Anything less would be stupid. Priv, premium device, is not competing with cheap android phones. Its s audience is bankers, CEOs, lawyers, Engineers, and very high end customers still in love with keyboards...around ~20-40 million. Obviously security and privacy is valued by this audience too which makes this device a must have for them.

The target audience is willing to drop cash up to $1000. I don't think this device is appropriate for blackberry users still holding onto 3 year old phones wanting a bargain. You can buy the older bb10 devices from ebay or move onto cheap android versions offered by other non-secure vendors.

Posted via CB10
    A_Aviator_A likes this.
    09-26-15 08:52 AM
    You're not very smart in the pricing in the REAL world. IF they priced the PRIV with your prices it's guaranteed to FLOP. No way people would pay that. If it's more then $499 - $599 and that's pushing it on the high end, it's Game OVER. It is a cheap phone made of plastic with no high quality materials.

People are far from dropping $1000 on a blackberry, every device the last 3 years they released was overpriced. The market let them know by not buying them.
    Last edited by SparkyBC; 09-26-15 at 09:09 AM.
    09-26-15 08:57 AM
    no matter how you try to see it it's still a smart phone and nobody will pay more then the market value
    09-26-15 09:00 AM
    I think it should be priced JUST under the price of the S6 Edge. That way it's within the high end territory but at the same time it will get people who are on the fence with its price tag.
    Joao Oliveira, kbz1960 and wincyUt like this.
    09-26-15 09:36 AM
    And don't forget - anyone thinking the purchase out clearly will consider ( as I am): what if BlackBerry dumps the mobile device business totally? Now - no ongoing OS support for the Android BlackBerry "package " - and no ongoing hardware support. The only source for support for either area is from BlackBerry itself - not from Google, and not from the hardware manufacturer.

So - one's purchase of a Priv could end up being a several hundred dollars paperweight.

Contrast that to purchasing a product from Samsung or LG (or even a Nexus from Google) - any of which are much "safer" purchases.

So BlackBerry needs to set a price low enough for people to be willing to take the gamble.

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    09-26-15 09:37 AM
    Price it about 150-200 dollars supplementing the monthly fees of a 2 years contract is acceptable!

Who wants it just gets it!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    Rob Straker and wincyUt like this.
    09-26-15 09:38 AM
    600 dollars sim free is okay.
    Look at release prices of iPhone 6s, Sony Xperia Z5 and Samsung's...
    Q10 and Passport were not cheap either!
    Quality has its price!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    Rob Straker and wincyUt like this.
    09-26-15 09:41 AM
    In some cases (speculation or personal opinion for example) you might consider using words like could, should, might, likely etc. for the title of your threads... thanks...
    09-26-15 09:41 AM
    I think $750-$850 is simply over priced. To me, $399-$449.99 would be a decent price...
    09-27-15 12:42 AM
    I think $750-$850 is simply over priced. To me, $399-$449.99 would be a decent price...
    Won't ever happen
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-27-15 12:48 AM
    Anything less would be stupid. Priv, premium device, is not competing with cheap android phones. Its s audience is bankers, CEOs, lawyers, Engineers, and very high end customers still in love with keyboards...around ~20-40 million. Obviously security and privacy is valued by this audience too which makes this device a must have for them.

The target audience is willing to drop cash up to $1000. I don't think this device is appropriate for blackberry users still holding onto 3 year old phones wanting a bargain. You can buy the older bb10 devices from ebay or move onto cheap android versions offered by other non-secure vendors.

Posted via CB10
    That was what they said about the Passport. That the target audience was professionals, hence the "work wide" campaign. How did that work out?

BlackBerry is in no position to outprice the iphone and Galaxy units.

You must be smoking some good stuff. Puff on!!!

Posted via CB10
    Pain, JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    09-27-15 12:57 AM
    I'd pay premium price for this phone. It's not a Leap, it's not a budget phone they went all out with this thing. I mean they didn't even have to implement expandable storage and yet they did. Nice screen, decent build quality (from what I've seen), good specs. What more could you ask for?

People normally don't pay full price for their phones. They either ditch one carrier and sign up for 2 years with another carrier, renew their contract once their contract is up, or do that whole monthly plan where you're paying like 25 bucks a month until you pay off the phone.

Do I want this phone priced at 400 bucks? Of course I do but I'd be delusional. You want a 400 dollar android? Go buy a One Plus 2, a Motorola Pure or that new Nexus.

