How the hell am I supposed to know what the problem is then?? By magic?
    No need for magic, you can use feedback and crash reports but you're taking a shortcut with the debugging process. Anyway, that's a whole different story because you're talking about 3rd party apps and I'm talking about preloaded apps.

The PRIV's main advertised features are privacy and security and that's why I bought it. Privacy implies what's mine is mine and stays with me only, not what's mine is vendors' too. If we go by the latter logic, anything can be advertised as private. If BB collects any data from phones, they're breaking the promise and 50% of the advertised features are bull****. I really don't care what the reasons for collecting data are, a product that advertises privacy should collect none. If they didn't advertise this, I wouldn't say a word.

It's not just about principles either. Swiftkey (which BB keyboard is based on) started sharing phone numbers and email addresses to strangers due to some bug. With data collection there is always some degree of risk, not necessarily due to bad intents, but also due to human error.

Funny thing is, 10 years ago we'd call these diagnostics features keyloggers and we'd remove the offender, but now it's ok because everybody's doing it. If BB actually cared for user's privacy, they'd at least make diagnostics as an opt-in instead of opt-out.

Not to stray too far from the topic, something is off with the statisitcs. I'm showing 0 words typed with the pkb.

Post your typing habits!-426215628_5413515925107568110.jpg
    FF22 likes this.
    09-13-16 05:13 AM
    Post your typing habits!-screenshot_20160913-122021.jpg
    Mirko935 likes this.
    09-13-16 05:24 AM
    My big fat fingers don't do well with the PKB. I came from a Pearl, Bold and Z10. The Z10 was a refreshing change with the Virtual keyboard and flick typing. I did not get the Priv for the PKB, as Attachment 408224you can see.
    I didn't get the Priv specifically for the PKB either and coming from both a Z10 and Z30, I would have thought the VKB use would have continued. But I feel as I'm using them equally but the stats show I'm using my PKB more.

I wonder, is use of the PKB as a mouse count toward the count?

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    09-13-16 07:37 AM
    Okay, I think it really shows that I use the pkb way more often.
    Attached Thumbnails Post your typing habits!-17405.jpg  
    Mirko935 likes this.
    09-13-16 07:44 AM
    I didn't get the Priv specifically for the PKB either and coming from both a Z10 and Z30, I would have thought the VKB use would have continued. But I feel as I'm using them equally but the stats show I'm using my PKB more.

I wonder, is use of the PKB as a mouse count toward the count?

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    Good question. I don't know if that counts as gestures or not. I do use that occasionally, just for the heck of it.
    09-13-16 07:56 AM
    No need for magic, you can use feedback and crash reports but you're taking a shortcut with the debugging process. Anyway, that's a whole different story because you're talking about 3rd party apps and I'm talking about preloaded apps.

The PRIV's main advertised features are privacy and security and that's why I bought it. Privacy implies what's mine is mine and stays with me only, not what's mine is vendors' too. If we go by the latter logic, anything can be advertised as private. If BB collects any data from phones, they're breaking the promise and 50% of the advertised features are bull****. I really don't care what the reasons for collecting data are, a product that advertises privacy should collect none. If they didn't advertise this, I wouldn't say a word.

It's not just about principles either. Swiftkey (which BB keyboard is based on) started sharing phone numbers and email addresses to strangers due to some bug. With data collection there is always some degree of risk, not necessarily due to bad intents, but also due to human error.

Funny thing is, 10 years ago we'd call these diagnostics features keyloggers and we'd remove the offender, but now it's ok because everybody's doing it. If BB actually cared for user's privacy, they'd at least make diagnostics as an opt-in instead of opt-out.

