Yes. Priv is expensive.

But what no one is really focusing on is that while this may be an Android phone, it is not just a vanilla Android Phone. What things like the Device Simulator make clear is that Priv is providing a unique experience. It's not just an android phone with a keyboard. BlackBerry has integrated it's own view of mobile communications into Android. It's not just Touchwiz or something like it that adds no value. BlackBerry is adding real value to the vanilla Android experience. It's something you can't get anywhere else. So, if you want the power that Hub gives you, you're going to have to pay for it. Sorry. Save up. Like all phones, the price will come down over time. But, stop saying this phone is DOA because of the price. You're comparing it to phones that don't offer what Priv does.

Posted via CB10

I absolutely agree with all your comments. Everybody seems to say all good about Apple and their iPhones but, as you've pointed out, they're just the same but faster. Same bland menus, same operating system that personally I find boring.

It comes down to this, we can all spend years of our life on here talking about bloody iPhone and making reference to how some people think it's better than Blackberry but the simple answer is: An iPhone is a toy and a Blackberry is a tool to get things done
    10-26-15 01:22 PM
    Technically only two smartphone OS'es: BB10 and Android. BBOS was already in existence. PlayBook OS wasn't for smartphones.
    Doesn't matter if BBOS existed.... in 2011 (and even 2012) that's what most enterprise customers knew. The "few" that moved over to BB10 have only been using it for a couple of years, and now BlackBerry has basically put an expiration date on it. So for some enterprise customer there hasn't been much stability.

BlackBerry has been hording cash. This gives them financial stability, which means they're not just going to go under overnight, if that's what Enterprise is worried about. That's the reason for the cash horde. (If you've followed Apple along, they were in financial straits until Jobs came back. He directed them to horde cash so that they wouldn't end up where they had been before.)
    Cash gives them time.... it doesn't give them financial stability. Or BBRY investors would respond much differently than they have, same concerns that are keeping the stock down, might just affect a CFO's decision to approve a large contract that involved BlackBerry products.

Add in that this is a BETA product.... pickup will be slow for enterprise.

Personally I think the hording will continue.... I think in six months many here will complain how if only BlackBerry had spend more on marketing, training and carrier co-op.... that the PRIV would have been a success. But I think Chen's goal is software and right now the time that money can buy is very much needed.

They haven't gone consumer. The volumes they're expecting are not consumer levels.
    BlackPhone and KNOX... they aren't something you walk into your local carrier store and buy. I know BlackBerry's focus is on enterprise, but I think with the volumes they're expecting there is no way they'll get there over the next year without consumers. Thus there is a BIG level of consumer focus.
    KermEd and dejanh like this.
    10-26-15 01:34 PM
    ...BlackPhone and KNOX... they aren't something you walk into your local carrier store and buy. I know BlackBerry's focus is on enterprise, but I think with the volumes they're expecting there is no way they'll get there over the next year without consumers. Thus there is a BIG level of consumer focus.
    Preach.

Also keep in mind that there just isn't a 5M-6M market for high end phones. Even Lumias are having a hard time.

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-26-15 01:41 PM
    What makes this article good? It appeals to a segment looking for clear confirmation-bias. There is nothing scientific nor statistically sound about the comparisons presented . It's a personal opinion, nothing more, and nothing less.
    As is your reply.
    10-26-15 01:55 PM
    What you and everyone here complaining about the price are missing is that unfortunately BlackBerry is not after your business, Chen recently was quoted saying they're focusing on the high end market they cannot compete in the mid to low range market. Priv will sell to those who can afford the device but mostly to those in the enterprise market

Posted via CB10
    The most difficult market is high end, where most of Samsung, Apple, Sony and LG money goes. Marketing bugets from all major OEMs go to high end. And most of us are here because BB10 not android.
    10-26-15 01:56 PM
    Doesn't matter if BBOS existed.... in 2011 (and even 2012) that's what most enterprise customers knew. The "few" that moved over to BB10 have only been using it for a couple of years, and now BlackBerry has basically put an expiration date on it. So for some enterprise customer there hasn't been much stability.
    You completely skipped over the part where Enterprise asked BlackBerry for Android so they can get the apps they want. It's not a terrible move from BB10 to Android if Enterprise essentially asked for it.

For BlackBerry to be on good graces with Enterprise customers, they just need to guarantee a controlled end to the product, which could involve a guarantee of X years of support and/or discounted to free devices to convert over to Android. For BlackBerry, the money is in the continued software/services contracts.

Cash gives them time.... it doesn't give them financial stability. Or BBRY investors would respond much differently than they have, same concerns that are keeping the stock down, might just affect a CFO's decision to approve a large contract that involved BlackBerry products.
    Stock price bares no relation to a company's well being. Again, the cash horde means that BlackBerry won't just disappear overnight. Enterprise wants predictability.

