I've been a (relatively) happy BlackBerry user since I first switched to my Q10. That was followed by a Passport and then the Classic. Those were my first phones with a pkb and I learned to love it. I also like BB10, even with its drawbacks.

However, I've always kept an Android phone around. Various Google Nexus models, Samsungs, etc. I like rooting and flashing, and I sometimes needed an Android phone for my fitness trackers that wouldn't always play nicely with my BB10 phones.

I have no real beef with Android, except that there's:

1) No pkb
    2) No hub
    3) No cool flow interface (I like swiping)

I never stuck with my Android phones as a daily driver because I missed these things.

Anyway, once the Priv was announced, I was intrigued. I guessed that the BB10 flow interface wasn't going to be ported, but I was hoping that the Hub would make it over, and I knew that the pkb would be great. So, I switched to my Android phone (currently a customized Fire phone) to see if I could handle Android otherwise as a daily driver.

The results are encouraging. I do miss the swipe interface, and I hate typing on glass, but the experience is otherwise pleasant.

I like the screen dimensions relative to my BB10 phones. I like the fact that all apps and peripherals work seamlessly. I sorely miss the Hub, and have heard that the Android Hub leaves a bit to be desired, but I'm sure it will work okay.

Even without a perfect Hub and without the swipe interface, if a pkb was added to my Android phone, I would be a happy man. So, I'm looking forward to the Priv.

The only things that are bothering me are the price (which I consider to be too high) and the feeling that if it doesn't succeed, it will not be supported with updates.

On most phones that can be rooted and flashed, this is not a problem, as the developer community will release Roms for the device for years after it's been abandoned by the manufacturer. However, it's unlikely that anyone is going to be able to unlock the Priv bootloader, so we're going to have to rely on BlackBerry for updates.

Anyway, this is a long post but the basic takeaway is that while I love BB10 (warts and all), I'm not going to find it hard to adapt back to Android.......especially with a lovely BlackBerry physical keyboard thrown in. If, in addition, they can get the Hub to integrate with the OS relatively seamlessly, then I will not miss BB10 at all.

Maybe I'll be buying that Priv after all.
    11-01-15 10:49 PM
    I'm with you on all of this.

On the other hand, I'm a bit excited. Yes, it is a good chunk of change to drop on such a device, but it would be so awesome if it comes through. To have it do really well and turn it around for BlackBerry. I'd like to be along for that ride.

And even if the Priv tanks(yes, that would suck), I'm ok knowing I supported something I cared about.

BlackBerry, you have my sword.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 11:10 PM