• Less per quarter than BB10

11 26.83%
  • Same (+/- 100K) per quarter as BB10

6 14.63%
  • More per quarter than BB10

15 36.59%
  • Double or more per quarter than BB10

9 21.95%
    Am I missing something? Can't I not just fire in a supplemental SD card de novo, and forget about the external reader/writer?

P.S. how many operas'tunes etc in a 100 Gig of music ??
    10-19-15 10:52 PM
    Fair enough. My point is that it's possible and generally simple for Android flagships without built-in slots to use external storage, so the slot isn't something that I consider to be a high-value differentiator.
    Okay, so we will just disagree about the usefulness of that. I want my stored media and data available at all times, and I can't imagine having an external reader hanging from my phone all the time...lol
    I'll except that it works for you, but I'm doubting it is a great solution for most.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-19-15 10:54 PM
    Your post estimates double sales by dropping price by $200. If you spreadsheeted that, can you crunch some profit numbers if the BOM was $250? Which is more profitable?
    Depends on which extreme, if either, was met in each scenario. A major factor in calculating estimates in decreasing per-unit cost, especially in such a discretionary item as a mobile phone, is that decreasing per-unit cost at point of sale produces ever-increasing ranges of sales based on increased incidence of impulse buys and defectors, either from BB10 or from another maker in the Android ecosystem (as I consider any defection from iOS to probably be negligible). That said, presuming that sales met the upper end of my projection at the presumptive MSRP, and only the lower end of my project at the -$200 price, it seems that the former only outperforms the latter by a slim margin simply on account of increased volume at the lower price point.
    anon4226395 and BCITMike like this.
    10-19-15 11:07 PM
    I have an IPAQ which has internal memory limitations beCause it is such a capable device... someone made a thing called SILVER SLIDER that slid on the back & inserted a plug into the nottomslot & accepted a memory card... was great...maybe a case with a plug into the microUSB (hopefully with a pass-thru feature) could be stitched into a case with a memory chip & even a tesla battery !!

What bugs . Is nobody has figured out a way to make the SIM dual function as memory...
    10-19-15 11:09 PM
    At the risk of being banned like on BERRYFLOW, if they loaded one with BB10 I would buy it.
    10-19-15 11:34 PM
    Sometimes price drops don't stimulate sales... there are examples of product relaunches at higher set with increased sales... consumers are fickle...certain low end products will not sell in dollar stores but fly off the shelves for double that at big box stores...
    10-19-15 11:57 PM
    Ha... never heard of berryflow... just posted some drivel on there to attempt to get banned on my first comment...

At the risk of being banned like on BERRYFLOW, if they loaded one with BB10 I would buy it.
    10-20-15 12:00 AM
    It's a pretty meaningless statement to me right now. We will see.

Posted via CB10
    We've seen this a lot over the years with the also-rans - Microsoft did it (and is doing it at the moment with the 950, 950xl), Palm did it and it happened with one BB10 device but I cannot think which one.
    10-20-15 01:34 AM
    But not for �579, average Joe will add few more quids and will buy IPHONE

Posted via CB10
    Agree, but more likely is average Joe will *save* a few quid and buy a Samsung Edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-20-15 07:26 AM
    I am hoping a lot...

Fortunately it can appeal to both BlackBerry users as well as Android. So maybe there is some hope there.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 07:33 AM
    It will outsell bb10 as long as they don't price it at stupid levels.

Posted via CB10
    Oh... Wait...

To be serious though, if the CB forums are to be believed, many BB diehards plan to buy the Priv at *any* price. And a stupidly high price might not even deter casual (wealthy) non-BB folk wanting something different than the typical Android slab.

Guess we'll see how sizeable those groups are, soon.

I still believe that those two groups, plus the residual BB10 holdouts (possibly buying a spare Passport while they still can), and the BBOS refuseniks (bless their unrepentant ways ) will together give BB some good quarterly device sales numbers ... I just don't believe it'll be sustainable beyond that first quarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-20-15 07:40 AM
    I was the first to bash the material and the speaker grill but after seeing it in person I'm a believer! It speaks quality, comfort, premium android experience. It's not just android actually..most gestures, if not all, r still in place...if u ask me, they might be better than bb10. I have a passport which I think feels like plastic but Priv is unlike anything I seen from blackberry. Finally they got their act right in terms of design...now it's upto marketing to make this product a success. So far I think they're hell bent on making it a failure..lets see if they improve their game in next few weeks.

