So, if you want the power that Hub gives you, you're going to have to pay for it. Sorry. Save up. Like all phones, the price will come down over time. But, stop saying this phone is DOA because of the price. You're comparing it to phones that don't offer what Priv does.

Posted via CB10
    You are dead wrong... Unfortunately the truth is that BB needs customers not other way around. It is consumers who have all the choices, not blackberry. If they think hub will help them get apple or android customers, sure ...maybe some. 5 mil a month? Don't think so with these prices. Especially with such a horrible launch of the product that is supposed to save the device side of the business. Marketing students will probably learn in schools about how one company did every single thing wrong about the great product.
    Last edited by fadmin; 10-27-15 at 07:19 AM.
    mister2d likes this.
    10-27-15 06:59 AM
    There are four things people care about when buying a phone : name: price: apps: specs.

Name. Most think BlackBerry is dead.
    Price. BlackBerry prices are not an incentive to buy one.
    Apps. Most people think BlackBerry is dead or dying so they have no idea they run Android. Apps.
    Specs. Specs are a selling feature. If BlackBerry has the same or less than specs of others it's at a disadvantage.

If BlackBerry cares about market share they should have sold the Z10 at loss to hold market share, thereby creating or holding onto loyalty. Instead they still have a desire to turn a profit on phones. At this point they've proven time and again they can't. They need to break even or take a loss and hope for converts and back this up with massive marketing.

Posted via CB10
    I'd add also support and return on phone investment. Whoever think that blackberry products at this stage can be compared may be delusional. Instead of beating dead horse, BB should see what make an iphone the best product in the world and try to do same thing.
    Just because users like myself think that BB10 or priv is better will not make company successful, sale does.
    10-27-15 07:06 AM
    They should put out a lower spec model called the UnderPrived and charge less for it so the people that can't afford a good phone can still buy it.
    10-27-15 09:33 AM
    For those who are still on the fence due to the price, a good marketer will say: what is that two bucks a day over a year to worry about and to compare with the joy of having your very own Privilege before anyone else .
    Well, I'm Canadian, I was born into privilege - so I already have that going for me .

Not sure they fully understood the word though and it's deeper meanings when they started to use that to market the phone. Yes it's a less common computer term, but it's mostly used in conjunction with social inequality, easy to swindle, loss of value, not fully understanding what you've been given, or in some cases having less than you think you have. Things you probably don't want the majority of English speakers to associate with your phone.

They probably should have chosen a term like authority.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    dejanh likes this.
    10-27-15 09:39 AM
    Well, I'm Canadian, I was born into privilege - so I already have that going for me .

Not sure they fully understood the word though and it's deeper meanings when they started to use that to market the phone. Yes it's a less common computer term, but it's mostly used in conjunction with social inequality, easy to swindle, loss of value, not fully understanding what you've been given, or in some cases having less than you think you have. Things you probably don't want the majority of English speakers to associate with your phone.

They probably should have chosen a term like authority.

Privthority?
    10-27-15 09:54 AM
    Authority is such a strong word. Privilege is more vague and more commonly used in services to high net worth clientele especially in the finance industry
    10-27-15 09:55 AM
    I think the Priv is for their new accounts from the Good takeover.
    They can welcome these people with the phone saying "Not everyone has this. Enjoy it."
    10-27-15 10:23 AM
    Authority is such a strong word. Privilege is more vague and more commonly used in services to high net worth clientele especially in the finance industry
    Can they afford to be vague right now? I thought this company was Bold

10-27-15 10:30 AM
    Privthority?
    I like it!

10-27-15 10:30 AM
    True. When Z10 was released it was a whopping USD 700.
    It took BlackBerry writing off a Billion dollars to put the Z10 down in the $199 price range..... and that was because they had built MILLIONS of them in anticipation of what they hoped would be a very successfully launch.

I can promise you that neither BlackBerry nor their manufacturing/inventory control partner will be taking that risk with the PRIV. I don't know what the "cost" of the PRIV is to manufacture... but with development cost for the hardware and software. I bet you won't ever see a $199 price associated with a brand new PRIV. I would not be surprised to see $599 in the near future, and maybe as low as $499 a year from now.... beyond that it probable isn't worth manufacturing and supporting them.
    10-27-15 10:45 AM
    They should put out a lower spec model called the UnderPrived and charge less for it so the people that can't afford a good phone can still buy it.
    LOL! You win the Internet for today.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 11:51 AM
    So... Motorola is trying to peddle this for $624...

(no, there's no screen protector installed.)

Hands-on with Verizon?s Droid Turbo 2 and its plastic ?shatterproof? display | Ars Technica

I'll just watch it go out of support in less than a year.
    10-27-15 01:57 PM
    If Microsoft sold 9.3 million in a /quarter/ last year, and 5.8 million last /quarter/, that alone is already 15.1 million devices. If BlackBerry is out to sell 5 million devices in a /year/, why would they need to surpass Microsoft's market share?

The general public doesn't know about the PRIV because it hasn't launched for the general public yet. Why do you think there's been a general public launch already?

