We have all complained about the lack of marketing by BlackBerry, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but they should stop marketing.

This company has completely lost its identity, consistency and quality.

Let's break down the advert which is via Google Adsense

Please stop marketing the Priv, it's embarrassing to watch-img_20151018_132807.png

"BlackBerry powered by Android"
    They are not using their own brand guidelines, the PDF clearly outlines how the logo must be used, they aren't using the actual blackberry logo, it's that stupid font again.

The paragraph feels like a girl who is a big Justin Bieber fan wrote it with the insane uppercase, smaller uppercase characters. Text is hard enough to read on an advert, they just made it that much more difficult.

Reminds me of the days when people's usernames were like
    xXx_pRiNcEsS_xXx
    BlACKbeRRy PrIv

Speaking of text, why is there no pic of the Priv and the keyboard?

Now this may sound like armchair design/marketing, and usually when giving advice to a ceo, the person can't actually take the ceo place, in this instant, I would happily take the place of the designers tasked with the branding of the Priv OR at the very least, assist without charge because it's quite obvious they have an unpaid intern working for them at this moment in time.

If I wasn't a crackberry user and I saw that advert, I'd have no idea at first glance what it's about and would totally ignore it.

* Touch and type options means nothing to most people
    * only in black? Irrelevant for a paid advert, only talk about colour IF there is additional variants, wasted real estate
    * switch now, again, wasted real estate

If anyone knows a guy who knows a guy at Blackberry, you know what to do.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mr_zed10; 10-18-15 at 03:32 PM.
    10-18-15 07:43 AM
    Marketing isnt that easy for BlackBerry XD

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 07:47 AM
    Agreed. It's pretty bad from my perspective.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 07:48 AM
    Well, they probably fired the whole design team or even more likely they left. As Android goes against every single design principle of BB10 ;-).

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 07:57 AM
    Its fine, it may not win any advertising awards but it serves its purpose. Blackberry won't go after 100 million consumers so why waste advertising money?
    bakron1, WT44, crucial bbq and 1 others like this.
    10-18-15 08:00 AM
    Its fine, it may not win any advertising awards but it serves its purpose. Blackberry won't go after 100 million consumers so why waste advertising money?
    They'll probably advertise in places like business-focused media (e.g. newspapers, banner ads on 24-hour news formats, etc.). I remember similar methods when the Passport and Classic were released. It seems like the current ads are targeted towards the CIOs and others who are ready to retire their 9900s or Q10s, but are also part of organizations that are opening their systems to Android or iPhone devices (or maybe ditching BES). It's probably not going to be marketed as an iPhone or Galaxy killer, so I doubt there will be any real fancy ads or blitzes.
    WT44 likes this.
    10-18-15 09:15 AM
    I agree, a very disjointed attempt at advertising. However, what drew my eye was "only in black". These days, that's not really a selling point. Most manufacturers have at least 3-4 colors and I think one of the reasons the Moto series has been so popular is because of the customization. If they bring it only in black, a significant amount of people will be disappointed. Look through CB, plenty of love for the three color variations for the PP and a significant number of people wanting that fabled bronze Classic. Aesthetics do matter these days. Just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 and Q10Bold like this.
    10-18-15 10:55 AM
    I agree, a very disjointed attempt at advertising. However, what drew my eye was "only in black". These days, that's not really a selling point. Most manufacturers have at least 3-4 colors and I think one of the reasons the Moto series has been so popular is because of the customization. If they bring it only in black, a significant amount of people will be disappointed. Look through CB, plenty of love for the three color variations for the PP and a significant number of people wanting that fabled bronze Classic. Aesthetics do matter these days. Just my two cents.
    I believe that is BB is making a positive out of a very real negative ... they don't have much money these days, and doing production runs with multiple colours (and possibly being stuck with unsold inventory for the unpopular colours) is a risk they don't have to take. Hence the "only in black", which could be viewed (if I was charitable) as BB making a style statement.
    xanadome and nokia4life like this.
    10-18-15 11:03 AM
    I believe that is BB is making a positive out of a very real negative ... they don't have much money these days, and doing production runs with multiple colours (and possibly being stuck with unsold inventory for the unpopular colours) is a risk they don't have to take. Hence the "only in black", which could be viewed (if I was charitable) as BB making a style statement.
    I agree. If they didn't make a push to turn it around "black is more elegant, classic, enterprise" etc... they'd get burned on the release. But, consumers won't really care. I know Chen has to control costs but I think at a minimum a white needs to roll out day one as well, although it appears that won't be the case

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:12 AM
    I said this from the first visual, about font, spacing etc...

There is no visual identity coherent with BlackBerry.
    10-18-15 11:16 AM
    Touch & Type option would more than likely, spark curiosity in the average consumer. Probably bait a person into - at least - reading further, to find out what that means.