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 and MO3iusONE like this.
    10-20-15 08:19 AM
    The LG G4 (full screen Android slab without PKB, based on the same SoC and with a similarly-sized screen, but less expensive) has great reviews and is selling at around 2.5 million devices per quarter. The Samsung Galaxy line sells at 10 times that.

The problem with Android: its a commodity now, even on high end devices, and to a large degree, "Samsung = Android".

But the Slider has a serious competitive avantage with the Keyboard (the security stuff will tip the scales for some, but not many).

I predict that BB will sell more than the 5 million devices they need to in the first calendar year: lots will be on subsidy where the user will only have to pay $200 or $300 on a 2 year contract.

I have to say this in every post: Android devices WITH physical home buttons sell better than ones without, year after year, despite Google's efforts to design the "navigation buttons" into the on-screen UX, people want a physical button to hammer when they get flustered so they can get back to the home screen. If BlackBerry wants to SUCCEED in handset sales, they'll get out of their "no physical buttons" ivory tower and put a damn home button on an Android device and see what happens. I predict what would be happen would be "improved sales".
    10-20-15 09:25 AM
    My comments here are largely only related to the U.S. market as that all I am familiar with.

I believe the Priv will easily hit the 5 million mark in the U.S. alone. For one, there were roughly 180M smartphones sold in the U.S. alone "this" year and that number is expected to be even higher for 2016 not only for the U.S. but for every market across the globe. Of that 180M, 5M is only 2.7% of total U.S. marketshare. Currently, BlackBerry has ~1.2% of the U.S. market and that is with a combination of sales from both the archaic BBOS7 and "failed" BB10.

Then again, Android commands just over 50% of the U.S. market, so roughly just over 60M phones. If we assume a straight 50% that would put the Priv's 5M sales at ~8.2% of U.S. market, or nearly square with LGs ~8.4% of U.S. market. Now of course this figure is for all LG phones sold in the U.S., so obviously the Priv would have to at least match all LG sales total. From this perspective it seems iffy but still doable.

Other factors to consider:

In the U.S. Android and iOS split the market nearly 50/50; with Android being just above and iOS just below. The remaining few percentage going to BB10, Windows Phone, and "other" is rather small here. The Priv is not going to ship with some strange, obscure, dead, dinosaur OS with only a handful of apps with an even smaller number of known users. It is shipping with Android and that right there is going to make the Priv immediately relevant to U.S. consumers.

Don't underestimate the security factor. Keeping this on topic, security is a big deal to the average American and privacy even more so. Yeah, many are lazy but they are only lazy because that security/privacy is assumed. The typical American just assumes that if they make a banking transaction or store passwords on their phones that the data is safe. It is an Americanism that really only makes sense if you were born and raised here but we are definitely a Get off my lawn! country. It's okay to spy on the bad guys but you better not spy on me.

The Priv is a true flagship all around. Yeah, some have been picking at the "lack" of this spec or that but overall no other phone on the market is going to match the Priv overall. Many U.S. media outlets have been reporting that the Priv's main competition is going to be the iPhone 6S, which is a heavy assumption to make, but there it is. The Priv is not going up against Samsung here, but the iPhone and the Priv is looking to be perhaps the only Android device in the U.S. market that can match the "cool factor" of the iPhone.

BlackBerry is finally getting it right by releasing the Priv before Christmas. Not sure about in other countries but here in the U.S. anyone who announces a new product well in advance of Dec. 25th only to deliver after Jan. 1st can expect nothing more than to pick up the scraps. Well, unless you are Apple, of course.

Now, with all of that, and considering the global market for smart phones in 2016 is expected to be over 1.5B sales, it is going to be very easy for BlackBerry to move at least 5M units.
    Last edited by crucial bbq; 10-20-15 at 09:53 AM.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-20-15 09:33 AM
    If BlackBerry wants to SUCCEED in handset sales, they'll get out of their "no physical buttons" ivory tower and put a damn home button on an Android device and see what happens. I predict what would be happen would be "improved sales".
    Perhaps this is why the Classic is the best selling BB10 phone? Or perhaps it is the fact that the Classic is the only BB10 phone sold by all carriers?

