I can understand the dislike of Android but why not iOS?

I have a buddy who will not have any Apple products in his house. He went so far as to pay $250 for a clunky Mp3 player. He will only buy a Samsung Android. Most everyone else I know are all in Apple products.

I guess most people are Microsoft or Apple for their computers. I switched over to Apple about 2009 and would not go back to Microsoft now.

I really enjoy BB10 but the time has come to move on. I will consider the PRIV vs an iOS phone.

Posted via CB10
    I don't deny that Apple makes quality products but a great many people do not like their corporate culture. I was heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem but with Cook's habit of interjecting Apple as a company into social politics, I couldn't in good conscience support them any longer and sold all of my Apple hardware (except for my iPhone, which will be replaced by November). Other people object to their production practices and fiscal scandals (shady tax shelters, backdating options, spurious lawsuits, etc).
    10-13-15 10:33 AM
    I wasn't referring to the poll, just the general CrackBerry members considering the switch due to issues with Android as a result of Google.

Posted via CB10
    Yes there will be some CB members who do not want to go Android. In Canada, the carriers have given even less support to MS phones than they have BlackBerry. I would expect that the number of new PRIV users coming from Android would outnumber the BB10 users who might have considered a BB10 PRIV (without runtime).

I wonder what the percentage is of BB10 users who bought BB10 devices because of the OS ? or the form factor ? If the new BB Android OS actually works well and sells in reasonable numbers, I hope that the Classic and Passport are offered in a Android variant as well as an all touch model.
    10-13-15 11:30 AM
    I will be saying goodbye to BlackBerry when my passport is ready for upgrade. Love pkb's, and BlackBerry devices, but I just can't do android.

�this sentence contradicts iteself -- no it actually doesn't�
    jsmith00075 and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    10-13-15 11:40 AM
    Honestly I'm gonna be getting both. I'm getting the Priv because I have been using BlackBerrys for years and I love physical keyboards (also I like to support BlackBerry). However, I'm gonna be getting the Lumia 950 XL because I am heavily invested in the Windows ecosystem & their apps, thus I feel like getting the Lumia will simply benefit me.
    10-13-15 11:57 AM
    Honestly I'm gonna be getting both. I'm getting the Priv because I have been using BlackBerrys for years and I love physical keyboards (also I like to support BlackBerry). However, I'm gonna be getting the Lumia 950 XL because I am heavily invested in the Windows ecosystem & their apps, thus I feel like getting the Lumia will simply benefit me.
    God I hope when the priv fails and BlackBerry exits phones that they sell their pkb patents to microsoft.

Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    10-13-15 11:59 AM
    Priv for me, but the new Lumias do look nice. Hopefully Microsoft gets some traction in the market with those. Maybe then BB would build their experience suite for it (and which would then also work on Windows 10 PCs too).
    10-13-15 12:00 PM
    I can understand the dislike of Android but why not iOS?

I have a buddy who will not have any Apple products in his house. He went so far as to pay $250 for a clunky Mp3 player. He will only buy a Samsung Android. Most everyone else I know are all in Apple products.

I guess most people are Microsoft or Apple for their computers. I switched over to Apple about 2009 and would not go back to Microsoft now.

I really enjoy BB10 but the time has come to move on. I will consider the PRIV vs an iOS phone.

Posted via CB10
    I really, really, really dislike the Apple approach to usability. Minimal controls means minimal options. I can never just do what I want. I have an iPad, and it's the single most frustrating piece of electronics I've ever owned. Options are impossible to find, and once found, are woefully inadequate. And the way you're locked in to the Apple ecosystem may be good for Apple's profitability but makes for a lousy user experience, IMO. I don't want to buy lo-rez audio from iTunes, I don't want to have to back up photos via USB or Apple's overpriced cloud service. Oh, I could go on and on. I have wasted so much time trying to get my iPad to do basic stuff that I would be hard-pressed to get another Apple product. Rant over.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 12:16 PM
    Why in the world would you compare Lumia 950 with Priv? Why would you compare any wm phone with android or ios. I have the 930 for a few months now and aside form the excellent camera, sort of good quality build and great optimization, the rest is just low. I would compare wm 8.1 with symbian

