So you didn't buy a BB10 device......?

I bought a STORM... few months later they release the STORM2 that fixed the memory DEFECT in the STORM1
    I bought a PlayBook.... the apps would eventually come as it would soon be running BB10 - remember back then BB10 was suppose to come that following Fall.
    I bought a Z10 to go with my PlayBook as they would both have the same OS, all the Apps that were coming and eventually Bridge would work even better.

So no some of us haven't just been caught once in the BlackBerry web.....

I will say the PRIV looks to be a very nice device... I just don't have confidence in BLACKBERRY to do the things that would be needed to make it a success.... and thus give it a long useful and fully supported life.
    You my friend, are an optimist!

My limit was the Playbook, though I still have soft spot for it, and my son uses it every day as his browsing machine. He's asked for a Surface Pro for Xmas though, so the PB will finally be retired.

Nope, I didn't buy a BB10 phone. I was going to... then Thor delayed it by 6 months and my Torch broke. I needed a phone and bought a temporary (so I thought at the time) WinPhone to see me through until the Z10 came. Well, it came, and 10.0 was incomplete and buggy... so I passed.

By the time a stable BB10.2.1 was available, I was seriously doubting that BB10, or BB, had a long-term future... So I passed again.

Seems I was right about BB10, and I can't claim any huge confidence in BB's longer term commitment to hardware given Chen repeated statements about BB's Software&Services future.

Even if I liked Android, I wouldn't drop my money at the price being asked for a Priv. I honestly doubt it'll be around that long and, because of the boot security, will be an expensive dead-end for anyone trying to put another OS on to it.

We'll see.
    10-26-15 08:57 AM
    But it's not better then some of its Android equivalents. And that's really what you need to compare the PRIV too. The iPhone is garbage in my personal opinion, what isn't garbage is the marketing and culture that Apple has built to sustain the iPhone's longevity.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    See that's the thing. It's really not. Apple has great marketing, I'll give them that but, you'd be silly to think they don't make sturdy, quality products.

I still think their os is limited but what it does, it does well.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-26-15 09:19 AM
    What you and everyone here complaining about the price are missing is that unfortunately BlackBerry is not after your business, Chen recently was quoted saying they're focusing on the high end market they cannot compete in the mid to low range market. Priv will sell to those who can afford the device but mostly to those in the enterprise market

Posted via CB10
    Ah no I'm not complaining, just stating facts, and keep in mind I do only use flagship high end phones - consult, often work in enterprise, and help companies build their infrastructure - I am their demographic. There was a fascinating article and sales release that clearly showed high end device sales are _dead_ on Android, with major players admitting as much. It doesn't matter what I think or feel about the priv, the category is saturated. And well advertised, we'll spec'ed companies are struggling to sell even a million devices a year in that category.

BlackBerry decided to target and chase a unicorn. It doesn't matter that some of us want to buy it, if they want 5 million in sales for a high end Android phone - the numbers just clearly aren't there in the market they have chosen. I do hope they succeed, but seriously, the numbers say it's a fantasy - and I doubt BlackBerry is capable of doing better than any of the others in the high end market. Historically, they have done a lot worse. They don't know how to market and they don't know how to sell. They have no recipe for success here - you need a lot more than the best or prettiest devices (or BB10 wouldn't be at 0.3% market share)

Some interesting information to read into: http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    10-26-15 10:03 AM
    Hmm, but 799� (880 USD or 1160 CAD) seems pretty pricy to me... would have bought it if it had been 699�, but this is just way over the top.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, don't think the American pricing is the issues, it's the rest of the world. After taxes in Canada your looking at phone that's "nearly" going to set you back 1k.... that's nuts!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 10:15 AM
    Let's hope the smartphone business follows the Canadian election phenomenon and people vote for change without really thinking too hard.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl, dejanh and anon4226395 like this.
    10-26-15 10:21 AM
    Yes. Priv is expensive.

