If the product is not available to sell, why would they do any marketing. Get serious. The V10 is about to be released so therefore yah they are going to the market it.. The Priv is still 1-1/2 months away from release. So when it's launched it will be ready to go with adds, and marketing., and carriers support. The best approach is to slowly leak images and info to keep people intrigued., Then on launch day go all out. As some people have mentioned, price will be crucial. Nothing is more of a let down, than a lot of hype, and glitzy commercials, then they say $2000 please. It seem to me that there are some people that should be banned from this site. The new Priv is not yet released, no one has tried one, and already they are bashing it. Also It's not the average persons job to do the marketing, leave it up to the company. If you don't like the phone even though you haven't tried it yet then don't buy it, and go to some other site to spew your BS. If you think that your entitled to opinion, yes you are, but the problem is that all these trolls criticizing is making this site not very pleasant any more.
    A struggling company like Blackberry needs every boost it can get from marketing and advertising. There is no such thing as too soon. Other companies can get away with is as they have done their homework and they know what it takes for a successful launch. Apparently, BB has not learned this yet
    10-03-15 05:45 PM
    The vast majority of people buy or contract a phone on whim, aesthetic look and feel of a phone usually wins out over productivity or functionality. I like the idea of blackberry phone sporting android but with blackberry functionality built in. The priv however is one chubster of a phone, plus it's a slider. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 05:56 PM
    I compare BlackBerry to rolls royce and Bentley. you don't see those car manufacturers advertising right, but everyone else has to.

Posted via CB10
    Someone else posted Bentley.

Here is Rolls Royce:

And...

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    extisis likes this.
    10-03-15 06:01 PM
    If the product is not available to sell, why would they do any marketing. Get serious. The V10 is about to be released so therefore yah they are going to the market it.. The Priv is still 1-1/2 months away from release. So when it's launched it will be ready to go with adds, and marketing., and carriers support. The best approach is to slowly leak images and info to keep people intrigued., Then on launch day go all out. As some people have mentioned, price will be crucial. Nothing is more of a let down, than a lot of hype, and glitzy commercials, then they say $2000 please. It seem to me that there are some people that should be banned from this site. The new Priv is not yet released, no one has tried one, and already they are bashing it. Also It's not the average persons job to do the marketing, leave it up to the company. If you don't like the phone even though you haven't tried it yet then don't buy it, and go to some other site to spew your BS. If you think that your entitled to opinion, yes you are, but the problem is that all these trolls criticizing is making this site not very pleasant any more.
    Ummmmm... you can still market a product that isn't released yet. You put the official release date at the end of the commercial to get folks interested in it to build some hype.

The fact that this phone is supposedly coming out this fall but has no official release date yet is beyond me.
    10-03-15 07:05 PM
    I'm convinced BlackBerry doesn't want to build phones anymore. It's goal is software only. That's why they refuse to market the phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 07:23 PM
    Someone's very bitter......
    Yes there are quite a few of us VERY bitter at Chairman Chen for driving BlackBerry straight into the ground... when it could have been so very different with just a bit of CEO-men-ship.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    10-03-15 07:37 PM
    If BlackBerry would take aspects of this ad:

And this ad:

As well as highlighting Story Maker, BBM and the HUB, tweak the camera, video and music players functionality and UI. Everyone would be playing "catch up to BlackBerry" again!

What do you think?

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.2.2639 on AT&T
    10-03-15 07:46 PM
    Just not enough apps in the BB10 ecosystem to make the devices useful.
    10-03-15 09:18 PM
    IMHO - I believe even if Priv is successful, that Chen will dump the handset business anyway so he can focus resources on MDM - and the end goal for that is to sell the company once he has established at least baseline revenue and presence in the MDM space.

For this reason - in spite of being a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and even though the Priv is quite appealing - I will be moving to another hardware platform. I am not excited to spend $800 on a Priv, and then have it turn out to be non- supported hardware and/or poor OS support because BlackBerry has bailed out of the device business.

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    10-03-15 09:19 PM
    IMHO - I believe even if Priv is successful, that Chen will dump the handset business anyway so he can focus resources on MDM - and the end goal for that is to sell the company once he has established at least baseline revenue and presence in the MDM space.

For this reason - in spite of being a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and even though the Priv is quite appealing - I will be moving to another hardware platform. I am not excited to spend $800 on a Priv, and then have it turn out to be non- supported hardware and/or poor OS support because BlackBerry has bailed out of the device business.

While I absolutely love my Passport, and think that BB10 is the best OS going, I am already looking around for options if BlackBerry go down the tubes, or they stop supporting BB10 phones and start pushing Android handsets, which I think is a very realistic possibility if the new Priv phone succeeds. However, like you, I am not willing to drop $800 on an Android device, not when I can get a Samsung or Motorola device for just a little more than half the price.

