• Less per quarter than BB10

11 26.83%
  • Same (+/- 100K) per quarter as BB10

6 14.63%
  • More per quarter than BB10

15 36.59%
  • Double or more per quarter than BB10

9 21.95%
    They don't actually claim to have an exclusive but they want to give the impression that they do. That way, they get the orders now and people don't wait to get it from someplace else later.

Posted via CB10
    Yes they actually say "only at carphone warehouse" which is generally code for "the carriers might pick it up if its sells".
    10-19-15 12:53 PM
    Any time a product is mentioned, it is advertising, negative or positive.
    10-19-15 01:31 PM
    Yes they actually say "only at carphone warehouse" which is generally code for "the carriers might pick it up if its sells".
    It's a pretty meaningless statement to me right now. We will see.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 01:36 PM
    I'm pretty confident the Priv is going to quite significantly outsell BB10.

Personally, I think if the phone is fairly well advertised aswell as being supported by the carriers (for example most UK phone shops nowadays don't even have a single BlackBerry device on show) then people will like it. I struggle to see what isn't to like myself.

The specs for this phone are pretty amazing, its a high-end all touch to those who want one, a slider to those who want a keyboard and its both to everyone in between. It runs Android which means an abundance of apps, it's got an impressive camera, should have top security and already (based on Carphone Warehouse price) is cheaper than some of the other flagship's on the market.

If the average consumer can get over the fact that its a BlackBerry, then I'm confident they'd buy it.
    Specs are good.... but they are not amazing.
    Camera impressive... compared to what? Old BB10 devices? Many today are more interested in the front camera... and that is way under the MP of most of those other Flagships.
    Cheaper than some of the other flagship's on the market.... maybe the ones with the bigger screens and faster processors.

If someone wants a smartphone with a keyboard, and is willing to pay extra for it.... they will look at the PRIV. But the average consumers.... I'm confident they aren't even going to give it a second look after seen the price.

Never mind if there are any performance issues with the Slider mechanism or with the software components that BlackBerry had a hand in..... really need to wait and see some reviews and benchmarks to know where the PRIV really rates as a device. Bunch of positive reviews and it might get "some" traction. Bunch of so-so reviews due to beta software and it won't take Chen nine weeks to figure out the PRIV isn't going to sell 5 Million.
    10-19-15 01:40 PM
    When comparing prices (and we don't know exact figures yet for different regions) remember that you will be paying a premium for 64G and 128G "flagships" that do not offer expandable storage. 32G is fairly constrained these days (it sure wouldn't work for me). You can add 64G external to the Priv's 32G internal for about $20. Honestly, I don't think I would even consider a "flagship" without expandable memory - or else I would shell out for the biggest one. We all KNOW you will eventually want more storage down the road than what you have if you skimp at purchase.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 01:49 PM
    If it does outsell BB10, I don't think it will do so by any significant margin.
    However, that in itself would make the device a success.
    It will outsell bb10 as long as they don't price it at stupid levels.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 02:02 PM
    So clearly CPW do not have an exclusive on priv as they claim
    Not an exclusive, they are just the first retailer in the UK to be able to sell it. My guess is that the first shipment to the UK is going to them. They are correct at the moment in their statement. The unlocked mobiles page is just a placeholder that says it's coming soon. CPW usually get new handsets over here before anyone else by a few days.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    10-19-15 02:07 PM
    No analysis of high end market?
    No numbers for existing android high end sales?
    Etc..

Are you guys wanting to guess or to predict?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 04:02 PM
    This device has huge potential: BlackBerry has patented software concepts and hardware that is not being licensed to other vendors that are a competitive advantage for BlackBerry.

The Keyboard alone is going to bring a lot of users back to BlackBerry hardware, but there's one thing that concerns me:

Will DTEK backfire? I mean, most Android users are blithely using Android and oblivious to how much private data and tracking information is being sent to various advertising and big-data companies, and to Google itself. Will DTEK expose this in a manner that makes users balk? If it does its job properly (blocking unwanted data transmission) will apps not work, putting BlackBerry back in a marginalized "my favourite apps don't work on BlackBerry devices" position?

Let's find out! This should be FUN!
    10-19-15 04:16 PM
    Fun for me as an observer... I will NOT shell out 7 benjamins as a guinea pig... there are enough fanboys right here to do that dirty job for me...
    10-19-15 04:21 PM
    I'm pretty confident the Priv is going to quite significantly outsell BB10.

Personally, I think if the phone is fairly well advertised aswell as being supported by the carriers (for example most UK phone shops nowadays don't even have a single BlackBerry device on show) then people will like it. I struggle to see what isn't to like myself.

The specs for this phone are pretty amazing, its a high-end all touch to those who want one, a slider to those who want a keyboard and its both to everyone in between. It runs Android which means an abundance of apps, it's got an impressive camera, should have top security and already (based on Carphone Warehouse price) is cheaper than some of the other flagship's on the market.

