My needs are not large. Browsing, email, sms, camera, 10-15 vital apps, no gaming..will a Priv in 2021 just frustrate me or be an ok smartphone?

Is it too laggy? I will use the Hub, fyi

I'm well aware of the lack of support, patches, updates ect..not a concern.

From the dying embers of BB10 using an OG Passport.
    02-12-21 11:05 PM
    My needs are not large. Browsing, email, sms, camera, 10-15 vital apps, no gaming..will a Priv in 2021 just frustrate me or be an ok smartphone?

It's a 5 year old phone running an OS that is 4 versions behind. It's not impossible, but it will have its challenges (and limitations).

You may say you aren't concerned about security, but keep in mind the Priv has about 1700 PUBLISHED (and publicly available) security flaws, of which over 250 are deemed critical.
    Last edited by conite; 02-12-21 at 11:37 PM.
    Onthelinit1979 and codeslinga like this.
    02-12-21 11:14 PM

I having been using my PRIV since 2016 with not one, nada zero, zilch issues with regards to security. Yes I stick just to PlayStore, get regular app updates, have loaded just the apps I needed, stay away from resource heavy social media and gaming and it all just works fine. All messaging apps also work flawlessly.

I also regularly clear cache, do not use location unless really necessary and also kill background process. I use this task manger that works great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hp.taskmanager

Use it with 7 email accounts, great strong antena signal, great hands free speaker , physical keyboard not one issue over the years as I use it always and that gorgeous high resolution screen.

I personally hope the next upcoming BlackBerry device is a slider as I really like the overall form factor. Don't get me wrong also use my KEY2 Red but the PRIV is just something else.
    02-13-21 02:20 AM
    I received a PRIV from BlackBerry for testing five years ago and sent it back after two hours of use. It did not appeal to me at all. Now, however, I bought one for my collection and played around with it a bit. And what do I have to say? I should have given the PRIV 2016 a chance after all.
    02-13-21 05:23 AM
    I having been using my PRIV since 2016 with not one, nada zero, zilch issues with regards to security.
    That you're aware of.

In any event, it's like saying seatbelts are useless because you never got in an accident.

It's one thing to make decisions for yourself, but actively advocating is another.
    codeslinga likes this.
    02-13-21 06:39 AM
    That you're aware of.

In any event, it's like saying seatbelts are useless because you never got in an accident.

It's one thing to make decisions for yourself, but actively advocating is another.
    NOT advocating just sharing my ongoing real-time experience with my PRIV.
    02-13-21 07:00 AM
    NOT advocating just sharing my ongoing real-time experience with my PRIV.
    Your language implied that it was perfectly safe. It is not.

"... with not one, nada zero, zilch issues with regards to security"
    codeslinga likes this.
    02-13-21 01:42 PM

Dumb from a laggy usage standpoint. I was using it for S&G after I got irritated with the Passport SE and it wasn't much better. It does support RCS texting but Android Marshmallow is too old to be trusted safely for anything but CrackBerry use.

At minimum, the BE KEYone or Motion but still running Android 8.1 Oreo but there's no real lag issue. Keep in mind security updates stopped 12-18 months ago minimum. Which brings us to a Key2 or Key2 LE but still dated especially for price.

Since the Key2 and Key2 LE have been standing in the same place for so long, even the Unihertz Titan has caught up in terms of risk profile. You're just trading out who you might be sharing your information with.....
    02-13-21 01:53 PM
    Your language implied that it was perfectly safe. It is not.

"... with not one, nada zero, zilch issues with regards to security"
    Oh please stop it!...I shared MY experience using MY PRIV. Period. No need twisting comments into a negative spiral.
    02-13-21 02:27 PM
    Oh please stop it!...I shared MY experience using MY PRIV. Period. No need twisting comments into a negative spiral.
    Then please stop saying it.

Likewise, even it were true, I wouldn't share that I've driven for 3+ years without a seatbelt and have never had one, nada zero, zilch issues with regards to injury.

It gives a false impression of security.

You could simply report that you acknowledge the risk and, as far as you know, it hasn't bit you in the behind yet. That would be a more prudent way to express it.
    Last edited by conite; 02-13-21 at 02:57 PM.
    John Albert likes this.
    02-13-21 02:28 PM
    Some people leave their car unlocked and the keys on top of the sun visor, and have no problem for years - until the day that their car is gone along with anything inside of it.

Maybe you're using a throw-away Google account to set it up and have no important email accounts, bank accounts, or apps on it - in that case, the risk is minor. But if you're using the phone as your primary device, or with your primary email account, or as a 2-factor-authentication device, then you are risking any and all of those things.

As conite says, there are hundreds of known, published, critical security holes that nearly any hacker could use to compromise your device and take over your accounts. It's great that no one has done so yet, but that doesn't mean it won't happen today or tomorrow either.

Of course, you have every right to decide to take that risk with your own device - each person needs to evaluate their own exposure - but it's good to at least be aware of what the risks are and how high they are.

I've personally had to explain to people that they've forever lost access to an email account, pictures, documents, a whole device, etc., and it's often devastating for them once they realize the scope of the loss. I hate to see anyone in that position.
    02-13-21 07:52 PM
    Then please stop saying it.

Likewise, even it were true, I wouldn't share that I've driven for 3+ years without a seatbelt and have never had one, nada zero, zilch issues with regards to injury.

It gives a false impression of security.

