I rebooted a Priv at a store (no password) and it was really quick. But then I saw this (skip to 6:50):

The demo model I rebooted was done by the time it asks for the pattern lock in this video. Why does his take so much longer after the pattern lock screen? Is this the normal boot time for the Priv?

Note: If you're too lazy to watch the part of the video showing the boot time, it takes a solid 2 minutes.

I've been watching lots of videos about the Priv and I'm really having a hard time waiting for a price drop to pick one up. In the meantime, I have to ask all of you guys for your input on these things.
    12-18-15 02:40 PM
    It takes around three minutes to boot my priv which I do daily.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-18-15 02:49 PM
    Once you buy (and you will buy) set your phone to developer mode. Shaves a bit of time off the bootup.

It's not bothered me enough to time it as mine boots up fast enough that I'm not twitching like i did my Z30

Posted via Priv
    STV100-3
    12-18-15 05:05 PM
    It takes around three minutes to boot my priv which I do daily.
    Daily? Do you feel like you need to reboot the Priv daily?

Once you buy (and you will buy) set your phone to developer mode. Shaves a bit of time off the bootup.

It's not bothered me enough to time it as mine boots up fast enough that I'm not twitching like i did my Z30

Posted via Priv
    STV100-3
    Hmm, why would developer mode shorten the boot up time? The Z30 used to have a long boot up time but with the latest OS it's decently fast.
    12-19-15 12:24 AM
    I was going to say... pretty sure my Z10 can do a two minute boot. I hope the Priv doesn't take 3....

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 01:29 AM
    Android has an option to require the phone to be unlocked prior to the OS loading. This prevents the device from turning on and having third party apps etc running which could compromise data, without the pin/pattern being entered first. When the setting is enabled, the unlock screen is presented after the firmware loads up but before the Android OS itself does. That would probably explain why the OS appears to continue loading with the animation after it's unlocked.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    12-19-15 01:55 AM
    Android has an option to require the phone to be unlocked prior to the OS loading. This prevents the device from turning on and having third party apps etc running which could compromise data, without the pin/pattern being entered first. When the setting is enabled, the unlock screen is presented after the firmware loads up but before the Android OS itself does. That would probably explain why the OS appears to continue loading with the animation after it's unlocked.
    Thanks, is that an option that's configurable on the Priv? It sounds like with the required encryption coming with Marshmallow that it would no longer be configurable. Not that I'd disable it or anything...
    12-20-15 12:05 PM
    Thanks, is that an option that's configurable on the Priv? It sounds like with the required encryption coming with Marshmallow that it would no longer be configurable. Not that I'd disable it or anything...
    Yes, if you go to Settings -> Security -> Screen Lock and choose PIN or Pattern, the next screen will ask you if you want to require the PIN/pattern before starting up.
    12-20-15 12:53 PM
    @xtremesniper.....

Boot up for developer mode on mine is consistent at 51 seconds.
    Dev mode off is consistent at 58 seconds.

I can only surmise that it's because of the extra animations used by normal mode.

Posted via Priv
    STV100-3
    meltbox360 and xtremesniper like this.
    12-20-15 05:38 PM
    It boots faster than my Passport....
    12-20-15 07:35 PM
    Anyone that came from the era of bb7 will know that the startup time of priv is already lighting speed hahah

Posted via CB10
    lexsteryo likes this.
    12-20-15 08:05 PM
    It boots faster than my Passport....
    I just did the hard reset on my Passport, from initial blackberry text to home screen it was 46 secs, and I kept counting until hub was loaded and that ended up at 62sec total

I think they have been working hard on the boot time and a good processor seems to help that a lot

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-20-15 08:26 PM
    Got my Priv this afternoon and it takes ~30s to boot up (fully updated but nothing installed yet).

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 09:15 PM
    Thanks for the responses. I'm wondering what's making the Priv bootup time so long for the guy in the video... Encryption is on for everyone, so that shouldn't be the difference maker.
    12-21-15 08:37 AM