If the average consumer can get over the fact that its a BlackBerry, then I'm confident they'd buy it.
    But not for �579, average Joe will add few more quids and will buy IPHONE

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 05:54 PM
    Since a there was no price point specified in the poll, I operated from the point of it being that of the newest leak of $880, based on two sources, one of which is a primary distributer, and assuming that price remains static for the first year of launch, I'm projecting:

Q1 (encompassing launch, Black Friday and Christmas): 750 - 900k
    Q2: 450 - 550k
    Q3: 200 - 250k
    Q4: 150 - 200;
    Total fiscal 2016: 1.55 - 1.9mn

A decrease in price of $100 will increase that number to 2.5 - 2.6mn proportionally over the fiscal year, $200 decrease to 2.9 - 3.2mn, $300 (or to roughly $599 as a selling price), 3.7 - 4.2mn. Just based on the brand positioning of BBRY, the lack of high-value differentiators in the broader consumer market, and the probability of the cross-platform Experience Suite releasing during FY2016. Just spitballing, of course, I could well be wrong.
    10-19-15 08:38 PM
    When comparing prices (and we don't know exact figures yet for different regions) remember that you will be paying a premium for 64G and 128G "flagships" that do not offer expandable storage. 32G is fairly constrained these days (it sure wouldn't work for me). You can add 64G external to the Priv's 32G internal for about $20. Honestly, I don't think I would even consider a "flagship" without expandable memory - or else I would shell out for the biggest one. We all KNOW you will eventually want more storage down the road than what you have if you skimp at purchase.

Posted via CB10
    That justification doesn't fly any longer, at least not on the Android side, now that Marshmallow has built-in support for SD card readers that not only allow for expandable storage but also permit using SD cards as slaved drives via an extensible filesystem mechanism that permits the safe running of apps. Granted it's something that the Priv will have as well, but it's no longer a differentiator of value.
    10-19-15 08:50 PM
    I need a little tech lesson here. I have an android 4.03 tablet with 8gb on board & a 32gb microSDHC on which reside most of the apps I have on it & the latter run just fine off the card. One frustration with my BlackBerry Passport is the inability to run Android from th card freeing up the phone space. I haven't run into a problem sending documents & photos to the card...

So what does marshmallow bring to this, exactly ??

That justification doesn't fly any longer, at least not on the Android side, now that Marshmallow has built-in support for SD card readers that not only allow for expandable storage but also permit using SD cards as slaved drives via an extensible filesystem mechanism that permits the safe running of apps. Granted it's something that the Priv will have as well, but it's no longer a differentiator of value.
    10-19-15 09:15 PM
    Given that, I wonder about the possibility of meager sales. What price drop tranche would be the tipping point for BlackBerry to discontinue production of the Priv? Any ideas...

Since a there was no price point specified in the poll, I operated from the point of it being that of the newest leak of $880, based on two sources, one of which is a primary distributer, and assuming that price remains static for the first year of launch, I'm projecting:

A decrease in price of $100 will increase that number to 2.5 - 2.6mn proportionally over the fiscal year, $200 decrease to 2.9 - 3.2mn, $300 (or to roughly $599 as a selling price), 3.7 - 4.2mn. Just based on the brand positioning of BBRY, the lack of high-value differentiators in the broader consumer market, and the probability of the cross-platform Experience Suite releasing during FY2016. Just spitballing, of course, I could well be wrong.
    10-19-15 09:21 PM
    Sorry, I don't get what you are saying. If there is no SD card slot, are you referring to an external reader?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 09:28 PM
    Sorry, I don't get what you are saying. If there is no SD card slot, are you referring to an external reader?

Posted via CB10
    Of course, there are a plethora of cheap SD card readers for Android devices. Granted that's an extra step but the so is fishing a SIM ejection tool from your pocket to change the card in the Priv.
    10-19-15 10:31 PM
    Of course, there are a plethora of cheap SD card readers for Android devices. Granted that's an extra step but the so is fishing a SIM ejection tool from your pocket to change the card in the Priv.
    Why would I be fishing for a sim ejection tool (I've never used one). I stick a big SD card in and leave it there. Sorry, not interested in external readers.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 10:36 PM
    Given that, I wonder about the possibility of meager sales. What price drop tranche would be the tipping point for BlackBerry to discontinue production of the Priv? Any ideas...
    That depends entirely on internals to which I am not privy, but I would posit that that depends entirely on BBRY's forward operating plan, i.e. growing their handset user base vs maintain the existing user base whilst growing the enterprise/MDM segment cross platform vs soft landing their hardware division and transitioning to a purely software model.
    10-19-15 10:38 PM
    Can't see my dear old Mum, hunting around her handbag (purse) for her external card read/writer, cuz she wants to bang off a few Gig of hi res video lol
    10-19-15 10:38 PM
    Why would I be fishing for a sim ejection tool (I've never used one). I stick a big SD card in and leave it there. Sorry, not interested in external readers.

Posted via CB10
    Depends on how much media one has. I have nearly 100GB of music alone that I generally keep with me, to say nothing of other sorts of media and other files. I changed cards frequently when I was still using my Z10.
    10-19-15 10:41 PM
    Can't see my dear old Mum, hunting around her handbag (purse) for her external card read/writer, cuz she wants to bang off a few Gig of hi res video lol
    And yet they put an SD card slot on a phone with 32GB of internal storage but capable of shooting 4K30 for some other reason than the scenario you mentioned? And once done, that card is useless till swapped.
    10-19-15 10:43 PM
    Depends on how much media one has. I have nearly 100GB of music alone that I generally keep with me, to say nothing of other sorts of media and other files. I changed cards frequently when I was still using my Z10.
    So get a 128GB card.
    I have a 64GB in mine which is holding me okay. I never really remove it. My media is always available. Dealing with an external reader just would not work for me.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-19-15 10:46 PM

Your post estimates double sales by dropping price by $200. If you spreadsheeted that, can you crunch some profit numbers if the BOM was $250? Which is more profitable?
    10-19-15 10:46 PM
    So get a 128GB card.
    I have a 64GB in mine which is holding me okay. I never really remove it. My media is always available. Dealing with an external reader just would not work for me.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. My point is that it's possible and generally simple for Android flagships without built-in slots to use external storage, so the slot isn't something that I consider to be a high-value differentiator.
    10-19-15 10:48 PM
103 12345