I bought an LG G4 unlocked/contract-free for $479 two weeks ago, and it has essentially the exact same hardware (Qualcomm 808, 3 GB RAM, 16 MP camera [best camera on any smartphone], 5.5" IPS 2560x1440 screen, SD card, removable battery, NFC), minus the keyboard of course. It wouldn't be easy to convince most people to pay $800 (over $300 difference) just for the keyboard and whatever extra BB security would exist for a consumer/non-BES phone.. IMO, anything over $600 and BB is going to have a problem moving devices - and they NEED to sell in volume or the hardware business will quickly be over for BB.
    That's a good point. I keep forgetting the specs are almost similar to the LG g4 and the g4 has been out for a while. Not only that but there's all this talk about Qualcomm 820.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-28-15 01:18 AM
    Hopefully it's not priced over $699 as it is BlackBerry's first entry phone into the Android market. However, I will have no problem buying the phone at higher price because I want it.
    You and me both buddy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-28-15 01:18 AM
    I guess it will be 549� in Europe
    09-28-15 01:53 AM
    my guess is 850 CAD and 299 on contract from Robellus
    09-28-15 02:02 AM
    Well Johnnie put his foot in it. You can't put this fone in the same league cost wise as a BB10 device. Its basically cost him nothing to produce. All the technology was in other devices before the Priv so no cost there. And the famous drivers have cost him sweet blow all. So now he can walk the walk and put his money where his mouth is. I say this fone should cost nothing more than $400.
    09-28-15 02:24 AM
    Let's put it this way. If Priv is priced $100 shy of IP6S, I'd get IP6S.
    I agree that the price should be as competitive as possible to get people to switch, but I have to ask... you really value the physical keyboard, the virtual keyboard, the hub, calendar. led notification, the whole productivity suite and more... less than the IP6S?

I can see why the price should be lower than iPhones and other android brands for the general consumer who know nothing of BlackBerry's strong points. But if this holds true even for the people here using BB10, BlackBerry is in more trouble that I thought.
    09-28-15 03:08 AM
    I agree that the price should be as competitive as possible to get people to switch, but I have to ask... you really value the physical keyboard, the virtual keyboard, the hub, calendar. led notification, the whole productivity suite and more... less than the IP6S?

I can see why the price should be lower than iPhones and other android brands for the general consumer who know nothing of BlackBerry's strong points. But if this holds true even for the people here using BB10, BlackBerry is in more trouble that I thought.
    The only thing that differentiates the Priv from the other Android phones is the PKB. The BB Suite will be available in the Playstore for all. And there are consumers out there, that buy phones with their own money that don't know what a QWERTY PKB is.

And yes, hardware division of BB is in trouble. If the Priv fails, it will be the last consumer device from the company
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-15 05:43 AM
    I just looked at the Blackphone 2 and it basically has the same hardware specs as the Priv, minus the slide out keyboard and its priced at $799.00 US. I would think the Blackberry Priv would come in at $600-649 US to be competitive? Just thought I would toss that out there.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-28-15 06:30 AM
    The BB Suite will be available in the Playstore for all.
    How sure are you about this? Even if it is being updated via Play, there are device restricted apps on there where you can't just download to another phone.
    09-28-15 07:23 AM
    I just looked at the Blackphone 2 and it basically has the same hardware specs as the Priv, minus the slide out keyboard and its priced at $799.00 US. I would think the Blackberry Priv would come in at $600-649 US to be competitive? Just thought I would toss that out there.
    I think you are on point there. Bla1ze was saying that he thinks the sweet spot would be $599 USD and $699 CDN. I have to agree with that although they could probably squeeze another $50 out of their customers if they wanted to.

I have absolutely no credibility in pricing technology but, in comparison to other devices and their pricepoints, what I would hope for is:

30 day promo pricing:
    $549 USD / $649 CDN
    And MSRP afterward:
    $599 USD / $699 CDN

I think they'd be pushing it too much if they went for any higher.
    09-28-15 07:27 AM
    How sure are you about this? Even if it is being updated via Play, there are device restricted apps on there where you can't just download to another phone.
    Chen said at MWC that the experience suite would be available cross-platform - to Android, iOS, and WinPhone. This was back when BB10 was the plan, but I doubt the strategy has changed.

