Hey everyone, I could really use some help in getting through this problem.

A few weeks or so ago I've noticed that the port to plug the charger into the phone is a bit loose and the part of the cord that goes into the phone has to be a certain angle to work. It has since become much fussier now to the point that I'd have to actively pull the connecter in an upward direction and push into the phone simultaneously. Now I can't get it to charge at all.

I've browsed through some other threads and have seen a few options, such as:
    1. Trying magnetic charger cords
    2. Wireless charger (not sure if my model is compatible)
    3. Charging dock
    4. Replacing the port (and potentially the battery)
    5. Call BB Support but the phone is out of warranty so you have to pay to speak with them, plus it'sassuredly a hardware issue so they wouldn't do anything for me anyway.

Which do you think is the best option? Money is restrictive right now so getting a new phone isn't really a viable option, but I am going to call Bell Mobility today (I'm in Canada) and see what they can offer me in terms of replacements.

I'm going to throw in the fact I have another Priv, but it has a completely different issue. It continually restarts itself, usually within minutes of putting in my PIN as part of its booting up. If I could get around that problem then theoretically I can go back to that phone.

Thanks so much.
    06-17-19 09:04 AM
    Hey everyone, I could really use some help in getting through this problem.

A few weeks or so ago I've noticed that the port to plug the charger into the phone is a bit loose and the part of the cord that goes into the phone has to be a certain angle to work. It has since become much fussier now to the point that I'd have to actively pull the connecter in an upward direction and push into the phone simultaneously. Now I can't get it to charge at all.

I've browsed through some other threads and have seen a few options, such as:
    1. Trying magnetic charger cords
    2. Wireless charger (not sure if my model is compatible)
    3. Charging dock
    4. Replacing the port (and potentially the battery)
    5. Call BB Support but the phone is out of warranty so you have to pay to speak with them, plus it'sassuredly a hardware issue so they wouldn't do anything for me anyway.

Which do you think is the best option? Money is restrictive right now so getting a new phone isn't really a viable option, but I am going to call Bell Mobility today (I'm in Canada) and see what they can offer me in terms of replacements.

I'm going to throw in the fact I have another Priv, but it has a completely different issue. It continually restarts itself, usually within minutes of putting in my PIN as part of its booting up. If I could get around that problem then theoretically I can go back to that phone.

Thanks so much.
    STV100-1 has wireless charging.

Replacing the USB port would probably cost you $50-100 at a local phone shop.
    06-17-19 09:51 AM
    STV100-1 has wireless charging.

Replacing the USB port would probably cost you $50-100 at a local phone shop.
    That much? I thought the Priv's MicroUSB was fairly easy to replace.

I heard the KEYone's is a bit more difficult.
    06-17-19 11:30 AM
    That much? I thought the Priv's MicroUSB was fairly easy to replace.

I heard the KEYone's is a bit more difficult.
    It's very complicated. Watch YouTube video's about the way how they dissambling BlackBerry Priv's and replacing parts of it.

Don't try this at home. Let an expert do it by a local telecom repair shop for fixing this issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-19 09:19 PM
    It's very complicated. Watch YouTube video's about the way how they dissambling BlackBerry Priv's and replacing parts of it.

Don't try this at home. Let an expert do it by a local telecom repair shop for fixing this issue.

Posted via CB10
    If that particular Priv has wireless charging and is on its last leg anyway, might as well ride it out till the end and invest in another phone instead of paying big bucks to repair a device who is stuck on Marshmallow and hasn't received a security update in almost two years
    06-17-19 10:02 PM
    Well I was thinking... as I said in my original post, I have two Privs. The other one continually reboots itself but the battery and USB port are fine... maybe a tech repair place can swap those parts.

I'm considering getting the Key2 LE but it'd add another $10 to my monthly plan and I'm on a month-to-month plan. Perhaps I can squeeze Bell to go down to match my current rate.
    06-17-19 10:17 PM
    If that particular Priv has wireless charging and is on its last leg anyway, might as well ride it out till the end and invest in another phone instead of paying big bucks to repair a device who is stuck on Marshmallow and hasn't received a security update in almost two years
    Okay, there is an option allright but newer phones nowadays are just slabs and they look all the same when it comes to full touch only.. I mean.. you mentioned an older android OS, but that's nothing, because in any older or newer OS'es, you can always install third party anti-virus, anti-spam and internet security (paid) apps (with VPN internet connection) for free or buying them in app stores.

Another thing is that you can run an older (or newer) OS longer than two years after ending tech support of security updates. To me it doesn't makes sence to upgrade to a newer slab full touch smartphone at the moment.

Imho I find the BlackBerry Priv very unique on this one, because it have both worlds of keyboards etc... Yes it has an older android OS installed in but you can run it longer than two years without tech support for security updates.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-19 10:30 PM
    Okay, there is an option alright but newer phones nowadays are just slabs and the look al the same when it comes to full touch only.. I mean.. you mentioned an older android OS, but that's nothing, because in any older or newer OS'es, you can always install third party anti-virus, anti-spam and internet security (paid) apps (with VPN internet connection) for free or buying them in app stores.

Another thing is that you can run an older (or newer) OS longer than two years after ending tech support of security updates. To me it doesn't makes sence to upgrade to a newer slab full touch smartphone at the moment.

Imho I find the BlackBerry Priv very unique on this one, because it have both worlds of keyboards etc... Yes it has an older android OS installed in but you can run it longer than two years without tech support for security updates.

Posted via CB10
    So I'm guessing the KEY devices don't interest him at all?
    06-17-19 10:35 PM
    So I'm guessing the KEY devices don't interest him at all?
    I honestly don't know but it's up to him to make choices what he should do next.

But I can say this as an opinion. I find the Key-Series the newer version of the BlackBerry Passport and Classic of it, only difference is that they are now running on android OS nougat and oreo.

To me, it's something that is downgraded on hardware level from the outside next to the BlackBerry Priv.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-19 10:46 PM
    I honestly don't know but it's up to him to make choices what he should do next.

But I can say this as an opinion. I find the Key-Series the newer version of the BlackBerry Passport and Classic of it, only difference is that they are now running on android OS nougat and oreo.

To me, it's something that is downgraded on hardware level from the outside next to the BlackBerry Priv.

Posted via CB10
    I'll be honest. I like the Priv. This is my second one but both of them have had separate issues which forced me to stop using them, but maybe I make the best of it by stripping one for the other.

I realize on one end it's an older phone with many noted issues as described in these threads, but I still hold it dear. I could up to the Key2 but I am a big fan of the Priv's full screen and full keyboard.
    06-18-19 06:07 AM