You don't have a proper gmail app, you don't have any app with which you can connect to a NAS over a WiFi network, only god knows where the os puts the files it downloads from your email, it vibrates 3 times (if I remember correctly, or 2) and than it only rings, the result is a log of missed calls because you can't hear it ring in louder places and you can't feel it vibrate since it vibrates really "relaxed" and only 2-3 times. The browsing experience on it is..........I don't even have a word for it. I'm not even going to talk about the lack of aps or the fact that each app, no matter if it's a flashlight or an online game requires your location (I wounder why? ). It integrates skype contacts with the phone ones and you can't remove the option, so when a skype contact adds his phone number to his user and you also have his phone number saved in the phones agenda, guess which contact will show up when you are called by that person? the skype one obviously, the sad part is that you can't remove this wonderful and innovating option. The list can go on....
    The only good thing going for wm phone is smoothness and optimization. The rest is just dull, an overall dull experience. I will definitely buy the priv when it will be released as vm phone is way to boring and grey scale for me.

LE:

I really, really, really dislike the Apple approach to usability. Minimal controls means minimal options. I can never just do what I want. I have an iPad, and it's the single most frustrating piece of electronics I've ever owned. Options are impossible to find, and once found, are woefully inadequate. And the way you're locked in to the Apple ecosystem may be good for Apple's profitability but makes for a lousy user experience, IMO. I don't want to buy lo-rez audio from iTunes, I don't want to have to back up photos via USB or Apple's overpriced cloud service. Oh, I could go on and on. I have wasted so much time trying to get my iPad to do basic stuff that I would be hard-pressed to get another Apple product. Rant over.

Posted via CB10
    Try finding something in 8.1, you'll sooner find water on mars than any option on the organized settings of 8.1.
    WM 10 is a bit more organized, I installed it through the preview about 1 month and a half back and after a few hours I restored 8.1 since 10 didn't bring anything new and useful for me, so I didn't really see the point of having a preview os full of bugs when it brought me nothing for all the pain it caused.
    10-13-15 03:55 PM
    God I hope when the priv fails and BlackBerry exits phones that they sell their pkb patents to microsoft.

Hmmm., it's not wise to have ill thought towards others, even if it's only a phone manufacturer. Bringing God into your sentence does introduce dire contradiction.

I wish for BlackBerry to thrive and Lumia to also sell well.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 08:58 PM
    "full Windows 10" that only runs Universal apps.

I really hope they change that, considering Crossover is coming up with WINE for Android for Atom based devices.
    Yes, but I'm not sure I want desktop UI apps on my phone. Plus, Microsoft's new browser, Edge, which may be the best performance browser with good standards compliance is a universal app. Windows 10 is hot and we could see a lot more development here...

Can't know for sure, but...

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 09:12 PM
    Yes, but I'm not sure I want desktop UI apps on my phone. Plus, Microsoft's new browser, Edge, which may be the best performance browser with good standards compliance is a universal app. Windows 10 is hot and we could see a lot more development here...

Can't know for sure, but...

Posted via CB10
    Not as a mobile app. When phone is docked in Continuum.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 09:21 PM
    I am liking the LG V10 more than the Lumia 950 XL but I prefer PKB devices so my decision will probably be the Priv...that's if I leave BlackBerry10.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 09:34 PM
    Considering a switch to the 950XL, just waiting on the Microsoft Universal Apps roll out. If Microsoft gets it right, I may be gone. My PP has been an excellent phone, but lately freezing apps and buggy software that lags has been a problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 09:38 PM
    Since Steve Jobs died Apple has become. It also forces you to use their ecosystem harder than the other platforms in a Rob Halford kind of way. Android does that too but in sneakier ways.

Posted via CB10
    Apple hasn't changed it's fundamental approach. It is what it is and what it has really always been, just with bigger phones and a stylus. Steve Jobs was just better at marketing than most..lol
    Last edited by zocster; 10-14-15 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Insentif
    10-14-15 12:49 AM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    10-14-15 01:42 AM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don�t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you�re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won�t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    Thanks for moderating. I tried to phrase my response to call attention to the speech, not the speaker, but removing the offensive content and my response is probably better. I should have simply reported it.

Posted via CB10
    zocster likes this.
    10-14-15 02:32 AM
    Hard to accept that Priv will be running Android, but I'm choosing it over 950XL.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 04:34 AM
    The issue with those 950 is that you can only get it for Att or from Microsoft store (if I recall) . I MS is trying to get the phones out there why not go to all carriers

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 04:58 AM
    When my Passport will become unusable I'll definitely switch to Windows, supposing BlackBerry will be Android only by that time.

