With both my Z10 and Bold 99??, I was able to be on a phone call and surfing the Web on my laptop connected to my phone hotspot at the same time. I now have a DROID Turbo, and I can't do that. Will I be able to be in a phone call and have an active hotspot with the Priv? All of these phones have been on Verizon, although I may switch to AT&T if Verizon does not release Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-06-15 08:54 AM
    That's carrier-dependent.

The problem is that some of the OTA protocols (e.g. LTE and HSPA) allow it, and others do not (e.g. CDMA.) If your voice call is forced back onto a technology that doesn't support it, then no.

T-Mobile is famous for this; even in LTE and HSPA areas as soon as you make a call they will in many areas force a downgrade to GSM, which disconnects your data until you hang up. AT&T used to do it too, but stopped some time ago. With Verizon it depends on where you are.

If and when voLTE becomes the norm it will work all the time, but it's not a device thing for the most part -- it's a carrier thing.
    GSEND likes this.
    11-06-15 09:07 AM
    Thanks, tickerguy. It seems as if I was always able to do this with my BlackBerry wherever I was, although I used to be is the Seattle area and I am now in far eastern Washington. I was hoping that it was dependent on the phone manufacturer.

11-06-15 09:19 AM
    It's not, for the most part -- it's a carrier thing.

GSM is technically capable of dual attach (voice and data at the same time) but there were literally zero devices ever made and sold that had this option supported. All HSPA-capable devices are capable as far as I'm aware (I've never seen one without it.) VoLTE is also, of course, but data-only LTE is not.

There are also issues with hand-offs between the technologies, what equipment carriers have both on a hardware and software perspective, and where. In some cases a carrier that cannot hand off from one tech to another will force-downgrade the connection when you place a call to avoid the risk of dropping your call if you move beyond that particular tower's area to somewhere with a technology they cannot hand off to.
    11-06-15 09:28 AM
    Thanks, tickerguy. It seems as if I was always able to do this with my BlackBerry wherever I was, although I used to be is the Seattle area and I am now in far eastern Washington. I was hoping that it was dependent on the phone manufacturer.

As stated above, it is not the area but row carrier service. You could not do that with Verizon 's CDMA network; however, this is possible with AT&T 's GSM network. It does not have to do with the phone.
    11-06-15 09:30 AM
    I'm on AT&T, and even now if I'm on the phone, it drops from LTE to 4G - and remember that 4G on AT&T is really HSPA+, or just the faster 3G.

Of course, mobile data still works, but I can't check anything else such as hotspot usage, because I don't have the right plan for it.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 09:44 AM
    As stated above, it is not the area but row carrier service. You could not do that with Verizon 's CDMA network; however, this is possible with AT&T 's GSM network. It does not have to do with the phone.
    See, that's what I don't understand. I was able to do this on Verizon with my BlackBerry. I really enjoyed needling people with other phones that couldn't do this. I am still on Verizon with a DROID Turbo and can't do this any longer. I always thought it was because the BlackBerry was so much better.

11-06-15 09:45 AM
    I'm on AT&T, and even now if I'm on the phone, it drops from LTE to 4G - and remember that 4G on AT&T is really HSPA+, or just the faster 3G.

Of course, mobile data still works, but I can't check anything else such as hotspot usage, because I don't have the right plan for it.

Posted via CB10
    That's because with very few exceptions AT&T does not support VoLTE (yet), so when you make a call the carrier force-downgrades the connection. Since AT&T supports dual-attach on HSPA, however, and they ALSO can hand off from HSPA to GSM, they downgrade the connection to HSPA instead of to GSM (which T-Mobile often does.)

Verizon had some phones that could attach to both CDMA and EVDO at once, and their systems could handle that. Sprint, on the other hand, was as of a few years ago notorious for not supporting that and as such if you made a call on Sprint you'd lose data until you hung up.
    GSEND likes this.
    11-06-15 09:47 AM

Verizon had some phones that could attach to both CDMA and EVDO at once, and their systems could handle that. Sprint, on the other hand, was as of a few years ago notorious for not supporting that and as such if you made a call on Sprint you'd lose data until you hung up.
    I guess that pretty much answers my question. First, I hope that Verizon actually gets the Priv. Second, I hope that between Verizon and BlackBerry that I will be able to use data while in a phone call. I really wanted the answer to be that all BlackBerries could do this on any network.

11-06-15 09:56 AM
    Verizon is moving to VoLTE/LTE capable everywhere. They will not currently allow a phone without CDMA to activate due to E911 concerns (they don't want the government to come after them if you find you can't call 911 because you have no CMDA radio and there is no VoLTE service where you are) but within the next couple of years the CDMA/EVDO network will be marginalized much as AMPS was for a long time before it was shut down and will be used only for telemetry applications (think cop car data terminals, which almost-exclusively rides on this service today.)
    11-06-15 10:20 AM