You could simply report that you acknowledge the risk and, as far as you know, it hasn't bit you in the behind yet. That would be a more prudent way to express it.
    Condite, I appreciate your concern as to the necessity of security but you don't need to police other people's opinions.

There is a reason I said I wasn't concerned about the security issues, 1. Because I'm not 2. I didn't want others chiming in about their personal opinions about the need for security or lack there of. I am simply concerned how the phone performs in 2021.

02-14-21 01:19 AM
    Condite, I appreciate your concern as to the necessity of security but you don't need to police other people's opinions.

There is a reason I said I wasn't concerned about the security issues, 1. Because I'm not 2. I didn't want others chiming in about their personal opinions about the need for security or lack there of. I am simply concerned how the phone performs in 2021.

Don't worry, this wasn't about you.

I feel I have a duty to the rest of the community to discourage others from being flippant about security.

This is a BlackBerry fan-site after all, and security is in our blood.
    02-14-21 01:50 AM

Apart from everything else, a positive note is that the camera is the best BlackBerry has offered, very good!

Posted via CB10
    Paulelmar18 and jimmyhagg like this.
    02-14-21 03:24 AM
    Leaving safety/security issues aside for a minute, I think it can still be used in 2021; most excellent screen, a very nice pkb and not really laggy, for me at least. Things to consider are the following:
    Battery life is not great really, but without any heavy use, it'll carry me through the day. It does get somewhat warm at times, and my main complaint is it takes ages to update apps; and the Google app in particular, it cannot update and it ends up rebooting (and even that takes ages)....So, all in all the BB Keyone seems to be a better option, but within its limitations, the Priv can most certainly be used in 2021. Oh, and one last thing: It definitely needs a quick charger, because the standard one needs three hours (at least) to charge the phone.
    02-14-21 07:21 AM
    Leaving safety/security issues aside for a minute, I think it can still be used in 2021; most excellent screen, a very nice pkb and not really laggy, for me at least. Things to consider are the following:
    Battery life is not great really, but without any heavy use, it'll carry me through the day. It does get somewhat warm at times, and my main complaint is it takes ages to update apps; and the Google app in particular, it cannot update and it ends up rebooting (and even that takes ages)....So, all in all the BB Keyone seems to be a better option, but within its limitations, the Priv can most certainly be used in 2021. Oh, and one last thing: It definitely needs a quick charger, because the standard one needs three hours (at least) to charge the phone.
    You're dead on with the descriptions. The way you described lagginess is correct and for me, that's what really makes unusable, for me.

The AT&T KEYone began to show the beginnings of this behavior where the BE KEYone does not yet.

I suspect this has more to do with 3/32 versus 4/64 than anything else.
    saint300 and anon(8004005) like this.
    02-14-21 07:36 AM
    I use my Priv as a replacement for my Pre3 since 2016. It's great and I love it! For me it's still the best. Sometimes it reboots and lags, Camera is so,so. Battery life is worsening every year (sometimes I need to recharge during the day).
    Paulelmar18, Rico4you and bbpriv like this.
    02-14-21 08:51 AM
    I wouldn't advise using a Priv as a primary phone in 2021 due to the unsatisfactory performance that isn't getting better over time.

The snapdragon 808 is an absolute turd of a processor.

Make no mistake, whatever time you gain over a VKB slab by typing accurately on the Priv's (underrated) PKB, you WILL lose waiting for apps to load...and load...and load again, as it has 3GB of RAM. And it's definitely not worth sending yours to China to have the extra GB of RAM installed on it at this point like someone here did.
    However, if there were a way to install the KEYone or KEY2 or LE processor on it, then yes I'd say it's worth a shot, as the form factor and design is simply amazing.

I can't recommend the Priv to anyone but the biggest die hard portrait slider fans out there.

I owned 9 of them, bought each one because I missed the form factor, and sold it later because the performance was too lacking.
    anon(5597702) and bbpriv like this.
    02-14-21 09:35 AM
    Is it possible to actually install 1 GB extra to Priv??
    bbpriv likes this.
    02-14-21 10:46 AM
    you WILL lose waiting for apps to load...and load...and load again,
    On that I have a different experience. Apps load up quickly, it's only updating upps that takes so long.
    bbpriv likes this.
    02-14-21 10:48 AM
    There is a thread around where someone did that. Obviously a lot of expertise and soldering required.
    bbpriv likes this.
    02-14-21 11:46 AM
    There was a member @ToniCipriani who did this but it's difficult to get it done.
    bbpriv likes this.
    02-14-21 11:48 AM
    If that entails sending the phone over to China, I'll pass. But if it can be done otherwise, I'm interested. Having said that, I still fear that that 808 CPU will always be a problem here.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-14-21 12:36 PM
    If that entails sending the phone over to China, I'll pass. But if it can be done otherwise, I'm interested. Having said that, I still fear that that 808 CPU will always be a problem here.
    I believe there was a PRIV thread detailing the process but it did involve the phone needing to go to PRC or Hong Kong if memory serves correct...
    02-14-21 05:37 PM
    The +:
    Great camera .
    Great for email.
    Fantastic hardware.
    The -:
    Battery
    Not for heavy apps.
    Tips: shut data and GPS off when you don't need them
    Download the light versions of apps when available (Facebook, messenger etc.)
    Other than that I love my Priv .
    Rico4you and bbpriv like this.
    02-15-21 01:22 AM
83 123 ...