Which brings me to another point that I missed in my point above:

Outside of Verizon's own branded Droids, you got to get the phone into the main four U.S. carriers: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mo, and Sprint. It would also help to get on smaller networks like U.S. Cellular and Credo and into the budget carriers MetroPCS, Cricket, Boost, etc.

It certainly hurt BB10 sales by having the Passport only on AT&T and the Z30 on Verizon. Keep in mind the U.S. is not quite at the "buy the phone first/get the SIM card second" stage. It is still typical around here to select the carrier first then get the best phone that suits your needs from that particular store. That is how iPhone, Samsung, and to a lesser extent LG came to dominate here; they are the only vendors that can be found in every outlet around the U.S.
    10-20-15 09:53 AM
    My comments here are largely only related to the U.S. market as that all I am familiar with.

Now, with all of that, and considering the global market for smart phones in 2016 is expected to be over 1.5B sales, it is going to be very easy for BlackBerry to move at least 5M units.
    Heard the same argument when the Z10 was released and everyone was arguing about if it alone would or wouldn't sell 20 million in the first year.....

The success of other manufactures, or Android in general has NOTHING to do with BlackBerry's potential to capture a small percentage of the market.

Price
    Hardware
    Features
    Marketing
    Brand
    Performance

Get these "just right" and you can have a hit, get them wrong and you've got a dud on your hands.

So far the more I "hear" or "don't hear".... the less I like the odd of the PRIV breaking 1 Million in sales. Much less 5 Million....
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-20-15 10:23 AM
    Heard the same argument when the Z10 was released and everyone was arguing about if it alone would or wouldn't sell 20 million in the first year.....

The success of other manufactures, or Android in general has NOTHING to do with BlackBerry's potential to capture a small percentage of the market.

Price
    Hardware
    Features
    Marketing
    Brand
    Performance

Get these "just right" and you can have a hit, get them wrong and you've got a dud on your hands.

So far the more I "hear" or "don't hear".... the less I like the odd of the PRIV breaking 1 Million in sales. Much less 5 Million....
    Yes - I don't quite understand why people refer to the total size of the android market (which includes a lot of Chinese oddities that aren't really available to first world mass markets):

The market for this is people who will pay top dollar AND want a hard keyboard - we have figures on the first but the second is a segment of the first.

This phone isn't trying to compete against the Moto G.
    10-20-15 10:59 AM
    Yes - I don't quite understand why people refer to the total size of the android market (which includes a lot of Chinese oddities that aren't really available to first world mass markets):

The market for this is people who will pay top dollar AND want a hard keyboard - we have figures on the first but the second is a segment of the first.

This phone isn't trying to compete against the Moto G.
    Good point, but if you look at current data from IDC IDC: Smartphone Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 it shows apple/samsung taking 35% of world sales currently vs all other manufacturers. Assuming the samsung and apple products are high end, and no other manufacturer builds a high end phone, that's still a market of >500,000,000 high end phones, of which BB needs to capture <1%
    10-20-15 11:30 AM
    Good point, but if you look at current data from IDC IDC: Smartphone Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 it shows apple/samsung taking 35% of world sales currently vs all other manufacturers. Assuming the samsung and apple products are high end, and no other manufacturer builds a high end phone, that's still a market of >500,000,000 high end phones, of which BB needs to capture <1%
    Again... what does that have to do with ANY manufacturers ability to capture a portion of that market? Just because the market exist, doesn't meany that you can automatically claim a portion of it.

Also Samsung sell by far more of their lower end phones...

A glance at the IDC phone shipments data (courtesy of IDC analyst Tom Mainelli) tell the tale. In the Q1 2014 Android devices costing $600 or greater made up 9.1 percent of the worldwide shipment volume.
    So your pie is smaller than you are assuming....
    Plus with OnePlus2 and the Moto X Style having $600 smartphone specs for $300 or $400.... along with Samsung admitting that they are "adjusting" prices due to weaker than expected sales of their flagship devices. I don't think this is an easy market to break into.....
    JeepBB and anon4226395 like this.
    10-20-15 11:46 AM
    I would say total sales of the BlackBerry Priv world wide would be at best 500,000 to 800,000 over the next year.