Not to stray too far from the topic, something is off with the statisitcs. I'm showing 0 words typed with the pkb.
    I don't know if you ever read some feedbacks on apps in Play Store, but most people write nothing useful in feedback, they just say "Stupid app no work". I'd also bet that 99% of people never bother to send crash reports, for the very same reason you're afraid of any automatic usage reports or whatever their name is plus it requires a few steps on their part and their e-mail address if I'm not mistaken. So it's pretty much the same thing except for the fact that one requires user intervention, and one doesn't.

What exactly is the difference between 3rd party apps and preinstalled apps? Both need to be developed, maintained, debugged etc. Plus BB's apps can also be downloaded to other phones so they are also 3rd party apps. And again, no one is forcing you to use BB apps, and they can all be disabled except for DTEK and launcher. Same goes for Google apps.

That bug with SwiftKey was obviously something regarding their cloud user dictionary backup service. I used TouchPal and I never liked the idea of using that funcionality, and BB's keyboard doesn't even have it so it's totally unrelated. While we're at it, BB keyboard spent 27.65 KB of data at some point when I first installed or updated it, I don't know, and it stands at those 27.65 KB all the time regardless of weeks of usage, typing, additions to dictionary etc. It would appear that it doesn't really send much so until you have some proof regarding what data it sends, you're pissed based solely on your own assumption that it sends some data regarding what you type.

Again, if you don't like the fact that the keyboard has full internet access, why don't you simply disable it? There are probably keyboards in Play Store that don't have that permission.
    09-15-16 02:58 AM
    Lol here it is,

Just for you!

This is me on a normal level. When I'm chilling doing nothing - and got time with my device it's the pkb.

When I'm in a rush the vkb is perfect.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    Attached Thumbnails Post your typing habits!-14786.jpg  
    09-15-16 05:22 AM
    People complaining about the stats going home are stupid,

There's no data mining of any sort.

Its simply showing them who uses the pkb and who doesn't, if their gesture based blackdroid is working or should they conform to more natural android.

It's market research and we not even being affected by it.

Some people need to chill out and stop slating a company that's clearly trying to improve our experience and tailor make products based on the data they receive from such stats.

Just my 5 cents.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    09-15-16 05:26 AM
    Again, if you don't like the fact that the keyboard has full internet access, why don't you simply disable it? There are probably keyboards in Play Store that don't have that permission.
    I'm trying to explain what I'm talking about with an analogy.

I want to buy a car and I know that almost all cars on the market have a problem with leaking oil. Then comes a manufacturer that says his cars aren't leaking any oil! It doesn't have great headlights like others do, it kinda makes noises at high speeds and it's a bit more expensive. BUT, I'm ok with the trade-offs because I really don't want to leak any oil. So I'm buying the car, only to find out that it actually does leak a little bit of oil. Now, I don't have great headlights, it rattles at high speeds AND it leaks.

What you're saying is, it would be perfectly normal that I'd just take it as it is, and start wasting my time and money looking for tanks that don't leak to get the car working as advertised. At this point, I'm thinking maybe I would have been better off buying a standard leaking car with all the features and just replace the defective parts known to cause the leaks from the getgo.

What exactly is the difference between 3rd party apps and preinstalled apps?
    If I mod my engine and I'm having oil leaks, then it's on me and I can't blame the manufacturer. If I'm not into modding and I'm using my cars exactly to the factory parameters, then I don't care what other mods do.

So, in this case, I don't care how other apps behave. Maybe I won't install any or I'll dev my own apps. I care only about the base product.

When I take the phone out of the box and I'm using it with factory defaults, it should be private and secure as advertised. This includes the keyboard app because it's part of the product. If they're collecting any input, for whatever reason, it means they aren't respecting that promise and it's almost deceiving considering they are avertising privacy in the context of companies and apps not respecting it anymore.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-15-16 06:27 AM
    I'm trying to explain what I'm talking about with an analogy.

