Using Qualcomm�s Quick Charge 2.0 and a certified charger, the BlackBerry Priv will charge 60% in 30 minutes.

10-29-15 03:52 AM
    Whether that's good for the battery on the long term remains to be seen. My Note Edge also supports quick-charge, yet you can disable that feature with the settings. Even more, it was actually disabled by default and the user needs to enable it first. If there wouldn't be any downsides: Why bother turning it off anyways?

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 04:40 AM
    Is the charger it comes with QC 2.0 certified?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-29-15 05:32 AM
    Using Qualcomm�s Quick Charge 2.0 and a certified charger, the BlackBerry Priv will charge 60% in 30 minutes.

50% in 40min

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdr...s-privacy-mind

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 05:35 AM
    Whether that's good for the battery on the long term remains to be seen. My Note Edge also supports quick-charge, yet you can disable that feature with the settings. Even more, it was actually disabled by default and the user needs to enable it first. If there wouldn't be any downsides: Why bother turning it off anyways?

Posted via CB10
    Done properly it's fine.

You can bulk-charge a battery VERY rapidly without damage. It's when the cell gets into the 70-80% full range that you have to back off or the heating gets out of control and does damage to the cell's life.

This is what QC2.0 does, basically -- allow very rapid charging when the cell's internal resistance is very low, when it is able to accept energy at extremely high rates without damage, then tapering back when it cannot. It required the circuitry to be able to deliver and handle more voltage on the USB port, however, which in turn requires the logic to not do it without the requisite circuitry on the other end (or you'll blow up the device!) because the pins on the USB port cannot handle a current beyond about 2 amps.

This limited you to roughly 10 watts delivered @ 5 volts, but if you can deliver 9 or 12 volts (which QC allows) you can get into the ~30 watt range, which is of course much more energy.
    Brad Morse and Taigatrommel like this.
    10-29-15 06:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    You can always replace the battery later. Replacing a battery in a phone (even the non-removable) is one of the easiest things to do. A LOT easier than changing a screen for example wich is done all the time.
    ghost194 and Paul Ratanaboon like this.
    10-29-15 10:05 AM
    You can always replace the battery later. Replacing a battery in a phone (even the non-removable) is one of the easiest things to do. A LOT easier than changing a screen for example wich is done all the time.
    I'll be honest with you, I'll have this phone for a year.. Year and a half tops.. Well until the Priv 2 is released (if the Priv sells well)
    10-29-15 11:53 PM
    Has anyone tried using a QC charger? I just bought one and I definitely did not get 50% in 30 minutes. It has been maybe an hour and I'm at 51%, with another 1h44 to go until fully charged. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that needs to be activated?
    11-07-15 03:19 PM
    Has anyone tried using a QC charger? I just bought one and I definitely did not get 50% in 30 minutes. It has been maybe an hour and I'm at 51%, with another 1h44 to go until fully charged. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that needs to be activated?
    Let us know? On a Samsung device it's off by default.
    11-07-15 03:24 PM
    I tried the turbo charger from my moto x pure edition and I got more heat than charge. I'm not going to try that again.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Priv
    11-07-15 03:27 PM
    If there's a setting, I'm not finding it. Searching on Android Central, I do see that there is an option for it on some phones, and that it needs to be enabled. Any ideas?
    11-07-15 03:34 PM
    The standard Playbook charger word be able to quick charge the Priv would it not, it is 1.8A. It was usable as a quick charger for the Torch.

11-07-15 03:56 PM
    The standard Playbook charger word be able to quick charge the Priv would it not, it is 1.8A. It was usable as a quick charger for the Torch.

That's just the usual USB voltage, but at a higher amperage, so definitely faster, but the Quick Charge standard allows for even higher voltages for much faster charging. 9v and 12v for example. That's my (limited) understanding in any case.
    11-07-15 03:58 PM
    I was told that the quick charging only works on the devices that have the wireless charging, so us Canadians that have the STV100-3 model from the carriers wouldn't have that feature. Does any one know of that's true that it's tied into wireless charging

11-07-15 05:31 PM
    I was told that the quick charging only works on the devices that have the wireless charging, so us Canadians that have the STV100-3 model from the carriers wouldn't have that feature. Does any one know of that's true that it's tied into wireless charging

I have the 3. It shows the Qualcomm quick charge logo on the box, so it should be supported. Do I need a special USB cable for it to work?
    11-07-15 10:41 PM
    I have the 3. It shows the Qualcomm quick charge logo on the box, so it should be supported. Do I need a special USB cable for it to work?
    I'm not sure lol I've never had a quick charge device before i hope my Priv has it

11-08-15 08:35 AM
    The USB cable must have all wires connected. Some "charging" cables do not; they only have the power wires hooked up, and if so QC will not work (you'll just get regular charge rates.)
    11-08-15 09:22 AM
    The USB cable must have all wires connected. Some "charging" cables do not; they only have the power wires hooked up, and if so QC will not work (you'll just get regular charge rates.)
    Hmm, maybe this is it then. Though I am using the cable that came with the phone. How can I know if the cable has all wires connected?

Just for general information I will attach a photo on the charger box and the back of the BlackBerry box which shows quick charge support. (STV100-3)
    Attached Thumbnails Priv can charge 60% in 30 minutes-1447001522156.jpg  
    11-08-15 10:52 AM
    Used one of my girlfriends charger, and on her phone a message pops up saying fast charge enabled. Yet on my Priv nothing pops up so maybe our model doesn't have quick charge

11-08-15 11:20 AM
    Music -- that should work. Try a different cable though -- QC communicates with the phone and does not shift the power pins to the higher voltage until and unless it is able to do so. If it did it would smoke non-QC enabled devices.
    MusicMtl likes this.
    11-08-15 11:29 AM
    That was it - the cable. Bought a new high quality cable and quick charge is definitely working. Going to have full charge in about 90 minutes or so.
    11-08-15 05:20 PM
    Also, note that there was no popup confirming quick charge was active. But it's obvious from the charging speed.
    11-08-15 05:20 PM