At least BBM is firmly entrenched enough that I could get an Android phone from another maker and still have a relatively functional communications platform and get a better camera into the bargain. Mind you, I'd miss BlackBerry's Hub feature, which further simplifies
    communicating with others. I'd also miss the rock-solid BB10 OS and excellent build quality of BlackBerry phones.
    10-03-15 11:45 PM
    What does it matter if LG has a nice commercial? Blackberry has something every other platform doesn't

1. Security
    2. Productivity
    3. A Kick A** Keyboard

Z10
    This would actually make for a good commercial lol

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 12:26 AM
    This would actually make for a good commercial lol

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but it assumes that #2 is only something you can achieve on a BlackBerry, which isn't true. It's just something that other OEM's don't advertise.
    10-04-15 10:26 AM
    Yeah, but it assumes that #2 is only something you can achieve on a BlackBerry, which isn't true. It's just something that other OEM's don't advertise.
    So what it's marketing. The iphone also assumes it's the most innovative device on the market.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 04:42 PM
    Pre-Orders, duh !!
    don't understand Crazy Mazy's post. everyone console since the PS1 has had extensive marketing well before it's release date. More particularly they are commercials to reveal the release date. So the real question is, why WOULDN'T you do any marketing before the product is available to sell? Oh right, because this is BBRY. That's why.
    10-04-15 10:23 PM
    don't understand Crazy Mazy's post. everyone console since the PS1 has had extensive marketing well before it's release date. More particularly they are commercials to reveal the release date. So the real question is, why WOULDN'T you do any marketing before the product is available to sell? Oh right, because this is BBRY. That's why.
    I truly don't get it.

Probably the device is no where near ready.
    10-04-15 11:21 PM
    If BlackBerry would take aspects of this ad:

And this ad:

As well as highlighting Story Maker, BBM and the HUB, tweak the camera, video and music players functionality and UI. Everyone would be playing "catch up to BlackBerry" again!

What do you think?

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.2.2639 on AT&T
    agreed. but too late.
    10-04-15 11:29 PM
    I'm convinced BlackBerry doesn't want to build phones anymore. It's goal is software only. That's why they refuse to market the phones.

Posted via CB10
    So they produce a device with someone else's software.... blackberry is fired
    10-05-15 09:22 PM
    So BlackBerry security is alleged to be etched in the hardware... so if they don't make the hardware anymore, then it becomes software which can ALWAYS be hacked by some high school kids with an unlimited supply of cokes & cheetoes & plenny'a time on good hardware... the BlackBerry experts of the future !!
    10-05-15 09:30 PM
    Just not enough apps in the BB10 ecosystem to make the devices useful.
    This app thing needs to die out. Why are apps more popular than Web? With mobile Internet speeds and availability as it is today there is less need to have installed apps. In the beginning it was to allow a faster and more polished experience over Web. now it's a backwards fad that won't die because it's so profitable. Certain things are better as apps such as games social message tools, but there is no reason for banks and insurance companies to use apps.
    10-05-15 09:36 PM
    This app thing needs to die out. Why are apps more popular than Web? With mobile Internet speeds and availability as it is today there is less need to have installed apps. In the beginning it was to allow a faster and more polished experience over Web. now it's a backwards fad that won't die because it's so profitable. Certain things are better as apps such as games social message tools, but there is no reason for banks and insurance companies to use apps.
    Mobile apps overtake PC Web usage in U.S. - Feb. 28, 2014
    10-05-15 09:50 PM
    Apps are a tacit acknowledgment that in technology, one size doesn't fit all.

You think banks want the extra cost of building and maintaining an extra set of mobile apps? Data shows folks have better mobile experiences on mobile portals.

When I need my insurance info, it's significant easier using the dedicated app than the convoluted website.

Take CB as an example. The app is a bit more straightforward on mobile devices.
    10-05-15 10:02 PM
    It's pretty much a given eventually. This phone isn't going to be a doorbuster and what else is on the plate for the next year? The brief mention that there could possibly be another device?... Not enough...
    10-06-15 03:21 PM
    If the Priv is successful then BB will continue to make phones. They might even continue to make phones if the priv is moderately successful. Remember, if the Priv sold 2M units over an entire quarter, that is more than how many phones BB has sold the last 2Qs...2M is a very small number to reach when selling a phone that is available world wide and in the US on every carrier.

What it comes down to is how the US carriers portray this phone. The fact that all 4 are on board tells me they must have some optimism. Currently samsung sales are slumping and the iPhone doesn't give much profit/commission to carriers (and their reps). I personally believe that the carriers want this phone to sell well because the diversity would lead to increased profits since they'd rather you buy an android than an iPhone. Also, if carriers embrace the priv, reps, which are the people directly responsible for getting consumers to buy a device, will convince potential customers to get the phone. Believe it or not, there is a large enough niche PKB market to keep BB alive. Android is literally the only thing that could save BB. apps + PKB + unique/sexy form factor

OTOH, if it fails like all the BB10 phones, then bb will stop making phones by the end of 2016.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-06-15 09:39 PM

So where did you find the price of 800$? Did Blackberry tell you?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 11:07 PM
    Interesting reading, but all hype, speculation and unsubstantiated commenting by those outside the inner BlackBerry loop. Time will tell.

Posted via Classic SQC100-3 / 10.3.2.858
    10-06-15 11:26 PM
107 ... 2345