But what no one is really focusing on is that while this may be an Android phone, it is not just a vanilla Android Phone. What things like the Device Simulator make clear is that Priv is providing a unique experience. It's not just an android phone with a keyboard. BlackBerry has integrated it's own view of mobile communications into Android. It's not just Touchwiz or something like it that adds no value. BlackBerry is adding real value to the vanilla Android experience. It's something you can't get anywhere else. So, if you want the power that Hub gives you, you're going to have to pay for it. Sorry. Save up. Like all phones, the price will come down over time. But, stop saying this phone is DOA because of the price. You're comparing it to phones that don't offer what Priv does.

Posted via CB10
    I understand as to why the Priv is $900, I don't think there's much doubt that given the specs it's worth it. The issue for me is can BlackBerry as a brand sell a $900 device? The brand's reputation, although not in tatters, is not where it once was, what do you honestly think is going through Joe Public's mind when he/she sees a BlackBerry with this steep a price point? The Priv is a gorgeous phone, worth every penny of it's cost, but this is not the phone BlackBerry should be selling right now. That phone could be a slider or not, a full touch or not, Android or not, it could be anything but it shouldn't cost any more than $700CDN.
    10-26-15 10:30 AM
    I understand as to why the Priv is $900, I don't think there's much doubt that given the specs it's worth it. The issue for me is can BlackBerry as a brand sell a $900 device? The brand's reputation, although not in tatters, is not where it once was, what do you honestly think is going through Joe Public's mind when he/she sees a BlackBerry with this steep a price point? The Priv is a gorgeous phone, worth every penny of it's cost, but this is not the phone BlackBerry should be selling right now. That phone could be a slider or not, a full touch or not, Android or not, it could be anything but it shouldn't cost any more than $700CDN.
    But with the Canadian dollar as it is, $700 would equate to about $529 USD. You could not build and sell this phone at that price. This number is totally unrealistic.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-26-15 10:49 AM
    Ah no I'm not complaining, just stating facts, and keep in mind I do only use flagship high end phones - consult, often work in enterprise, and help companies build their infrastructure - I am their demographic. There was a fascinating article and sales release that clearly showed high end device sales are _dead_ on Android, with major players admitting as much. It doesn't matter what I think or feel about the priv, the category is saturated. And well advertised, we'll spec'ed companies are struggling to sell even a million devices a year in that category.

BlackBerry decided to target and chase a unicorn. It doesn't matter that some of us want to buy it, if they want 5 million in sales for a high end Android phone - the numbers just clearly aren't there in the market they have chosen. I do hope they succeed, but seriously, the numbers say it's a fantasy - and I doubt BlackBerry is capable of doing better than any of the others in the high end market. Historically, they have done a lot worse. They don't know how to market and they don't know how to sell. They have no recipe for success here - you need a lot more than the best or prettiest devices (or BB10 wouldn't be at 0.3% market share)

Some interesting information to read into: IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    The only recipe is.... the PRIV is a BlackPhone type device that is designed for enterprise and government customers.

It has no place in the consumer market trying to compete with other Android OEMs, where the Keyboard and Security really don't mean anything.

I have to wonder how many consumer would rather have a fingerprint reader than a pop-out keyboard? How many would rather have a waterproof phone than a little extra software security protection?

The problem is they have gone and lost their enterprise market to Apple and the few security specific Android devices like BlackPhone and KNOX... what's left of that niche isn't enough to support BlackBerry. So they are forced to widen their customer base out to consumers... even though they really don't have a product that is designed or priced to compete in the consumer market.

OP if you like the phone features and the price.... buy it. Most of the hate is really a lack of confidence in BlackBerry being able to make the PRIV a success.... not that it's not a bad phone or even a bad price for it. If the keyboard is a feature you want... Samsung charges $80 bucks for theirs, and none of KNOX features are built into their phones. In a way BlackBerry's selling these phones way too cheap.
    KermEd likes this.
    10-26-15 10:50 AM
    Let's hope the smartphone business follows the Canadian election phenomenon and people vote for change without really thinking too hard.

