Alright guys, I am debating on what to do. I have dropped my phone twice. The first time it had an unnoticeable crack that I was willing to live with. Second drop was the unfortunate one. A piece of plastic came off the speaker grill, exposing the internals. The screen is overall fine, just a few dings.

I priced the repair for $89, but I bought the phone for $220 new unlocked from eBay in June. I am debating on whether to add $89 on top of it already, or start afresh with a $200 replacement I am sure to find with hopefully better rocker buttons and a better battery because the one I have has a bad volume key and it gets hot with just normal Facebook browsing on the browser.

KEYone is too expensive for me right now, and I actually find the keyboard sleeker/better on the PRIV. But if I bought another replacement chances are there will still be that battery heating issue, shortening the longevity of the phone. This then may be forcing my hand to find a new off-brand phone sans keyboard such as Samsung. I found I could adapt typing on the virtual keyboard on my PRIV so I believe I would adapt rather begrudgingly to other brands. What to do. Suggestions guys?
    09-26-17 11:19 AM
    if it's still usable, I would just deal with it and not repair or replace. At this point, the PRIV is not worth it.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-26-17 11:25 AM
    Thank you, but it is worth it to me. I just absolutely adore the form factor and the thinness of the phone, and I really like the keyboard as well. I just hate that it looks incomplete now with that plastic gone.
    09-26-17 11:29 AM
    Actually to fix it is $139 after coming to the store. Should I? Or just get another one?
    09-26-17 04:46 PM
    Get what you want and be happy. If the Priv is what you want, get another one. If you don't want another Priv, there are plenty of good options out there in the same price range.
    09-26-17 04:49 PM
    I guess I'll just get another one, but are there PRIV models out there that don't have the heating/battery issue? I may be trying Lotto numbers if I want to get another one.
    09-26-17 05:00 PM
    I bought a new 100-3 made in March 2017 and so far I don't see any heat problems. To tell you more, my Passport heats a LOT more when using the GPS plugged to the charger.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-26-17 05:15 PM
    I have the VZW branded PRIV and don't seem to experience the heat & battery drain issues other PRIV users have. It's an STV100-2.

I hear you though... the form factor is the best. I've even thought about buying another PRIV & just throwing it in a drawer.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-26-17 05:17 PM
    I bought a new 100-3 made in March 2017 and so far I don't see any heat problems. To tell you more, my Passport heats a LOT more when using the GPS plugged to the charger.
    Nice. I have the 100-1. Maybe that could be it.
    09-26-17 05:26 PM
    I have a 100-1 and it gets hot as heck. I wonder if the other versions that don't have Wireless charging actually runs cooler.
    09-26-17 06:33 PM
    Same as craig428 above. Verizon Priv with no heat issues. With wireless charging. I use the wireless charger every night.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-26-17 07:11 PM
    Get another one and sell your old one for parts. win win.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-26-17 07:15 PM
    I have a 100-1 and it gets hot as heck. I wonder if the other versions that don't have Wireless charging actually runs cooler.
    I too have the 100-1 and coincidentally it's selling the cheapest out of all the 100- lineup of phones on eBay. Hmmmm.....

Get another one and sell your old one for parts. win win.
    Great! But who on earth is still buying PRIV parts? Where can I sell it to?
    09-26-17 07:36 PM
    at the right price I will get it from you... there is a marketplace here on CB Forums.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-26-17 07:37 PM
    at the right price I will get it from you... there is a marketplace here on CB Forums.
    Noted!!!! I will have you on standby.
    09-26-17 08:17 PM
    Get a new one and save this one for a backup. Always good to have a backup.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-26-17 09:33 PM
    The battery heating is largely a matter of proper configuration and making sure that you have upgraded to Marshmallow.

You said the key thing when you said "while using Facebook". FB is a HUGE battery hog. I have gone so far as to use the mobile web site (m.facebook.com) set as the home screen in Chrome. So, I start Chrome, check my FB and then shut it down again. Otherwise, FB is CONSTANTLY pinging its server and hogging both data and battery. I use WiFi ONLY for updating.

I also turn off animations, screen auto-brightness and location services. The ONLY time that I get heating now is when doing an Android upgrade or upgrading multiple applications.
    09-27-17 10:11 AM
    The battery heating is largely a matter of proper configuration and making sure that you have upgraded to Marshmallow.

You said the key thing when you said "while using Facebook". FB is a HUGE battery hog. I have gone so far as to use the mobile web site (m.facebook.com) set as the home screen in Chrome. So, I start Chrome, check my FB and then shut it down again. Otherwise, FB is CONSTANTLY pinging its server and hogging both data and battery. I use WiFi ONLY for updating.

I also turn off animations, screen auto-brightness and location services. The ONLY time that I get heating now is when doing an Android upgrade or upgrading multiple applications.
    I'm far aware of that. In fact if you read my post more carefully you will see I got the heating issue when I browse Facebook through the browser (in fact it was Chrome, had to switch to another browser (Habit) and it's been serviceable).

I already turned down animations, turned off location services, turned off auto-brightness, etc. I am a heavy user so when I am switching from Textra to Messenger to Whatsapp in a breath of a minute the phone can and will slow down and heat up.
    09-27-17 11:03 AM
    I'm far aware of that. In fact if you read my post more carefully you will see I got the heating issue when I browse Facebook through the browser (in fact it was Chrome, had to switch to another browser (Habit) and it's been serviceable).

I already turned down animations, turned off location services, turned off auto-brightness, etc. I am a heavy user so when I am switching from Textra to Messenger to Whatsapp in a breath of a minute the phone can and will slow down and heat up.
    Sorry, Dude - old guy not paying attention closely enough.

Sounds like you're working her pretty hard.

If you still like the form factor then why not just get another. You may be able to get one of the newer builds that is less prone to heating.

It's like my truck - I love the form factor except at the gas pumps!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-27-17 11:08 AM
    Sorry, Dude - old guy not paying attention closely enough.

Sounds like you're working her pretty hard.

If you still like the form factor then why not just get another. You may be able to get one of the newer builds that is less prone to heating.

It's like my truck - I love the form factor except at the gas pumps!
    It's all good man!
    And I didn't know, I was treating it like I would be doing the same things in BB10. I could switch from a text to going to Whatsapp then hopping on Facebook via browser (and Messenger to a lesser extent) all seamlessly.

I am going to get a newer one, I am hearing good things about the STV100-2 and STV100-3 models. Thanks for the advice and for stopping by!
    09-27-17 11:18 AM
    Get a new one and save this one for a backup. Always good to have a backup.
    Agree, if you break one you may need parts for the new one later. So I would not discard the damaged one .
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-27-17 11:22 AM
    The price of a new Priv is close enough to the repair costs that I'd just buy a new one.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-27-17 02:19 PM
    The price of a new Priv is close enough to the repair costs that I'd just buy a new one.
    Yeah that's what I found out, unfortunately.
    09-27-17 06:23 PM
    If you're looking for slabs, look for Aurora or one of the DTEKs.
    My money's on Aurora, though.
    09-27-17 07:18 PM

Mine is STV100-2 VZW and still on Lollipop with never the heating issues. Most VZW Priv owners I know and based on the forums didn't have the heating when on Lollipop but other carriers' phones might benefit from Marshmallow in that regard.
    09-27-17 07:48 PM
28 12