Please re introduce the swipe to preview gesture in the camera. Swipe to preview from the icon in the blackberry camera in bb10 was there but no longer in the Priv. That was one of the best features in BB10.
    Protip: you can long-press on the thumbnail to preview! (and share/edit/delete)
    gizmo21 likes this.
    11-11-15 10:06 PM
    Protip: you can long-press on the thumbnail to preview! (and share/edit/delete)
    Ya but swiping up making it quick to preview and just let go was so quick and slick.

Thanks for the tips btw

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 10:14 PM
    Smcv do you feel that the Priv camera has the ability to compete with the Nexus and Apple cameras once more improvements are made? Honestly for a flag ship the camera is either 1st or second (battery life) for most people.
    11-12-15 10:11 PM
    Thought I would take the opportunity to occasionally dispense a bit of technical trivia...

When designing the PRIV camera, viewfinder performance was a key consideration. The faster you can run your viewfinder, the faster you can run autofocus, etc.
    We ended up dialing it in between 40 and 50fps.
    When placed side by side with most other Android phones, I think you'll find the experience is like seeing the difference between 30fps and 60fps videos

Oh, also, PRIV gets a 2-stop boost in sensitivity in the viewfinder by summing pixels in-sensor, which means it can keep the framerate up higher even in darker environments. In dimmer light, when other Android cameras start dropping framerate, PRIV is still nice and smooth.
    The camera is great. The software needs work. I have downloaded a different app for now. I hope you folks keep working on it. Thanks for the improved hardward.
    11-12-15 10:14 PM
    Smcv do you feel that the Priv camera has the ability to compete with the Nexus and Apple cameras once more improvements are made?
    The goal is to be competitive with comparable devices. Reviews can often be subjective, and you will find some that land on either side of that goal. Objective lab measurements can tell you which camera is sharper in which conditions, or has more or less noise, or contrast, or colour accuracy, artifacting, video stability, etc.. Quality improvement is an ongoing active process, and the next update will move the bar higher.
    11-12-15 10:38 PM
    Hey smcv, glad to know that you're on the forums and that updates are on its way. Just wondering if you and the team have figured out a fix for the "bleached green tint ffc"....... Or is my device defective. I've attached a picture of my white ceiling with the majority of my light of.
    Attached Thumbnails A piece of PRIV camera trivia-1447390479925.jpg  
    11-12-15 10:59 PM
    Hey smcv, glad to know that you're on the forums and that updates are on its way. Just wondering if you and the team have figured out a fix for the "bleached green tint ffc"....... Or is my device defective. I've attached a picture of my white ceiling with the majority of my light of.
    Will provide more information when I can.
    11-12-15 11:12 PM
    Do you know if they will be fixing the camera software soon.. I've been really disappointed with it so far in low light. Color shifting and too cold in color. I really appreciated the passports warmness and richness. Now a lot of post picture editing to get the same results.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-12-15 11:51 PM
    Do you know if they will be fixing the camera software soon.. I've been really disappointed with it so far in low light. Color shifting and too cold in color. I really appreciated the passports warmness and richness. Now a lot of post picture editing to get the same results.
    As has been mentioned, our tuning improvements are continuing. Have you installed the latest app from Google Play? It should have much better low-light performance vs the out-of-box version. Additional platform-level updates will be improving this further, as well as improving white balance, among other things.

If you want to share some of your low-light photos, I would be happy to have the image quality team here take a look. You can send them to me via PM. Challenges in tuning camera performance tend to include always wanting more sample images to base decisions on. There are an infinite number of scenes out there! Colour cast (cold) is an interesting subject, and our lead tuning engineer would love to talk to you about it for hours Have you tried out any of the live filters by any chance?
    11-13-15 12:09 AM
    As has been mentioned, our tuning improvements are continuing. Have you installed the latest app from Google Play? It should have much better low-light performance vs the out-of-box version. Additional platform-level updates will be improving this further, as well as improving white balance, among other things.

If you want to share some of your low-light photos, I would be happy to have the image quality team here take a look. You can send them to me via PM. Challenges in tuning camera performance tend to include always wanting more sample images to base decisions on. There are an infinite number of scenes out there! Colour cast (cold) is an interesting subject, and our lead tuning engineer would love to talk to you about it for hours Have you tried out any of the live filters by any chance?
    On here?

11-13-15 12:24 AM
    Is there a way to 'report' this post as 'awesome'?