I want to buy a car and I know that almost all cars on the market have a problem with leaking oil. Then comes a manufacturer that says his cars aren't leaking any oil! It doesn't have great headlights like others do, it kinda makes noises at high speeds and it's a bit more expensive. BUT, I'm ok with the trade-offs because I really don't want to leak any oil. So I'm buying the car, only to find out that it actually does leak a little bit of oil. Now, I don't have great headlights, it rattles at high speeds AND it leaks.

What you're saying is, it would be perfectly normal that I'd just take it as it is, and start wasting my time and money looking for tanks that don't leak to get the car working as advertised. At this point, I'm thinking maybe I would have been better off buying a standard leaking car with all the features and just replace the defective parts known to cause the leaks from the getgo.

If I mod my engine and I'm having oil leaks, then it's on me and I can't blame the manufacturer. If I'm not into modding and I'm using my cars exactly to the factory parameters, then I don't care what other mods do.

So, in this case, I don't care how other apps behave. Maybe I won't install any or I'll dev my own apps. I care only about the base product.

When I take the phone out of the box and I'm using it with factory defaults, it should be private and secure as advertised. This includes the keyboard app because it's part of the product. If they're collecting any input, for whatever reason, it means they aren't respecting that promise and it's almost deceiving considering they are avertising privacy in the context of companies and apps not respecting it anymore.
    It's an entirely different matter to leaking oil.

NHF, but the point is that until you have some proof that any data that shouldn't be shared is shared from the device, this is an entirely hypothetical and basically pointless discussion.

Also, any manufacturer and software developer could make a backdoor that would be (nearly) impossible to detect. Unless you start manufacturing your devices from scratch and using only software that you write yourself entirely you will not find the peace of mind you seek.
    09-16-16 04:43 AM
    It's an entirely different matter to leaking oil.

NHF, but the point is that until you have some proof that any data that shouldn't be shared is shared from the device, this is an entirely hypothetical and basically pointless discussion.

Also, any manufacturer and software developer could make a backdoor that would be (nearly) impossible to detect. Unless you start manufacturing your devices from scratch and using only software that you write yourself entirely you will not find the peace of mind you seek.
    I still prefer to control who my phone "calls" and what data they send!
    09-16-16 11:17 AM
    I still prefer to control who my phone "calls" and what data they send!
    It'd like to control it too. But you can never be sure what's going on in the background as long as you don't manufacture it yourself. You can only choose which company you are willing to trust.
    09-16-16 11:32 AM
    It does. Or double tap on the Shift key.

But I think what he is asking is if there's a setting to make the keyboard just display uppercase keys all the time, like iPhone keyboard did until a year ago.
    Hi sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes that's exactly what I'm asking. Thanks for explaining.

In fact it is still available on the iPhone it is in the settings Settings > General > Accessibility > Keyboard > Show Lowercase Keys (On/Off)

So is there a setting for this in the case of the DTek or the Priv?
    09-18-16 09:05 PM
    After a few days, I checked my stats. I think I'm not ready for Vkb (I'm using BlackBerry phones with pkb since 10 years)
    Mirko935 likes this.
    09-27-16 01:40 PM
    Here is mine after a few days. It's not my main phone but I do enjoy the PKB and the gesture.

By the way, is there a way to reduce the learning speed of the keyboard? I find that some of my email addresses are being learnt and added to the list of learnt words.
    09-28-16 09:56 AM
    Here is mine after a few days. It's not my main phone but I do enjoy the PKB and the gesture.

By the way, is there a way to reduce the learning speed of the keyboard? I find that some of my email addresses are being learnt and added to the list of learnt words.
    Whoops, the photo didn't seem to have attached. Hopefully works now.
    09-28-16 09:58 AM
    Still to this date after using keyboards and non keywords devices throughout my 30 year digital life.

Large emails simply is better with a physical keyboard. To type out large emails is redundant and a huge time waster.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    09-29-16 03:32 PM
    Last year Crack berry credit card order info got hacked. I know my cc was accessed. The server was hacked not the priv. So it does happen.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    09-29-16 08:44 PM
68 123