Checked out a Priv at a Telus store today and found myself feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Overall, the phone looks nice and is well constructed. Despite its relatively large screen, it's smaller than it looks in the pre-release pictures we've seen. It's also surprisingly light, which is a bit of a surprise, considering that the last few phones from BlackBerry have felt a little overbuilt.

The keyboard felt a bit spongy and the tactile feel it offered is nowhere near as good as the keyboard on my BlackBerry Passport. I felt the keys were also a little cramped, and that's really saying something, given that I have small hands. Then again, that is to be expected, considering the overall form and design of the phone. The phone seemed to be fairly snappy and responsive, and the display is excellent.

However, the phone has a largely stock Android UI, and slide-out keyboard aside, there just didn't seem to be much to distinguish the Priv from other Android phones on the market. It certainly isn't cheaper than other high-end Android phones.

In short, I didn't feel that the Priv compared well to my Passport. It's a shame that BlackBerry weren't able to better leverage the BB10 OS and get lots of developers on board, because I really believe that as operating systems go, it blows the doors off Android.
    4trp likes this.
    11-21-15 04:35 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts OP! You seem to share what many have said about a slightly cramped keyboard. I think anyone coming from a passport is going to think the same thing
    11-21-15 04:51 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts OP! You seem to share what many have said about a slightly cramped keyboard. I think anyone coming from a passport is going to think the same thing
    You are so right about that. When the Passport came out people complained about it being so big and not being able to type with one hand. Now the keyboard is too small. Go figure. I like both of them. They both have their benefits.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and DolemiteDONS like this.
    11-21-15 05:44 PM
    Hi all. Played with the AT&T version and I must say that I loved everything about exempt for for the keyboard. It was very difficult for me to type without making a mistake. I do not have big fingers so I was surprised. Other than this, for me, this devise is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    11-21-15 06:21 PM
    It's their first kick at the cat, let's see what the updates bring and future devices appear if this Priv is a hit. Also .....this keyboard isn't so bad if you've ever ran a Pearl flip lol

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    11-21-15 06:23 PM
    I played with one last week. Construction felt solid, although I didn't attempt to bend/flex it. I've seen a few pics of beans tests and it's a little scary. Also, if bf interested to sat a roadmap for updates.
    11-21-15 06:46 PM
    Hi all. Played with the AT&T version and I must say that I loved everything about exempt for for the keyboard. It was very difficult for me to type without making a mistake. I do not have big fingers so I was surprised. Other than this, for me, this devise is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    Would you say you made more or less mistakes than the keyboard you used to type this post?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    nuff_said, garpt and Camelhmpz like this.
    11-21-15 06:51 PM
    They are completely different form factors, to state the obvious. The Passport is tough to compare to pretty much anything. I love the Passport design too, it's stellar, my favorite BlackBerry design so far. However, after time with the PRIV, it's a very close second or even 'tied' now.

Of course the physical keyboard on the PRIV is smaller and of course a user of a Passport is going to have to adjust, again, obvious. I'm lucky because it didn't take me more than a couple hours with the PRIV to become adjusted to its smaller physical keyboard, and now I love it. I'm also lucky, I guess, because I can jump right back onto this Passport and not miss a beat (got hockey playing on the PRIV!)...

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 09:54 PM
    BlackBerry designs the best hardware! Android or BlackBerry 10. I'm still completely hooked on BlackBerry devices. Maybe even a fiend.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 10:01 PM
    Totally understand ! I agree to this, I came from passport and I use the screen keyboard but I'm trying to get to use the physical keyboard as often as I can. But I still love and miss my PP but I'm in love with the Priv as well

11-21-15 10:24 PM
    Yep. It changed my mind from dumping my LG G2 on Verizon and going with the Priv while closing my TMO account that has my Passport. To... keeping the Passport. And replacing thr G2 with some other Android flagship. Just can't go from the Passport KB to the Priv. Especially not at the price BlackBerry wants.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    FalkirkEagle likes this.
    11-21-15 10:48 PM
    Would you say you made more or less mistakes than the keyboard you used to type this post?

Small keyboard results. Toyed with one at an AT&T store, hated the pkb but loved the vkb. The vkb is like my Z30, going to get the Priv when it lands at big red.
    Last edited by phuoc; 11-22-15 at 12:35 AM.
    11-21-15 11:31 PM
    You have to think of the Priv keyboard similar to what you thought of the Passport keyboard when it came out. It will get better and better with practice. I remember getting my Passport on launch day and thinking it was too big and the keyboard was terrible and no way I could get use to it. After practice practice practice, I ended up loving the keyboard as well as the width of the screen. I think it'll be the same with the Priv. I am enjoying the keyboard the more I practice, practice, practice and I did not like it a first coming from a Passport but I gave it a chance and I am really enjoying the device so far.

11-22-15 12:31 AM
    Checked out a Priv at a Telus store today and found myself feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Overall, the phone looks nice and is well constructed. Despite its relatively large screen, it's smaller than it looks in the pre-release pictures we've seen. It's also surprisingly light, which is a bit of a surprise, considering that the last few phones from BlackBerry have felt a little overbuilt.

The keyboard felt a bit spongy and the tactile feel it offered is nowhere near as good as the keyboard on my BlackBerry Passport. I felt the keys were also a little cramped, and that's really saying something, given that I have small hands. Then again, that is to be expected, considering the overall form and design of the phone. The phone seemed to be fairly snappy and responsive, and the display is excellent.

However, the phone has a largely stock Android UI, and slide-out keyboard aside, there just didn't seem to be much to distinguish the Priv from other Android phones on the market. It certainly isn't cheaper than other high-end Android phones.

In short, I didn't feel that the Priv compared well to my Passport. It's a shame that BlackBerry weren't able to better leverage the BB10 OS and get lots of developers on board, because I really believe that as operating systems go, it blows the doors off Android.
    I think BlackBerry should use the priv to draw eyes to the BlackBerry company. From there they can offer the same phone with different os. Give the client a discount to chose the bbos device over its android version. Allow Google services to run on bbos and let it come pre-installed with the playstore.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-15 12:48 AM
    Gee, if they could have done that, do you think building Android phone was necessary? When keeping a Crackberry account in active status, it must be necessary to pass weekly quizzes on basic OS requirements and limitations. Then maybe bake a chocolate type double layered cake with the healthiness of bowl of banana with Apple slices.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-15 12:56 AM
    Gee, if they could have done that, do you think building Android phone was necessary? When keeping a Crackberry account in active status, it must be necessary to pass weekly quizzes on basic OS requirements and limitations. Then maybe bake a chocolate type double layered cake with the healthiness of bowl of banana with Apple slices.

Posted via CB10
    Too funny dude:-)
    11-22-15 01:57 AM
    I felt the keys were also a little cramped, and that's really saying something, given that I have small hands.
    Small hands don't always mean thin fingers. I do have small hands AND thin fingers and the keyboard on the Q10 and Classic are perfect. The Privs keyboard is just as wide as the Classic keyboard but a little less high.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-15 02:16 AM