Any word when or if the Priv (stupid name) will get Android 6 with its app permissions, and updates? This is a phone that screams Android 6.0.
    10-23-15 11:33 AM
    Yes it will. Will it launch with 6.0? probabily not, but sooner or later it will get 6.0 like any other modern android phone
    10-23-15 11:34 AM
    I suspect 6.0 will come rather soon.
    10-23-15 11:49 AM
    Yes it will. Will it launch with 6.0? probabily not, but sooner or later it will get 6.0 like any other modern android phone
    Where have bbry promised this?
    10-23-15 11:59 AM
    I'm testing 6.0 on my Sony Xperia Z3 right now. Works very good and faster than 5.1.1 which I had before.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 12:06 PM
    sooner or later it will get 6.0 like any other modern android phone
    Tell that to my barely year-old '14 Verizon Moto X2
    Adam Frix likes this.
    10-23-15 12:08 PM
    If we all have learnt something from BlackBerry in the past.. is NOT to buy their technology based on promises but get the device only if what is already there is the right thing for you..
    Low expectations, happy life...

P.s.
    I placed and order for the Priv so I am not bashing anyone here.. just trying to be realist

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and dejanh like this.
    10-23-15 12:11 PM
    If we all have learnt something from BlackBerry in the past.. is NOT to buy their technology based on promises but get the device only if what is already there is the right thing for you..

P.s.
    I placed and order for the Priv so I am not bashing anyone here.. just trying to be realist

Posted via CB10
    I'm a big fan of BlackBerry devices, but only newcomers to BlackBerry would even think that any type of update will be prompt. If it happens, it would be an exception and not the norm when looking at BlackBerry's history.

Buy for what it is, not for what it will be. Words of wisdom.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    andy957 likes this.
    10-23-15 12:23 PM
    Leaving Bbry aside - you should never buy tech on the basis of possible maybe updates

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Adam Frix and Sleepy_ER_Dr like this.
    10-23-15 12:24 PM
    Where have bbry promised this?
    in the bible
    10-23-15 12:31 PM
    Tell that to my barely year-old '14 Verizon Moto X2
    First problem you have is "Verizon", that alone makes you wait a lot more for updates. Second, the brand new Nexus devices are just releasing with 6.0. There are a lot newer phone on the market that didn't receive the update either, very few phones have 6.0 at the moment
    10-23-15 12:35 PM
    I would say this is not specific just to BB, but it's valid universaly...
    andy957 likes this.
    10-23-15 12:38 PM
    Any word when or if the Priv (stupid name) will get Android 6 with its app permissions, and updates? This is a phone that screams Android 6.0.
    When the Cubs win the World Series? (Hint: not this year)
    10-23-15 12:38 PM
    I'm a big fan of BlackBerry devices, but only newcomers to BlackBerry would even think that any type of update will be prompt. If it happens, it would be an exception and not the norm when looking at BlackBerry's history.

Buy for what it is, not for what it will be. Words of wisdom.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    Hopefully there is a difference between them pushing out updates for BBM and ones for Android.
    10-23-15 12:44 PM
    First problem you have is "Verizon", that alone makes you wait a lot more for updates...
    Yup, but "unless something changes," Motorola (or Verizon - no one knows who's to blame) left the carrier versions of the Moto X2 behind - they're confirmed as not getting Marshmallow, and it's barely a year-old phone.

Just sayin', as other posters above recommended, plan on never getting Marshmallow - and be delighted if you do
    10-23-15 01:05 PM

P.s.

Posted via CB10
    This right here. 100%.

And it's not a Blackberry thing. It's a technology thing. If it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist until it does exist.

T-Mobile is my carrier. I want their wifi calling. I have it today, on my hundred dollar Windows 8.1 phone. That's because it's a T-Mobile branded phone. That's the only way to get their wifi calling. Unlocked phones can't get it.

Will that change? I believe so, because T-Mo is moving toward an open and emerging standard of a robust wifi calling technology. But until it exists, it doesn't exist.

And regarding Blackberry, I have a Z10--T-Mobile--that is stuck on 10.2. Despite all the talk about every device getting 10.3, my T-Mobile Z10 does not have it and apparently won't get it. So I don't get Blend, which is what I really want. I believe I could install a version of 10.3 onto it, but that would lose me my wifi calling--because there just isn't a T-Mobile version of 10.3, period.

