No Android N for the PRIV? It shouldn't even be that hard to port it over from the KeyOne.
    It's not about difficulty anymore, it's more so they don't want to. BlackBerry just want to drop support for their own devices ASAP it would appear, and this includes the Priv and DTEKs, so they can "focus development on their apps, security and all-new BlackBerry phones from the partners" , which is corporate speak for "**** you, pay me. Priv has no money for us, go buy a KEYone" .

There's no money for them to upgrade old devices that is under their direct support. They don't care about the long term damage they are doing to the brand, because a year and a half later, people will be typing the same thing about the KEYone...
    Uzi and xandros9 like this.
    04-13-17 05:25 AM
    I also just got my notice in email that the beta program is done with (of which I participated in). I never really liked the Priv so this to me was a blessing in disguise. lol

My Priv just broke down last week and TMO close by does not have a replacement so they offered me an LG V10 which I am getting. I will get root on that device and Nougat!

Meanwhile I will also buy the Blackberry keyOne when it is released but right now am using the BB9900 for its keyboard.
    04-13-17 06:45 AM
    If we really don't even get Android N, then the device is really dead. Locked Bootloader, No Root, ok, wasn't a problem for me because BlackBerry promised updates but like this? Why should i spent another 600+ Euro on one of their devices, if they will probably be stopped in being supported after 1 year?
    Uzi and chuckiev79 like this.
    04-13-17 07:29 AM
    Now i know that quality and bug free software from the first time costs big money. Huawei is spending big $, in the leagues of S/W R&D for their devices to match up with Samsung (that works at first attempt and doesn't need a year to optimize ala Priv)
    04-13-17 07:39 AM
    Now i know that quality and bug free software from the first time costs big money. Huawei is spending big $, in the leagues of S/W R&D for their devices to match up with Samsung (that works at first attempt and doesn't need a year to optimize ala Priv)
    In which I question the capital investment, commitment and capacity for BlackBerry to support this, if they can't even get 3 phones right. From a business standpoint it makes sense to drop all existing phones that they support directly. But it's harmful for the brand that they are trying to license to partners.
    04-13-17 07:51 AM
    No Android N for the PRIV? It shouldn't even be that hard to port it over from the KeyOne.

For BlackBerry... no it wouldn't be much of an issue, other than cost.

For an end users.... security would be the issue,
    04-13-17 08:00 AM
    If we really don't even get Android N, then the device is really dead. Locked Bootloader, No Root, ok, wasn't a problem for me because BlackBerry promised updates but like this? Why should i spent another 600+ Euro on one of their devices, if they will probably be stopped in being supported after 1 year?
    How exactly is the device dead? Exaggerating much? For me the only nice thing to have would be the split-screen multitasking, which, let's be honest, I'd probably use once a week, if that much.

Objectively, I really see no relevant difference other than the above. Not that I disagree that a year and a half old device should be supported blablabla, but the average consumer doesn't give a **** about the version of OS on his phone and he's far happier than any of us here. Maybe we should learn something from people like that.
    04-13-17 08:03 AM
    How exactly is the device dead? Exaggerating much? For me the only nice thing to have would be the split-screen multitasking, which, let's be honest, I'd probably use once a week, if that much.

Objectively, I really see no relevant difference other than the above. Not that I disagree that a year and a half old device should be supported blablabla, but the average consumer doesn't give a **** about the version of OS on his phone and he's far happier than any of us here. Maybe we should learn something from people like that.
    The average consumer probably didn't buy this phone either.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    04-13-17 08:16 AM
    The average consumer probably didn't buy this phone either.
    Good point
    04-13-17 08:58 AM
    I guess I'm an average consumer, whatever that is ... and I've got a priv... and I don't have any issues with it.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    04-13-17 09:06 AM
    I guess I'm an average consumer, whatever that is ... and I've got a priv... and I don't have any issues with it.
    Exactly good point..and my PRIV is perfectly fine..and looking forward to the KEYone. Way too much Drama here in some comments..

Posted via CB10
    04-13-17 09:14 AM
    There are some bugs in Android M which are bothering me.
    Like it is not possible to use a VPN connection while in battery saver mode.
    04-13-17 09:32 AM

That logic is why BlackBerry pull this kind of stunt on us. Because people like you accept it and even...... Even defend it!!

I'm having a very hard time believing you're not a BlackBerry fanboy ;-)
    mbirth likes this.
    04-13-17 11:02 AM
    I never got screwed by anyone from above the border before...
    04-13-17 11:44 AM
    That logic is why BlackBerry pull this kind of stunt on us. Because people like you accept it and even...... Even defend it!!