Chen wants BB to be a software company. To restrict availability of the experience suite to the Priv would go against that strategy, and be dumb commercially. A sale is a sale, and BB needs the money!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    JohnGrey likes this.
    09-28-15 07:38 AM
    B

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 07:52 AM
    D.O.A. in that price range and here's why I think so. For one thing, only one company is having consistent success in the high-end segment of the market, and they don't make Android phones. Another reason is that the current king of Android OEM's is cutting the prices of its high-end offerings because of poor sales. I simply don't see a scenario where a phone in that price range with little or no mindshare(combined with BB's penchant for poor marketing execution) can be anywhere near as successful as the company needs it to be.
    09-28-15 08:11 AM
    The only real differentiator is the keyboard. The Experience Suite is coming to non-BBRY Android handsets and iOS; it does not represent a unique value. Those could've been a major selling point if BBRY hadn't made clear that they were coming to other platforms but they did.

But they can't differentiate the price depending on one's present allegiance by having an early-bird discount. As someone mentioned previously that will just stall out buys after the discount expires while people wait for the price to go back down, and that's assuming they don't dismiss the phone, and brand, outright.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    09-28-15 08:29 AM
    Does anybody know how expensive / cheap LG G4 is in North America?

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g4/tech_specs

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 10:15 AM
    OP, bankers, CEO... they don't pay for their phones. It's the company that provides them... and typically companies will look to pay the less possible.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 10:20 AM
    Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 10:36 AM
    I also hope they will price reasonably. To me that would be between $550-$650. That would keep it within the high-end devices and devices like the Moto X Pure (which I believe is $499?), which offer a great device for an attractive price. This is their first android device, so I will be cautious and try it out before purchasing and will be comparing it to other offerings.
    09-28-15 11:04 AM
    Does anybody know how expensive / cheap LG G4 is in North America?

LG G4 Specs ? Screen Size, Resolution & Memory | LG USA

Posted via CB10
    It's $650+tax CAD in Canada on WIND. It launched at that price (although they said it was "on sale" at that price initially and then the sale price just became the regular price). Using an exchange calculator that's ~$490 USD.

I have been eyeballing it since it released mid-June. It's down to the G4 and the Priv for me. I'd already have the G4 if I hadn't been waiting for the official Priv announcement. Personally, if the Priv prices close to the S6E+ based on the bull**** curved screen then I'm going to go with the G4. I love the idea of having a physical keyboard, but the G4 has a removable battery, probably a better quality screen, larger screen, superior camera (this is its main focus and it is the crowned king of cellphone cameras in manual mode atm) and comes with both a leather back and a plastic back in Canada. So it comes down to how much extra I'd pay for that keyboard/how much I'm willing to overlook on the Priv for that keyboard & "privacy". The curved screen isn't a "pro" for me, I put all my devices in cases and I"m not paying extra for a screen that will be easier to break/more expensive to replace. This is of course, just my opinion.

Also... the G4 came with a special promotion in the US at launch where you'd get a free 128 GB micro SD card, free charger and a free battery pack if you bought it within the first month it came out. Also for some carriers/some stores in Canada. They also had a crazy "user experience" program where they sent 4000 people the G4 worldwide to test for 30 days, and people who completed all the social media challenges got to keep the phone, so there was quite a bit of hype for the device.

I think Blackberry would be very stupid to price it over $750 CAD unless the screen quality/battery life/camera utterly DESTROYS the competition. And I'm doubting that it can because even the mid-range Moto X Play released in August has an insane battery and impressive camera for a mid range $450 CAD device...

BB has some fierce competition since they've been dragging their feet on the announcement. Had they launched in March when they first teased the device they'd be a clear winner in the Android space but their timing was off and now it's pretty much relying on the keyboard and the boogeyman to save it. I still want one damn it but price definitely can turn me off because I'm looking for the best bang for my buck.
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    09-28-15 11:05 AM
    It's $650+tax CAD in Canada on WIND. It launched at that price (although they said it was "on sale" at that price initially and then the sale price just became the regular price). Using an exchange calculator that's ~$490 USD.
    Also... the G4 came with a special promotion in the US at launch where you'd get a free 128 GB micro SD card, free charger and a free battery pack if you bought it within the first month it came out. Also for some carriers/some stores in Canada.
    I do not know how much it would cost for BlackBerry Limited to produce a unit of Priv but I suppose that Priv might lose its appeal if it is priced higher than US$ 500.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 06:18 PM
    Although BlackBerry can't afford to price it too low, they should price it about $550, this way they can lure in people back to the brand, restore people's perception of the brand, build up brand recognition among the young generation, and in a few years down the road, start to price more premium. This being their first entry into android, they don't want to price too high, or people will forget this phone exists before it gets off the ground

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 06:22 PM
71 123