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Well if they can spend trillions they don't have, there's certainly noone stopping the average chump from overpaying for a phone.
    10-26-15 10:56 AM
    Priv has 3 things to prove before I would consider buying one at this price: WIFI, phone signals, and actual results of its camera. These 3 are also my biggest problems with bb10.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    10-26-15 11:13 AM
    But with the Canadian dollar as it is, $700 would equate to about $529 USD. You could not build and sell this phone at that price. This number is totally unrealistic.

I never said they should be building the Priv for $700, just that they should be building "a" phone in the $700 price range. The Priv may well be worth $900 but not as a BlackBerry, it's lost it's brand recognition and trust. Until it gets those 2 things back at least, fielding a $900 device when they can't even sell the Passport for $700, a Classic for $500, or a Leap at $300 is simply a reach.
    10-26-15 11:16 AM
    I never said they should be building the Priv for $700, just that they should be building "a" phone in the $700 price range. The Priv may well be worth $900 but not as a BlackBerry, it's lost it's brand recognition and trust. Until it gets those 2 things back at least, fielding a $900 device when they can't even sell the Passport for $700, a Classic for $500, or a Leap at $300 is simply a reach.
    Well, without the keyboard and the enhanced software (which cost a lot of money and require a premium price - especially for BlackBerry, who don't enjoy the same purchasing power as the other big players), they might as well throw in the towel now. You have to go with what you know. They could never win an outright spec/price war.

MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-26-15 11:34 AM
    Prices from my carrier for the iPhone 6s:
    • 16GB � Outright Purchase � $899.00
    • 64GB � Outright Purchase � $1,029.00

So, the Priv's price isn't all that outrageous. Funny when a person puts things into this context: the last laptop that I bought, more than a year ago, had a 500g hard drive and cost me $550 - and I refuse to pay much more than $500 for a laptop ... hmmmmm - why am I willing to spend so much on a phone?
    10-26-15 11:50 AM
    I'm just curious.

If I wanted to buy in iPhone 6S what with 32GB of storage factory unlocked. How much would it cost.
    Same for a factory unlocked Galaxy S6 Edge and GS6 Edge +?

Yeah the PRIV might be a little weak when compared to a GS6 because that device is a beast with the Exynos processor, but I think the PRIV is on the same level of luxury. I don't think it is really overpriced at $700 USD compared to its competitors.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    How much does a 160Gb S6 Edge cost? Or a 160Gb iphone? 160Gb Priv is about �599. I rest my case.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    10-26-15 12:14 PM
    While I think the BlackPhone should have the been the PRIV's real competition and that BlackBerry should have stayed out of the consumer market.... online orders only. The simple reality of business is that BlackBerry as a company isn't doing well, and that this is there third smartphone OS in less than 3 years... and now BlackBerry has just told them that the Platform they sold them on just in the last two years, is not the future. I just don't "think" enterprise is going to be interested in what BlackBerry is selling. At least not until the company is stable.
    Technically only two smartphone OS'es: BB10 and Android. BBOS was already in existence. PlayBook OS wasn't for smartphones.

It was Enterprise that told BlackBerry to switch from BB10, due to apps. Enterprise probably doesn't have a problem with BlackBerry switching to Android, as long as the security features they've become dependent upon are still there.

BlackBerry has been hording cash. This gives them financial stability, which means they're not just going to go under overnight, if that's what Enterprise is worried about. That's the reason for the cash horde. (If you've followed Apple along, they were in financial straits until Jobs came back. He directed them to horde cash so that they wouldn't end up where they had been before.)

But they have gone consumer... and they have gone Android consumer. Today the PRIV is a little high in comparison to other flagships, two months from now when new flagship start hitting the market... what is BlackBerry going to do then. The Android game is very tough, low margins, short update cycles, specs sell, and you either market a bunch, or you sell really, really cheap.
    They haven't gone consumer. The volumes they're expecting are not consumer levels.
    10-26-15 12:22 PM
    What iPhone sell for $1100? (Factory Unlocked) iPhone prices direct from Apple, in USD are as followed:

iPhone 5S -16GB- $449.00 | $15.00/mo.
    iPhone 5S -32GB- $499.00 | $16.64/mo.

iPhone 6 -16Gb- $549.00 | $27.45/mo.
    iPhone 6 -64GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.

iPhone 6 Plus -16GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.
    iPhone 6 Plus -64GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.

iPhone 6S -16GB- $649.00 | $32.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S -64GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S -128GB- $849.00 | $42.45/mo.

iPhone 6S Plus -16GB- $749.00 | $37.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S Plus -64GB- $849.00 | $42.45/mo.
    iPhone 6S Plus -128GB- $949.00 | $47.45/mo.

