Hi there,
    i failed replacing the USB port and mesed up the board so it is very unlikely to resolder another port.

The battery is also dead (unused since 2018)

any idea how i could turn it on to save my photos via wifi?

Is there any point were i could "infuse" 5V or 3,3V? The battery connector is also not very versatile...
    07-18-21 02:53 AM
    Hi there,
    i failed replacing the USB port and mesed up the board so it is very unlikely to resolder another port.

The battery is also dead (unused since 2018)

any idea how i could turn it on to save my photos via wifi?

Is there any point were i could "infuse" 5V or 3,3V? The battery connector is also not very versatile...
    I believe you might be able to charge it wirelessly with a wireless charging pad.
    07-18-21 05:51 AM
    I believe you might be able to charge it wirelessly with a wireless charging pad.
    Thanks but my EU Version does not support QI
    07-18-21 07:09 AM
    Are the photos not on the SD card or cloud storage?
    07-18-21 08:22 AM
    Are the photos not on the SD card or cloud storage?
    SD-card, encrypted
    07-18-21 12:00 PM
    SD-card, encrypted
    Lesson learned the hard way.

You pretty much have to replace your battery and hope there is enough charge to get the job done.
    07-18-21 12:03 PM
    Lesson learned the hard way.
    You pretty much have to replace your battery and hope there is enough charge to get the job done.
    Hi there, please keep it constructive.
    When encrypting my data and not giving google a copy, i had already set my priorities, so the trade-off is no surprise...

Yes, maybe i can borrow a full battery from some1 i know(tho he might not like the idea of me opening his phone).

However, it would be nice if someone had a deeper insight of were to safely infuse voltage.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    btw. i am shocked the Priv is still sold for >200 bucks...
    07-18-21 01:14 PM
    Hi there, please keep it constructive.
    When encrypting my data and not giving google a copy, i had already set my priorities, so the trade-off is no surprise...

Yes, maybe i can borrow a full battery from some1 i know(tho he might not like the idea of me opening his phone).

However, it would be nice if someone had a deeper insight of were to safely infuse voltage.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    How was I not being constructive?

https://www.esourceparts.ca/blackber...60122-003.html

And who said anything about Google? There are plenty of encrypted cloud solutions out there for the tin-foil hat wearers.
    07-18-21 01:18 PM
    If you didnt back up your data for whatever reason and the SD card is encrypted then you are really out of luck short of a battery swap like you are talking about or maybe taking it to a phone repair shop since they do this for a living.
    07-18-21 01:18 PM
    If you didnt back up your data for whatever reason and the SD card is encrypted then you are really out of luck short of a battery swap like you are talking about or maybe taking it to a phone repair shop since they do this for a living.
    Not after my failed soldering
    Plus, they ususally only accept devices they already know (BB is too rare for a common phone shop to have experience).

I'd spend some bucks to retrieve my 2016-2018 photos but at the phone shop it's more like paying 80 bucks for "having a look"
    07-18-21 01:23 PM
    How was I not being constructive?

https://www.esourceparts.ca/blackber...60122-003.html

And who said anything about Google? There are plenty of encrypted cloud solutions out there for the tin-foil hat wearers.
    ok it's getting O/T but: "encrypted" is only worth talking about whens it's End2End IMHO - Nextcloud does not work safely yet and i don't know of any other end2end encryption cloud services working with android+PC. do you?
    07-18-21 01:27 PM
    ok it's getting O/T but: "encrypted" is only worth talking about whens it's End2End IMHO - Nextcloud does not work safely yet and i don't know of any other end2end encryption cloud services working with android+PC. do you?
    Does data resiliency play any part in your overall security analysis?

See post #15.
    07-18-21 01:30 PM
    Thanks, the price look good!. I don't really feel like buying a single-use battery tho
    07-18-21 01:30 PM
    mega.nz i think is
    07-18-21 01:32 PM
    https://techstuffer.com/cloud-storag...nd-encryption/

5 end-to-end encrypted cloud storage solutions with Android apps.
    07-18-21 01:35 PM
    Does data resiliency play any part in your overall security analysis?
    Yes, but I generally rank it below data privacy.

