This has been bouncing around my head for quite some time so please hear me out.

What if this whole things boils down to kids in a playground who get upset and want to take their ball and go home, or if I can't have what I want, then you can't have anything. Case in point is the Blackberry Radar System:

IoT-Enabled BlackBerry Radar Will Empower Truck Companies to Cut Theft, Boost Profits | Inside BlackBerry

Which looks eerily similar to what Verizon has already in place:

Networkfleet | Get your free consultation with a fleet industry pro.

Verizon Networkfleet ? Vehicle and asset management

Could it really be this simple?? I mean for months, all we heard about (those of us dealing with IoT) from Blackberry was Radar Radar... then Radio silence about 3-4 months ago - which just so happens to be the time the last Security patch was pushed from VZW to our Blackberry devices.. In fact Blackberry's own webpage about Radar has not been updated since March 31st.

Thoughts?? Would really like opinions here.

Posted this in one of the many PRIV/VZW threads but it was quickly passed by due to traffic.
    09-08-16 11:10 AM
    I read it

I'm in agreement with Bla1ze that it can't be a conspiracy against BlackBerry, because VZW has a long history being slow to update any phone they control update pushes for. I also agree with PK, that VZW runs the most rigorous testing in the industry, which takes time, and tries to control the service call traffic as much as possible.

From their end, it makes a lot of sense. I doubt they lose many customers from it. Their biggest competitor, at&t does much the same. From our end, it sux out loud.
    09-08-16 01:16 PM
    Hey Wolfie,

While I agree that VZW wouldn't lose any sleep over a perceived conspiracy theory nor loss of business, and yes they have a long history of crappy updates, I just find the timing very suspicious especially after I attended the Security summit in NYC and asked this very question - well not exactly the same. I asked the speaker who was giving the "Zero-Day patching" speech about the VZW delay. His response to me was he would look into it and get back to me.

Fast forward 2+ hours and he came and found me to tell me he had indeed spoken with VZW and that Marshmallow would be rolling out in August, inclusive of the August Security update. This because it was already August and I was still on June Security update and showed him such.

Since then, nothing, nada, crickets.... That, coupled with the complete and utter Radio Silence from Blackberry about their Radar which was (as of March) touted as the "be all and end all" of Asset tracking makes me think....
    09-08-16 01:24 PM
    You're missing the elephant in the room! The NIAP is holding both our OS upgrades hostage, deep within Cheyenne mountain.

But seriously, you have better access than damn near anyone, and you don't know.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-08-16 01:31 PM
    09-08-16 01:32 PM
    09-08-16 01:35 PM
    You're missing the elephant in the room! The NIAP is holding both our OS upgrades hostage, deep within Cheyenne mountain.

But seriously, you have better access than damn near anyone, and you don't know.
    Remember we talked about this Wolfie... no speaky about deez thingzz
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-08-16 01:37 PM
    Ahh, but oh Great one, why place the quotes in the sentence without giving credit to the author (or speaker) and yes I AM too lazy to Google it!!

Hanlon's Razor, Like Occam's Razor.... but not.
    09-08-16 01:38 PM
    "advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice".
    Wezard likes this.
    09-08-16 02:33 PM
    "Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook"

We could go at this all day....
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    09-08-16 02:48 PM
    From their end, it makes a lot of sense. I doubt they lose many customers from it. Their biggest competitor, at&t does much the same. From our end, it sux out loud.
    I wish I could agree with you but we got the BB April patches in VZW's final update at the beginning of June. I assume you're saying that AT&T doesn't care about quality anymore since they are up to date with yesterday's push?

In my FCC complaint, I told VZW I would close it if they could give me the name of the person in charge of this. I was told it was proprietary. I said I would accept to know what department was working on it. Same answer. I said I would accept to get a statement that the patches are being worked on. This time the answer was a flat, "no". This goes well beyond incompetence. This was after they tried to get me to close it by stating that "If the phone makes phone calls and texts then that is all they have to provide". They basically couldn't care less and I doubt someone is spending any time to make this happen.
    Av8orbb likes this.
    09-08-16 02:49 PM
    This is a little different than the manufacturer not providing updates as in the case of Motorola. This is a case of totally not caring by Verizon. But as others have queried, when did Verizon ever care?
    09-08-16 03:22 PM
    Verizon has NEVER cared about updates -- ever. It's one of the many ways they try to force you to buy a new device.

