P.S.

A prequel to the video quoted above.

09-26-15 09:33 AM
    Actually, this is just a case of someone that hasn't gotten used to the device's touch screen.

It's clear he first hits the menu/circle button (which you're supposed to hold down to get the three orb short cut to pop up,.. then he sort of barely misses the Chrome icon, then finally he actually taps the chrome icon properly and it opens very quickly. I would say it's less of a lag issue, more of a touch screen sensitivity issue.

Posted via CB10
    as a person that's very familiar with Android, I look at it just like an "Androidness", he didn't miss the chrome logo at all, you can see in the video, it only opened at the 4th tap, can't miss 3 times in a row cant you?.
    He touched the Home key, then the phone got kind stuck in the home key as you can see by the blue shadow around it... And because of that the Chrome didn't open. That's just the usual lag/stutter that everybody talks about, that for example you rarely see in a iPhone.

I love the Priv, i'm getting one at launch, and I'm happy to see Blackberry taking Android, but Android is like this, good out of the box, after a few months, and a few apps install, it starts to slow down and become a bit clunky (like the old windows XP). Surely newer releases and monster specs have been making up for it, and you don't see those problems very often, but they are still there.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-26-15 10:35 AM
    This was awkward to watch. Great phone though, I want one. I hope they are going to make a smaller version though.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-26-15 11:16 AM
    as a person that's very familiar with Android, I look at it just like an "Androidness", he didn't miss the chrome logo at all, you can see in the video, it only opened at the 4th tap, can't miss 3 times in a row cant you?.
    He touched the Home key, then the phone got kind stuck in the home key as you can see by the blue shadow around it... And because of that the Chrome didn't open. That's just the usual lag/stutter that everybody talks about, that for example you rarely see in a iPhone.

I love the Priv, i'm getting one at launch, and I'm happy to see Blackberry taking Android, but Android is like this, good out of the box, after a few months, and a few apps install, it starts to slow down and become a bit clunky (like the old windows XP). Surely newer releases and monster specs have been making up for it, and you don't see those problems very often, but they are still there.
    Maybe, but definitely some user touch screen mishandling there. Happens to my wife on her Passport too sometimes, then I tap on it and it works on the first try.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 11:36 AM
    Maybe, but definitely some user touch screen mishandling there. Happens to my wife on her Passport too sometimes, then I tap on it and it works on the first try.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 also has unresponsiveness problems sometimes.

Like the now "classic bug" where when you close an app, it takes a couple of seconds until it lets you scroll to the apps page again. I'm running the latest OS and it still does that.

here but doing it fast:
    09-26-15 11:54 AM

Like the now "classic bug" where when you close an app, it takes a couple of seconds until it lets you scroll to the apps page again. I'm running the latest OS and it still does that.

here but doing it fast:
    Ah.. so BlackBerry is just keeping things consistent. Nice.

Lol

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-26-15 11:59 AM
    Actually, this is just a case of someone that hasn't gotten used to the device's touch screen.

It's clear he first hits the menu/circle button (which you're supposed to hold down to get the three orb short cut to pop up,.. then he sort of barely misses the Chrome icon, then finally he actually taps the chrome icon properly and it opens very quickly. I would say it's less of a lag issue, more of a touch screen sensitivity issue.

Posted via CB10
    I actually think the perceived chrome lag could have been that this was the first time Chrome had been launched on that demo unit. He said he hadn't set it up yet, even. You can see the setup screen.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-26-15 01:10 PM
    I actually think the perceived chrome lag could have been that this was the first time Chrome had been launched on that demo unit. He said he hadn't set it up yet, even. You can see the setup screen.

Posted via CB10
    excuses excuses.
    09-26-15 01:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    it can and cannot be who knows. But at least it's a platform that we know that will be in constant development, and this kind of optimization issues tend to go with time. Android still isn't as smooth and reliable as iOS, but it has been improving a lot compared to how it was 2 or 3 years ago, it can only get even better with time
    09-26-15 02:03 PM
    It does indeed on the home screens and sometimes when peeking while using certain apps. One thing I noticed after moving back to android is that I can swipe very fast between the home screens
    09-26-15 04:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    This could be the reason just like when you restart a phone, apps take a second or so to launch the first time you open them. The reason is a cache miss the first time, after that when you open an app it is a cach hit which results in a much faster action since the app is already loaded in the ram. Happens on all phones including BB10.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    09-26-15 05:07 PM
    What did he use before he came to BlackBerry? iPhone?
    He still does probably.
    09-26-15 06:42 PM
    Please get that phone out of his hands. The man looks clueless lol.