11-13-15 12:27 AM

Would you guys consider the new upcoming device a.k.a Viena to have
    1. 4,000+ mAh removable battery,
    2. 3:4 ratio,
    3. HD screen (conserve battery),
    4. 12mp back,
    5. 5mp front,
    6. dual-sim,
    7. android,
    8. Could be sOc 801, 3gb ram.
    Main purpose would be to modern fast and can conserve battery. Coz a lot of smartphones of today are limited by battery. This can stand out easily. Seeing Priv being very thin yet having monster battery, then you guys really do have topnotch engineers.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 02:01 AM
    I think you've done a great job with the main camera, smvc and team - it really takes great photographs.

I am however very disappointed with the selfie camera. It's 2015 and we still can't take a sharp, clear selfie? I know, I know, not everyone cares about selfies. But I like the occasional selfie and it sucks that I still need to carry an iPod from 2012 which takes better selfies.
    Brad Morse likes this.
    11-13-15 02:38 AM
    Just a quick question. Is there a way to do night mode for better pictures at night time without flash like there is on BB10? If so, how do I access it?

11-13-15 07:19 AM
    Just a quick question. Is there a way to do night mode for better pictures at night time without flash like there is on BB10? If so, how do I access it?
    Turning off the flash will get you into a long exposure mode for reducing noise in low light images. This mode also kicks in when flash is in AUTO for light levels just above the flash turn-on threshold, but below what we could consider "bright enough".
    geekaren likes this.
    11-15-15 05:45 PM
    I'll post a link here when I have my camera review up.... I'm comparing against the Passport but also setting a very high bar with my 5d3.... all shots in identical conditions to the best of my ability (at the same time of day, same place, same focus point, etc)

It's proving difficult to get a set of shots I'm happy with that actually are comparable..... so far the Priv's camera is really impressing me. It's not a 5d3 but artifacting in particular with off-main-subject items in the shadows is very well controlled. A lot of cameras fall flat apart under those conditions.
    smcv likes this.
    11-15-15 06:09 PM
    I'll post a link here when I have my camera review up.... I'm comparing against the Passport but also setting a very high bar with my 5d3.... all shots in identical conditions to the best of my ability (at the same time of day, same place, same focus point, etc)

It's proving difficult to get a set of shots I'm happy with that actually are comparable..... so far the Priv's camera is really impressing me. It's not a 5d3 but artifacting in particular with off-main-subject items in the shadows is very well controlled. A lot of cameras fall flat apart under those conditions.

Tickerguy? Are you seeing the green tint in the front facing camera?
    11-15-15 11:25 PM
    I'll post a link here when I have my camera review up....
    I didn't realize you were on CB too.
    Posted links to your 3-part review here on this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...parts-1049176/
    11-15-15 11:47 PM
    Great to have BlackBerry employees in here.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 12:05 AM
    Will provide more information when I can.
    From other thread, it seems like high CPU usage all the time (even when low priority tasks are being done) causes BB Priv to heat up slightly and that heat causes greenish tint in camera. This is just a wild guess on another thread. Nobody else seems to have reported this green-ish tint issue.

Generally speaking, not specific to camera, it'd be a good idea to optimize BB Services on PRIV so that PRIV is not using full CPU power/ all cores all the time. Keep it underclocked for most of the time so that heat is under control and only un-throttle when high CPU intensive tasks are being done (eg: heavy graphic game play). And as added bonus, this will likely improve battery life too.
    11-16-15 12:13 AM
    I think there are 2 threads about the green tint.

Returned my first one.
    The current one I have still has it.
    11-16-15 12:31 AM
    Don't ask smcv the same questions over and over again, it's great to have staff on a external forum so why bother them with repeating questions.
    "Green tint" and "decision why 2MP frontfacing" should be already answered or investigated afaik.

Use search feature with member option: smcv and see if he answered that already.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    11-16-15 12:33 AM
    Sorry just saw this and didn't see the reply on the crackberry app.. The newer camera update has really improved the pictures.. Thank you guys for your hard work
    12-21-15 10:43 PM
    Thanks a lot for all your amazing work on the Priv Camera !!

Posted via my Priv by BlackBerry
    12-22-15 12:33 AM
    Yea really excited to pick one up and pretty amazing that we had someone from BlackBerry actually come answer some questions.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 02:05 AM
51 123