Oh by the way, ​force-tied sales are generally illegal, but heh, nobody ever bothers enforcing the law against big corporations in our government any more...
    09-08-16 03:38 PM
    So every update I have ever received from VzW on a phone took forever to get and then right after the update I had problems with the update, so either VzW is lousy at testing or it is a bunch of smoke and lies about how well VzW test the updates. I choose to believe the the latter one. Oh, have to say when I was able to flash custom ROMs it was much easier than this bullcrap we deal with now.
    09-08-16 05:01 PM
    .....Their biggest competitor, at&t does much the same. From our end, it sux out loud.
    Except AT&T is one the same level as any shop BlackBerry one and have been providing timely updates.
    newcollector likes this.
    09-08-16 06:19 PM
    I wish I could agree with you but we got the BB April patches in VZW's final update at the beginning of June. I assume you're saying that AT&T doesn't care about quality anymore since they are up to date with yesterday's push?

In my FCC complaint, I told VZW I would close it if they could give me the name of the person in charge of this. I was told it was proprietary. I said I would accept to know what department was working on it. Same answer. I said I would accept to get a statement that the patches are being worked on. This time the answer was a flat, "no". This goes well beyond incompetence. This was after they tried to get me to close it by stating that "If the phone makes phone calls and texts then that is all they have to provide". They basically couldn't care less and I doubt someone is spending any time to make this happen.
    I'm in full support of your actions, and hope that some good comes from it. I must admit my ignorance at their legal obligations to provide updates, timely or otherwise, but...

Except AT&T is one the same level as any shop BlackBerry one and have been providing timely updates.
    Are y'all really going to try and convince me, that at&t doesn't have a long history of update lag, when all the evidence is to the contrary?
    09-08-16 08:58 PM
    I was told the most recent security update was causing bugs with MM so Verizon sent it back to BlackBerry and they havent released the the updated version back to VZW. But who knows it can all be lies.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-08-16 09:09 PM
    I'm in full support of your actions, and hope that some good comes from it. I must admit my ignorance at their legal obligations to provide updates, timely or otherwise, but...

Are y'all really going to try and convince me, that at&t doesn't have a long history of update lag, when all the evidence is to the contrary?
    History of the Priv? There recent actions suggest they are keeping with the theme of continuous updates. I'll judge them on what I see today until they purposely leave us in the dust. Our telcos are not the best, but I have to give credit where it is due regarding the priv and AT&T keeping it updated.
    09-08-16 09:15 PM
    History of the Priv? There recent actions suggest they are keeping with the theme of continuous updates. I'll judge them on what I see today until they purposely leave us in the dust. Our telcos are not the best, but I have to give credit where it is due regarding the priv and AT&T keeping it updated.
    "One phone does not a history make"

Me
    09-08-16 09:19 PM
    If you are a niche tier OEM, Verizon puts you in a closet and forgets about you for major OS updates

Have look at Big Red's update list and laugh.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    09-08-16 09:21 PM

At this point I'm not sure that we can expect any real movement by Verizon. BUT we can hope that since 'SECURITY' was already on the FCC's radar and possibly Congress (I don't recall the original articles), that FCC might take some future action requiring reasonable upgrades. It might really depend on if the complaints are seen by hundreds of FCC employees/drones and don't make a dent or if there's someone actively investigating the issue.

We just need more Verizon users to file complaints.
    09-09-16 12:46 AM
    I think the OP's theory is as good as any other, with the possible exception of the malice versus stupidity quote.

But, AT&T has done the job lately on the Priv.

AT&T is just trying to lure vzw customers to the rocks. We all know AT&T is generally terrible about updates.

But I'll take them just the same.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    09-09-16 01:27 AM
    "One phone does not a history make"

Me
    It does when it's in the priv forum
    Sigewif likes this.
    09-09-16 05:27 AM
    I actually have to agree regarding the AT&T thing - while history has shown they have been more than lax on pushing updates in the past, with the PRIV, they seem to be at the top of their game.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    09-09-16 06:23 AM
    I think the OP's theory is as good as any other, with the possible exception of the malice versus stupidity quote.

But, AT&T has done the job lately on the Priv.

AT&T is just trying to lure vzw customers to the rocks. We all know AT&T is generally terrible about updates.

But I'll take them just the same.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    I didn't place that quote, Thurask did, and I would never, EVER question him
    jfalkingham likes this.
    09-09-16 06:24 AM
110 123 ...