesome. Still.

Does prettiest much anything any modern phone can do some less efficient less flashy, it can even do facial recognition. It's Android, so it inherently can do more than Apple although that gap appears to be getting smaller.

The life of a BlackBerry is usually double that of an Apple phone which have commonly and stupidly been replaced annually. I dunno. The build quality is excellent,, its a robust phone capable of taking drops. It's a BlackBerry.

We're talking micro seconds here. That's millennial nitpicking. High speed low drag. Rapid response ADD hooked on the matrix concern. Nerds.

Oh yeah, that the prime target consumer. Kids these days. Might be for you, might not.
    zruiyin likes this.
    11-19-17 03:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'd definitely take some time reading through these forums and reading about all of the issues and also the positives people have had to say.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-19-17 04:31 PM
    Priv is still a good device. But I will say that will depend on what you need to do with it. I've heard that it's bad with Google maps. I don't use my handset for GPS purposes, so it doesn't affect me. I like the Priv. As far as battery life... there are ways to make the Priv's battery fairly good. But there again, it all depends on how you use it. It's great for me...but it might not be good for everyone.
    andy957, zruiyin and Qorax like this.
    11-19-17 06:40 PM
    I just got the K1 but am not quite ready yet to throw the PRIV away.

Im going to use the priv as a stand alone email and basic business apps device only. I'm sure it will be really good for that. No google maps, no starbuck App, nothing.

the reason I want to do this is as a consultant, everytime I load a clients email on my phone, they put so many layers of security stuff that once you delete their email, the phone is never the same.

this way, I keep all the IT rules off my phone.

I'm sure the priv will last a long time if I do nothing with it other than email!
    11-19-17 08:24 PM
    bad get the keyone.
    11-20-17 02:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    I would say no to the dtek50 simple because of the awful battery life, I've had mine nearly a week and the battery has drove me insane, if your not a heavy user you might stretch a day but otherwise your going to have to get used to seeing your phone plugged into a wall socket, mine is a 3 times a day charge, reason it's going back!
    11-20-17 02:19 AM
    personally for any money in the world I wouldn't invest on priv. it does have a 2K display but the software will not be upgradeable and performance of the phone is just bad
    11-20-17 02:45 AM
140 123 ...