Posted via CB10
    That's for sure: why didn't BlackBerry hire an actor to do a proper demo?? Chen keeps trying to swipe up on the device as if it's a BB10 device, showing he's clueless about Android...

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    09-26-15 06:50 PM
    That's for sure: why didn't BlackBerry hire an actor to do a proper demo?? Chen keeps trying to swipe up on the device as if it's a BB10 device, showing he's clueless about Android...

Posted using my BlackBerry Stainless Steel Passport SE (and I also have the BlackBerry Z30).
    He is clueless about Android... what's wrong with being who you are?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-26-15 07:28 PM
    This could be the reason just like when you restart a phone, apps take a second or so to launch the first time you open them. The reason is a cache miss the first time, after that when you open an app it is a cach hit which results in a much faster action since the app is already loaded in the ram. Happens on all phones including BB10.
    Oh very good, a more informed explanation. I'd say I was pretty close.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 09:16 PM
    excuses excuses.
    The hurt is strong in this one..

Posted via V400.
    09-26-15 09:35 PM
    The hurt is strong in this one..

Posted via V400.
    if i was so hurt, wouldn't i just give in and get the android? at this point it's pure entertainment this forum.
    09-26-15 10:17 PM
    What is everyone talking about gestures for?

Chen clearly taps on Chrome and it takes a while to load. Should have gone with the Android stock browser.
    Chen tried to swipe up from the bottom to make Chrome an Active Frame at around 0:40. It's pretty easy to spot if you use BB10 on a regular basis.
    extisis and Plazmic Flame like this.
    09-27-15 01:37 AM
    What did he use before he came to BlackBerry? iPhone?
    Most likely a Bold, which was probably one of the impetus for the Classic.
    09-27-15 01:39 AM
    Android is like this, good out of the box, after a few months, and a few apps install, it starts to slow down and become a bit clunky (like the old windows XP). Surely newer releases and monster specs have been making up for it, and you don't see those problems very often, but they are still there.
    Interestingly, a friend who uses Android mentioned this about his tablet and phone... fast at first, then progressively slow over time. I did a bit of reading and there were hypotheses that it was due to the file system not being optimized for flash type memory, however, that was added in more recent versions of Android...
    09-27-15 01:48 AM
    Interestingly, a friend who uses Android mentioned this about his tablet and phone... fast at first, then progressively slow over time. I did a bit of reading and there were hypotheses that it was due to the file system not being optimized for flash type memory, however, that was added in more recent versions of Android...
    I'm not sure what causes it. I think the fact tha android is so "open" allows the apps to dig deeper in the OS and make more stuff in the background, and even when you unistall some apps, they leave some trash leftovers in the OS. That happened a lot on the Windows XP. But Microsoft launched windows 7, this problem was greatly reduced, you didn't have to format your PC every year for it to remain reasonably quick, and Android is going in the same direction, it's a lot better than it used to be.

But sometimes I pick some 100$-150$ Android phones "well worn", and they are cluncky as hell because of the lower specs. A old iphone 4, still works pretty well today for what it is in comparison.
    09-27-15 11:05 AM
    The device should have been preconfigured.
    John Chen should have been tutored on how to demo the unit.
    Not just know how to run it but how to demo it.

What a *hit show!
    kbz1960, andy957, extisis and 1 others like this.
    09-27-15 11:24 AM
    Love John, up front and honest. Maybe BlackBerry would do well with a front woman! A nice change from iPhone. Always a guy on stage....

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-27-15 01:22 PM
    I'm not sure what causes it. I think the fact tha android is so "open" allows the apps to dig deeper in the OS and make more stuff in the background, and even when you unistall some apps, they leave some trash leftovers in the OS. That happened a lot on the Windows XP. But Microsoft launched windows 7, this problem was greatly reduced, you didn't have to format your PC every year for it to remain reasonably quick, and Android is going in the same direction, it's a lot better than it used to be.

But sometimes I pick some 100$-150$ Android phones "well worn", and they are cluncky as hell because of the lower specs. A old iphone 4, still works pretty well today for what it is in comparison.
    Here's the citation about not supporting flash memory causing the problem:

Google slips TRIM support into Android 4.3 to end I/O lag | ExtremeTech
    09-28-15 02:35 AM
    Here's the citation about not supporting flash memory causing the problem:

Google slips TRIM support into Android 4.3 to end I/O lag | ExtremeTech
    That's a cool article, thanks for sharing. That might contribute to lag, but surely isn't the whole cause of the problem, because lolipop has lag/stutterting/crash issues aswell.
    09-28-15 10:31 AM
102 ... 2345