Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum although I have been using BlackBerry for nearly ten years now. Curves, Bolds, Classic, then Priv. I'm not in love with the phone, but I considered it lesser evil and took the plunge. I want to love it, but I end up mostly hating it.

I wanted to ask if other users have observed the same thing: more often than not, a notification wakes the screen up and it never goes back to sleep. I get out of the train and I find the Priv is so hot it's almost burning a hole in my pocket, the screen is on and half of battery capacity is gone.

I'm trying very hard to pinpoint this to a single app but I'm not able to. Or alternatively - I plug the Priv to a PC (low power USB port) to charge it a little... after an hour or so I find out that the same thing's happened again and it has less juice than when I connected it. Last night I had something like 10% left, plugged in to a random micro USB on my desk (rather than the original charger *and* cable on my bedside table), came back after half an hour and it was powered off. So I turned it on - it had 1% battery at that stage, and as soon as it powered up, it shut itself down again. After I connected it to the proper charger, I found out that after those two shutdowns, it somehow managed to forget all wifi networks! I tried all notification options (ambient display and others) and nothing seems to change this. At this stage, whenever I have the Priv in my sight, I just hit the power button any time it lights up.

Anyone with similar experiences?
    12-10-15 07:27 AM
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum although I have been using BlackBerry for nearly ten years now. Curves, Bolds, Classic, then Priv. I'm not in love with the phone, but I considered it lesser evil and took the plunge. I want to love it, but I end up mostly hating it.

I wanted to ask if other users have observed the same thing: more often than not, a notification wakes the screen up and it never goes back to sleep. I get out of the train and I find the Priv is so hot it's almost burning a hole in my pocket, the screen is on and half of battery capacity is gone.

I'm trying very hard to pinpoint this to a single app but I'm not able to. Or alternatively - I plug the Priv to a PC (low power USB port) to charge it a little... after an hour or so I find out that the same thing's happened again and it has less juice than when I connected it. Last night I had something like 10% left, plugged in to a random micro USB on my desk (rather than the original charger *and* cable on my bedside table), came back after half an hour and it was powered off. So I turned it on - it had 1% battery at that stage, and as soon as it powered up, it shut itself down again. After I connected it to the proper charger, I found out that after those two shutdowns, it somehow managed to forget all wifi networks! I tried all notification options (ambient display and others) and nothing seems to change this. At this stage, whenever I have the Priv in my sight, I just hit the power button any time it lights up.

I had battery drain when I first got it, due to set up not going well. Didn't do it over WiFi and had bad signal. Anyhow I did a factory reset and it fixed problem. Also turn of location, and turn off scanning for WiFi in advanced settings within WiFi I went 16 hours yesterday, no problem and update helped. Back up everything to Google and reset it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-10-15 07:36 AM
    Try turning off "Ambient display" in the Display settings. This will stop the screen from turning on when notifications arrive.

Attached Thumbnails Priv: always-on screen drains battery-57283.jpg  
    12-10-15 08:19 AM
    Also turn of location, and turn off scanning for WiFi in advanced settings within WiFi I went 16 hours yesterday, no problem and update helped. Back up everything to Google and reset it.
    I need location on (for traffic warnings). Wi-fi scanning in the background is a new one to me, I haven't done that, thanks. As to resetting - this is just Windows 95 again - format and see if it helps. I'm not doing that. I don't have the time to keep maintaining my phone. Anyhow, the issue is specifically due to the screen lighting up and never going back to sleep.
    12-10-15 08:42 AM
    Try turning off "Ambient display" in the Display settings. This will stop the screen from turning on when notifications arrive.

Done that along with other settings - as per my post. One day everything is fine, another time some notification comes up and screen stays on forever. I also have "double tap to wake" enabled. I'll try disabling that as well.
    12-10-15 08:45 AM
    I don't know what's up with my Priv, but i have to manually turn the screen off otherwise it stays on.

I've updated all settings to 15 seconds turn off, ambient is off, brightness is lowest. I haven't received the update yet.

Hoping the update will fix this.

12-10-15 08:53 AM
    I don't know what's up with my Priv, but i have to manually turn the screen off otherwise it stays on.

I've updated all settings to 15 seconds turn off, ambient is off, brightness is lowest. I haven't received the update yet.

Hoping the update will fix this.

I got mine from ShopBlackberry so I've had the update for about a week now... and it does NOT fix it. I have the same settings as you. I also noticed (just about now) that when I have the "double tap to wake up screen" enabled and I double tap, the screen stays on indefinitely, maybe that is the issue - or at least part of it.
    12-10-15 09:07 AM
    Done that along with other settings - as per my post. One day everything is fine, another time some notification comes up and screen stays on forever. I also have "double tap to wake" enabled. I'll try disabling that as well.
    Check your advanced interactions maybe, I thought the reset would be a pain but it truly wasn't as long as it's backed up it all goes back to as it was. Just try it one night while making dinner,

12-10-15 10:21 AM
    i had the same problem. the issue is with the clock app. if you hit snooze on an alarm it keeps the screen alive and you have to manually hit the power button to turn it off. BlackBerry is aware and will update the app soon. For now, you can uninstall the updates or deal with the problem.
    12-10-15 11:05 AM
    I can confirm that the PRIV never goes back to sleep when you have "double tap to wake up" and you double tap the screen. It looks like the same may be happening if it's woken up from lock (password) by any user action such as keyboard slide out or power button. Like the auto-sleep only worked when unlocked.
    12-10-15 01:59 PM
    I can confirm that the PRIV never goes back to sleep when you have "double tap to wake up" and you double tap the screen. It looks like the same may be happening if it's woken up from lock (password) by any user action such as keyboard slide out or power button. Like the auto-sleep only worked when unlocked.
    Mine does, just check your screen time sertings

12-10-15 03:13 PM
    Go to settings, display, then sleep times

12-10-15 03:14 PM
    Sleep is set to 15 seconds and has been this way from the start.
    12-11-15 03:41 AM
    Hi,

That feature is a huge battery drain disable wake screen for notifications!

вιaсĸвεггч ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    12-11-15 04:23 AM
    Blackberry is aware of the issues and are working on it.

Posted via blackberry.....priv?
    12-11-15 05:33 AM
    I just did some of these suggestions. I hope they work. The biggest selling feature of this phone for me was the battery life and I am barley making it 8 hours (I have five email accounts set up in Hub, but had that in my Passport too and didn't drain the battery this fast).
    12-11-15 08:22 AM