Most people are of the opinion that "who would want to be caught dead with a BlackBerry phone". Those who don't care would stick to their BlackBerry 10 devices. Since BlackBerry 10 devices will be end of life, the BlackBerry die hards might be moving to other Android or iOS devices.

To most people who are not Crackberry fan site users, BlackBerry is already running Android. In this case a BlackBerry Priv is of no added value to the phone. Just added embarrassment.

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    10-20-15 12:38 PM
    Below expectation. Unless they are serious and start putting display working priv in stores for a year, not just for a few weeks. People need to know BlackBerry is not dead. Plain simple.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:43 PM
    I would say total sales of the BlackBerry Priv world wide would be at best 500,000 to 800,000 over the next year.

Most people are of the opinion that "who would want to be caught dead with a BlackBerry phone". Those who don't care would stick to their BlackBerry 10 devices. Since BlackBerry 10 devices will be end of life, the BlackBerry die hards might be moving to other Android or iOS devices.

To most people who are not Crackberry fan site users, BlackBerry is already running Android. In this case a BlackBerry Priv is of no added value to the phone. Just added embarrassment.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you should try meeting some new friends?
    10-20-15 12:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    It won't be that much.

500k to 800k is the estimated one year sales of the Passport, whose only advantage is the form factor, which is pretty close to ideal. (Ergonomically and aesthetically ideal form factor is 144x89 mm.)

The Priv has completely ruined that advantage. So, I don't think it can sell as much as the Passport.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    10-20-15 01:26 PM
    It won't be that much.

500k to 800k is the estimated one year sales of the Passport, whose only advantage is the form factor, which is pretty close to ideal. (Ergonomically and aesthetically ideal form factor is 144x89 mm.)

The Priv has completely ruined that advantage. So, I don't think it can sell as much as the Passport.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    I don't think many people here have a clue on what the factors are.

Unless the passport ran android, it's a irrelevant.

Anyone here with 10+ years experience in sales and marketing who can enlighten the key factors?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 04:16 PM
    I don't think many people here have a clue on what the factors are.

Unless the passport ran android, it's a irrelevant.

Anyone here with 10+ years experience in sales and marketing who can enlighten the key factors?

Posted via CB10
    Well since I've got 15 years of sales experience let me tell you what I think. The factors are ;

1. The appeal of the phone to a consumer. This is if someone is attracted to a device & will like to own it. The BlackBerry name itself will deter most people away let alone look at it.

2. The Status symbol of holding a BlackBerry phone. To most people who are not enthusiasts will not bother to find out if BlackBerry is running Android or not. I would dare to say at least 60% of consumers out there still think able BlackBerry as a legacy device. The remaining 35% would think that BlackBerry is an Android device. Then the last 5% are those here or they know that BlackBerry is now a Morden smartphone.

So if they want a smartphone they would go for a Morden smartphone like any iPhone or Android phone.

3. Peer pressure will tell people not to buy or look at a BlackBerry.

4. If those who want to buy a BlackBerry they would buy a BlackBerry 10 phone and a small number will go for the Priv.

5. Priv hardware spec's are not really officially out yet so we don't really know if it is competitive like having a Snapdragon 810 Octacore processor, 4GB RAM, minimum 32GB on board memory, micro SD support to 128 GB, 16 mega pixel back camera, 8 mega pixel front camera, etc..

If it is then it might just appeal to those who are looking at trying out new spec's phones. If not then it's just not good enough.

6. Price point is a little too high to compete. If the price is going to be USD 500 or USD 600 it's going to be targeted at a niche market. My friend just bought an Asus for his wife & it's got a Quad core processor, 4GB RAM, 128 GB on board memory and a fantastic camera which I forgot how many mega pixel with micro SD support all this for approximately USD 200 unlocked & free from contract.

7. BlackBerry do not have sufficient marketing dollars to market against the small Chinese brands that has almost as high spec's at 1/3 the cost of the BlackBerry Priv. As a consumer which device would you choose?

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn likes this.
    10-20-15 09:26 PM
103 ... 2345