Just a quick check of hands:

Those of you with a unit with a "perfect" keyboard, do the bottom row keys feel the same as all the others?

On my new Priv, the keys on top 3 rows are all very uniform, nice and clicky; the bottom row keys are also uniform between them, just noticeably less clicky and a touch more "shallow".

I'm kind of thinking this is "normal" since I noticed that on my Q10, the bottom row keys have a slightly different feel to them as well... Although having taken the Q10 apart on more than 1 occassion, I'm not entirely sure why would that be, there's no mechanical reason for the keys on the bottom row to feel any different.
    12-12-16 12:03 PM
    All of my physical keys seem to respond the same. I had to pick up my phone and type a sentence to see because I do not spend a lot of time on smaller stuff like this. Sometimes people can be concerned about the feel of a certain key on the pkb but in reality it may be how you, the one typing, happens to strike the key. A little different angle might give a different "feel".

As long as I can type quickly and accurately on my Priv, I am not too concerned by "feelings".
    12-12-16 12:10 PM
    All of my physical keys seem to respond the same. I had to pick up my phone and type a sentence to see because I do not spend a lot of time on smaller stuff like this. Sometimes people can be concerned about the feel of a certain key on the pkb but in reality it may be how you, the one typing, happens to strike the key. A little different angle might give a different "feel".

As long as I can type quickly and accurately on my Priv, I am not too concerned by "feelings".
    Cheers. Another possible way of phrasing my question would have been to explicitly ask if those with "mushy" or "too soft" or "non-clicky" pkbs have the problem keys scattered all over the layout or do the different "feeling" keys really come in bunches, like a whole row feeling different from the rest.
    12-12-16 12:14 PM
    The keys all have a nice click to them. Nothing is mushy on my Priv. They all respond well. Nothing seems to stick and certainly no double strike issues. I am very pleased.
    12-12-16 12:17 PM
    The keys all have a nice click to them. Nothing is mushy on my Priv. They all respond well. Nothing seems to stick and certainly no double strike issues. I am very pleased.
    Same for me as well and I've had my Priv since launch. Use my pkb probably 95% of the time.

Bob
    12-12-16 12:34 PM
    I just looked at my statistics and was surprised to see that my physical keyboard usage is less than it was when I first got the Priv.

My only issue I have is the tendency to hit the alt key instead of the "a" key.
    12-12-16 12:54 PM
    Interesting... just checked mine...😁

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails PKB bottom row-97793.jpg  
    12-12-16 02:11 PM
    Silly me, where do I view those stats ??

Oh yeah, bottom row is the same except spacebar a scoch less feedback off center of it...

Wish the alt key were taller
    12-12-16 02:37 PM
    The best example is when you have a stuck power button or volume button - not sure if people know what that feels like.

It was a problem common to the Playbook.

But if you pressed it at the right spot, it would work. If you pressed it like a normal user, it wouldn't work most of the time loll

Basically - yes, it does come down to how you press the button but that's not accurate nor fair really. Because if you type on the key the way it is meant to be typed on, it should depress and click every single time.

If you have to pause for a moment and press that one particular mushy key in the exact angle, that defeats the purpose.

The mushy key can be so bad so as to not even register as a key press when you're typing, leading to typos.

#whatisclassic
    Last edited by evodevo69; 12-12-16 at 03:22 PM.
    12-12-16 02:38 PM
    Just a quick check of hands:

Those of you with a unit with a "perfect" keyboard, do the bottom row keys feel the same as all the others?

On my new Priv, the keys on top 3 rows are all very uniform, nice and clicky; the bottom row keys are also uniform between them, just noticeably less clicky and a touch more "shallow".

I'm kind of thinking this is "normal" since I noticed that on my Q10, the bottom row keys have a slightly different feel to them as well... Although having taken the Q10 apart on more than 1 occassion, I'm not entirely sure why would that be, there's no mechanical reason for the keys on the bottom row to feel any different.
    Having said all that with my prior post - when I had a perfect keyboard, all keys clicked the same except the spacebar, which was more shallow. But it still registered each time I typed on it.

#whatisclassic
    12-12-16 02:39 PM
    In settings... Language and Input... Keyboard Settings... Statistics.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails PKB bottom row-97801.jpg  
    12-12-16 02:49 PM

Oh yeah, bottom row is the same except spacebar a scoch less feedback off center of it...

Wish the alt key were taller
    Found...
    Attached Thumbnails PKB bottom row-360525.jpg  
    12-12-16 02:50 PM
    Thanks for the input & insights, guys.

It seems I'll be initiating the exchange sequence; I was kind of trying to think it's something I could "live with" - who uses the right shift and the 0/mic key anyway, eh - but the left shift, sym & space all see heavy use and those keys really are too different from the rest of the pack for me to blissfully ignore the issue. :/
    12-12-16 03:12 PM
    Thanks for the input & insights, guys.

It seems I'll be initiating the exchange sequence; I was kind of trying to think it's something I could "live with" - who uses the right shift and the 0/mic key anyway, eh - but the left shift, sym & space all see heavy use and those keys really are too different from the rest of the pack for me to blissfully ignore the issue. :/
    Oh yes - those are critical keys. All of them are.

Listen, this is how I see it - IF the mushy key is such that you have to stop your workflow and press the key more than once because it doesn't register the first time OR you aren't sure if you pressed it the first time - that is not acceptable and should be returned.

4 out of 5 Priv's I have were like that.

I'm currently exchanging my 5th one and let's see how the 6th one is.

#whatisclassic
    12-12-16 03:24 PM
    More or less, yeah.
    12-12-16 05:46 PM
    Oh yes - those are critical keys. All of them are.

Listen, this is how I see it - IF the mushy key is such that you have to stop your workflow and press the key more than once because it doesn't register the first time OR you aren't sure if you pressed it the first time - that is not acceptable and should be returned.

4 out of 5 Priv's I have were like that.

I'm currently exchanging my 5th one and let's see how the 6th one is.

#whatisclassic
    I hardly ever use the 4th row. When you swipe down on the kb, once or twice, the alt and the sym menus come up. I got used to doing it on the Passport, so I'm still doing it on the Priv. You can also create a custom kb that comes up first.

And my word substitution list is full of words that are normally written with apostrophes (don't, haven't, etc), so I rarely actually type it.

My 4th row is a little mushy, but not a deal breaker.
    12-12-16 06:20 PM