The advised method to get the boot screen per BlackBerry and the tutorials as well as these forums is to press and hold the power button until the reboot option appears. That's all fine and well if you can get your phone to perform those functions or your phone is at least powering up. But I've seen posts where members couldn't get to that screen due to their phone not powering up or being stuck in a restart loop.

Because of another thread from a member that is unintentionally getting a boot screen at restart, I was playing around with my phone this morning while waiting on a meeting and found that with my phone powered on or off, I can get to the bootup screen by simultaneously holding down my power and volume down (-) buttons for several seconds. This method might work on a problematic phone where the conventional method is not possible.

Try this at your own risk, while I suffered no issues doing it (I selected 'Turn phone off ') I have no idea what will actually happen if you choose one of the other options. But if you're phone is unresponsive or locked up it's worth the risk.

Edit: I'm new to android and still learning, so at lunch I was doing some research and found that the screen I was going to is a bootloader screen, which has other uses or purposes other than just booting the phone. You can get to Recovery mode from here as well as access FastBoot to flash if you need to. The options are:
    - Continue The Bootup
    -Reboot Into FastBoot
    - Turn Off Device

That's as far as I'm comfortable experimenting for now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-14-16 at 04:08 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-14-16 10:58 AM
    The advised method to get the boot screen per BlackBerry and the tutorials as well as these forums is to use the power button and then to press and hold the 'Restart/ Turn off' option that pops up. That's all fine and well if you can get your phone to perform those functions or your phone is at least powering up. But I've seen posts where members couldn't get to that screen due to their phone not powering up or being stuck in a restart loop.

Because of another thread from a member that is unintentionally getting a boot screen at restart, I was playing around with my phone this morning while waiting on a meeting and found that with my phone powered on or off, I can get to the bootup screen by simultaneously holding down my power and volume down (-) buttons for several seconds. This method might work on a problematic phone where the conventional method is not possible.

Try this at your own risk though because some have lost settings or lost 3rd party icons after going to the bootup screen and had to reload them. But when your phone is acting up, it's probably worth the risk.

The method you describe is essentially the equivalent of the hard restart on BlackBerry 10, where you would hold the power button down until the device restarted and the boot screen appeared. Holding the power and volume down buttons simultaneously on the Priv does the same thing. You should use the recommended restart method though, unless something is not working properly and you feel a hard restart is necessary.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    09-14-16 11:46 AM
    The method you describe is essentially the equivalent of the hard restart on BlackBerry 10, where you would hold the power button down until the device restarted and the boot screen appeared. Holding the power and volume down buttons simultaneously on the Priv does the same thing. You should use the recommended restart method though, unless something is not working properly and you feel a hard restart is necessary.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    This is totally different. The procedure I posted turns out to get you to the bootloader screen where beyond the options listed, with other button combinations you can get into recovery and download modes.

09-14-16 04:17 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but if debugging mode is turned on, that pulls a bug report. I accidentally triggered it when attempting a screenshot a few days ago.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv
    09-14-16 10:42 PM
    It's an android thing and one of the first steps if you plan to root a device. So close and you didn't even know it.
    09-15-16 06:42 AM