I want my physical keyboard and I'm willing to pay a premium price. Of blackberry is going to implement some kind of security software to run along with Android then even better.. Speaking of which.. If this thing is suppose to be secure then of course it's going to cost more than your run of the mill flagship phone. Yeah blackberry isn't selling but they're still known for their security.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-27-15 01:33 AM
    Passport was $700 at launch off contract, so I'm guessing around there.

Much less than that is the fantasy of sneks.
    wincyUt and anischab like this.
    09-27-15 02:35 AM
    You're laughing

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 03:57 AM
    As a business person myself and having to deal with my clients who are more budget conscious now then years ago, everything they buy today has to be "value added". The days of buying something at an inflated price because of it's brand are over, most companies and consumers for that matter are very savoy at comparing the features, long term support and the price to whats is currently available in the market.

Blackberry is no longer n the position to justify pricing their devices at the top end even if they offer some forum of high security. Most of my clients who are using Android devices feel the software they have already offers a good security solution. I am hoping Blackberry is smart and prices the device so it looks attractive to both the consumer and the corporate side.

I feel a good price point of $549-649 US dollars would be realistic number based on whats already available in the current Android market. Forget about comparing the Priv pricing to the iPhone. Apple has a much better support system and loyal following and to me would not be my target audience. Most of my clients and friends who where former Blackberry users are now on Android and if the device is priced right, they would be willing to cross back over to the brand because now their current apps and Google play services would be fully supported.

Also Android is used much more widely used on the global market and I would think the Priv would appeal the those consumers and corporate customers, but this is all based on how the device is priced at the official release? Now it's a waiting game. Myself, I have my funds waiting and if the cost is in the 549-649 US dollar range, there will be three units sold on the first day for myself, my brother and another friend. Just my two cents.
    09-27-15 07:23 AM
    I sort of agree with the original poster. Im on record here before in saying that BB needs a premium device that is more expensive than iphone or Edge.

If the PRIV is truly a premium device then it should not be bulked in with cheaper Android handsets. Blackberry needs to re-introduce "premium" into their lineup in order to go after the markets they want. Your low end budget consumer may not be a target for this device.

The price will reflect the markets Chen is going after. I doubt he wants this phone to be a general consumer phone, cause that will flop.as a flagship device. Samsung has a strong foothold in the premium droid market.
    09-27-15 07:46 AM
    Let's put it this way. If Priv is priced $100 shy of IP6S, I'd get IP6S.

US600 is a nice price point but I doubt that will be the case. North 700 I can see which is a huge mistake.

If Priv become a hit then it would be a no brainer to have Priv2 north of 700. But as a first Android handset to break into the market, it would be ridiculous to go over 600.

Posted via  Passport Silver Edition
    09-27-15 07:55 AM
    Chen said it himself BlackBerry is no longer a status symbol. Those people you mentioned are not frivolous with their money- while often they sped a lot on things they see as status, BlackBerry is currently not one of them.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 07:57 AM
    Let's put it this way. If Priv is priced $100 shy of IP6S, I'd get IP6S.

US600 is a nice price point but I doubt that will be the case. North 700 I can see which is a huge mistake.

If Priv become a hit then it would be a no brainer to have Priv2 north of 700. But as a first Android handset to break into the market, it would be ridiculous to go over 600.

Posted via  Passport Silver Edition
    But he's going after the institutional market...not the people who would rather get an iphone than a blackberry, but the people who have no choice but a blackberry. There is a difference. Your argument holds true only for general consumers.
    09-27-15 07:59 AM
    $649 US is $865 CAN

The Canadian dollar is hurting real bad and this will not make for a cheap price on this device. I expect a min price of $799 CAN or higher. It will not be lower.
    09-27-15 08:05 AM
    Samsung and iphone sell. They can price the phones whatever they see fit. Blackberry on the other hand. Needs to moves units. So they should price there units cheaper to see if they can get a fan base back.
    JohnGrey likes this.
    09-27-15 08:22 AM
    Were you involved in the manufacturing process , you seem to know quite a lot .
    09-27-15 08:28 AM
    $699 is realistic. I would be happy for $650, and would get two on day 1 at $599.

Anything less is strictly fantasy. They can't price it where the lose money on each unit sold.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    wincyUt and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-27-15 08:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    Target only those people, then BlackBerry becomes a target of hostile takeovers and penny stock traders. Or bankruptcy lawyers.

The Priv has the exact same specs as the LG G4, it should not be priced much more than that. Samsung can market that curved screen because they have the Galaxy brand equity. The price of the Priv should be in between the G4 and the G Flex 2.
    09-27-15 09:13 AM
    This phone will not be cheap. Top of the line specs and Android means mass appeal. I am fully expecting $700.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    09-27-15 09:36 AM
71 123