Hi all
    I really appreciate the presence of BlackBerry employees and the information they gave us on various topics, here in the forum.

Relating the camera start-up time, I wonder why it takes so long for the camera to start up. Can you give a detailed explanation ?

Thank you in advance

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-06-16 10:03 PM
    Define long? Mine loads in like 2 seconds.
    What OS version are you on?

06-07-16 02:31 AM
    Agreed on 2 sec from double tap on power button. My brother's s7 launch the camera app and take 3 pictures in that time frame

06-07-16 04:47 AM
    Agreed on 2 sec from double tap on power button. My brother's s7 launch the camera app and take 3 pictures in that time frame

Imo 2 seconds is nothing to complain about.. but if this is already crucial for you, then I guess a s7 rather fits you

Posted via the Priv running 'the Google'
    06-07-16 06:27 AM
    I'm not saying the Priv is too slow, I am just wondering if sncv can provide some details to the launch process of the Priv (as he did to numerous thread already)

06-07-16 09:43 AM
    When I try it, I'm seeing about 1.4 - 1.5 seconds from the end of the double-tap power gesture to the viewfinder being active.
    After waking from sleep (which could take longer depending on if the device has gone into a low power mode), the app has to be launched (which takes a little bit of time.. I see an animation there too which seems to take some time), then the camera hardware takes about 750ms to power up, then you need about 3 or 4 frames to fill the preview pipeline, and another 3-5 frames for exposure to converge.

I don't think we've profiled the entire process to understand where optimization can happen yet. The double-tap gesture is an Android M feature, so there could be some overhead in the Google Framework. On BB10 we would have been able to optimize further since we owned all the code. If Samsung is launching quicker, it's possible that they have made some nonstandard optimizations like keeping the app in memory always, etc.
    06-07-16 11:42 AM
    I turn off animation in developer mode ..feel faster for anything
    06-07-16 11:43 AM

Not the fastest ≠ slow

well, you're comparing to one of the fastest (if not the fastest) camera to launch. Priv's launch camera is well withing the average smartphone for the loading time.

But saying that it isn't as fast as the S7, is like saying that whatever car you have isn't as fast as the bugatti chiron.

Not the fastest ≠ slow
    06-07-16 12:56 PM
    I turn off animation in developer mode ..feel faster for anything
    Thanks. I have done it on my device .
    06-07-16 01:12 PM
    In my opinion, you could choose "do not optimize" for BB Camera app in Battery Optimization setting. It shall put the app into Doze mode, I think.
    06-08-16 10:56 PM
    I turned the animations to the .5x setting and it does make the device feel faster but that does not mean it actually is faster.

06-09-16 01:34 AM
    If Samsung is launching quicker, it's possible that they have made some nonstandard optimizations like keeping the app in memory always, etc.
    I don't mind putting the camera app always in memory so I can launch it immediately. Could you introduce that feature and let user have a switch on it? After all, the Hub is already always on, and I don't think the 3GB ram of the Priv can't handle another app.
    smcv likes this.
    08-17-16 12:23 AM