I'm having a very hard time believing you're not a BlackBerry fanboy ;-)
    Who am I defending? I didn't even mention BlackBerry. I'm just saying... OS updates are very overrated. I had a KitKat (4.4) phone from the summer of 2014 until I bought Priv two years later. That phone was never updated to Lollipop, and not once did I run into any app that wouldn't work on it. I would probably have used it for a while longer if it hadn't died.
    The first app that my wife's sister encountered on her Android 4.2 phone that wouldn't work because of the too old OS at that same time (2016, 4 years after Jelly Bean's initial release) was Pokemon Go.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html
    I don't believe many apps at present require newer than Lollipop because it still holds over 30 % of the share. Even KitKat still has 20 %.
    04-13-17 12:00 PM
    If bb10 receives OS 10.4, priv owner will be mad?
    04-13-17 12:18 PM
    Who am I defending? I didn't even mention BlackBerry. I'm just saying... OS updates are very overrated. I had a KitKat (4.4) phone from the summer of 2014 until I bought Priv two years later. That phone was never updated to Lollipop, and not once did I run into any app that wouldn't work on it. I would probably have used it for a while longer if it hadn't died.
    The first app that my wife's sister encountered on her Android 4.2 phone that wouldn't work because of the too old OS at that same time (2016, 4 years after Jelly Bean's initial release) was Pokemon Go.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html
    I don't believe many apps at present require newer than Lollipop because it still holds over 30 % of the share. Even KitKat still has 20 %.
    People don't want the upgrade due to compatibility alone...they want the security enhancements that come with it.

Nougat has fundamental security improvements over Marshmallow.

You've got to remember, BlackBerry kept marketing their products as the most secure on the market. That's their words, not mine.

Not only are their claims untested, but it's simply not true. How do I know this? Look at my priv and my friends nexus 6P. His phone is more secure than mine.

Consider blackberry are now a self proclaimed software company, they really should stop slipping on there updates.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-13-17 12:27 PM
    People don't want the upgrade due to compatibility alone...they want the security enhancements that come with it.

Nougat has fundamental security improvements over Marshmallow.

You've got to remember, BlackBerry kept marketing their products as the most secure on the market. That's their words, not mine.

Not only are their claims untested, but it's simply not true. How do I know this? Look at my priv and my friends nexus 6P. His phone is more secure than mine.

Consider blackberry are now a self proclaimed software company, they really should stop slipping on there updates.
    Ok... Feel free to enlighten us all, which Nougat security features are we talking about, how do they affect you, me, Joe Average; and what will happen if we don't get them?
    04-13-17 12:38 PM
    Not sure how you can say their claims are not true and untested and then say one is more secure than the other in the same sentence. How would you know? You just said their claims are untested lol. Nougat does have more security features built-in it but just because it's there does not always make it more secure if those security features are easily bypassed, never used in the first place by the end users or implemented by developers.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-13-17 12:38 PM
    Ok... Feel free to enlighten us all, which Nougat security features are we talking about, how do they affect you, me, Joe Average; and what will happen if we don't get them?
    Android 7.0: Security benefits that truly matter

^^But that doesn't account for the additional hardening that BlackBerry puts into devices. As for what will happen if you don't have them? Probably nothing.
    04-13-17 12:42 PM
    Android 7.0: Security benefits that truly matter

^^But that doesn't account for the additional hardening that BlackBerry puts into devices. As for what will happen if you don't have them? Probably nothing.
    ^^ That the way I feel about BlackBerry Android in general.

The sad thing is "updates" was one of the big selling points. It was launched at a point just before most phones were being shipped with Marshmallow on them, and for it not to get Nougat which was released less than a year after the PRIV was launched. Doesn't instill much confidence in the "brand".

That said, I expect that PRIV owner are better off without Nougat...
    04-13-17 04:00 PM
    Exactly good point..and my PRIV is perfectly fine..and looking forward to the KEYone. Way too much Drama here in some comments..

Now where would we be without drama? Stop being so positive Rico.
    Posted via CB10
    04-13-17 04:01 PM
    ^^ That the way I feel about BlackBerry Android in general.

The sad thing is "updates" was one of the big selling points. It was launched at a point just before most phones were being shipped with Marshmallow on them, and for it not to get Nougat which was released less than a year after the PRIV was launched. Doesn't instill much confidence in the "brand".

That said, I expect that PRIV owner are better off without Nougat...
    While I understand where this is coming from, it doesn't account for how Google Play Services works. Sure, Nougat adds as a few things to the core, but really, you're still getting more security updates then most on your Priv running Marshmallow. The MAJORITY of security additions DO NOT come from the core OS in Android. They actually come by way of mostly silent updates to Google Play Services and monthly patches.

While not directed at you, the level of ignorance in how Android security actually works in rather astounding. Again, it's not always about being on the latest and greatest version of Android as long as your Google Play Services and Monthly Security patches are in place. If BlackBerry wasn't on par or close to being on par when it comes to the security of the platform, they wouldn't have earned a shout-out from Google and other outlets - http://www.androidcentral.com/best-phone-security
    Mirko935 likes this.
    04-13-17 04:03 PM
    I'm positive and will be positive. Very simple to understand unless your negative.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd and Mirko935 like this.
    04-13-17 04:16 PM
    I'm positive and will be positive. Very simple to understand unless your negative.

Posted via CB10
    I positively understand
    04-13-17 05:02 PM
109 ... 2345