Windows Phone doesn't have a big ecosystem, like BB10. If BlackBerry made another BB10 device and expected a different result, then yeah, no chance, but they're releasing a device with Android, one of the two dominant ecosystems.
    The numbers were referencing the same quarter from the year before, not the whole entire year.
    10-27-15 02:55 PM
    Oh i understand your idea, it's just not relevant to how things work in reality.

you're claiming Blackberry is charging for their modified version of Android
    Considering Blackberry is likely to run stock with a few modified apps providing the Blackberry experience, then that does not ring true.
    Essentially they are doing what Motorola does, and trying to charge twice as much for it.

It has nothing to do with experience or software and everything to do with greed.

Before the high prices were blamed on BB10 costs
    Android will not cost them a thing yet the prices still remain high

Blackberry have once again got it wrong (if those prices remain as they are) and are once again fleecing loyal customers for as much as they can get out of them
    You would be right if all BlackBerry was offering was stock Android with a few modified apps but that is not that Priv is.

All I can say to you and others who feel the same way is this : don't buy the Priv. Buy something else.

The market has a way of making supply equal demand. We'll see what hapeens.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 03:12 PM
    Oh wait till the price in India is announced

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 05:26 PM
    I like it!

Privthority = Priv + Authority. Short name Priv! So Priv it is for you mr Ambassador. Will it be cash or charge?

While I am at it, how about you mr HelloNuman? One Priv for you?
    10-27-15 11:28 PM
    Privthority = Priv + Authority. Short name Priv! So Priv it is for you mr Ambassador. Will it be cash or charge?

While I am at it, how about you mr HelloNuman? One Priv for you?
    Ah don't worry about that, it's inevitable I'll buy one. I've already talked a few folks at work into getting it too - and the CEO where I work is excited to get one at release. It isn't always doom and gloom

10-28-15 12:34 AM
    You would be right if all BlackBerry was offering was stock Android with a few modified apps but that is not that Priv is.

All I can say to you and others who feel the same way is this : don't buy the Priv. Buy something else.

The market has a way of making supply equal demand. We'll see what hapeens.

Posted via CB10
    That's pretty much what it is.
    Yes it's more secure, but to the consumer all they will see is a stock experience with a few apps
    Since there has been no actual real major abuse of consumers on Android that i can recall, asking them to pay extra for the Security is pretty much asking them to pay for Candy Insurance.

I'd agree with your sentiments IF there had been a major attack on Android for real that Blackberry could then use to champion their product, but as it is they are asking people to pay extra for security just because, which is no different to what they have been doing for how many years now and that hasnt worked.

Dont get me wrong, I want this phone to succeed. But it's the Z10 all over again
    10-28-15 04:11 AM
    What iPhone sell for $1100? (Factory Unlocked) iPhone prices direct from Apple, in USD are as followed:

iPhone 5S -16GB- $449.00 | $15.00/mo.
    iPhone 5S -32GB- $499.00 | $16.64/mo.

iPhone 6 -16Gb- $549.00 | $27.45/mo.
    iPhone 6 -64GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.

iPhone 6 Plus -16GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.
    iPhone 6 Plus -64GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.

iPhone 6S -16GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S -64GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S -128GB- $849.00 | $42.45/mo.

iPhone 6S Plus -16GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S Plus -64GB- $849.00 | $42.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S Plus -128GB- $949.00 | $47.45/mo.

r.
    My god this post almost made me puke like a sickness thats always been obvious but you just shoved it in our faces. If you know anything about memory chips and their prices...or maybe you have noticed you cant have a SD card slot.
    The blatant premium for memory here is a complete and utter insult to everyone who reads this list and of-course more to the people who buy and are limited by these products. ******* sick on so many levels.
    10-29-15 08:49 PM
    What iPhone sell for $1100? (Factory Unlocked) iPhone prices direct from Apple, in USD are as followed:

iPhone 5S -16GB- $449.00 | $15.00/mo.
    iPhone 5S -32GB- $499.00 | $16.64/mo.

iPhone 6 -16Gb- $549.00 | $27.45/mo.
    iPhone 6 -64GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.

iPhone 6 Plus -16GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.
    iPhone 6 Plus -64GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.

iPhone 6S -16GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S -64GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S -128GB- $849.00 | $42.45/mo.

iPhone 6S Plus -16GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S Plus -64GB- $849.00 | $42.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S Plus -128GB- $949.00 | $47.45/mo.

Only ONE iPhone model sell for anything close to $1000 (iPhone 6S Plus 128GB, $1009.26 after tax) and it isn't even the most popular iPhone model. Apple has lots of price points available, and this is one of the many reasons why hundreds of millions of iPhone are sold each year. A majority of smartphones sold worldwide are not carrier subsidized, only in the United States do carriers subsidizes phones, and Apple sells a whole lot of iPhones outside of US, the bulk of those sales being unsubsidized. Yet despite this fact, Apple smartphone business continues to smash through sales records year after year.
    Don't know where you get your facts but in Canada where I live the major carriers offer subsidized devices, my brother in-law lives in the UK and his carrier offers subsidized devices such that he is able to get a new device once a year if he chooses to do so. The price for a 6s+ 16gb off contract costs $1054.99 CAD not including taxes the 64gb goes for $1194.99 CAD again not including taxes, the 128gb is $1334.99 CAD!
    BGRS likes this.
    10-30-15 12:06 PM
145 ... 456