Context:

Let me start saying I was absolutely terrified of moving from my Z30 to the Android based PRIV. I was certain I would hate it because it wasn't BB10 and that I would lose so much functionality in the area of productivity. I've also never had an Android phone before this one. I've only ever owned BlackBerry phones (going back to BlackBerry World Edition) *and only dabbled with Android with my Galaxy 8.0 Note tablet.

Now you have a fair idea of where where I'm coming from�

First Impressions:

The overall design and feel of the device have been growing on me, it seems, every time I pick it up. It has a great solid sturdy feel to it. The curved edges and squared corners give it a sleek sexy look that I'm really starting to enjoy.

The Android OS took some getting used to. I say that, but I was comfortable within the first few hours. It wasn't until after the first 36 hours that I really started to enjoy it. From an app perspective, it has everything you could want and more. From a productivity perspective, I'm learning to make it work and I've already become more efficient with things like notifications, notes, tasks, and documents.

I've used the keyboard and although it does feel a little cramped, I'm enjoying the expanded screen that it offers more than I thought I would. And I'm learning how to used a keyboard again. Kinda fun.

The HUB:

This was my biggest area of fear making the transition. That I'd lose the magic of the HUB from BB10. And in all honesty, I have. It's not the same. Its useful. It's a good attempt. I believe it will get better. Having said that, I'm finding the notifications tray at the top to be a pretty close 2nd to keeping me up-to-date on everything. Plus, with more app options (major one being Sports for me) the notifications tray does what I need it to do. I can live with it. Plus, my company uses IBM Verse in a container, so it's not integrated with the HUB anyway. Granted, that is my company's choice, and not a limitation of the phone itself.

The Camera :

Is fantastic. I love it. Haven't shot video with it, or taken shots in low light, but first impressions are it is ahead of my Z30.

Battery life:

Was terrible out of the box. It seems to be improving over the two days I've had it. I don't go from 100% to 60% in 2 hours anymore. This is encouraging.

Overall:

I think I'm falling in love with this phone rather quickly. I miss cascades from BB10. I miss my everything HUB. I do worry some about privacy with Android. But, I gotta be totally honest. This is a great device for me. If anyone were to ask if I'd recommend it, I would say yes without hesitation.

I found what I feared most was change. This phone might not be for everyone. But for me, it's a keeper. I look forward to future enhancements.

But overall, this is a beautiful phone

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    gebco, Sigewif, FF22 and 7 others like this.
    04-15-16 11:04 PM
    Thank you very much for your post. I am receiving my BlackBerry Priv tomorrow. And quite similarly, moving to it from the BlackBerry Z30. I hope I am as impressed as you.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    06-30-16 04:34 AM
    I came from a Z30 and I've been BlackBerry all my smartphone life. Aside from a few small things, I am very happy with Priv. After several months I would not go back to the Z30. It was nice but having things like Google maps and not having to find BlackBerry app equivalents that everyone else takes for granted is gold.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    Matt J and anon(2026370) like this.
    06-30-16 07:43 AM
    I mentioned the "fear of change" in one of my posts. I think that when you have a top tier bb10 device like a Passport (my previous phone) you are afraid that the next phone you get won't stack up to the passport.

When I thought about the future of bb10, It was a no Brainer to make the change to android. At least, android has a solid future while bb10 slowly but surely gets the life taken out of it.

06-30-16 12:34 PM
    How is the build quality? Since you come from a Z30 you likely won't be able to judge the quality of the pkb, but how's the quality of the sliding mechanism?
    It is all solid or is it (like partly reported) wobbly and unfirm?
    Do you have the overheating problem?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-16 01:06 PM
    Many Blackberry users have made the transfer to this alien contraption called the Priv including myself. I agree what has been written in the posts before me. I also feared that the security of the Priv would not be up to Blackberry's standards.
    But having used it for about 3 month now I stand corrected and use the Priv like others use their Laptops.
    If I am not mistaken then the Priv has been the last Blackberry phone designed and build by BlackBerry? The next coming city named Android phones branded Blackberry are if again I am not mistaken 3th party designed and build mobiles.
    If this is true I would like to ask Blackberry to reconsider and instead of marketing cheap look alike Blackberry branded phones to improve on what already is available like the Priv.
    Why not upgrade the internals, processor, memory
    Add a second SD slot and allow for double sim cards.
    The build is Blackberry "Solid" the screen is superb.
    The making of a long lasting winner that you disabled with inferior hardware!
    my opinion of course.

anon(2026370) likes this.
    07-01-16 04:00 AM
    Just ordered a priv from a z30 and have the Dame fears

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 06:33 AM
    Remember the Hub when BlackBerry 10 was launched. It was not that good as now.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 06:36 AM