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Passport on TMO Romania
    10-14-15 05:02 AM
    I would take the 950, not the xl (too big). I'm not a fan of Android, the priv is not for me. I only do touch screen although I almost bought a passport, keyboards are not for me.
    10-14-15 11:38 PM
    If we're talking "excited", I'm "excited" about Windows 10 Mobile, and not really interested in Android L running on BlackBerry hardware.

I'm interested in how the BB Apps work on Android devices, and I'm interested in a portrait slider, but mostly I'm interested in the strategy Microsoft is engaged in with Windows 10 on the desktop, touch / tablet, and handheld, where "Universal" apps will allow for a seamless experience that makes BlackBerry Blend (impressive though it may be) look inadequate and limited by comparison.

As more apps get 'ported' over to be "Universal" Windows apps, you'll just see these apps show up and "work" on Windows 10 Mobile. Anyone who is serious about developing for Windows is going to eventually move to Universal apps, and that will pay off big for Windows 10 Mobile. Running Android apps as full desktop productivity apps? No, that's a joke and even Google isn't selling that. Consolidation of iOS and OSX? Noooope. It's not even on Apple's radar, if the release of the iPad Pro is any indication. I'm not a Mac user but is the only synergy between iOS and OSX that of data shuttled between devices via iCloud? Yawn.

Running the same apps on all devices with user interface optimized for the input / output controls? THAT'S exciting. Not last-year's Android or Apple's completely separate platforms.
    10-15-15 01:23 AM
    If we're talking "excited", I'm "excited" about Windows 10 Mobile, and not really interested in Android L running on BlackBerry hardware.

I'm interested in how the BB Apps work on Android devices, and I'm interested in a portrait slider, but mostly I'm interested in the strategy Microsoft is engaged in with Windows 10 on the desktop, touch / tablet, and handheld, where "Universal" apps will allow for a seamless experience that makes BlackBerry Blend (impressive though it may be) look inadequate and limited by comparison.

As more apps get 'ported' over to be "Universal" Windows apps, you'll just see these apps show up and "work" on Windows 10 Mobile. Anyone who is serious about developing for Windows is going to eventually move to Universal apps, and that will pay off big for Windows 10 Mobile. Running Android apps as full desktop productivity apps? No, that's a joke and even Google isn't selling that. Consolidation of iOS and OSX? Noooope. It's not even on Apple's radar, if the release of the iPad Pro is any indication. I'm not a Mac user but is the only synergy between iOS and OSX that of data shuttled between devices via iCloud? Yawn.

Running the same apps on all devices with user interface optimized for the input / output controls? THAT'S exciting. Not last-year's Android or Apple's completely separate platforms.
    MS has definitely peeked my interest.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 05:54 AM
    10-15-15 07:41 AM
    I concur with many. Only after my Passport is non functional will I move on to Microsoft. It's not that I am purposely loyal to the underdog. I really do think that Microsoft has something big coming thanks to merging windows 10 to all systems and having universal apps the next big thing.

Right now if I was forced to choose between the Priv and 950, I would consider the following.

Priv advantages:
    Great build quality as always
    Has a BlackBerry logo on the back. I love BlackBerry.
    More apps
    Has a slick slideout KB
    Probably has better sound but not confirmed
    Probably has paratek antenna
    Hopefully has Blend

Lumia 950 advantages:
    Amazing camera
    True document editing program
    Removable 3000 mah battery
    Interchangeable back covers
    Works with desktop

Posted via Manly Passport
    Last edited by leglace1; 10-15-15 at 01:45 PM.
    10-15-15 12:49 PM
    Just got a hands on look at the 950XL at a Microsoft Retail store in San Jose,CA. They had a rubber case on it, I think to mask the plastic rear cover and overall lack of a high end look. I asked the assistant to show me MS Office, specifically Outlook and One Drive. Nothing really new IMO. I tried using the keyboard in Word and not good!

I had thought the 950XL looked like a possible alternative to my PP, but not gonna happen. I'm going to ride the baby out as long as possible.

Hey Chen, build me a Passport Slider with a slightly taller screen!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 01:00 PM
61 123