Since introduction of BB Priv, I as a Passport user have asked myself whether I should purchase the Priv as my next device. I mean I have always had a soft spot for these devices since my Bold 9000 back in the day. Sure I could order the Priv, but before doing that I need to know whether BlackBerry is going to be around to support this device all the way. That includes regular OS and security updates for the coming two years, i.e. late 2017. Chen has said he'll retire their hardware production in 2016 would there be no profits. We know Android device manufacturers barely generate any profit. What does that mean for BlackBerry with its already constrained situation? And more importantly, what does it mean for me as the customer? Purchasing the Priv as a BB fan (fanatic) is a no brainer. Purchasing it as a rational consumer is a whole different story. I wonder how others' reasoning go?
    11-09-15 06:39 AM
    I just posted that I am returning my Priv to return to the Passport. If you are a high efficiency person who loves the Passport for that reason, you definitely have to think twice. It will take a few weeks to get anywhere close to the efficiency of the Passport and there are significant omissions (can do attachments except from Google drive) that might come later to the Priv

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-09-15 07:03 AM
    Chen has said he has a serial of other smartphones to come. Look like he is confident in the success of the Priv. I'm not. But at least he made me believe that he won't give up even if Priv fails.

edit: And I believe, partially because I want to believe.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    11-09-15 07:13 AM
    These are my concerns as well. If I jump off the deep end and drop premium coin, I would hope that company will still be around to support it for at least a full year (before I start lusting after another device. Lol)

I think they have potential to be another solid OEM in the world of Android. But right now, is that going to be enough to save them? While I do think it's a great idea and Priv has potential, but is it too late?
    11-09-15 07:33 AM
    I just posted that I am returning my Priv to return to the Passport. If you are a high efficiency person who loves the Passport for that reason, you definitely have to think twice. It will take a few weeks to get anywhere close to the efficiency of the Passport and there are significant omissions (can do attachments except from Google drive) that might come later to the Priv

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure you are mistaken about only being able to attach from Google Drive. All of the Android devices I have allows me to select from any app that has files; file manager, Docs, Slides, Dropbox, One Drive, Photos, etc.
    11-09-15 07:37 AM
    Since introduction of BB Priv, I as a Passport user have asked myself whether I should purchase the Priv as my next device. I mean I have always had a soft spot for these devices since my Bold 9000 back in the day. Sure I could order the Priv, but before doing that I need to know whether BlackBerry is going to be around to support this device all the way. That includes regular OS and security updates for the coming two years, i.e. late 2017. Chen has said he'll retire their hardware production in 2016 would there be no profits. We know Android device manufacturers barely generate any profit. What does that mean for BlackBerry with its already constrained situation? And more importantly, what does it mean for me as the customer? Purchasing the Priv as a BB fan (fanatic) is a no brainer. Purchasing it as a rational consumer is a whole different story. I wonder how others' reasoning go?
    Good question! I've been following a lot of the insider blogs as well ND a lot of people are wondering about this but I don't think Chen is ready yet to drop the handset business quite yet as they are the OLY handset provider with patented key boarded devices and those patents are super expensive.
    I too am also a BlackBerry fanboy and partly I bought the device to show my consumer support for BlackBerry. I simply love this device and now with the full android runtime and has filled the app gap for me. The BlackBerry touches baked into this device is really something else and really makes the android experience a whole lot better as I am not a fan of current android devices like Samsung. The typing experience with the capacitive key board is bar none and no other device compares. I think the launch of the PRIV is a huge game changer for BlackBerry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Quorist likes this.
    11-09-15 07:46 AM

Personally, I'm so tired of reading the "Priv could be Blackberry's last smartphone" headline in the news.

Chen has said for a long time... even before the Priv was rumored... that if the smartphone business doesn't prove to be profitable, they will back out.

You said that you're waiting to see if Blackberry is going to be around before you purchase a Priv... so problem solved, isn't it? Enjoy the wait. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy this new Priv experience.
    11-09-15 08:07 AM
    I know. Chen says they are building phones forever but these paid actors keep coming here asking market manipulation questions.

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    11-09-15 08:34 AM
    If it's successful, it will not be their last.

If it's unsuccessful, they broke down BB10 development too far to recover. And they don't have the staff to stabilize the priv further.

My advice? Don't buy unless it's successful. Too much risk of ending up with a buggy alpha device and no support - they have a bad history for early adopters (playbook for example). It's brutal expensive where I am so I'd pass on this gadget for now... but watch it closely.

If they are proud of the device, they will release sales numbers and announce a second device.

If it does mediocre they won't announce the sales but speculate on future device building.

If it does bad, we'll, they will probably still not announce sales and pretend they are building future devices... while firing staff internally and closing repo's.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    ankitchahal and mset like this.
    11-09-15 10:01 AM
    Yes it is. Very sad to see them struggle.
    11-09-15 10:16 AM
    If it's successful, it will not be their last.

If it's unsuccessful, they broke down BB10 development too far to recover. And they don't have the staff to stabilize the priv further.

My advice? Don't buy unless it's successful. Too much risk of ending up with a buggy alpha device and no support - they have a bad history for early adopters (playbook for example). It's brutal expensive where I am so I'd pass on this gadget for now... but watch it closely.

If they are proud of the device, they will release sales numbers and announce a second device.

If it does mediocre they won't announce the sales but speculate on future device building.

If it does bad, we'll, they will probably still not announce sales and pretend they are building future devices... while firing staff internally and closing repo's.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    You nailed it. Spot on.
    KermEd likes this.
    11-09-15 10:53 AM