I tend to trust OpenSource projects more than closed source promises.
    07-18-21 01:40 PM
    https://techstuffer.com/cloud-storag...nd-encryption/

5 end-to-end encrypted cloud storage solutions with Android apps.
    I'll have a look - thanks a bunch!
    07-18-21 01:41 PM
    Yes, but I generally rank it below data privacy.

I tend to trust OpenSource projects more than closed source promises.
    You may wish to reevaluate.

Complete data loss trumps absolute security.
    07-18-21 01:42 PM
    Encrypted data must ALWAYS be treated as data that is one tiny step away from being lost forever, - because IT IS, BY DESIGN! If your data is important enough to encrypt in the first place, it should be important enough to make back-up copies of - kept unencrypted and offline. If you don't, then you need to know up-front that it's only a matter of time before you experience data loss. Whether your phone gets lost, stolen, or broken, or the SD card fails, or any of a number of other problems, your data will be gone forever - BY DESIGN.

I *hate* hearing that people have lost data, which is why I never pass up an opportunity to remind people - ESPECIALLY people using encryption - that their data is at risk of being lost, and they need to have backups. Cloud sync is the easiest way, but manual backups are also possible for those more paranoid. But SOME kind of backup needs to be done - and done OFTEN - if you don't want to lose that data.

When I used to do device repair, I used to get so many stories of people with baby pictures, birthdays, dead grandparents, etc. that were on their devices and not backed up (as well as documents and other stuff), and while I often got them back, many times that proved impossible, and it's terrible to have to tell people that there's no hope of getting their data back.
    07-18-21 08:36 PM
    Encrypted data must ALWAYS be treated as data that is one tiny step away from being lost forever, - because IT IS, BY DESIGN! If your data is important enough to encrypt in the first place, it should be important enough to make back-up copies of - kept unencrypted and offline. If you don't, then you need to know up-front that it's only a matter of time before you experience data loss. Whether your phone gets lost, stolen, or broken, or the SD card fails, or any of a number of other problems, your data will be gone forever - BY DESIGN.

I *hate* hearing that people have lost data, which is why I never pass up an opportunity to remind people - ESPECIALLY people using encryption - that their data is at risk of being lost, and they need to have backups. Cloud sync is the easiest way, but manual backups are also possible for those more paranoid. But SOME kind of backup needs to be done - and done OFTEN - if you don't want to lose that data.

When I used to do device repair, I used to get so many stories of people with baby pictures, birthdays, dead grandparents, etc. that were on their devices and not backed up (as well as documents and other stuff), and while I often got them back, many times that proved impossible, and it's terrible to have to tell people that there's no hope of getting their data back.
    Wouldn't it almost always be possible to fix the device and get the data back, aside from severe water damage to the motherboard?
    07-18-21 09:01 PM
    Wouldn't it almost always be possible to fix the device and get the data back, aside from severe water damage to the motherboard?
    What about lost or stolen devices?

Plus, if a device is corrupted and a new OS needs to be installed (which happens a lot), then the SD card encryption key is lost.
    07-18-21 09:13 PM
    Yeah I learned the hard way as well...

Always plan for worst case, your phone is lost - can you access important parts of your life, or are they gone forever.

The OP can recover his if he is willing to pay for them... other wise he can continue on without them.
    07-19-21 07:25 AM
    Not after my failed soldering
    Plus, they ususally only accept devices they already know (BB is too rare for a common phone shop to have experience).

I'd spend some bucks to retrieve my 2016-2018 photos but at the phone shop it's more like paying 80 bucks for "having a look"
    First to try Micro soldering was a train wreck looking for a place to happen. Two Conite was just stating the facts. Three try getting a system board or buy another battery with the hope the battery is at least 60%.
    07-19-21 01:24 PM
    First to try Micro soldering was a train wreck looking for a place to happen. Two Conite was just stating the facts. Three try getting a system board or buy another battery with the hope the battery is at least 60%.
    pretty sure switching a system board out wont help, it would be seen as a new phone.. The battery he can get away with.
    07-19-21 01:53 PM
    pretty sure switching a system board out wont help, it would be seen as a new phone.. The battery he can get away with.
    I think on the Priv it was a daughter board that was separate from the main board with the processor and storage.

Sure he would have looked into one on those rather then making the fix that he botched.
    07-19-21 02:05 PM
29 12