When I send an email through the Hub, a standard 4:3 picture is sent rotated when attached to email. Any idea ?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-02-16 07:29 AM
    I would like to know a solution to this too.

03-02-16 03:04 PM
    Can you provide me with a set of steps for how to reproduce the issue? Does this happen with all pictures or just some? Are you re-sizing the images?
    03-02-16 07:25 PM
    also, do they look sideways when composing? or only at the receiving end?
    03-02-16 07:27 PM
    I have found that the pictures are only rotated when sent at a lower resolution than original . Sequence is as follows:

- take a picture, portrait 4:3
    - go to hub, compose, email
    - add picture as attachment
    - send
    - if I choose original size, it stays portrait. If I choose the second option, picture is rotated

Thanks for helping

03-03-16 08:30 AM
    I seem to have this issue as well when the device is in portrait position (upright not sideways) when I take a picture. It's really annoying as it does attach sideways for example attaching to email and facebook.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    03-03-16 09:30 AM
    Yep got this too

03-03-16 09:31 AM
    Well when there's smoke there's usually fire, unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce this. Admittedly though, I am running a version of Hub that isn't the same as you guys

If you guys could take some logs for me, I'd really appreciate it...

1) First go into system settings -- About Phone and tap the “Build Number” field a bunch of times. This will enable developer mode.
    2)Go back to the main settings menu and you should see “Developer options” above about phone item – tap this.
    3) There should be a toggle in there for “Bug report shortcut” – please turn this on. You may need to restart your device for this to take effect. You may also need to turn on USB Debugging.

Reproduce the issue(s) you are seeing – immediately after reproducing the issue, proceed with the below.

1) Hold Power button
    2) Choose create bug report (The lights will flash)
    3) Once the bug report is created, a notification shows in the shade
    4) They click on that, and choose how you want to share - typically best if you upload to Google Drive, or some other cloud provider to save it, and then share the .txt output back to me via PM

If you could also send me the picture in question I would really appreciate it. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    03-03-16 12:30 PM
    Bug report shortcut is greyed out, cannot activate

03-03-16 12:54 PM
    Bug report shortcut is greyed out, cannot activate

Are you able to tap the "Take Bug Report" item at the very top of the developer items list?
    03-03-16 01:20 PM
    No

Attached Thumbnails Pictures rotated when attached-99815.jpg  
    03-03-16 02:12 PM
    as an aside, is screen auto-rotating enabled on your devices and functioning correctly?
    03-03-16 02:12 PM
    already posted here and in bb support forum - no one answered:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-all-1062007/
    Sadly all pictures in portrait format get turned 90 degrees (or the portrait tag is lost) on resizing operation.

Hub v1.1.2.9470

Took a few peeks in solid explorers EXIF data and there a hub resized picture gets a Orientation = 0 which is invalid instead of original pictures orientation = 6:

ImpulseAdventure - JPEG / Exif Orientation and Rotation
    Perhaps now it can be taken care of...

Sorry I can't send reports atm as my priv (STV100-4 all updates till 02-11-16 were done - Hub v1.1.2.9470) is sent to bb, due to other issues
    Last edited by gizmo21; 03-04-16 at 04:54 AM.
    03-03-16 02:24 PM
    Yes, screen auto-rotating is enabled and functional

03-03-16 03:18 PM
    Interesting.. Like Cody, I am not seeing this problem here, nor do I remember ever seeing it... are the photos captured with the stock blackberry camera app?
    you can email a before and after photo to me, and I'll take a quick gander. PM me for email.
    03-03-16 05:56 PM
    @jsbenny - turn debogage USB (usb debugging) on and that should enable the rest of the bug report stuff. I'm not sure why it needs to be on to enable the rest, but seemingly the case.
    03-04-16 07:26 AM
    Thanks for the files @jsbenny.
    Managed to reproduce the problem.. only seems to happen when hub resizes the rendered photos that have non-zero EXIF orientation (HDR and low-light multiframe). Likely something like panorama would see a similar issue. Regular photos (eg. flash, non-HDR, non-lowlight) work fine, which would explain why some people don't see the problem.
    03-04-16 02:08 PM
    Bug logged for the development team to look at Huge thanks folks.
    jsbenny and gizmo21 like this.
    03-04-16 02:49 PM
    Bug logged for the development team to look at Huge thanks folks.
    Was wondering about this issue as well. Thanks for your help c_bryant34!!!

Posted securely from my Priv
    03-04-16 06:20 PM
    I have experienced this as well when sharing a picture to slimsocial (alternate Facebook app)
    03-04-16 06:51 PM
    Not sure if this is related, but when I receive images from my sister who sends via an iPhone, they tend to show up rotated. So, if it was taken in portrait 3:4 mode, it will come in landscape 4:3 mode and look sideways in my Hub email.

The images come in with no EXIF data at all, so I assume there's no orientation info for Hub to figure it out. My Outlook email client does the same thing with the same images. I guess the re-sizing on the iPhone is stripping all the EXIF data so Hub can only assume an orientation.

I don't think there's anything that can be done about that due to lack of EXIF data, but this thread at least helped me get to the root of my issue.
    03-06-16 10:13 AM
    Same type of thing happens if I upload Z30 PORTRAIT pictures to Crackberry threads. If I upload the actual image it will turn LANDSCAPE. Whereas if I view the image on my computer using Irfanview and then just REsave it, when uploaded it maintains its Portrait orientation. I gather something about the exif info is being skewed for some reason in the original image but once merely resaved, gets it sorted out. Why????

I have looked at the exif data but don't recall the outcome. Unlike a camera which generally only has three orientations, top is generally top in a camera, it can also have Portrait left or portrait right (being left handed I tend to turn it differently than my right handed friends). A phone has the four orientations although since it can be upside down, too. In Landscape (and with the Priv's centered lens) the lens can be left or right. Then it can be up or down.
    03-06-16 11:41 AM
    Same type of thing happens if I upload Z30 PORTRAIT pictures to Crackberry threads. If I upload the actual image it will turn LANDSCAPE. Whereas if I view the image on my computer using Irfanview and then just REsave it, when uploaded it maintains its Portrait orientation. I gather something about the exif info is being skewed for some reason in the original image but once merely resaved, gets it sorted out. Why????
    Depends on how the apps handle the images before upload or display. Lots of apps just use libjpeg or similar and decompress the image into a buffer, rescale it for upload, then recompress it. A lot of the time they neglect to propagate the original EXIF, or they neglect to rotate the pixel buffer after the decompression step. Based on your description, it sounds like the CrackBerry app ignores EXIF.

The behaviour will vary app to app based on whether the developer tested all the use cases or followed best practices for handling JPEGs. In your Irfanview case, it sounds like the get the buffer rotated correctly after the initial decompress.. this is a good way to do things for maximum compatibility, because not all image viewers even respect the EXIF data (window explorer was notorious for ignoring EXIF a while back, for example).

On BB10, we wanted to try and get the camera to always output properly rotated photos (so all viewers would show them correctly), and the Z10 could do it, but then we ran into limitations on subsequent chipsets and had to relax that requirement.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-07-16 03:24 PM