Only ONE iPhone model sell for anything close to $1000 (iPhone 6S Plus 128GB, $1009.26 after tax) and it isn't even the most popular iPhone model. Apple has lots of price points available, and this is one of the many reasons why hundreds of millions of iPhone are sold each year. A majority of smartphones sold worldwide are not carrier subsidized, only in the United States do carriers subsidizes phones, and Apple sells a whole lot of iPhones outside of US, the bulk of those sales being unsubsidized. Yet despite this fact, Apple smartphone business continues to smash through sales records year after year.
    Excellent work... except people were talking in CDN. Now, repost in CDN and tell us how many iPhones sell over $1000 CDN.
    10-26-15 12:25 PM
    How much does a 160Gb S6 Edge cost? Or a 160Gb iphone? 160Gb Priv is about �599. I rest my case.

Yes but only one of those devices is a first attempt beta device running new software for the manufacturer who may not be able to support it long term. Almost close to the same thing.

That upcoming apple car must be worth the same as a Bentley when it goes for sale, just so long as it has the same size tires.
    10-26-15 12:27 PM
    Here is a good article comparing features vs pricing: https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230826
    What makes this article good? It appeals to a segment looking for clear confirmation-bias. There is nothing scientific nor statistically sound about the comparisons presented . It's a personal opinion, nothing more, and nothing less.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    10-26-15 12:33 PM
    Jaydee why has a Pkb put off BlackBerry fans? It looks good and it is used as a trackpad as on Passport. I hope it sells, when My contract ends I may get one.

Posted either with my Passport or Q5!
    i will never use a pkb. i want a virtual kb model and BB doesn't intend to sell another one to be a successor to my Z30. That's why i went Android for my daily driver.
    10-26-15 12:43 PM
    I think you need to think this PKB comment through.

Posted via CB10
    why? i don't want one. Neither do the other Z30 owners looking for a successor. That's my opinion.
    10-26-15 12:44 PM
    See her past history about the Z30.
    Thank you
    10-26-15 12:44 PM
    In the US most carriers have switched to a "leasing" model instead of a "subsidized phone" model. And most consumers take advantage of one or the other. I think the percentage of consumers who buy the phones outright is quite small. And $100 extra over 2 years amounts to about $4/month extra...I doubt anyone will even notice or care... except of course for those people who balk at paying 1.99 for an app that they really want!!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 12:47 PM
    Yes but only one of those devices is a first attempt beta device running new software for the manufacturer who may not be able to support it long term. Almost close to the same thing.
    How is it any more a beta device when the other manufactures are also putting in new features for the first time? For the other manufacturers, you're relying upon their previous hardware experience to say it's not beta. BlackBerry has been building hardware for much longer.

The software argument, maybe, but we'll see once people start using it.
    10-26-15 12:48 PM
    why? i don't want one. Neither do the other Z30 owners looking for a successor. That's my opinion.
    Although I'm a big slider fan, I do wish that there was or will be an all touch version of the Priv, if not a bb10 version, so that the product portfolio is more complete and users like yourself can have the form factor you desire. I understand the frustration of not having the form factor you want on the OS that you want. I have wanted and still want a bb10 slider since day one.

10-26-15 01:14 PM
    I absolutely agree with all your comments. Everybody seems to say all good about Apple and their iPhones but, as you've pointed out, they're just the same but faster. Same bland menus, same operating system that personally I find boring.

It comes down to this, we can all spend years of our life on here talking about bloody iPhone and making reference to how some people think it's better than Blackberry but the simple answer is: An iPhone is a toy and a Blackberry is a tool to get things done.
    10-26-15 01:18 PM
145 ... 23456