You have hardcore, faithful users of their OS of choice. Then you have those that are looking for something different. It cannot be from a company that is "dead" or "dying". Almost everyone thinks BlackBerry is dead or dying. It would seem as though Android is here to stay. This device has to be very capable. Advertising is secondary.
    Advertising and functionality go hand in hand. However, as far as importance is concerned. The OS function and capabilities have to be spot on. BlackBerry can't afford to advertise a piece of junk.

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.2.2639 on AT&T
    10-18-15 12:52 PM
    Man this is awful
    10-18-15 01:12 PM
    I said this from the first visual, about font, spacing etc...

There is no visual identity coherent with BlackBerry.
    It does seem like they don't know what their message is. Is It Supposed To Be An Elegant Solution For Enterprise?

And what is the "ooh am I in there?" ad in black and white?

Strange design language.
    10-18-15 01:31 PM
    marketing is beyond blackberry. I would really love to meet the people behind the scenes of all of this.
    10-18-15 01:34 PM
    marketing is beyond blackberry. I would really love to meet the people behind the scenes of all of this.
    I've love to meet them, too. I've only seen pictures.

chopachain, KAM1138, bbnrs and 5 others like this.
    10-18-15 01:57 PM
    Better than no marketing

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-18-15 02:16 PM
    You're right, it's embarrassing. I'm really not a designer but even I know there should be some kind of brand identity. All I've seen so far from the Priv kind of looks really amateurish. Typography etc looks poor in my opinion. I don't know, maybe they want to depart from the known CI... but like this?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 02:20 PM
    I have to comment again it is that bad I feel for them its a total shambles shocking no words can describe it. If you think that priv marketkng thing holds any weight you need your eyes checked and your head checked no one can dispute that. It is a total shambles. people will say it's better than nothing but it's not doing nothing for them apart from embarrassing themselves. blackberry does not even know what embarrassment means If they did they would not be putting stuff like this out there. No one can be telling them it looks good surely not.
    10-18-15 02:33 PM
    It's a bit hard not to wonder just how much flesh, and bone, and nerve tissue, has been trimmed off the organisation, along with the fat.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-18-15 02:55 PM
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Once the official dates have been announced I would think we will see the full campaign. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    xanadome likes this.
    10-18-15 05:43 PM
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Once the official dates have been announced I would think we will see the full campaign.
    Well Hopefully The Full Campaign Doesn't Have This Super Annoying Thing Where They Capitalize The First Letter All The Time And Use An Awful Font!

Give them the benefit of the doubt.
    ok. Is this the farm team's work we've seen so far and they are saving the good stuff for the launch? Let's hope so.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-18-15 06:10 PM
    Actually came here to yawn at the negativity, but I cringed at that 'marketing.' What's Surface Book got to do with this? Yikes BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 06:11 PM
    Actually came here to yawn at the negativity, but I cringed at that 'marketing.' What's Surface Book got to do with this? Yikes BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    OP went to a webpage and Google Ads showed him an ad based on his Internet browsing history.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 06:19 PM
    We have all complained about the lack of marketing by BlackBerry, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but they should stop marketing.

This company has completely lost its identity, consistency and quality.

Let's break down the advert which is via Google Adsense

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151018_132807.png 
Views:	2773 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	376297

"BlackBerry powered by Android"
    They are not using their own brand guidelines, the PDF clearly outlines how the logo must be used, they aren't using the actual blackberry logo, it's that stupid font again.

The paragraph feels like a girl who is a big Justin Bieber fan wrote it with the insane uppercase, smaller uppercase characters. Text is hard enough to read on an advert, they just made it that much more difficult.

Reminds me of the days when people's usernames were like
    xXx_pRiNcEsS_xXx
    BlACKbeRRy PrIv

Speaking of text, why is there no pic of the Priv and the keyboard?

Now this may sound like armchair design/marketing, and usually when giving advice to a ceo, the person can't actually take the ceo place, in this instant, I would happily take the place of the designers tasked with the branding of the Priv OR at the very least, assist without charge because it's quite obvious they have an unpaid intern working for them at this moment in time.

If I wasn't a crackberry user and I saw that advert, I'd have no idea at first glance what it's about and would totally ignore it.

* Touch and type options means nothing to most people
    * only in black? Irrelevant for a paid advert, only talk about colour IF there is additional variants, wasted real estate
    * switch now, again, wasted real estate

If anyone knows a guy who knows a guy at Blackberry, you know what to do.

Posted via CB10
    I for one am happy with BlackBerry ads. I see their display ads all the time and even if it's mostly because I don't clear my cookies I don't mind. I'm 100% the target market.

There's nothing wrong with this ad. It's trying to dominate the page with copy. You're forced to read and it's engaging. The font is flat and on par with standards. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 06:21 PM
    I for one am happy with BlackBerry ads. I see their display ads all the time and even if it's mostly because I don't clear my cookies I don't mind. I'm 100% the target market.

There's nothing wrong with this ad. It's trying to dominate the page with copy. You're forced to read and it's engaging. The font is flat and on par with standards. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    10-18-15 06:24 PM
88 123 ...