Add in that this is a BETA product.... pickup will be slow for enterprise.
    How is it anymore of a beta product compared to any new product any company has ever released? Apple adds "3D Touch", does that make every iPhone 6s/6s+ a beta product? Microsoft releases the Surface Book, which they *announce* as their first laptop... a beta product?

Personally I think the hording will continue.... I think in six months many here will complain how if only BlackBerry had spend more on marketing, training and carrier co-op.... that the PRIV would have been a success. But I think Chen's goal is software and right now the time that money can buy is very much needed.
    We'll know how extensive advertising and support from carriers will be pretty soon...

BlackPhone and KNOX... they aren't something you walk into your local carrier store and buy. I know BlackBerry's focus is on enterprise, but I think with the volumes they're expecting there is no way they'll get there over the next year without consumers. Thus there is a BIG level of consumer focus.
    It'll be interesting to see what percentage of sales will be from consumers and how much general advertising there will be versus marketing to Enterprise...
    10-26-15 02:17 PM
    Yes. Priv is expensive.

But what no one is really focusing on is that while this may be an Android phone, it is not just a vanilla Android Phone. What things like the Device Simulator make clear is that Priv is providing a unique experience. It's not just an android phone with a keyboard. BlackBerry has integrated it's own view of mobile communications into Android. It's not just Touchwiz or something like it that adds no value. BlackBerry is adding real value to the vanilla Android experience. It's something you can't get anywhere else. So, if you want the power that Hub gives you, you're going to have to pay for it. Sorry. Save up. Like all phones, the price will come down over time. But, stop saying this phone is DOA because of the price. You're comparing it to phones that don't offer what Priv does.

Posted via CB10
    There are four things people care about when buying a phone : name: price: apps: specs.

Name. Most think BlackBerry is dead.
    Price. BlackBerry prices are not an incentive to buy one.
    Apps. Most people think BlackBerry is dead or dying so they have no idea they run Android. Apps.
    Specs. Specs are a selling feature. If BlackBerry has the same or less than specs of others it's at a disadvantage.

If BlackBerry cares about market share they should have sold the Z10 at loss to hold market share, thereby creating or holding onto loyalty. Instead they still have a desire to turn a profit on phones. At this point they've proven time and again they can't. They need to break even or take a loss and hope for converts and back this up with massive marketing.

Posted via CB10
    BGRS likes this.
    10-26-15 02:20 PM
    Also keep in mind that there just isn't a 5M-6M market for high end phones. Even Lumias are having a hard time.

The bad news, although hardly surprising is the Lumia line of Windows Phones. Microsoft got pulverized with a 54% decline in phone revenue compared to the same quarter last year. That translates into just 5.8 million Lumias sold last quarter versus 9.3 million the year earlier.
    This doesn't say that there's a very limited market for high-end phones, just that Windows Phones aren't doing well. The numbers above are for all Windows Phone, not just their high-end devices.

(For those who have been asking for a high-end full touch BB10, if this /did/ indicate that there's a very limited market for high-end devices in general, don't you sound foolish now? Limited sales in high-end, then further limited by number of BB10 users. Double whammy to kill off the hardware division altogether. But don't worry, it's not about good strategy for BlackBerry, but getting what you want. The company could collapse as long as you got that upgrade one last time, right?)
    10-26-15 02:25 PM
    As is your reply.
    Well, not really. Anybody reading that article will see factually that what I have stated is true
    10-26-15 02:47 PM
    By all means go ahead if that's what you want. I want the PKB and for the device to actually work instead of having screen problems all day and waiting for RMA.
    you make it sound like Blackberry is better when you have a problem with your phone and believe me you will have to go thru many handsets before you get one defect free. BB has zero customer service..it is never their fault
    dejanh likes this.
    10-26-15 04:23 PM
    you make it sound like Blackberry is better when you have a problem with your phone and believe me you will have to go thru many handsets before you get one defect free. BB has zero customer service..it is never their fault
    I cannot comment about BlackBerry as I haven't dealt with them at all, but OnePlus' poor QC is well known.
    10-26-15 05:21 PM
    its a 300 dollar phone with contract at most phone, if you want to pay more for it, go right ahead!
    10-26-15 07:50 PM
    This doesn't say that there's a very limited market for high-end phones, just that Windows Phones aren't doing well. The numbers above are for all Windows Phone, not just their high-end devices.