It doesn't exist unless it exists. Promises are but wind in the wind.

I have a good sense of how much effort BB put into securing Android and this phone; it is not a trivial thing, and it won't be trivial for them to keep up with the various Android versions as Google releases them. It may be Android at the core, but BB has done much more than just put a skin onto it like others have done. I question BB's ability and commitment to continuing their efforts in this regard.

With the stroke on a pen signing the death knell of BB hardware (or BB itself), these things could become as obsolete as the BB10 devices are today. Functional as they are, but never moving forward.

And even if T-Mobile carries it, if I have to buy it from the carrier just to get wifi calling, that means I'm stuck with another Z10--because if it comes through the carrier, now the carrier has to approve all updates. That's exactly the situation I'm trying desperately to avoid. I want to take all the middlemen out and have the manufacturer provide me with timely updates.

But just like with my Z10, I have to expect if I buy a Priv today that it will forever be what it is the day it's delivered and turned on, never to be updated in any way, shape, or form. You know what? For $400, I'd probably pull that trigger--just to get the keyboard and the BB toolset on something that can run Google Play apps.

But for $700? For something that I assume will always be stuck on Android 5.1, just as 6 is coming out? No. I'll spend $400 on a Moto X Pure instead and give up the keyboard and the BB toolset, and gain something that will be updated for a decent period of time.

Or I'll spend $700 on an iPhone, and gain other things.

BB is in a tough spot at a tough time. Some of this situation isn't under their control--like t-mo wifi calling. But some of it is. Unfortunately, they'll have to live with the consequences of their past actions as I reason my way through things and ask myself, do I really want to own one of these and use it day to day for a long time? Are the attractive bits of it enough to overcome the very real obstacles?
    10-23-15 03:04 PM
    Yup, but "unless something changes," Motorola (or Verizon - no one knows who's to blame) left the carrier versions of the Moto X2 behind - they're confirmed as not getting Marshmallow, and it's barely a year-old phone.

Just sayin', as other posters above recommended, plan on never getting Marshmallow - and be delighted if you do
    Exactly.

And for the record, your problem is with Verizon. They have to control every bit of software that goes on phones on their network.

This is a problem the unlocked phones are supposed to solve. But alas, even though I can bring an unlocked phone to T-Mobile, it won't get their wifi calling--which is a nice feature to have. Only a t-mobile phone has their wifi calling--but then a t-mobile phone requires that t-mobile control the software that gets pushed to the phone, and that leads to situations like my t-mobile Z10 never going past 10.3.
    10-23-15 03:07 PM
    Hopefully there is a difference between them pushing out updates for BBM and ones for Android.
    I think it's important for anyone and everyone to have a full grasp of exactly what BB has done to the core Android OS, so you can evaluate how much effort it will take for BB to create its version of Android when an update/upgrade comes out.

It's much more likely that, if thing don't go 1000% well for this launch, that this particular phone will never see an update of any kind.
    10-23-15 03:09 PM
    I think it's important for anyone and everyone to have a full grasp of exactly what BB has done to the core Android OS, so you can evaluate how much effort it will take for BB to create its version of Android when an update/upgrade comes out.

It's much more likely that, if thing don't go 1000% well for this launch, that this particular phone will never see an update of any kind.
    I agree, and I don't expect it to update for 6 months or so even if sales are good. But like OP said, Marshmallow is perfect for this phone.
    10-23-15 03:17 PM
    All we know is goodbye autoloaders and leaks!
    10-23-15 03:30 PM
    Hopefully it will. I mean it will be sold in November, so it might be shipped with Android 6.0....which would be just great....
    10-23-15 03:31 PM
    You know what would be awesome? If us early purchasers of the priv get lollipop but once the phone is officially launched, it gets marshmallow
    10-23-15 03:31 PM
    Any updates on 6.0?
    11-29-15 07:34 PM
    Looking forward to 6.0 and the user experience. I may purchase a PRIV once 6.0 drops

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 07:42 PM
    Agreed because with 6.0 DTEK will be a killer app that makes best use of app permissions.

Looking forward to 6.0 and the user experience. I may purchase a PRIV once 6.0 drops

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 07:44 PM
32 12