Who else is thinking about the Pixel 4a to replace the ageing Priv?
    08-05-20 09:02 AM
    Looks like a really great option. Most every review I've seen has been positive. Small things like no SD Card, IP-rating or Wireless Charging... are to be expected.

And Google's support can't be beat by any other Android OEM in this price range.
    08-05-20 09:20 AM
    Looks like a really great option. Most every review I've seen has been positive. Small things like no SD Card, IP-rating or Wireless Charging... are to be expected.

And Google's support can't be beat by any other Android OEM in this price range.
    Yep, I'm not too concerned about wireless charging or sd cards...it's not too expensive so it makes sense. I think I'll pull the trigger on one in the next few days and keep the Priv as a backup or use it just at home
    08-05-20 03:53 PM
    Yep, I'm not too concerned about wireless charging or sd cards...it's not too expensive so it makes sense. I think I'll pull the trigger on one in the next few days and keep the Priv as a backup or use it just at home
    It's not a BlackBerry... but let us know how it goes.
    08-05-20 04:00 PM
    It's not a BlackBerry... but let us know how it goes.
    Will do. I'm keeping my Priv as a second device... I'm sure I'm going to miss a few things about it
    08-05-20 11:16 PM
    I use the Pixel 3a now for over two month and : It's the first phone of my live, where I have nothing to complain about. Google doing it right !
    08-06-20 03:27 AM
    My only complaint about the pixel (and 99% of the smartphone marketplace) is the lack of a keyboard, I understand that "you just need to move on" and "it's better for the screen to body ratio" and other complaints like that, but I have used both a touchscreen keyboard and a physical one and I have to say that a physical one is a lot nicer to handle, but then again if you are disregarding the keyboard then I would agree that the Pixel 4a is a nice phone
    08-08-20 05:22 PM
    Who else is thinking about the Pixel 4a to replace the ageing Priv?
    I placed an order for two, one for me and one for my wife.
    08-08-20 06:37 PM
    I placed an order for two, one for me and one for my wife.
    It's in my cart...haven't pulled the trigger yet. Sucks that it will only arrive after Sept 10 in Canada... I wonder if waiting to get it from a retailer would actually be faster
    08-10-20 10:45 AM
    It's in my cart...haven't pulled the trigger yet. Sucks that it will only arrive after Sept 10 in Canada... I wonder if waiting to get it from a retailer would actually be faster
    It's possible... As August 20 is the date it's suppose to be available in stores.

It's not going to be HUGE seller, but I wouldn't be surprised if early demand doesn't outpace initial inventory levels. Might walk in to a Best Buy or Bell in Canada on August 20, to find delivery is now near the end of Sept....
    08-10-20 11:01 AM
    I ordered it from Best Buy. The phones are supposed to be ready for pickup on the 24th. Hopefully earlier so I have the weekend to get our phones setup.
    08-10-20 11:04 AM
    It will be a good upgrade. I have a 4xl. I love the camera, prompt monthly updates, and the Google Assistant call screening feature.
    tfitzpat03 likes this.
    08-10-20 04:41 PM
    It's possible... As August 20 is the date it's suppose to be available in stores.

It's not going to be HUGE seller, but I wouldn't be surprised if early demand doesn't outpace initial inventory levels. Might walk in to a Best Buy or Bell in Canada on August 20, to find delivery is now near the end of Sept....
    August 20 is the date for the US. Sept 10 is the date for Canada (for whatever reasons)...delivery is between Sept 10 and 16.. So I'm hoping stores will have it in stock on Sept 10 for pickups without further delays
    08-10-20 06:28 PM
    I ordered it from Best Buy. The phones are supposed to be ready for pickup on the 24th. Hopefully earlier so I have the weekend to get our phones setup.
    Is this in the US? Can't you just go to the store on Aug 20th?
    08-10-20 06:29 PM
    Is this in the US? Can't you just go to the store on Aug 20th?
    I'll be calling starting the 20th. From what I read it ships the 20th. I'll see.
    08-10-20 06:39 PM
    Good report from Android Police:

"In America, this is a lot of phone for $350. In fact, I see no reason to buy any currently on sale Android smartphone that doesn't cost as least twice as much as the 4a."
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-11-20 12:44 AM
    Good report from Android Police:

"In America, this is a lot of phone for $350. In fact, I see no reason to buy any currently on sale Android smartphone that doesn't cost as least twice as much as the 4a."
    Are you thinking of changing your mind re the Nokia 8.3? I just picked up a Nokia 9 for the camera and it really is a nice phone and stock Android is super quick...
    08-11-20 06:48 AM
    Are you thinking of changing your mind re the Nokia 8.3? I just picked up a Nokia 9 for the camera and it really is a nice phone and stock Android is super quick...
    It will be between the Nokia 8.3 5G and the Pixel 4A 5G. I'm still leaning toward the former.
    Grungni likes this.
    08-11-20 07:59 AM
    just ordered a Pixel 4a through the Google Store Canada...the delivery date has already been pushed by few dates, but no biggie.. few days won't be the end of the world.

I thought about the 5G one, but that comes out later and will likely need a 5G plan and I'm not willing to giveup my current plan...plus 5G networks are not fully baked yet
    08-11-20 09:44 AM
    just ordered a Pixel 4a through the Google Store Canada...the delivery date has already been pushed by few dates, but no biggie.. few days won't be the end of the world.

I thought about the 5G one, but that comes out later and will likely need a 5G plan and I'm not willing to giveup my current plan...plus 5G networks are not fully baked yet
    You don't need a special plan. I'm just looking at the entire 3 year ownership period.
    08-11-20 09:47 AM
    You don't need a special plan. I'm just looking at the entire 3 year ownership period.
    I read somewhere that it has to be a 5G plan or at least they will charge more for 5G access. Rogers says they're giving 5G access free of charge until March 2021, so I'm assuming some fees will be applied eventually, plus the Ottawa region is only being serviced with 5G through Rogers only and it doesn't even cover the whole area...I'm with Telus on a cheap plan.

Also, isn't 5G not going to be implemented to its full potential for another two years or so?
    08-11-20 10:09 AM
    I read somewhere that it has to be a 5G plan or at least they will charge more for 5G access. Rogers says they're giving 5G access free of charge until March 2021, so I'm assuming some fees will be applied eventually, plus the Ottawa region is only being serviced with 5G through Rogers only and it doesn't even cover the whole area...I'm with Telus on a cheap plan.

Also, isn't 5G not going to be implemented to its full potential for another two years or so?
    I think it will get here faster than you think. I also think competitive pressures will not allow premiums.
    Last edited by conite; 08-11-20 at 12:42 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-11-20 10:11 AM
    For anyone who doesn't want to give up their BlackBerry for email and writing, simply tether it to your new phone's WiFi and double carry. It's been worth it for me as I am much more effective on BB10 and I can see it solving the PKB problem for some.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-11-20 11:40 AM
    I think it will get here faster than you think. I also think competitive pressures will not allow premiums.
    Not sure there will be much competition between Bell, Rogers, and Telus. They always managed to keep the prices high... I wish we had more companies here...
    08-11-20 03:30 PM
    Not sure there will be much competition between Bell, Rogers, and Telus. They always managed to keep the prices high... I wish we had more companies here...
    I suspect that once things settle down... we won't see much here either. T-Mobile is going to flex their new muscles a little.
    08-11-20 03:57 PM
50 12