(For those who have been asking for a high-end full touch BB10, if this /did/ indicate that there's a very limited market for high-end devices in general, don't you sound foolish now? Limited sales in high-end, then further limited by number of BB10 users. Double whammy to kill off the hardware division altogether. But don't worry, it's not about good strategy for BlackBerry, but getting what you want. The company could collapse as long as you got that upgrade one last time, right?)
    The point you missed was Blackberry would have to SURPASS Windows Phone in market share to make their mark. Do you see this happening with a phone no one knows about? I don't. If the struggling Windows Phones are losing significant share, Blackberry (who is a nobody in this market) basically has no chance in the handset business.
    10-26-15 08:58 PM
    Prices don't matter, purchases matter. And stats show extremely little in the way of purchases in the high end category. On that note just because iphones are selling in Canada today for 1,000 dollars - does not mean Canadians are buying them (or that they are worth it). Canadians are happy to wait for the dollar to change. I'm in an office of 50 or so, and only 4 or 5 people have newer flagship phones.

Is there a small chance enough enterprise customers are interested in the priv? Maybe, I doubt it. Their Android purchases would have been locked in ages ago and it takes up to a year for enterprise companies to approve new hardware use. But regardless, they are intentionally building and pricing an Android phone in a dangerous low purchase category. I wouldn't say it's far fetched to call the price dangerous *shrug* let alone create a thread to target anyone who raises a caution on the price tag.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    10-26-15 09:11 PM
    The point you missed was Blackberry would have to SURPASS Windows Phone in market share to make their mark. Do you see this happening with a phone no one knows about? I don't. If the struggling Windows Phones are losing significant share, Blackberry (who is a nobody in this market) basically has no chance in the handset business.
    Yeah they won't ever close that gap. Some of the Microsoft high ups I know have told me they have no limit on the budget to maintain that gap.

10-26-15 09:16 PM
    I don't hate the price, I just hate the Canadian dollar right now.
    +1

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 09:19 PM
    The problem is that this phone has a certain level of risk inherently attached to it.

Will BlackBerry be around making hardware? Do they really know how to handle Android? How is there customer service?

All these things are widely known for most other manufacturers.

So, honestly, BlackBerry is taking a risk, the buyer is taking a risk,.. the price should reflect a mutual appreciation of this.

As it, stands, the price makes it clear BlackBerry thinks they are the hottest thing in town and their sh*t has never stunk.

Detached from reality as usual.

Posted via CB10
    Never thought I would see you making this comment!

Another half empty glass of water fan.

PIN 2COF829A
    10-26-15 09:24 PM
    For what it's worth, I'll probably get one anyway . And I am working on a game that will be accessible on Priv and BB10. I'm just saying they are taking a bigger risk than they should have on the pricing, given they want to do this in one shot.

10-27-15 01:00 AM
    (Rubs hands together) I'm patient. I didn't jump on the Z30 bandwagon right way. So, I see no need to do the same for this one.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-27-15 02:18 AM
    Like all phones, the price will come down over time.
    True. When Z10 was released it was a whopping USD 700.
    10-27-15 02:26 AM
    For those who are still on the fence due to the price, a good marketer will say: what is that two bucks a day over a year to worry about and to compare with the joy of having your very own Privilege before anyone else .
    10-27-15 02:40 AM
    If Microsoft sold 9.3 million in a /quarter/ last year, and 5.8 million last /quarter/, that alone is already 15.1 million devices. If BlackBerry is out to sell 5 million devices in a /year/, why would they need to surpass Microsoft's market share?

The general public doesn't know about the PRIV because it hasn't launched for the general public yet. Why do you think there's been a general public launch already?

Windows Phone doesn't have a big ecosystem, like BB10. If BlackBerry made another BB10 device and expected a different result, then yeah, no chance, but they're releasing a device with Android, one of the two dominant ecosystems.
    10-27-15 02:52 AM
    Yes. Priv is expensive.

Posted via CB10
    You realise none of that makes sense
    10-27-15 04:34 AM
    You realise none of that makes sense
    I'm sorry you don't understand it. Plenty of other people here do even if they don't agree with it.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 05:28 AM
    I'm sorry you don't understand it. Plenty of other people here do even if they don't agree with it.

Posted via CB10
    Oh i understand your idea, it's just not relevant to how things work in reality.

you're claiming Blackberry is charging for their modified version of Android
    Considering Blackberry is likely to run stock with a few modified apps providing the Blackberry experience, then that does not ring true.
    Essentially they are doing what Motorola does, and trying to charge twice as much for it.

It has nothing to do with experience or software and everything to do with greed.

Before the high prices were blamed on BB10 costs
    Android will not cost them a thing yet the prices still remain high

Blackberry have once again got it wrong (if those prices remain as they are) and are once again fleecing loyal customers for as much as they can get out of them
    mister2d likes this.
    10-27-15 06:22 AM
145 ... 3456